I have my CDL, Going to INDY to start Training!!!!!

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,935
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Can now get the basic CDL temps. Have taken the intial three tests, Gen Knowledge, Air Brakes and Combo Vehicles. Have three more tests to take( doubles/triples , tankers and haz mat) to have the full ride of endorsements. Have also filled out the online backround check for hazmat/tanker endorsement. THAT cost $90. They take the fingerprints on friday.

A customer told me today about the oil found in N Dakota? Saying jobs are falling out of trees with trucking being a big one. Like they cant get enough drivers. Hmmmm.

i read about that not to long ago...

they were looking for people to work local...and pay was in the 60K range if memory serves.
    Pay sounds GREAT for a new driver. But SHE doesnt live there and neither do her kids. Sooooooo, thats out.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Woot woot to you, Mickeyrat!

NBC Nightly News had something on the North Dakota job market this week _ I think it was just last night.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    A customer told me today about the oil found in N Dakota? Saying jobs are falling out of trees with trucking being a big one. Like they cant get enough drivers. Hmmmm.

yeah but you gotta live in north dakota...which wouldn't be bad in the non-winter months but what's the average winter temps? -1000 degrees? no thanks

good people up there...eh

it's like beign half canadian...eh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3z-j8o39I
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    but all those people moving to N. Dakota are living in their cars since there is nowhere to live. Or maybe it's because they can't afford anything right away...they didn't really clarify that.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    but all those people moving to N. Dakota are living in their cars since there is nowhere to live. Or maybe it's because they can't afford anything right away...they didn't really clarify that.

i could live in my truck for a few weeks...no problem....have the internet and plenty of tunes...all i need
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    there is absolutely NO infrastructure in place right now for this. The wont be able to build any housing til sprind thaw. I suppose trailer parks will spring up but damn, who wants to live in a trialer in that kind of winter?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

interesting...could work there for a few years and save like a mutherfucker :think:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

interesting...could work there for a few years and save like a mutherfucker :think:

no kidding....

want to invest in a bar?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Day 1?

Complete.

Just some light reading on "on duty time" for tonight plus some reading on pretrip inspection if I choose to. I should choose to!!

mickeyrat wrote:
    Day 1?

Complete.

Just some light reading on "on duty time" for tonight plus some reading on pretrip inspection if I choose to. I should choose to!!
    Choose to
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    LOG BOOKS!!!!!!
    Fill them out correctly or pay a hefty fine when not if you get caught.

Get to fill them out for each day at school.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    3 weeks will fly by...

I'm glad I'm on teh west coast
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    3 weeks will fly by...

I could take a job that was long haulo. GF wouldnt like it but....... :mrgreen:

mickeyrat wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    3 weeks will fly by...

gotta figure you are gonna hit chicago if you are doing anything even regional. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    3 weeks will fly by...

gotta figure you are gonna hit chicago if you are doing anything even regional. :?
    This recruiter today wa ssaying how her company doesnt deliver INtown in major cities. Just on the outerbelt. Other companies take it from there. Good pay. REALLY good pay. A truck with my name on the door. Just need to ask our resident truckers their thoughts on flat beds.

Alrighty then.

Day 5.

Straight line backing.

Ok, mostly straight line backing. Did stay in between the cones though. Feel pretty comfortable.

IF I get a prehire from them , I think I found my company. Smaller almost local just about an hour north of home. Running east of the mississippi hauling steel. "covered wagon" flat bed. Both tractor and trailer assigned to me. Home every weekend. Decent pay scale for new driver AND decent enough tuition reimbursement (2/3) for me.

Just stay east of il and we are cool mr rubber duck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Just stay east of il and we are cool mr rubber duck
    hmm, IF I get hired I think I'll wait til week 2 to tell the boss, " Nope , sorry but the smoking baby says I cant go there".

:thumbup:

thanks for keeping the roads safe out here.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    don't do flatbed unless you like climbing, rolling and unrolling heavy ass tarps, sweaty or freezing your ass off, falling or getting blown off the load, and things like this. (haha gettin blown off the load)
    i pulled dry van trailers, flatbed doubles, refer units, and tankers. (53 and 48 ft trailers) (flatbed doubles through the mountains is pretty gnarly...any truck driving through mountains is gnarly... ice and mountains very uncool)

flatbeds do give a guy exercise and that is important when ya sit on your ass 18 hrs a day. i hauled lumber on two flatbed trailers. well, one is shorter than the first trailer, the second trailer is called a pup trailer. people gotta build stuff so they use lumber. load it onto flatbeds and haul her away. at this job i came home every night which was great but so fucked up cause i worked all damn day anyway. at work before sun up and get home around sunset or later. ridiculous spells truck hours. it will get in your blood and you will be fucked. if i did not get 80 or more hrs every week i was not to pleased with things. this will be your new love/hate relationship, like a drug you hate doing but love doing. at least this was my experience at it. my body and mind can not take it anymore. i am excited for you. good luck, dude.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    don't do flatbed unless you like climbing, rolling and unrolling heavy ass tarps, sweaty or freezing your ass off, falling or getting blown off the load, and things like this. (haha gettin blown off the load)
    i pulled dry van trailers, flatbed doubles, refer units, and tankers. (53 and 48 ft trailers) (flatbed doubles through the mountains is pretty gnarly...any truck driving through mountains is gnarly... ice and mountains very uncool)

flatbeds do give a guy exercise and that is important when ya sit on your ass 18 hrs a day. i hauled lumber on two flatbed trailers. well, one is shorter than the first trailer, the second trailer is called a pup trailer. people gotta build stuff so they use lumber. load it onto flatbeds and haul her away. at this job i came home every night which was great but so fucked up cause i worked all damn day anyway. at work before sun up and get home around sunset or later. ridiculous spells truck hours. it will get in your blood and you will be fucked. if i did not get 80 or more hrs every week i was not to pleased with things. this will be your new love/hate relationship, like a drug you hate doing but love doing. at least this was my experience at it. my body and mind can not take it anymore. i am excited for you. good luck, dude.
    with the company I have my eye on , the haul steel and thats it.

heres a link.
    http://valleytransportation.net/

Ok, up shift through to 7th gear to 50 mph, down shift to 3rd gear to 15 mph. repeat. for 50 miles. Mustnt forget , this REQUIRES double clutching. As tiresome and tedious as this may seem, I think I'm going to like this big rig driving thing.

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    chadwick wrote:

I've heard horror stories about guys who haul cars as well.
    Can YOU drive a 70 ft long vehicle around a corner AND keep it off the curb?

I CAN~!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

mickeyrat wrote:

ruling the world one corner at a time, mickeyrat.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mickeyrat wrote:

you want a cookie?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mickeyrat wrote:

Absolutely not! :clap: :thumbup:
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

you want a cookie?
    doing cookies around corners whilst keeping it off the curb, mickeyrat...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

you want a cookie?
    doing cookies around corners whilst keeping it off the curb, mickeyrat...

just don't be dipping your cookie in milk while you are turning.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg