Just because 81 is the man, I will answer car questions but.

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Damn. 81 does have a lot of car questions.
    Its brutal.. :lol:

any thoughts on the Dodge caravan's spare tire carrier set up? how often should it be lubed to avoid a rust lock up that prevents it from dropping down when needed. also, what lube would you recommend.

Thanks in advance

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    81 wrote:
    Damn. 81 does have a lot of car questions.
    Its brutal.. :lol:

any thoughts on the Dodge caravan's spare tire carrier set up? how often should it be lubed to avoid a rust lock up that prevents it from dropping down when needed. also, what lube would you recommend.

Thanks in advance

Getting the donut back up there is a talent on the modern caravans.. It sits nicely behind and under the drivers ass.. hats off to anyone who can actually get the spare back up into position after its use, while the vehicle is on the ground.. A true talent..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    one last question.....

for tonight.

one a cavalier, when changing struts, would you suggest do a complete swap including springs, or would you reuse the springs....

of course, as always, thanks in advance.... :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    one last question.....

for tonight.

one a cavalier, when changing struts, would you suggest do a complete swap including springs, or would you reuse the springs....

of course, as always, thanks in advance.... :P
    I like to replace the complete assembly.. affectionately known as "quik-struts" .. The part is more expensive for the customer, but they do save on the labor.. so it is kind of a wash.. I make less money on the "quik-strut" job, but I don't mind because the job just goes sooo much quicker.. and you get a new strut, mount, and spring...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    i think that's your first real answer. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think that's your first real answer. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    If you can't beat 'em....... stop in Chicago on your way to Bridge School and beat 'em :lol::lol:

I guess I will submit. The thread is open.. If you have legitimate car concerns, trouble with your local mechanic, or just need help or reassurance.. and your name isn't 81.. I will help, free of charge.. :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Hey Cav,

So what do you think about people who buy the handheld diagnostic computers and then go in and tell you what's wrong? I could've bought 3 of them by now since my mechanic charges $80 every time the Honda decides to take a shit.

"Thanks in advance"

NOT 81
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Hey Cav,

So what do you think about people who buy the handheld diagnostic computers and then go in and tell you what's wrong? I could've bought 3 of them by now since my mechanic charges $80 every time the Honda decides to take a shit.

"Thanks in advance"

NOT 81
    A car's on-board computer will show you a fault via the "check engine light" when one of its many sensors falls out of it's parameters. A common misconception is that "plugging in my machine" will just tell me what is wrong.. nothing could be further from the truth.. There can be several problems that would cause a vehicles on-board computer to register the same fault code.. this is where a good mechanic comes into play.. Its not all just changing parts, you must have a thorough understanding of modern vehicles fuel, ignition, and emission systems to accurately diagnose any problem..
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Hey Cav,

"Thanks in advance"

NOT 81
    A car's on-board computer will show you a fault via the "check engine light" when one of its many sensors falls out of it's parameters. A common misconception is that "plugging in my machine" will just tell me what is wrong.. nothing could be further from the truth.. There can be several problems that would cause a vehicles on-board computer to register the same fault code.. this is where a good mechanic comes into play.. Its not all just changing parts, you must have a thorough understanding of modern vehicles fuel, ignition, and emission systems to accurately diagnose any problem..

So I should study the Chilton then... :|
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Unfortunately Mrs. RCKCNDY, you can buy all of the books you want.. and unless you have a swift stroke of luck or a sudden grasp of automotive drivability theory, they will be no help.. If you are truly having issues, bounce every estimate for repair off of me before you approve any repairs... I am very good, and honest.. and nothing would make me happier than to guide a person like you through their automotive difficulties.. I would even be available to talk to your local repair facility on your behalf when their lingo becomes un-understandable ..
  • Hey, I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering. 1. I have a 2006 Blazer and have had the check engine light on for a while. Haven't noticed anything wrong - got a full service oil change the other day and no one said anything about it- granted they probably wouldn't since they obviously weren't testing everything. Any way do you think its always necessary to take the vehicle in when the light comes on? I've heard sometimes they'll turn on if your gas cap isn't tight, random things like that and sometimes it will just go back off. Had that happen with a Cavalier I used to own - took it in, they found nothing wrong and a dozen or so start ups later it shut off.

2. When starting up the vehicle it takes a bit longer to fire. Its not chugging hard before starting, but was wondering if the battery is definitely going and whether it could just die suddenly or if it would gradually get worse- therefore knowing for sure I need a new one. Just wondering if I can prolong the inevitable or if its better to just get a new one now. Winter is just around the corner.
    Hey, I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering. 1. I have a 2006 Blazer and have had the check engine light on for a while. Haven't noticed anything wrong - got a full service oil change the other day and no one said anything about it- granted they probably wouldn't since they obviously weren't testing everything. Any way do you think its always necessary to take the vehicle in when the light comes on? I've heard sometimes they'll turn on if your gas cap isn't tight, random things like that and sometimes it will just go back off. Had that happen with a Cavalier I used to own - took it in, they found nothing wrong and a dozen or so start ups later it shut off.

2. When starting up the vehicle it takes a bit longer to fire. Its not chugging hard before starting, but was wondering if the battery is definitely going and whether it could just die suddenly or if it would gradually get worse- therefore knowing for sure I need a new one. Just wondering if I can prolong the inevitable or if its better to just get a new one now. Winter is just around the corner.
    Well, given how tightly regulated emissions systems are on vehicles.. a loose gas cap IS a problem.. The entire EVAP system is based on the fact that raw fuel vapor is one of the most polluting things that a modern car can produce.. if you care about that sort of thing.. (which I chose to have a somewhat lax view on)..

But a "check engine light" should ALWAYS be looked in to... Depending on the fault that triggered the light, Fuel mileage decrease, pollution, or even engine or transmission damage can result without repair.. and don't trust some high-school drop out at an oil change joint to help you.. Take your vehicle to a reputable repair facility or even the dreaded dealership for an accurate, and backed diagnosis..

If you take your car in to a place like autozone, advanced auto, or o'riellys to have your SES codes read, tell me what they are and I could point you in the right direction..
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i have a ford granada 81 wants to buy. should i sell it to him?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    you are a good egg cavstar. :thumbup: :wave:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Cav, you do know that all the good you are giving to people here will be returned to you, right? Truth. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    mickeyrat wrote:
    04 PT Cruiser. $165+tax to replace a motor mount reasonable?
    From page 7!~!!!! 7!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    04 PT Cruiser. $165+tax to replace a motor mount reasonable?
    From page 7!~!!!! 7!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    I don't deal with the prices of parts to often.. I receive work orders with usually just my labor listed.. But, yes that seems reasonable..
    hey cav,

if you aren't too busy this weekend, i was wondering if you could help me drop a caddy 500ci motor into the tacoma. i was thinking we should beef up the front suspension as well as swap out the transmission and rear end. while we are at it....we better tub the rear and and anti hop bars.

i've got a case of faithful ale and a pair of yellow booty shorts waiting for you.

see ya sat

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    81 wrote:
    hey cav,

if you aren't too busy this weekend, i was wondering if you could help me drop a caddy 500ci motor into the tacoma. i was thinking we should beef up the front suspension as well as swap out the transmission and rear end. while we are at it....we better tub the rear and and anti hop bars.

i've got a case of faithful ale and a pair of yellow booty shorts waiting for you.

see ya sat

yellow? I thought he liked pink?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:
    hey cav,

see ya sat

and you gotta call him Terry all weekend
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    hey cav,

see ya sat

That's the only way he'll do all the naughty stuff :lol::lol::lol: :P HI CAV :wave:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    yellow? I thought he liked pink?

i figured since he already had pink....he might want a different color
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    conman wrote:

:?:

i missed that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:
    conman wrote:

i missed that.
    i believe unlost, RKCNDY, or mamasan23 can fill you in
    81 wrote:
    conman wrote:

i missed that.

Wayne's World....
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Terry... it rings a bell. Was I involved with that?!?

Cavstarr, Mr. Unlost was driving down the highway in Plymouth, Massachusetts last Friday morning and he heard a funny sound so he pulled over.

It sounded like this: "Thunka-thunka-thunka."

Can you tell us what that was?

Oh, and as he pulled into the breakdown lane, the front passenger side wheel fell off and rolled away.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Terry... it rings a bell. Was I involved with that?!?

Cavstarr, Mr. Unlost was driving down the highway in Plymouth, Massachusetts last Friday morning and he heard a funny sound so he pulled over.

It sounded like this: "Thunka-thunka-thunka."

Can you tell us what that was?

Oh, and as he pulled into the breakdown lane, the front passenger side wheel fell off and rolled away.

no way.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    conman wrote:

i missed that.
    i believe unlost, RKCNDY, or mamasan23 can fill you in

TerryBellefleur.gif
    This is Terry from True Blood. Or is it Cav? Ask those in attendance at PJ20.

ww_iloveyou.jpg
    This is Terry from Wayne's World. I love you, man!! Or is it Cav on a night of whiskey and water?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Terry!!! Right!!! Now I remember!!!

And 81... "way." Cost him $950.

But on the bright side... the "thunka-thunka-thunka" sound stopped.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    TerryBellefleur.gif
    This is Terry from True Blood. Or is it Cav? Ask those in attendance at PJ20.

ww_iloveyou.jpg
    This is Terry from Wayne's World. I love you, man!! Or is it Cav on a night of whiskey and water?

i'll give you the true blood, but not waynes world
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg