Just because 81 is the man, I will answer car questions but.

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I have to share this although it hardly has anything to do with the thread other than being about cars:

When the girlfriend and I moved from Georgia to Utah we towed a Honda Civic behind the U-Haul, ya know in one of those trailers that only straps in the front two wheels and the front axle.

She thought it was needed to pull the emergency brake so that it "doesn't slip off the trailer", and so from Atlanta to St. Louis we drove (me without knowing) with the emergency brake pulled...

We stopped at a hotel one night and thought that we'd take the car off and use it to go get some food and stuff. Getting it off the trailer was fun once I realized there was no brakes at all. Getting it back on the trailer was even more exciting. First time (and hopefully the last) that I had to judge the momentum of a car enough to get it on the trailer perfectly without running off the front end. :roll:

The mechanic and I had a good laugh about it...

Good Lord!

Weren't the tires smoking like hell back there?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

that couldn't have helped the gas mileage at all
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I have to share this although it hardly has anything to do with the thread other than being about cars:

When the girlfriend and I moved from Georgia to Utah we towed a Honda Civic behind the U-Haul, ya know in one of those trailers that only straps in the front two wheels and the front axle.

She thought it was needed to pull the emergency brake so that it "doesn't slip off the trailer", and so from Atlanta to St. Louis we drove (me without knowing) with the emergency brake pulled...

We stopped at a hotel one night and thought that we'd take the car off and use it to go get some food and stuff. Getting it off the trailer was fun once I realized there was no brakes at all. Getting it back on the trailer was even more exciting. First time (and hopefully the last) that I had to judge the momentum of a car enough to get it on the trailer perfectly without running off the front end. :roll:

The mechanic and I had a good laugh about it...

Good Lord!

Weren't the tires smoking like hell back there?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

that couldn't have helped the gas mileage at all

I'm glad I discovered it when I did. That girl sometimes. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The thing I most dislike about the job I get paid to do...which is Dental Assisting...

I really, really dislike cleaning the suction trap when the day is done...you don't want to know what can get caught in there... :sick:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    The thing I most dislike about the job I get paid to do...which is Dental Assisting...

I really, really dislike cleaning the suction trap when the day is done...you don't want to know what can get caught in there... :sick:
    ever clean one after a day of surgery??

you never know what you're gonna fnd
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    conman wrote:
    The thing I most dislike about the job I get paid to do...which is Dental Assisting...

next time I go to the dentist I'll be sure to eat lots of popcorn...then eat a candy bar filled with nutty caramel-ey goodness...maybe some taffy too...oh and something with poppy seeds and sesame seeds too.... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    I am an attorney. You think you get asked for advice all the time? Pffffft :!:
  • conman wrote:

Yes...many, many times... :sick: Good thing I have close to an iron stomach... :shock:
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    conman wrote:

next time I go to the dentist I'll be sure to eat lots of popcorn...then eat a candy bar filled with nutty caramel-ey goodness...maybe some taffy too...oh and something with poppy seeds and sesame seeds too.... :lol:

I think conman and I would prefer finding that stuff...believe us... :o
    yes, food is nothing. it's the stuff you can't really identify that grosses me out
    conman wrote:
    yes, food is nothing. it's the stuff you can't really identify that grosses me out

none of that stuff can beat what we found when we did exploratory surgeries and pulled out partially decaying/digested "WTF is that?!?!?"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    conman wrote:

none of that stuff can beat what we found when we did exploratory surgeries and pulled out partially decaying/digested "WTF is that?!?!?"

we went to the Mutter museum in Philly - it has all sorts of bizzarre medical stuff. Including drawers full of stuff that people have swallowed.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    we went to the Mutter museum in Philly - it has all sorts of bizzarre medical stuff. Including drawers full of stuff that people have swallowed.
    that would probably be kind of cool to see :?

i've seen a bunch of x-rays where people got shot in the face with a BB gun when they were kids and the BB is still stuck in their jaw :shock:
    conman wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i've seen a bunch of x-rays where people got shot in the face with a BB gun when they were kids and the BB is still stuck in their jaw :shock:

yeah, this place is not for the weak stomach types, has a lot of odd stuff, diseased parts in jars, two headed fetus, huge colon. I took my two oldest sons there before a KOL concert a few years ago.
    conman wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I had an x-ray of my dog when he swallowed a bunch of hardware staples...

- Christopher McCandless
    some interesting stuff in this one...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=170682
  • Get_Right wrote:

Yep. They think as an attorney you should know every federal law and the laws of each and every state. And even if you do know the answer off the top of your head and you tell them, they will say, "but my cousin's wife's sister's mother" said....... Well then, why are you asking me if you think they know what they are talking about.

Also, everyone thinks lawyers are rich. Money just falls out of the sky for us so we should be representing everyone for free.

:D
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Cavstarr....

What would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
    haul ass much, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Cavstarr....

What would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?

i'd go 32 degrees.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    conman wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

yeah, this place is not for the weak stomach types, has a lot of odd stuff, diseased parts in jars, two headed fetus, huge colon. I took my two oldest sons there before a KOL concert a few years ago.

Oh my God, kids, we HAVE to go there when we go to Philly for the next PJ tour!

I hope they sell t-shirts. I totally want a t-shirt with a picture of a two headed fetus on it.

Sweet.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

Oh my God, kids, we HAVE to go there when we go to Philly for the next PJ tour!

I hope they sell t-shirts. I totally want a t-shirt with a picture of a two headed fetus on it.

Sweet.

Yep this will definitely be part of our tour...I went there about 7-8 years ago..It would be fun to go back!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Get_Right wrote:

Yep. They think as an attorney you should know every federal law and the laws of each and every state. And even if you do know the answer off the top of your head and you tell them, they will say, "but my cousin's wife's sister's mother" said....... Well then, why are you asking me if you think they know what they are talking about.

Also, everyone thinks lawyers are rich. Money just falls out of the sky for us so we should be representing everyone for free.

:D
    I just say "not my area of expertise, it would be unethical for me to say anything." :lol::lol:

Either that or I say, "yes, I know all about that, call my secretary and lets set up a retainer." :lol:
  • don't get me started on being the "computer guy"....I don't mind helping people out once in awhile but I am not your free tech support guy on the weekends you call and ask me to walk you through stuff for an hour
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • 81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Cavstarr....

i'd go 32 degrees.
    what a BS question to ask
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Where is shirtless boy, i need a few dents fixed after cav is done with the airbags
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Cavstarr....

i'd go 32 degrees.
    what a BS question to ask

"'Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center".
  • You guys are killing me!!! 81 is relentless!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    I'm gonna need to change break pads soon......could you tell my what the min thickness is for rotors.....guessing i should have them turned. What do you think?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    You think i should go ceramic or semi metalic on the pads?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I'm gonna need to change break pads soon......could you tell my what the min thickness is for rotors.....guessing i should have them turned. What do you think?
    Break pads?? couch cushions??? :lol: Always install new brake pads onto a fresh rotor surface, whether they have been machined or are new rotors.. remember to pump the pedal upon completion of the job, before putting it in gear... or don't :lol:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I think that what unlost dogs posted about the neighbor calling her about the suppository is gross, that neighbor should be ashamed of herself. Poor you. How old was the wisdom teeth patient that she could not do it herself?

I love old cars, we have several classics. But I wouldn't mind a new mustang :D

I hate that commercial where about 5 different people are being overly dramatic and imitating what their car problem is to the mechanic and he knows exactly what it is w/o looking at it.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more