Netflix raising prices again

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    we did hbo after dumping netflix.....lot of crap...i might tell the woman to dump it...don't know if she watchs much, but they never have movies on the weekend and than they all suck.

Do yourself a favor and watch Game of Thrones on HBO.

You're welcome :D

I second this. Great, great show!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    we did hbo after dumping netflix.....lot of crap...i might tell the woman to dump it...don't know if she watchs much, but they never have movies on the weekend and than they all suck.

Do yourself a favor and watch Game of Thrones on HBO.

You're welcome :D

is it a tv show? 81 don't do tv shows. :lol: or very few of them :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    the streaming Netflix stinks - I can never find any decent movies to watch

The streaming selection is awful. I stuck with the 1 at a time unlimited blu-ray plan. $11/ month for at least 4-5 movies isn't too bad.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:

Yeah but it's honestly incredible. I'm not much into TV shows myself, but I have HBO for the sole purpose of watching Game of Thrones. One of the very few times where a book has been successfully transferred to the screen...it's completely unpredictable...and there's naked people, dwarfs, murders, all the fun stuff! :lol:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98139
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    81 wrote:

It's an awesome, awesome show!
  • 81 wrote:

We debated on HBO too, but since we have a kid, I think a more family friendly variety is better for us. We recently had a free HBO weekend and aside from Paradise Lost 3, there really wasn't anything on. I know that we could have watched that movie through Netflix or Blockbuster. Also, right now we have Dish Network and we are paying $70 each month, plus taxes and insurance. That is eating up a lot of our money. We are essentially paying to watch Scrubs, Big Bang, The Office, and Friends re-runs. I think all of these are available on Netflix. We are dropping our Dish package down from the the next to the most expensive package to the Family package, which will provide good basic networks for our kiddo, local channels, and a few very basic channels (like TBS) for us. We are probably dropping Netflix down to 1 DVD and streaming, mainly b/c the streaming only does suck. So, between internet, Netflix, and Dish, our "entertainment bills" will run about $90-$100/month, we are currently paying $100+ just for Netflix and Dish. I think this is a good idea for anyone who has children and wants to tighten their budget. The only downside to the $25 family package is that it does not include Nick Jr., which my little boy loves (if you are a parent, you know that is a great kid's network). I'm not sure why that wouldn't be included in the Family package. However, aside from Olivia, most of the shows either come on regular Nick or are on Netflix and I can buy him several Olivia DVDs from Amazon and still save money.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    i think we have america's 250 and hbo...not sure what the bill runs... 85 maybe...i don't pay it.

we don't have any insurance. i'd scale the package back but the woman likes a few of that packages channells and since she is the main tv watcher and pays the bill, i let it slide.

i really wish you could pick and choose the individual channels vs having to buy packages. i have no need for nick or spanish shows.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

We debated on HBO too, but since we have a kid, I think a more family friendly variety is better for us. We recently had a free HBO weekend and aside from Paradise Lost 3, there really wasn't anything on. I know that we could have watched that movie through Netflix or Blockbuster. Also, right now we have Dish Network and we are paying $70 each month, plus taxes and insurance. That is eating up a lot of our money. We are essentially paying to watch Scrubs, Big Bang, The Office, and Friends re-runs. I think all of these are available on Netflix. We are dropping our Dish package down from the the next to the most expensive package to the Family package, which will provide good basic networks for our kiddo, local channels, and a few very basic channels (like TBS) for us. We are probably dropping Netflix down to 1 DVD and streaming, mainly b/c the streaming only does suck. So, between internet, Netflix, and Dish, our "entertainment bills" will run about $90-$100/month, we are currently paying $100+ just for Netflix and Dish. I think this is a good idea for anyone who has children and wants to tighten their budget. The only downside to the $25 family package is that it does not include Nick Jr., which my little boy loves (if you are a parent, you know that is a great kid's network). I'm not sure why that wouldn't be included in the Family package. However, aside from Olivia, most of the shows either come on regular Nick or are on Netflix and I can buy him several Olivia DVDs from Amazon and still save money.

Now I have the Olivia theme song stuck in my head. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw Olivia streaming on Netflix as well. I know that several seasons of Blue's Clues, Dora, Diego, Wonder Pets, and Yo Gabba Gabba, and others are streaming...okay now I have the Wonder Pets "theme" in my head :geek: :oops:

I've been thinking about cutting my cable for a while now. I hardly watch anything on it. I usually flip through the channels looking for something to watch and end up watching something off of Netflix instead. Netflix has a lot of shows I missed out on that I enjoy catching up on, old shows I enjoyed that I like to rewatch, and enough streaming movie, documentary, and tv show options to keep me entertained for a long time. I also have the 1 DVD plan along with the streaming to get movies and shows that aren't streaming. My son would miss the NickJr channel if we cut cable, but like you said, a lot of that stuff is on Netflix anyway.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    the kids would also get over not having tv. after a week they would forget all about it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    81 wrote:
    i think we have america's 250 and hbo...not sure what the bill runs... 85 maybe...i don't pay it.

we don't have any insurance. i'd scale the package back but the woman likes a few of that packages channells and since she is the main tv watcher and pays the bill, i let it slide.

i really wish you could pick and choose the individual channels vs having to buy packages. i have no need for nick or spanish shows.

I would love to be able to pick my channels and design a custom package!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Better Dan wrote:

Now I have the Olivia theme song stuck in my head. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw Olivia streaming on Netflix as well. I know that several seasons of Blue's Clues, Dora, Diego, Wonder Pets, and Yo Gabba Gabba, and others are streaming...okay now I have the Wonder Pets "theme" in my head :geek: :oops:

Olivia, Olivia, Olivia....lol. It does stay with you. I just looked on the Wii last night, I will re-check on my computer for it. A guy I work with only has Netflix and his family really does not miss cable at all. I don't think we could cut it completely, just because it is so easy to turn on the TV and tune into Nick and channels like that if you do have kids. You guys might want to consider that package that we are looking at. I also forgot to mention that it does not have Disney, but he's not a big Disney kid anyway and again, there is always Netflix streaming (I know they have Phineas and Ferb, Good Luck Charlie, and Power Rangers--which is all he ever watches on Disney). Also, it is worth it to us because it can be hard to get our local channels without satellite.

Edit: @ madtowndave I completely agree! I would be willing to pay more per channel if I could just choose the ones I wanted. I know there are not over 15, if even that much, that we watch on a regular basis.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    81 wrote:

I would love to be able to pick my channels and design a custom package!

But then they couldn't charge crazy amounts like they do now. :D

When we moved we got the basic package but that didn't even include basic channels like tbs and spike, or speed. So we had to move up a package. I like ATT but it's not cheap. For internet and cable, 3 boxes, it's about $115 a month. Plus we do have the netflix streaming. It's not the newest stuff but it works. :D We can almost always find something to watch. If I want to see a newer movie on dvd i just rely on redbox. We get free rentals through text for that every so often anyhow. I would have liked to keep the dvd option for netflix but paying $9 more a month for one dvd in the mail was ridiculous. I could get 9 dvds in the month from redbox for that price :D , hell, less if i use their promo codes.

I would love to say, oh I can get rid of cable but, there are a lot of shows we watch and dvr. If we must, we will but not until we are very in need to!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    people still get thier internet from cable companies. :shock: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    What do you use for internet?
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

cell phone

Sprint Evo 4g for those playing at home.

tether it to the computer and surf away.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

cell phone

Right on.
    My company pays for my Internet at home, so I go through the cable company.
    They recently also just sent me a Verizon 4G MIFI which is really slick when I'm traveling!
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

cell phone

Just curious, how does the speed compare to cable internet? Could I watch something on Netflix from the blu-ray player, and download music/tv shows on the computer, while my wife is streaming videos off of youtube without any problems? Wouldn't I also have to worry about the cell phone company throttling my usage? I'm sometimes throttled now at 3G and I don't even use that much (at least it doesn't seem like I do)
    Better Dan wrote:

Just curious, how does the speed compare to cable internet? Could I watch something on Netflix from the blu-ray player, and download music/tv shows on the computer, while my wife is streaming videos off of youtube without any problems? Wouldn't I also have to worry about the cell phone company throttling my usage? I'm sometimes throttled now at 3G and I don't even use that much (at least it doesn't seem like I do)

depends on your company...we have sprint which has true unlimited data and doesn't throttle.

this is important as i will be around 6-7 Gigs per month.

as for the speed, i find it acceptable. i watch a little youtube and other vids and rarely have issues with keeping up with the downloading of the data. ie no start/stop issues

when we had netflix, i streamed to the wii and would watch movies without issue. if you don't root, you will need to add in the wifi plan for anouther 30 bucks.

not sure how it would work if you were watching a movie and she is on youtube....but assuming you both have phones, i would use one for the netflix stream and one for the youtube streaming if you were going to do both at the same time.

we use pdanet to connect the phone to the computer which allows free internet sharing. pdanet can also be used via a bluetooth connection.

unless you have a high 3g speed, i don't think i would try it. we get a pretty good 4g signal at the house.

here is a speed test i did last november via a tehter

1577722468.png

when downloading a big file, it typically runs 100k per second, where as cable would get up to 1 meg per second.

overall, i am pleased and happy with the setup
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    just saw that you can run foxfi from the android market and it will allow you to use your phone as a hot spot without having a hot spot plan on most samsung and motorola phones. does not work with HTC for wifi, but does work for bluetooth.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I have no idea what your last few posts are about, but if that is what I will need to do to keep getting netflix, screw that, I am cancellling
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I have no idea what your last few posts are about, but if that is what I will need to do to keep getting netflix, screw that, I am cancellling

:lol:

no...we are talking about dumping cable internet and replacing it with cell phone internet. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    just saw that you can run foxfi from the android market and it will allow you to use your phone as a hot spot without having a hot spot plan on most samsung and motorola phones. does not work with HTC for wifi, but does work for bluetooth.

you da man!

downloading...
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

:lol:

no...we are talking about dumping cable internet and replacing it with cell phone internet. :lol:

ok, but netflix streaming still sucks, there's no selection
    81 wrote:

Cool, thanks! I have a motorola, so I'll try it out when I get home. This month I'm eligible for a new phone so I may upgrade to one that offers 4G.
    edited March 2012
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

you da man!

downloading...

must be somewhat new..i've not heard of it before. sucks that it doesn't work on HTC phones. :roll:

post a review up if you get a second
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

you da man!

downloading...

:P

ok, but when you are streaming a movie, and you get a phone call what happens?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

ok, but when you are streaming a movie, and you get a phone call what happens?

you answer the phone and talk or you hit decline and keep watching the movie. :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    must be somewhat new..i've not heard of it before. sucks that it doesn't work on HTC phones. :roll:

installed and had it running in less than a minute...will check speeds when i get home on my laptop but the only wireless computer here recognized the hotspot...and yeah it looks like this just came out
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

installed and had it running in less than a minute...will check speeds when i get home on my laptop but the only wireless computer here recognized the hotspot...and yeah it looks like this just came out

8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

8-)

just tried it...

1838263932.png