Netflix raising prices again

Comments

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i know everyone is interested.....so just a quick update....gf cancelled both disc and streaming service.

so what are you gonna do now? read a book? the wall street journal?

There are so many options...

I haven't seen them charge me a new price yet. We haven't watched streaming in days.....our DVR is practically full...redbox is a $1! I don't know if you all have it but, it's probably an overall better deal....
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I got Netflix a while back. Last DVD is still sitting on the coffee table, it arrived sometime in January. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect the PC to the TV to stream. I guess I need to make a decision at some point.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i know everyone is interested.....so just a quick update....gf cancelled both disc and streaming service.

i used to read the WSJ at lunch, until the company subscription ran out. good stuff in there.

she might add HBO...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Just subscribed to the WSJ. Huge fan now. I feel like an idiot for missing out.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Just subscribed to the WSJ. Huge fan now. I feel like an idiot for missing out.

I had the wsj for a while. Now I just get the New Yorker and have been comtemplating getting the Times Weekender but it's just so damn expensive.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    voidofman wrote:
    81 wrote:

Good call, I can't remember the last time I rented a dvd, I know it will eventually put businesses...out of...business...but it just gets too expensive with all the movies we watch.

@ rkcndy, pretty sure he uses torrent sites like I do. Yar! Pirating! Har har yar!

I would use torrent sites...if I could remember the password to my archaic computer! :x

I did remember http://www.marquel.com-love that site (ok, lov'ed' just checked it, they don't have new stuff as much now)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just subscribed to the WSJ. Huge fan now. I feel like an idiot for missing out.

I had the wsj for a while. Now I just get the New Yorker and have been comtemplating getting the Times Weekender but it's just so damn expensive.

Nice. Yeah, The Times looks dense.
    Netflix drops subscriber forecast by 1M

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 6443.story
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    f netflix
    Netflix wants to put the extra revenue towards R&D??? If it went to adding more streaming content ok...but R&D?

"Earlier this summer, Netflix's chief executive, Reed Hastings, said he recognized that "we have to face those subscribers who are upset by the price hike this quarter."

He said then that the price change would benefit Netflix in the fourth quarter and beyond, and that the company intended to spend the increased revenue on its streaming service, partly on research and development. "As our subscriber base continues to grow, we're able to spend more on improving that service, both on the R.& D. side and on the content availability side," he said."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

Lizardjam wrote:
    Netflix wants to put the extra revenue towards R&D??? If it went to adding more streaming content ok...but R&D?

"Earlier this summer, Netflix's chief executive, Reed Hastings, said he recognized that "we have to face those subscribers who are upset by the price hike this quarter."

He said then that the price change would benefit Netflix in the fourth quarter and beyond, and that the company intended to spend the increased revenue on its streaming service, partly on research and development. "As our subscriber base continues to grow, we're able to spend more on improving that service, both on the R.& D. side and on the content availability side," he said."

content would be a good start. current content isn't worth the price of admission.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

content would be a good start. current content isn't worth the price of admission.

I think I have noticed that.

and the netflix DVD that we got back in January is still on the coffee table.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    Lizardjam wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

I haven't seen them charge me a new price yet. We haven't watched streaming in days.....our DVR is practically full...redbox is a $1! I don't know if you all have it but, it's probably an overall better deal....

Redbox is a dollar if you actually bring it back the next day. My gf just informed me that she still had a movie that we rented over a week ago (and never even watched) in her living room :lol:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    we (she) used the dvd service, and it was fine...except for the 2 or 3 discs that didn't play....

send it back and cancel.

i believe she is adding HBO in the near future and i'll be ordering up the NHL center ice package. :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Redbox is a dollar if you actually bring it back the next day. My gf just informed me that she still had a movie that we rented over a week ago (and never even watched) in her living room :lol:.

:lol:

redbox is the way to go for dvd rentals....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

It would be if they had a wider selection. It's like the shitty choices of Netflix streaming in dvd form.
    81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

It would be if they had a wider selection. It's like the shitty choices of Netflix streaming in dvd form.

i've not had a major issue with them...as long as it's newer stuff that you are after.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i've not had a major issue with them...as long as it's newer stuff that you are after.

Eh, yeah, for the most part, but it's usually the more popular stuff.

Know what's a sweet thing to have via the PS3? VUDU. That's not bad.
  • 81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Every time I've tried Redbox, the selection is awful.
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    [

Redbox is a dollar if you actually bring it back the next day. My gf just informed me that she still had a movie that we rented over a week ago (and never even watched) in her living room :lol:.[/quote]

Ah well...that's what PCs are for at work during the day...that and slysoft products. ;) I have a redbox less than a mile away from my home and work.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 3152.story

IMO, looks like netflix is going to spin off the DVD portion of the business. They have rebranded it qwikstar and the netflix brand will be used for streaming. If you have both services, you will get two seperate charges each month.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    81 wrote:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-netflix-to-split-off-rename-dvd-service-ceo-i-screwed-up-20110919,0,5253152.story

IMO, looks like netflix is going to spin off the DVD portion of the business. They have rebranded it qwikstar and the netflix brand will be used for streaming. If you have both services, you will get two seperate charges each month.

And they're adding video game rentals to the qwikster side of things.
    video killed the radio star, streaming killed the dvd
  • I just got an e-mail from the Co-Found and CEO of Netflix apologizing/explaining the split in service and price hike. Sounds like BS to me, it basically says that if they didn't make these changes, Netflix would have gone the way of AOL.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    81 wrote:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-netflix-to-split-off-rename-dvd-service-ceo-i-screwed-up-20110919,0,5253152.story

I honestly get the impression that they want people to cancel the DVD service and that is why they are renaming it and making a new website.

Earlier in this thread I said that Redbox was a good idea if you actually bring the movie back: well I have paid $12 so far for a movie I have not watched yet :oops:. I left it at my girlfriend's house and called and asked her to return it that night. Well she still hasn't returned it and we are long distance. I didn't want to watch the movie in the first place (Due Date) :twisted:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I honestly get the impression that they want people to cancel the DVD service and that is why they are renaming it and making a new website.

Earlier in this thread I said that Redbox was a good idea if you actually bring the movie back: well I have paid $12 so far for a movie I have not watched yet :oops:. I left it at my girlfriend's house and called and asked her to return it that night. Well she still hasn't returned it and we are long distance. I didn't want to watch the movie in the first place (Due Date) :twisted:.

you might as well just buy it at this point
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I just got an e-mail from the Co-Found and CEO of Netflix apologizing/explaining the split in service and price hike. Sounds like BS to me, it basically says that if they didn't make these changes, Netflix would have gone the way of AOL.

It's so weird, I never get any emails. I only even found out about the price hike here.

• SVRDhand13 wrote:
    quote]

I would gladly cancel the DVD service if the selection for streaming wasn't so terrible. Don't they understand that?
    I would gladly cancel the DVD service if the selection for streaming wasn't so terrible. Don't they understand that?

no. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

do you understand that it isn't up to netflix...the studios are restricting allowing netflix to stream movies since it doesn't make them enough money...netflix would love to but the only way to do that would be to raise their rates 2 or 3 times what it is now