Netflix raising prices again

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    81 wrote:
    I'd ditch it, but the gf is in charge of it.

Price elasticity is the key

I wish more would be streamed
    81 wrote:
    i'm going to recommend to the woman that we cancel it.

It's funnier back-to-back.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    They are working to have everything streaming, so this deal will not really effect anyone unless you pointlessly want to stream and rent DVDs.

I think people think they are going to need to do both. That is not the case, and if they have everything streaming, there is no point to paying for both.

It's a good deal.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Gob wrote:
    They are working to have everything streaming, so this deal will not really effect anyone unless you pointlessly want to stream and rent DVDs.

I think people think they are going to need to do both. That is not the case, and if they have everything streaming, there is no point to paying for both.

It's a good deal.

yes, if you could stream anything decent.....they should have waited until they had a good streaming selection before making the annoucement fo the split. heck, if you could stream something good, i'd be willing to pony up a couple more bucks. but as it stands, it's crap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Gob wrote:

It's a good deal.

I don't think that is anytime in the near future, as their rate hike is.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Gob wrote:

It's a good deal.

I'm sure they'll announce it. The hikes aren't for a few more months. If not, it would be suicide for them. I think people are just reading the new numbers and freaking out before all the facts are in place.
    Gob wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

I'm sure they'll announce it. The hikes aren't for a few more months. If not, it would be suicide for them. I think people are just reading the new numbers and freaking out before all the facts are in place.

They have announced a rate hike with no real reason behind it. They're not JK Rowling. I don't think they're hiding a countdown to an announcement in conjunction with the rate hike. That would be stupid. They know very well they're inciting people. They're generating enough bad blood to lose members simply with the announcement. If they wanted to keep good faith with their customers, they'd have announced it at the same time. It's just speculation that they're going to change anything with their streaming any time soon.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Post deleted by Admin see the Posting Guidelines
    Please respect an artist's copyright. Linking to or otherwise promoting stolen art is prohibited.
    I'll be back
  • 81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

It's a good deal.

yes, if you could stream anything decent.....they should have waited until they had a good streaming selection before making the annoucement fo the split. heck, if you could stream something good, i'd be willing to pony up a couple more bucks. but as it stands, it's crap

That is my point. I called customer service and I told the guy that they should have waited until they actually improved service before raising prices. All of the "deals" they will need to work out with this company and that company to get everything to streaming will probably take at least a year or so. Right now it does suck. They could have even raised the $10 package to $12 and nobody would have even said anything, but a 60% price increase is crazy.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    I watched the transformers the day after it was out in theaters

1409590802_27bfe61595_m.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

They have announced a rate hike with no real reason behind it. They're not JK Rowling. I don't think they're hiding a countdown to an announcement in conjunction with the rate hike. That would be stupid. They know very well they're inciting people. They're generating enough bad blood to lose members simply with the announcement. If they wanted to keep good faith with their customers, they'd have announced it at the same time. It's just speculation that they're going to change anything with their streaming any time soon.
    You're right. I see no anouncement of a better streaming catalog, just things in the works.. Even if they do announce a full streaming catalog a few months later, it will be too late as customers will have found new services... Bonehead move by Netflix. I won't cancel because I pay for streaming only anyways, but they will piss off too many people. Especially in this economy where everyone is watching their pennies.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if you have a problem with netflix, call warner bros, universal, sony etc...they are the ones not allowing most movies and want netflix's prices increased
    Gob wrote:
    You're right. I see no anouncement of a better streaming catalog, just things in the works.. Even if they do announce a full streaming catalog a few months later, it will be too late as customers will have found new services... Bonehead move by Netflix. I won't cancel because I pay for streaming only anyways, but they will piss off too many people. Especially in this economy where everyone is watching their pennies.

As much as it is SUCH a convenient catalogue of movies to have access to, I may go to streaming only as well. It's just too much of a rate hike. I changed from 3 dvd to 1 dvd, which took me from 16.99 to 9.99 a few months back for the very purpose of saving money on useless other things. Looks like I'll have to do it again...

norm wrote:
    if you have a problem with netflix, call warner bros, universal, sony etc...they are the ones not allowing most movies and want netflix's prices increased

We already know how crappy they are....if one uses netflix or redbox, we're well aware.

• stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I get one DVD (Blu Ray) at a time with unlimited streaming. $16 a month.

Eventually they will price me out, but I still think that's a pretty damn good deal.

Just skip some lattes and stop bitching. Netflix is a FOR PROFIT company. How can you blame them for raising their prices? Everyone who doesn't like it can quit. You will be back once you realize basic cable with HBO costs you $75 a month.

With that said, I would love to see more streaming options. I have had Netflix streaming since the start and it has come a loooooong way since then. Will only get better.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
    stickfig13 wrote:

Eventually they will price me out, but I still think that's a pretty damn good deal.

Just skip some lattes and stop bitching. Netflix is a FOR PROFIT company. How can you blame them for raising their prices? Everyone who doesn't like it can quit. You will be back once you realize basic cable with HBO costs you $75 a month.

With that said, I would love to see more streaming options. I have had Netflix streaming since the start and it has come a loooooong way since then. Will only get better.

I don't even drink lattes. Always someone that has to be an ass huh? It's not competing in a market where there is anything else comparable. So when it raises its prices arbitrarily, people complain. Get used to it, or in your own vein, read another thread.

Yes arbitrarily, nothing new has been added. They don't get movies to rent on dvd for a month after they're released on dvd, and for waaaaay longer after that for streaming. For their existing prices, that's a great deal. For the raised ones, not so much.

edited July 2011
    I quoted myself. Not lending to my intelligence at all here. :mrgreen:

I won't take up another post, I'll re-use this one. See? I'm green! On the way home, on AM radio, they were talking about this. Ranting rather and saying they were going to cancel too. Guess we're not alone!
    Post edited by Lizardjam on

• Lizardjam wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

I don't even drink lattes. Always someone that has to be an ass huh? It's not competing in a market where there is anything else comparable. So when it raises its prices arbitrarily, people complain. Get used to it, or in your own vein, read another thread.

Yes arbitrarily, nothing new has been added. They don't get movies to rent on dvd for a month after they're released on dvd, and for waaaaay longer after that for streaming. For their existing prices, that's a great deal. For the raised ones, not so much.

Same here, no lattes for this girl. Judging from this post along with all the people the other day telling us southerners that we could attend shows if we would just jump on a plane, the majority of PJ's fan base must be loaded. However, some of us have to watch what we spend our money on. Besides, it is just a few bucks a month, but it's also principle. Netflix had used to have low prices and still managed to provide the service. They are going up now b/c of greed.

Edit: It would be like Ten C doubling their price and not offering the t-shirt and bootleg download. We are paying more for the same service we have been receiving.
    fade away...

• Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    81 wrote:
    I watched the transformers the day after it was out in theaters

1409590802_27bfe61595_m.jpg

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I'll be back
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    We are going to start to get 1 DVD now instead of 3 and get the Streaming so we won't be paying as much.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Lizardjam wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm simply saying that a company can do whatever they want. You act like they owe you something. Latte was an example of something one would spend $3-4 on. My service we from $12-16. I enjoy the service so I'll suck it up and spend $4 more dollars.

If you don't like the price then jump ship. Simple as that. It's not like they have gun to your head.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Nobody has a gun to our head and we do have the choice to leave. However, if enough people would complain rather than "just pay it," there is a small chance they would reconsider it. Large companies have back tracked on stuff before because of customer outrage, it could happen here if we all let them know how we feel. I called customer service today, it only cost me 10-12 minutes of my time. If everyone would do that, maybe they would at least add some more in between options or maybe lower the price of the $16 option.
    fade away...

stickfig13 wrote:

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm simply saying that a company can do whatever they want. You act like they owe you something. Latte was an example of something one would spend $3-4 on. My service we from $12-16. I enjoy the service so I'll suck it up and spend $4 more dollars.

If you don't like the price then jump ship. Simple as that. It's not like they have gun to your head.

My point was to question why you have to point out the obvious. Do we all know we can quit the service? Yes. Duh. Can we be outraged at such a high price hike? Yes. We can rant all we want. You're not contributing anything by telling us to grin and bear it or dump it. What would that possibly do but start another argument? If that was your intent, then hey, a couple of us bit. Yay for you. If it was simply to point out the obvious, bravo, you've done that too. You must be proud you contributed so much. Please give us another statement we can argue about that is obvious that no one else has stated.

Many people have cut back on entertainment and extraneous spending. Many don't go to the movies, they have netflix. A price hike makes that a different ballgame. It's 4 dollars or so, ok but, from what it was, it's also large enough to make a difference in some budgets. Stop being so dismissive to others. You don't know anyone's situation but you're own.

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I was really pissed when I got the email Monday night telling me I'm going to receive the same service but now pay more. So I slept on it. I was still pissed the next morning and vented to a few people. But around lunch time yesterday accepted that this is Netflix. This isn't food at a grocery store, or my rent, or my medication. This is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. The price for DVD/streaming is still a good deal in my opinion. Is Netflix greedy? Sure. Is a 60% price hike steep? Sure, but it's 60% of $9.99. It is a business with the goal of making money. I enjoy their services, so what would be the point in canceling to prove the principle of the situation? Then I'm out my favorite entertainment for the month because of $5.99. I make far more than minimum wage so that is not a lot of money to me, but seriously, it's times like these that you have to sit down and figure out what is worth your money.

My biggest gripe is that Netflix has me right where they want me. 50% of the movies I want to watch are DVD only, while the other 50% are available for streaming. I would love to see everything available as streaming. But until that happens, if ever, I gotta have both plans. I wonder why they aren't offering some discount for having both plans.
    I was really pissed when I got the email Monday night telling me I'm going to receive the same service but now pay more. So I slept on it. I was still pissed the next morning and vented to a few people. But around lunch time yesterday accepted that this is Netflix. This isn't food at a grocery store, or my rent, or my medication. This is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. The price for DVD/streaming is still a good deal in my opinion. Is Netflix greedy? Sure. Is a 60% price hike steep? Sure, but it's 60% of $9.99. It is a business with the goal of making money. I enjoy their services, so what would be the point in canceling to prove the principle of the situation? Then I'm out my favorite entertainment for the month because of $5.99. I make far more than minimum wage so that is not a lot of money to me, but seriously, it's times like these that you have to sit down and figure out what is worth your money.

My biggest gripe is that Netflix has me right where they want me. 50% of the movies I want to watch are DVD only, while the other 50% are available for streaming. I would love to see everything available as streaming. But until that happens, if ever, I gotta have both plans. I wonder why they aren't offering some discount for having both plans.

for like 5% is available to stream.

just in case anyone cares, gf said she was dumping the streaming since the selection is so bad. i told her to dump both, but she said she liked the dvd's. as they say in long term relationships, you need to pick your battles and this wasn't worth it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I think I will just go with redbox from here on out. If they start steaming TONS more material I might going back up, but right now its just a waste.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    jervin007 wrote:
    I think I will just go with redbox from here on out. If they start steaming TONS more material I might going back up, but right now its just a waste.
    This. And new releases need to come out faster. I think the current customer increases are effective 9/1 right?
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    81 wrote:
    for like 5% is available to stream.

just in case anyone cares, gf said she was dumping the streaming since the selection is so bad. i told her to dump both, but she said she liked the dvd's. as they say in long term relationships, you need to pick your battles and this wasn't worth it. :lol:
    Their selection has gotten worse in the past few months, but I can always find something I want to see.

I spoke with a customer service rep and he told me that they are really pushing to become completely streaming (which would be excellent in my opinion). He also said that their streaming catalogue will be much better come September. Take all that with a grain of salt given the source.

I also have to add that the rep I spoke to was pleasant and helpful. I was not expecting that at all given the circumstances.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Man, if they go all streaming I'm going to have to cancel. The only reason I went with Netflix was so that I could get DVDs in the mail without late fees.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    iamica wrote:
    Man, if they go all streaming I'm going to have to cancel. The only reason I went with Netflix was so that I could get DVDs in the mail without late fees.

if they streamed all the good shit, there would be no need for dvd's....unless you can't stream to your tv.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    iamica wrote:

if they streamed all the good shit, there would be no need for dvd's....unless you can't stream to your tv.

I like the physical dvds too. Streaming is wonderful but not exclusively what I'd want either.

They should just price hike the new members. :mrgreen: