Netflix raising prices again

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This is crazy. I'm about to call it quits with Netflix. Their price has almost now tripled since I first subscribed. We've been getting a lot of dvds from our local library for free this summer, new releases and all. I'm about to do that and redbox it. Forget Netflix. If you are a customer, please call their customer service and complain. I've been trying to, but they are so swamped with calls they are saying to call back later.

The number is 18667160414.
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'd ditch it, but the gf is in charge of it.

Price elasticity is the key

I wish more would be streamed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I'd ditch it, but the gf is in charge of it.

Price elasticity is the key

I wish more would be streamed

The streaming being a low price is so they can say that you can still get it cheap. However, almost nothing is available to watch instantly. It's really not worth the money anymore to me.
    fade away...

• NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    I read somewhere that they will be going 100% streaming in the next year or so.
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
    Narciso wrote:

i just read that they are working on getting more streaming rights to movies and shows. as the above said, the current selection is very lacking
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    bastards.

I have had a dvd for 3 months, just can't seem to get around to watching it.
  • NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    They are working on a deal with Miramax now to stream their entire library.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/n ... ion-171681
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Narciso wrote:

That would be interesting.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I canceled my membership 3 days ago. I can watch anything at letmewatchthis for free, even on my iPhone.
    I'll be back
  • Yea I'm irritated for sure. They continue to raise the prices.

They won't stream HBO shows. HBO is asking to much money for this. Apparently it would cause netflix to double it's prices.

I might just get rid of the streaming and go back to the dvd's.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I just put my account on hold until September because I don't get around to watching movies much in the summer time...might have to consider just cancelling it
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    They are actually lowering the price for me because I'm ditching the DVD program. Still have one sitting around from Xmas time.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Yeah this is ridiculous, didn't they just raise their fee 6 months ago? I'm getting rid of the instant watch option because I just do the mail-in DVDs anyway. But if they get rid of that, I might have to cancel.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • chrisrap1chrisrap1 Posts: 45
    Was on a 3 disc plus stream changing to 4 discs no stream $2 more..... built a near 400+ library (thanks dvdcrypter) lots of foreign titles still to be nabbed before they go stream only in the future
    Lets trade visit my list for my PEARL JAM and all other recordings www.phishhook.com/lists/chrisrap1

~I don't care how many times you've seen them~
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    If the streaming options weren't so shitty, I would do the streaming only package. My package is going from $12 to $18 if I want to keep unlimited streaming and 1 blu-ray at a time. I don't know what I'm going to do here...prob just stick with the DVD only package for now until they get some decent titles on the streaming.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    chrisrap1 wrote:
    Was on a 3 disc plus stream changing to 4 discs no stream $2 more..... built a near 400+ library (thanks dvdcrypter) lots of foreign titles still to be nabbed before they go stream only in the future

I have a friend who signed up for Netflix just to build his collection
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Red Box is $1/night.
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I might just cancel my DVD portion. And add HULUplus. The turnaround time on the Bluray is slow anyway. If i really want to see something i will just go to the local redbox and rent it.

The streaming is really for watching movies and tv shows that i like married with children, south park and so on. Yeah it sucks not everything is on streaming but it's cheaper than cable. Plus if i add Hulu Plus it will give me and Stace most of the shows we would watch on TV. Dropping the DVD part justifies getting Hulu Plus on the XBOX.

There is alot of backlash for this so i wonder if Netflix is already rethinking this idea? Yes even if you stick with the current plan mine would be 18 for both it is alot cheaper than cable and movie packages. But to not give people who want both a deal is BS.
    My butt itches!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I dropped Netflix about a month ago and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all. Their streaming service worked great on my PS3, but there was never anything good to watch! I also had the one Blu Ray at a time as well...but the serious lack of any decent movies of late made me wonder why I even had the service.

Dropped!

RedBox has a lot of recent movies for $1.50 or so a night (for Blu-ray), and VUDU streaming is great! 1080p and 5.1 Dolby Digital.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    peacegirl wrote:
    chrisrap1 wrote:

That would be my reason as well. Has been for years....but the streaming option is nice. A year ago I got a dvd player(that streams netflix and plays pandora, and now have it on the WII and PS3, so streaming is soo easy it's hard to ignore. Whatever I can't stream I get through the dvd option or redbox. I think I only pay $10 a month because I went down to 1 dvd at a time from 3.

Where did it say the prices are going up?
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Lizardjam wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:
    chrisrap1 wrote:

That would be my reason as well. Has been for years....but the streaming option is nice. A year ago I got a dvd player(that streams netflix and plays pandora, and now have it on the WII and PS3, so streaming is soo easy it's hard to ignore. Whatever I can't stream I get through the dvd option or redbox. I think I only pay $10 a month because I went down to 1 dvd at a time from 3.

We were about to drop down to that 1 dvd and streaming. However, it was 10/mo, but they are raising it to 16/mo. A 60% price increase! That is hard to swallow.
    fade away...

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Interesting.
    Now that video stores are being driven out by them and other forms of digital viewing they have started to have a monopoly... maybe that was their game plan?

I avoided netflix for a long time after it came to canada (worked at a video store - that would be treason!)
    We tried a couple trials on diff credit cards... Forgot to cancel the last couple months even though I never watch it. The selection is TERRIBLE.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • front spacerfront spacer Posts: 3,246
    I've got one more month before the September price hike....then count me out, too!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
    Lizardjam wrote:

We were about to drop down to that 1 dvd and streaming. However, it was 10/mo, but they are raising it to 16/mo. A 60% price increase! That is hard to swallow.

I wouldn't eve have known had I not seen this thread. I went to account and details after reading your response and saw the note. That is crap for one dvd and streaming. That's how much I was paying for 3 dvds and streaming. I was thinking the only downside is you can't get some older movies if you cancel dvds and just redbox it. Then I thought, well Blockbuster will have the old ones(they're all now 99 cents and 49 cents on Sundays) but, I just went to blockbuster this weekend and they didn't have 4 of the 5 movies I was looking for. It's all crap and pretty much Netflix does have the monopoly. I'm not sure what to do going forward since I do like having easy access to old movies as well as new.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
    edited July 2011
    Monopoly is exactly the first thing that came to my mind. They think that they have driven everyone out and now they can charge as much as they want. I'm seriously considering quitting. Honestly, we've been getting movies at our local library all summer, for free! I'm thinking between the library and Redbox, we can save a ton of money each month. I'm pay $20 right now and my plan will go up to $24 in Sept, that is almost half of my satellite bill.

Edit: I've been meaning to drop down ever since their last price hike. Honestly, the 9.99 for 1 dvd and streaming was a fair price. However, the 16 bucks that are raising it to is more than what I paid for 3 dvds and streaming when I first signed up. I'm not sure if I want to pay that for it. Also, their streaming movies suck for the most part, most of it is stuff that was on TV when I was a kid in the 80s. The only good thing about streaming is my little boy watches cartoons on it from time to time, but not enough to pay extra for it.
    Post edited by Cradles Broken Glass on
    fade away...

Monopoly is exactly the first thing that came to my mind. They think that they have driven everyone out and now they can charge as much as they want. I'm seriously considering quitting. Honestly, we've been getting movies at our local library all summer, for free! I'm thinking between the library and Redbox, we can save a ton of money each month. I'm pay $20 right now and my plan will go up to $24 in Sept, that is almost half of my satellite bill.

See how most people say considering though. I wonder how many will actually get around to it. I'm not sure yet what to do.

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Lizardjam wrote:

See how most people say considering though. I wonder how many will actually get around to it. I'm not sure yet what to do.
    I just looked at my billing date which is the 10th, which means it doesn't make sense cancelling right now since i've still got another 3 weeks. but once that is over i will quit.

we still pay only 8.00 in canada but for what? their "new releases" are all movies I can easilly download or rent for like a dollar. I have only ever twice...TWICE... had a movie available that i've searched for.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I just looked at my billing date which is the 10th, which means it doesn't make sense cancelling right now since i've still got another 3 weeks. but once that is over i will quit.

we still pay only 8.00 in canada but for what? their "new releases" are all movies I can easilly download or rent for like a dollar. I have only ever twice...TWICE... had a movie available that i've searched for.

I don't see a lot of new stuff even being added to the instant queue. Most of the stuff I search isn't available either.

i'm going to recommend to the woman that we cancel it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    81 wrote:

:lol:

He slept on it, ladies and gents. And, frankly, he doesn't like it.
    81 wrote:

:lol:

He slept on it, ladies and gents. And, frankly, he doesn't like it.

that was funny. :lol: post of the day
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg