Netflix raising prices again

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    I would gladly cancel the DVD service if the selection for streaming wasn't so terrible. Don't they understand that?

do you understand that it isn't up to netflix...the studios are restricting allowing netflix to stream movies since it doesn't make them enough money...netflix would love to but the only way to do that would be to raise their rates 2 or 3 times what it is now

based on the current subscriber levels, they are a looking upwards of $2B in streaming revenue.

I've not dug into their 10k or 10q (not sure i would even find it in their), but i wonder, what their costs look like net of the royalties.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    I would gladly cancel the DVD service if the selection for streaming wasn't so terrible. Don't they understand that?

do you understand that it isn't up to netflix...the studios are restricting allowing netflix to stream movies since it doesn't make them enough money...netflix would love to but the only way to do that would be to raise their rates 2 or 3 times what it is now

based on the current subscriber levels, they are a looking upwards of $2B in streaming revenue.

I've not dug into their 10k or 10q (not sure i would even find it in their), but i wonder, what their costs look like net of the royalties.

my point is, the studios, the one's that own the rights to the movies, are the one's people should be bitching at...netflix would love to stream newer movies etc...it would increase their use base but the studios, much like the music companies 10 years ago, are trying to hold on to the dvd sales revenue...streaming isn't as lucrative...i think the studios should start their own streaming services...cut out the middle man
    norm wrote:
    my point is, the studios, the one's that own the rights to the movies, are the one's people should be bitching at...netflix would love to stream newer movies etc...it would increase their use base but the studios, much like the music companies 10 years ago, are trying to hold on to the dvd sales revenue...streaming isn't as lucrative...i think the studios should start their own streaming services...cut out the middle man

i agree studios are holding back on allowing movies to be streamed. i get all that. i get the dvd sale thing. but at the same time, they could have 6 week dvd window, and than allow streaming. it kind of the same thing theaters are fighting. they want to delay dvd sales to try and keep people buying tickets on that side.

i'm just curious what netflix could offer in total to the studios based on current revenue and costs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    [

That's all well and good but netflix hasn't said they're raising their prices to pay the studios for better access to more movies...just R&D and looking into more streaming options. So even with the price increase, their selection will still stink.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    That's all well and good but netflix hasn't said they're raising their prices to pay the studios for better access to more movies...just R&D and looking into more streaming options. So even with the price increase, their selection will still stink.

that's been my complaint all along. never anything good to stream.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • norm wrote:

I get that it is the studios that decide what they can/can't stream. I just hate that netflix is pushing the streaming thing so much when the selection is shitty.
  • SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Dropping netflix?? Check out www.graboid.com
  • Leave the digital to the future.
    Hold On
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I got Netflix a while back. Last DVD is still sitting on the coffee table, it arrived sometime in January. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect the PC to the TV to stream. I guess I need to make a decision at some point.

and its still sitting here on the table - The Expendibles. not sure if we will ever watch it.

crap! I just checked and it was shipped 1/20/2011, I didn't think we had it that long. hate to do the math on how much that movie is costing. crap.

:lol::lol:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I got Netflix a while back. Last DVD is still sitting on the coffee table, it arrived sometime in January. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect the PC to the TV to stream. I guess I need to make a decision at some point.

and its still sitting here on the table - The Expendibles. not sure if we will ever watch it.

crap! I just checked and it was shipped 1/20/2011, I didn't think we had it that long. hate to do the math on how much that movie is costing. crap.

:lol::lol:

we had the movie...it was aweful....

we wathced the first half and than the DVD crapped out on us...first half was aweful....yet sent it back to get a new disc so we could watch the second half. it didn't get any better. :lol:

i'll shoot you a text in the AM to remind you to drop it in the mail. :lol:

being that tommorrow is the 8th month celebration....the cost based on the new pricing structure is $64. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ouch, that is steep. but nothing will beat the ex's infamous renting and forgetting to return stuff to Blockbuster over and over again. And don't get me started on her with Redbox - at a buck a day she can really rack it up.

I think we are more spontaneous movie watchers - check whats on Demand or on TV for a movie instead of planning it out with Netflix. Don't know how many times I will watch a movie that I just find on tv with all the commercials and editing when I own the thing on DVD.

I think the streaming would work for us better - I can't figure out how to play the PC over the tv (its old), but have watched a few on the pc with it plugged into the surround sound, not bad for two people with laptop on coffee table.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    ouch, that is steep. but nothing will beat the ex's infamous renting and forgetting to return stuff to Blockbuster over and over again. And don't get me started on her with Redbox - at a buck a day she can really rack it up.

I think we are more spontaneous movie watchers - check whats on Demand or on TV for a movie instead of planning it out with Netflix. Don't know how many times I will watch a movie that I just find on tv with all the commercials and editing when I own the thing on DVD.

I think the streaming would work for us better - I can't figure out how to play the PC over the tv (its old), but have watched a few on the pc with it plugged into the surround sound, not bad for two people with laptop on coffee table.

With all the money you've spent on movies you don't watch...go buy a dvd player that hooks up to the internet. they're $100 or less nowadays. Most have netflix already installed as well as pandora. Or if you have a Wii or a PS3...you can do the same thing.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Netflix changed their minds on splitting the service between dvd and streaming.
    Video game rental on hold now too.
    Rygar wrote:

smells like the New Coke fiasco
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Rygar wrote:

Good. One of my biggest issues with the proposed new services was that the Disc and streaming queues would not communicate with each other as they do now, not to mention the added inconvenience of having to deal with an extra company.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Rygar wrote:

What a mess...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 7492.story

But no change in pricing?

Glad we cancelled
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

guess what is still sitting on the coffee table?
  • Rygar wrote:

What a mess...

I know. WTF is going on w/ this company?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Mail it.

Cancel it.

Done.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Mail it.

Cancel it.

Done.

but, but....we just might want to watch it
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I might be one of the few that wasn't upset at the price hike. I have no shortage of things to watch on my streaming queue and use the disc option for newer movies or shows not available on streaming. I still think the price they are charging is very reasonable.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Dear rick,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

make up your damned mind. meanwhile I haven't watched any netflix movies in 9 months at least, I am still thinking about it.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I still say they're better than Blockbuster...hopefully there won't be any price hikes for awhile.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    I already canceled the dvds. Unless they're changing the price, it's still not worth it.

rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Dear rick,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

make up your damned mind. meanwhile I haven't watched any netflix movies in 9 months at least, I am still thinking about it.

anything decent in new streaming pile
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    seems like I can search and search on there and not find anything I want to watch. Turn on the TV and find some movie - one that I've seen many times or that I have on DVD, I think I am more of a spontaneous viewer that way.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    seems like I can search and search on there and not find anything I want to watch. Turn on the TV and find some movie - one that I've seen many times or that I have on DVD, I think I am more of a spontaneous viewer that way.

yet you keep paying 16 bucks a month for something you never use. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited October 2011
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

yet you keep paying 16 bucks a month for something you never use. :lol:

I have an ex-wife, and trust me, that is a lot more that $16 a month for something I never use
    Post edited by rick1zoo2 on
    true....but every dollar counts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg