the 2011 mid-year diet resolution thread

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    megatron wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    i don't think i will ever lose a pound. walked all over san fran, came home, jumped on the scale and nothing had changed. :x

it takes time to notice results. you can lose a pound going to the bathroom. i'd get on the scale after 2 weeks to notice any real changes. you gotta be patient

you would think 100 miles of walking up and down hills would have been worth something more than sore feet :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    did you try parting the sea?
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    The 81 wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    i don't think i will ever lose a pound. walked all over san fran, came home, jumped on the scale and nothing had changed. :x

it takes time to notice results. you can lose a pound going to the bathroom. i'd get on the scale after 2 weeks to notice any real changes. you gotta be patient

you would think 100 miles of walking up and down hills would have been worth something more than sore feet :x

Sometimes it takes a few days after activity. Especially if you're not drinking a ton of water. Your body holds on to it. I weigh myself daily too. It's encouraging no matter how much everyone says not to. On the flip side, like this it's also bummy when it doesn't move. Drink a lot of water today and see what it says tomorrow!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    The 81 wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

It's suggested you don't weigh yourself every day. I usually weigh once a week (although sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me and I do weigh myself mid week).

Also, you could take measurements of yourself as well, because sometimes between muscle gain / weight loss weighing yourself doesn't always show the full extent of your results! :)

Stay patient and don't get discouraged!! :)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I used to weigh myself at least once a week, but so many things can make the scale move or not move. This time I'm sticking to just taking measurements and paying attention to how my clothes fit. It's not the same instant gratification of seeing the scale go down a pound or so, but I've found my choices about eating and exercising are so much more consistent than when I weighed myself constantly. Then if the scale didn't move or if it went up, I'd feel discouraged...if it went down I might feel encouraged to keep up the good work or talk myself into deserving a treat. You have to figure out which system keeps you motivated.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    I used to weigh myself at least once a week, but so many things can make the scale move or not move. This time I'm sticking to just taking measurements and paying attention to how my clothes fit. It's not the same instant gratification of seeing the scale go down a pound or so, but I've found my choices about eating and exercising are so much more consistent than when I weighed myself constantly. Then if the scale didn't move or if it went up, I'd feel discouraged...if it went down I might feel encouraged to keep up the good work or talk myself into deserving a treat. You have to figure out which system keeps you motivated.
    totally agree!
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    this is so true.

but I did weigh myself and I'm up half a pound. Not bad since it was a bbq kinda weekend. I was good for the most part, but...ya know... :oops:
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    whatever motivates you i guess but i'm sticking to the not weighing in everyday. just to prove a point i lost 2 lbs working out and playing bball for a few hours yesterday. then gained like 4 from that after drinking lots of water and eating dinner.

another thing is that i know i'm in way better shape than 2 months ago and my weight is pretty much the same overall. i look and feel better than before..same weight.

just saying don't get discouraged.
    if you feel better it's all that matters :D
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    What is a diet? never heard of it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

whatever you eat, is your diet.
    thereyago...hope that helped.

now, back on topic...
    bit delayed posting this week, and honestly, thank bejeebus....what i weighed on tuesday after the holiday weekend :shock: ...hahahaha. however, back to normal eating and yes, i am still up a pound, so not exactly moving in the right direction but, at least i am not up 4 pounds as i was tuesday! went out for dinner with the family last night so that was no help, but things should be good going forward. have no major events coming up except my body bootcamp! 8-) my plan is to start that monday, and it lasts for 6 weeks. really hoping for positive results! i think it's just the thing to jump start it all. exercising harder, and hopefully learning better things to do, longterm at home when it ends.....eating healthy.....and i also plan on cutting alcohol for the 6 weeks. :o:o:o i know, that's a biggie for me, hahahaha. seriously. but i think my body and mind could truly use the detox. see how it goes. either way tho, i am excited to get started, tho we'll see how i think/feel monday after the first class. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

whatever you eat, is your diet.
    thereyago...hope that helped.

now, back on topic...
    bit delayed posting this week, and honestly, thank bejeebus....what i weighed on tuesday after the holiday weekend :shock: ...hahahaha. however, back to normal eating and yes, i am still up a pound, so not exactly moving in the right direction but, at least i am not up 4 pounds as i was tuesday! went out for dinner with the family last night so that was no help, but things should be good going forward. have no major events coming up except my body bootcamp! 8-) my plan is to start that monday, and it lasts for 6 weeks. really hoping for positive results! i think it's just the thing to jump start it all. exercising harder, and hopefully learning better things to do, longterm at home when it ends.....eating healthy.....and i also plan on cutting alcohol for the 6 weeks. :o:o:o i know, that's a biggie for me, hahahaha. seriously. but i think my body and mind could truly use the detox. see how it goes. either way tho, i am excited to get started, tho we'll see how i think/feel monday after the first class. :lol:
    i did bootcamp in april i wish i had the time/money to do it this month too.
    i ate TERRIBLY the entire time but still managed to lose 5 lbs that month so i'm thinking if i were to do it again i'd lose a lot more now that i'm eating healthier. you feel better too by the end of it, i could see a remarkable difference in stamina. i'm sure you'll do great!
    Awwwww thanks, I hope so!
    I've got plenty of time at the moment, and getting the deal thru groupon made it uber reasonable. Kismet, no doubt. I really am hopeful about it. Exercising hard 3x a week, eating healthfully, cutting out the alcohol for a bit...figure great jump start to long term positive changes!

Have a great weekend all and I'll letya know how it all goes Monday. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Awwwww thanks, I hope so!
    I've got plenty of time at the moment, and getting the deal thru groupon made it uber reasonable. Kismet, no doubt. I really am hopeful about it. Exercising hard 3x a week, eating healthfully, cutting out the alcohol for a bit...figure great jump start to long term positive changes!

Have a great weekend all and I'll letya know how it all goes Monday. 8-)
    Generally I've been athletic all my life but have really let myself go the last couple years. So after my first night at bootcamp, I was ok the first day but the second day after i was in immense pain... I didn't wanna go back that night everything hurt - when i woke up i couldn't even move because of my back...

But once i started running at the warm up the pain went away after i loosened up all those muscles and acids built up... Just gotta stay motivated! Don't get discouraged :)

Look forward to hearing about your results! :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    why does vduboise have to keep posting in the 'diet' thread...but has pictures of delicious cookies as her avatar? :lol:

still waiting for that recipe for the pistasio cookies (previous avatar that resembled mint chocolate cookies) :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    why does vduboise have to keep posting in the 'diet' thread...but has pictures of delicious cookies as her avatar? :lol:

still waiting for that recipe for the pistasio cookies (previous avatar that resembled mint chocolate cookies) :D

Now those are graham cracker cookies with marshmallow fluff filling. Yummy. Its motivation. Once you reach your goals, I'll send you some yummy treats!

this week- the diet is going ok, but the exercise is almost at a stand still. My left knee is not doing so good. Going for an MRI this week to see what's going on with it. So I'm eating ok, but haven't lost anything this week.

I'm PM'ing you the recipe right now!
    haffajappa wrote:
    Generally I've been athletic all my life but have really let myself go the last couple years. So after my first night at bootcamp, I was ok the first day but the second day after i was in immense pain... I didn't wanna go back that night everything hurt - when i woke up i couldn't even move because of my back...

But once i started running at the warm up the pain went away after i loosened up all those muscles and acids built up... Just gotta stay motivated! Don't get discouraged :)

soooo first day of bootcamp and..... :shock:
    hahahaha. actually, sure it was tough, but it wasn't "as bad" as i had expected it to be. so that's a good thing i think. instructor said i did extremely well for my first class and he was quite impressed with how flexible i am. i definitely think this is going to be good for me, i have never pushed myself so hard on my own, and maybe after this, i will! definitely exercises i can do at home, so helpful. i am a wee bit disappointed tho, supposed to get a handout about nutrition, food shopping, what to do on your off days, etc. was also supposed to get measured and picture taken - both of which i can live without :lol: .....but the rest i would like. i read a LOT about health, nutrition and exercise so doubt there'd be anything new in it for me, but none the less...i'd be interested. maybe wednesday i'll ask. today being my first day i was hesitant. i am really glad i signed up for this tho! :mrgreen:

and, i lost 2 pounds! 8-)
    however, i had gained 2 last week, haha.....so i am.....exactly where i was when i started this thread. :|
    that said, it's all good. last weekend with the holiday, and then a dinner out mid-week, i am pretty pleased i managed to lose....and now going forward, got my bootcamp and no more alcohol! :o not forever, no way!....just for the 6 weeks. i need to get back into healthier habits, and daily drinking, errr.....not so good. hubby wanted to open a 2nd bottle after dinner last night, so have about 1.5 glasses left that i will have with dinner tonight....and then that's IT!

oh, and i have never been athletic. at all. i was a skinny, skinny kid...porked out during puberty...then when everything leveled out, a skinny/thin teen, thin early adult. only after 30, depression, quitting smoking, ya know...life......did the pounds start to creep on.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

haffajappa wrote:

soooo first day of bootcamp and..... :shock:
    hahahaha. actually, sure it was tough, but it wasn't "as bad" as i had expected it to be. so that's a good thing i think. instructor said i did extremely well for my first class and he was quite impressed with how flexible i am. i definitely think this is going to be good for me, i have never pushed myself so hard on my own, and maybe after this, i will! definitely exercises i can do at home, so helpful. i am a wee bit disappointed tho, supposed to get a handout about nutrition, food shopping, what to do on your off days, etc. was also supposed to get measured and picture taken - both of which i can live without :lol: .....but the rest i would like. i read a LOT about health, nutrition and exercise so doubt there'd be anything new in it for me, but none the less...i'd be interested. maybe wednesday i'll ask. today being my first day i was hesitant. i am really glad i signed up for this tho! :mrgreen:

and, i lost 2 pounds! 8-)
    however, i had gained 2 last week, haha.....so i am.....exactly where i was when i started this thread. :|
    that said, it's all good. last weekend with the holiday, and then a dinner out mid-week, i am pretty pleased i managed to lose....and now going forward, got my bootcamp and no more alcohol! :o not forever, no way!....just for the 6 weeks. i need to get back into healthier habits, and daily drinking, errr.....not so good. hubby wanted to open a 2nd bottle after dinner last night, so have about 1.5 glasses left that i will have with dinner tonight....and then that's IT!

oh, and i have never been athletic. at all. i was a skinny, skinny kid...porked out during puberty...then when everything leveled out, a skinny/thin teen, thin early adult. only after 30, depression, quitting smoking, ya know...life......did the pounds start to creep on.
    I've always been chubby, at least since i was 13 or 14, but still played a crazy amount of sports and did well at them. but the last 3 years or so, i have completely ballooned. eek.

awesome to hear you are enjoying the bootcamp!!
    i have been meaning to go back and do it another month but it is sooo expensive and a big time committment for me as i have 3 jobs at the moment...but it makes you feel so good especially if you continue at it and see those results! best of luck to you!! :)

as for the drinking, i've never been a huge drinker but do enjoy the odd night a week having a few glasses of wine or going out and having a good time... basically i have just switched to drinking lighter wines like white or rose instead of really dense red wine or other types of alcohol ...and try to limit it to one large glass and then that's it. it saves money too! ;)
    oh i went for a run last night and was surprised at how long i ran for... i worked an 8 hour shift (on my feet all day) plus the hour and a half each way transit, but i told myself not to sit down when i got home otherwise i wouldn't get back up! so i changed and took the dog for a walk, then went for a run (she's too old these days to run) and surprisingly lasted a lot longer than usual. i can see my stamina building up! yay! :D

got up early and went to the gym this morning too....
    i have been plateau-ing these last 2 weeks so my goal is to make it to 15 lbs by saturday... then try to eat as healthy as possible when i head down for the shows... which is going to be TOUGH!
    Tried a new workout this week - "Breathless Body" with Amy Dixon. The advanced version is a really good cardio workout. I had to drop down to the intermediate level for some of the intervals. Worked up a great sweat! I went to the beach Sunday and Monday...managed to eat healthy even on the boardwalk (who knew that was possible??) lol People at work today commented that I've lost a lot of weight. I haven't mentioned that I changed my diet to them, so it's great that people I see every day are noticing!

Tried a new workout this week - "Breathless Body" with Amy Dixon. The advanced version is a really good cardio workout. I had to drop down to the intermediate level for some of the intervals. Worked up a great sweat! I went to the beach Sunday and Monday...managed to eat healthy even on the boardwalk (who knew that was possible??) lol People at work today commented that I've lost a lot of weight. I haven't mentioned that I changed my diet to them, so it's great that people I see every day are noticing!
    awesome! keep up the good work :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I was bad...very very bad this weekend :(

Went to a street fair and walked around all day (6 hours) but I couldn't resist a cupcake...vanilla with strawberry buttercream frosting...I only ate half, but it was THE most delicious 'premium cupcake' I've ever had!

still holding at my current weight though.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Well lost 1/4 pound this week.

Really tired again, and when I'm tired I can't resist sugary foods. I need to sleep more.
    haffajappa wrote:
    awesome! keep up the good work :D
    Thanks! I think I'm about 5-7 pounds away from my goal based on how my clothes are fitting. Almost there I hope.

I weighed myself yesterday but am scared to see what i am at tonight.
    Had udon twice this week, plus bacon and eggs THRICE! EEK!

Did lots of work outs beginning of the week, not so much the end, and I'm heading to seattle tmrw for EV so I'm hoping I can exercise some SELF DISCIPLINE!

(Which is NOT what happened tonight when a coworker brought in a bunch of left over treats after dinner service! booo!)

So I am going to stick with the weigh in i had yesterday, which puts me at -13 lbs! :D
    haffajappa wrote:
    I weighed myself yesterday but am scared to see what i am at tonight.
    Had udon twice this week, plus bacon and eggs THRICE! EEK!

Did lots of work outs beginning of the week, not so much the end, and I'm heading to seattle tmrw for EV so I'm hoping I can exercise some SELF DISCIPLINE!

(Which is NOT what happened tonight when a coworker brought in a bunch of left over treats after dinner service! booo!)

So I am going to stick with the weigh in i had yesterday, which puts me at -13 lbs! :D

Make that 13.4 :D
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I've lost another 1.5kgs 3ish lbs so that is now 5.5lbs. I have been walking a little, but it is mostly through portion control, I'm trying to fill up more on protein and eating less carbs, and less junk. It feels good to look at the scale coming down slowly. :)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    It was a junky kinda week and inconsistent meals, so I didn't weigh myself today. Eh.... I kinda lost some motivation, but I'm going to push though this week and eat better. Maybe if I can get into a routine, then I can get myself back on track
    soooo...one week into no alcohol, hard workouts 3x a week and eating healthy and.....i'm up a half pound. :? hmmmmmm. hahaha. i am sure it's just where i am in my cycle, whatever. bit bummed not to see any progress on the scall BUT, i know i am doing my body good, so it's ok. i am going to try and watch the food intake a bit more carefully this week, and hopefully with the momentum of being in my 2nd week, hopefully i'll start to see the scale and the tape measure move down even just a wee bit.

happy to read how well most of you are doing! :D

cbg - sounds like you are doing fabulously!
    i'd love to read about your routine and how you altered your diet.
    every little bit of information is a help for us all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,233
    Every morning I get these things from Men's Health about the worst foods, such as the worst fast-food things, the worst deserts and so on and I can say I've never eaten any of the ones listed, so I guess that's something.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    soooo...one week into no alcohol, hard workouts 3x a week and eating healthy and.....i'm up a half pound. :? hmmmmmm. hahaha. i am sure it's just where i am in my cycle, whatever. bit bummed not to see any progress on the scall BUT, i know i am doing my body good, so it's ok. i am going to try and watch the food intake a bit more carefully this week, and hopefully with the momentum of being in my 2nd week, hopefully i'll start to see the scale and the tape measure move down even just a wee bit.

happy to read how well most of you are doing! :D

cbg - sounds like you are doing fabulously!
    i'd love to read about your routine and how you altered your diet.
    every little bit of information is a help for us all.

you are gaining muscle!!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me