the 2011 mid-year diet resolution thread

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
yea, i missed the new year here and i have vowed to get more healthy this year. overall i HAVE been healthier - except for copious alcohol consumption :oops: but i have not done enough to lose some weight. i lost 25 pounds last year, and i have regained 10. i want to lose 30 pounds. i did so a few years ago whe i first started to pudge out, but went back to my wicked ways and gained it all back and then some. s i am back down to my original pudgy weight :P...time to finally get this shit off my body. i started exercising daily back in february :shock: i know, me...exercising! but i fell off the wagon in may. hard. hahaha. so i decided june would be my month to get back on track and get my dreamin' arse back down to a skinny size. :)

anyone want to join me, post away!
:mrgreen:
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I'm up for this. I'd like to lose 15lbs by Sept.
    This can be my motivation.
    I'll keep checking back here for updates.

When are you starting?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I started eating much healthier and working out (anything from walking to soccer to going to the gym) at least 3 or 4 times a week. I lost nearly 5 pounds this past week because I've been doing weight watchers with my mom :oops:
    I don't stick to it as strictly as my mom but I am eating soooo much better since I've started this challenge.

My goal is to lose 50 pounds by next winter!
    We'll see how it goes :? :?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I've been exercising more for the last two months because I need to lose the extra weight I'm carrying around. Everything is getting more solid and compact but I don't see the scale going down so...

I'm gonna have to start dieting too. I hate dieting! :x

I like the idea of a support thread for this project. I need to learn how to diet because I have no trouble with exercising but...ugh...not eating, not drinking, it's going to take some determination and practice!!

I was recently reassured to learn that successful dieters are like people who are finally able to stop smoking. They have to make several failed attempts before they finally get it done. I've already had several runs at this dieting thing so, I'm ready to get it right this time. :? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    This is something I'd really like to do. Dieting I can handle, but I really need to get back into exercising again. I spent many years weightlifting then stopped due to lots of things (her). Even my sons keep telling me to get back in shape. My 10 year old had me on the track Saturday and we ran together, first time I had run like that in a long time and wow did I feel heavy, it was a struggle. I would like to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and just get into better cardio-vascular shape and hopefully get back into the weights.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i could stand to lose 20 pounds. i find the best way to lose a quick 10 is to catch a mild case of the flu.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I was able to lose the weight I wanted a year ago. The process I used is quite simple and it was very efficient.

Multiply your weight in lbs by 14. Subtract about 500 from that number. That is the calories you need each day.

Try to eat at least 140 grams of protein per day. Keep complex carbs to a minimum.... maybe a serving per day. Track everything you eat on fatsecret or livestrong.

Drink a lot of water.

lift weights 3x a week-ish. General/basic weight lifting. Dont have to concentrate on every tiny muscle in each group.

Weigh yourself weekly and adjust your calorie intake to lose about 2 pounds per week. For the first 3 weeks or so you will see a bit of fluctuation so dont take that as an alert for any adjustments.

This plan will ensure you are losing weight due to a caloric deficit, but makes sure your muscles are maintained and fat is what is burned off your body.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Mayday...you mean multiply your goal weight, not your current, yes?
    I actually follow a lot of what you've posted....I read a LOT about health and nutrition, just putting it into practice not always so great. ;) As I mentioned, I lost 25 pounds last year following many of your suggestions, tho not really exercising. Well, I used to walk 1.5 miles and walk up/down 20 flights of stairs, on workdays. But that was all my exercise.

I find it far easier to watch my food than exercise, tho I have started up again. Weight train and cardio 3x a week, just cardio - but more of it - 2x a week. I do it all at home, works for me. Justam, i too can see some tightening and muscle definition happening, tho under the flab :lol: but I've lost a pound since January, haha, so I obviously have not been doing well with the food, eh really, the drinking portion. I'd be embarrassed to put into type just how much I've been drinking this past year :oops: but hey, better than shooting up heroin so I figure it was my one coping mechanism. I AM going to change that tho, absolutely. I find keeping a food journal a big help. I set up a little spread sheet in numbers, have done so for 1.5 years now. I like to see what Ive been consuming, my daily weight fluctuations, record my exercise and my monthly measurements. Yes, not made progress this year but I do think well, at least I've maintained.

Sooooo.....I am making it official for myself this Wednesday. Was meant to be June 1st, but I always seem to have false starts. :D it's my husbands birthday tomorrow, so figure Wednesday is good for me. Today is exactly 3 months until we leave for the Canadian shows, so idk how much I can lose before then or not, but I think that's a good first goal date for me for some solid progress. I am definitely aiming for 2 pounds a week/loss.

Oh and AM.....don't think of it as a diet per se.....think of it as lifestyle change. When I lost weight in the past, I actually ate a lot MORe...but it was what I ate that made all the difference, very healthy food choices. And sure, usually one weekend day I'd allow indulgences and you bet....alcohol. Has to be sustainable, right?

So I am on for this Wednesday, and check in days on Mondays?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,233
    I try to walk every day and when possible do a 5K walk along the water in Bayside Queens between Northern Blvd and Fort Totten near the Cross Island Parkway. I try to do other walks like through parks and so on. An example was last Friday when I was with a friend, who is significantly bigger than me but wants to lose weight. We originally wanted to see a movie, but it was so nice out and the fact that it was 13 bucks wasn't appealing to me so I suggested a walk. By my rough count from online maps, it came out to about seven miles.

For the last three or four years, I've been between 185-190 and I have to say I'm proud that I accomplished it without plunking money down to join a gym and did it mostly by walking.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    D2d, I'm all for starting the diet Wednesday and check-ins on Mondays. :)

I have been keeping an exercise log so now I'll start a food-consumption/alcohol consumption book as well. :? :P

The summer is the best time for me to pay attention to this because I get so overwhelmed with work during the school year that I don't have the mental space to pay attention to the project. I need to do it though.

I have this goal of living a long time and if I don't stop this trend of gaining a few pounds every year it's gonna interfere with my long life! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    D2d, I'm all for starting the diet tomorrow and check-ins on Mondays. :)

I have been keeping an exercise log so now I'll start a food-consumption/alcohol consumption book as well. :? :P

The summer is the best time for me to pay attention to this because I get so overwhelmed with work during the school year that I don't have the mental space to pay attention to the project. I need to do it though.

I have this goal of living a long time and if I don't stop this trend of gaining a few pounds every year it's gonna interfere with my long life! :D

Well you can start tomorrow....but I won't be there until Wednesday. :mrgreen:
    Going out for Greek food tomorrow for the birthday celebration, and wine will be consumed.

It's funny, I always found when I was working was the best time for me, simply because my life was so much more scheduled. Also, I always brought from home my own lunch and snacks, all healthy, and would not deviate from that. So good breakfast at home, good lunch and snacks from home at work, healthy dinner with the hubby......only after that and on weekends, left to my own devices, things can get ugly. ;)

So on the one hand, I am kinda happy that I "only" regained 10 pounds in the last year, given WHAT this year has been like. But you bet, I want to live a long and healthy life too....and I just want to look and feel better in my clothes, so you bet.....I'm 42......time to get my dreamin arse in shape! 8-)

And, I love my little journal. I made my spreadsheet very visually pleasing :D and I love seeing progress, or even just maintenance, tho these past 6 months, ugh.....just back and forth. Thus why I need to kick it into gear.

Good for you xman! I joined a gym, once, years ago. Not for me. I am far better on my own. I've bought/read some health and diet books.....I read a LOT on the topic, so I feel quite well informed, and that's enough for me. I have a yoga mat, some free weights and a balance ball.....all work well for me. That and some tone up sneakers and flip flops f :P and the stairs in my house, and I'm good to go!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• I joined a gym very close to work, and go on my lunch break. It gets me there usually three days a week, and the honey and I have started playing tennis once a week.

The bad thing is he and I also like to indulge in wings and beer, so tennis is usually a wash for us :lol:

I'll check in for support too. Don't have any weight loss goals, just want to keep looking good for my much younger man as I approach 35 :lol:
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    D2D- I'll start with you too!

Since I've been home with the munchkin, I've gained some- I was an extreme workaholic for over 10 years and last year was a drastic reduction. I love being home and watching her grow, but its also making me grow too :oops: :o :oops:

So on to a new diet. My Husband got the "4-Hr Body" by Tim Ferriss- very interesting read. He has the slow carb diet- which I've done in the beginning of the year- In a month I lost 11lbs- with minimal work out- 1-2x a week. Diet does make a difference- and being a pastry chef, doesn't help.

This diet is mostly about beans- lots of it- and veggies and protein, but only specific beans, and specific foods will give you a better/faster result. When I followed it to the letter- I lost a lot more than when I deviated to get some variety. Its not a starvation diet- but get used to eating the same foods over and over (I found breakfast the hardest- I love eggs and I got tired of it by the end of the month). But the one plus- it factors in a day off to eat what ever you want. So 6 days on, 1 off.

If you want to try it- I can write the specifics on it.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    :lol: ... did you start a foodie thread on the same day as this one!? ... :mrgreen:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I joined a gym very close to work, and go on my lunch break. It gets me there usually three days a week, and the honey and I have started playing tennis once a week.

The bad thing is he and I also like to indulge in wings and beer, so tennis is usually a wash for us :lol:

I'll check in for support too. Don't have any weight loss goals, just want to keep looking good for my much younger man as I approach 35 :lol:

you wanna play some doubles action. :lol: i'll bring the one legged gf along. :o
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    :lol: ... did you start a foodie thread on the same day as this one!? ... :mrgreen:

Possibly.... ;)
    And hey, that IS the point, isnt it?
    To be able to love and enjoy food......and be healthy?
    I think it's possible.
    When I was successful at both, I was happier.
    Tho I fully admit, life was a helluva lot easier at 20 when I could eat and drink anything, and still be under 120 and a size 4. :? Aging is cruel....but at least you get to keep on living! :mrgreen:

VDuboise....sounds interesting but, I think I am going to. Just do my own thing. Firstly, I like black beans, but I don't like any bean that much, haha. Secondly, I find it difficult to be that regimented, I need variety. The first time I purged out, early 30s....ugh.....I went from being naturally thin, eating what I wanted...to slowly packing on pounds, ugh. I had never dieted in my life. I decided to try Atkins. I read everything about it, embraced it...tho I did make modifications for myself.....and I lost 35 pounds in 3 months. So yea, cool.....but when I went back to normal eating, I gained it all back in timeand then some. :oops:

So for me, I realize I have to do it my ownway. I really do know a good deal about health and nutrition at is point, and last year I lost those 25 pounds on my own little diet. Not so much a diet, but a new lifestyle. However, life thru me some curveballs and I regressed, terribly....and here I am.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• The 81 wrote:
    I joined a gym very close to work, and go on my lunch break. It gets me there usually three days a week, and the honey and I have started playing tennis once a week.

you wanna play some doubles action. :lol: i'll bring the one legged gf along. :o

Your GF only has one leg? She and I should be a pretty good match-up then (tell her to leave the prosthesis at home though).
    Polaris....I see now....I started the foodie thread on one day, this thread the next. :lol:

And vduboise.....actually, wouldn't mind reading about your diet , just out of curiosity and the fact you can always pick up new tips to incorporate even if you don't embrace something whole hog.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Possibly.... ;)
    I think it's possible.
    Tho I fully admit, life was a helluva lot easier at 20 when I could eat and drink anything, and still be under 120 and a size 4. :? Aging is cruel....but at least you get to keep on living! :mrgreen:

definitely ... it's possible ... hit whatever farmers markets are close to you ... it'll get you started!
    polaris_x wrote:
    Possibly.... ;)
    I think it's possible.
    x
    definitely ... it's possible ... hit whatever farmers markets are close to you ... it'll get you started!

Actually, what I really need is to NOT hit up the liquor store and avoid the junk....that's the real combo that works for me, when I put it into practice that is. ;)

Also, it's summer, so fantastic Thai cucumber salad....yummmmmmY...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I just started weight watchers to lose 25-30lbs. Though I'd like to lose it by next week, I think the late fall is an okay goal. I figure if I hit goal weight before the holiday season approaches, I will be way less likely to blow it and go all out on sweets. I hope to go back to the gym soon, but right now I have a stress fracture in my foot, so I have to be really good about the food part. It would be great to join a check in so I'm semi accountable.
    I just started weight watchers to lose 25-30lbs. Though I'd like to lose it by next week, I think the late fall is an okay goal. I figure if I hit goal weight before the holiday season approaches, I will be way less likely to blow it and go all out on sweets. I hope to go back to the gym soon, but right now I have a stress fracture in my foot, so I have to be really good about the food part. It would be great to join a check in so I'm semi accountable.

Hiya gray....good to seeya again. I think we both had a long board hiatus.
    I have to thank you, and/or your mom I think. On my fridge as inspiration, I have written out on a post it:

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

I'd like to lose it all tomorrow too. He'll, my plan was to start in January and be there already by now, right before our anniversary, and....nada. The best laid plans eh? So, to be at my goal weight, maybe even a few pounds less.....and maintaining, by my birthday which is the end of November, would be awesome. I'd love to lose the 30 by early September, but idk if that's doable, but if I could lose 20-25 by then I would be thrilled! I think if I eat well, cut back severely on the alcohol and manage to keep up the exercise....it might happen.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    justam wrote:
    I've been exercising more for the last two months because I need to lose the extra weight I'm carrying around. Everything is getting more solid and compact but I don't see the scale going down so...

I'm gonna have to start dieting too. I hate dieting! :x

that's so like me!! I actually joined a gym last May 27th so i just had my 1-year anniv. on sticking with it!! I have always worked out at home but I don't motivate myself too well so i am loving the classes which is really all I do. I have been lifting weights 3 x/week and cardio 2-3 times week. I have really not lost much weight but I am toner and my clothes do fit better. My endurance is a lot better than when I started. I admit–I do not weigh myself since it pisses me off that nothing changes much in that regard! But muscle weighs more than fat, right?!! ;)

So I have been trying to eat better but damn there is 1 person in my office that is always bringing in absolute CRAP to eat and I have NO willpower. But I am really gonna try my hardest now.

It’s kinda dumb to work out really hard every day and blow it by not eating good.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If I could somehow stop drinking beer, I'm sure I could lose 20 lbs easy in no time at all. But that would require me to stop drinking beer. And that's just crazy talk. :mrgreen:

Actually, I'm in on the challenge. I'm just starting to harvest strawberries from my garden and I'm committed to eating healthy.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm in...I need to get my cardio up...lost 20lbs since I got made redundant over a year ago. Hit my plateau, so something else needs to change.

So far I have:
    *drink a glass of water before each meal...it will essentially make the food you eat expand in your stomach, so you feel full sooner. I started ordering soda water when we go to the bar instead of Sprite/Sierra Mist.

*cut out 90% of the junk that I used to eat-so now instead of munching on chips, I eat fruit or cherrios. Now I'm to the point where if I do pig out on junk food, I get sick.

*upped my veggie intake-I make veggie salads, no lettuce, mainly tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and sometimes an avocado.

*cut out a lot of red meat-now I eat it once a week, replaced with more fish/chicken.

*cut out anything that contains HFCs, MSG and any other chemicals...after I did this, I actually felt fuller sooner.

I used to do Weight Watchers, but it's really tough, I did lose a good chunk of weight the first week, but when we go out, or go to a friend's for dinner, it was really hard to figure points out...and I got sick of people asking, 'can you eat this?'

I no longer look at it as a 'diet', it's a lifestyle change (no! not the kind that one guy was talking about!) once you get in that mindset, you no longer feel like you are in 'food jail'. Don't get me wrong, I still eat ice cream and have an occasional Frappachino, I just don't have that craving to eat that stuff all the time like I used to.

a bad side effect is that I'm losing weight in areas I don't mind being 'rounder' in.... :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878

Hiya gray....good to seeya again. I think we both had a long board hiatus.
    I have to thank you, and/or your mom I think. On my fridge as inspiration, I have written out on a post it:

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

I'd like to lose it all tomorrow too. He'll, my plan was to start in January and be there already by now, right before our anniversary, and....nada. The best laid plans eh? So, to be at my goal weight, maybe even a few pounds less.....and maintaining, by my birthday which is the end of November, would be awesome. I'd love to lose the 30 by early September, but idk if that's doable, but if I could lose 20-25 by then I would be thrilled! I think if I eat well, cut back severely on the alcohol and manage to keep up the exercise....it might happen.

That's too funny that you have that quote on your fridge! My mom says it all the time, though clearly it's done her no good. I think the words need to actually be followed up by actions, and her action is to eat raw cookie dough by the tub. Ugh!

My issue is just loving sweets since having my son. Well, since being pregnant. I had iron clad will power before getting pregnant and now I'm like, "Oh, you need a bakery recommendation? Ask me, I've only been to all 3 million in chicago, about 37,000 times each". I do well all day, and then I'm like, well let's go out to get a treat. Such a bad habit and it's starting to show. I want to nip it in the bed before I really go over board.
    And vduboise.....actually, wouldn't mind reading about your diet , just out of curiosity and the fact you can always pick up new tips to incorporate even if you don't embrace something whole hog.

Here is the main parts of this diet. You can definitely change it up to work for you- but the main part of it is that on the slow-carb diet, you can't eat anything white except cauliflower - 6 days a week. On the 7th you can eat and drink anything-this seems to be a must and it definitely helps with the cravings knowing you can binge out on this day.

• eat the same few meals over and over and eat as much as you like, the * are the most effective foods:
    Proteins:
    *egg whites with 1-2 whole eggs for flavor
    *chicken breasts or thigh
    *beef (preferably grass fed)
    *fish
    pork

Legumes:
    *lentils
    *black beans
    pinto beans
    red beans
    soybeans

Vegetables:
    *spinach
    *mixed veg
    *sauerkraut, kimchee
    Asparagus
    peas
    broccoli
    green beans

and red wine- 1-2 glasses :D

You also eat 5-6 meals a day, mixing up the choices, but keep it simple! Lots of water and NO fruit.

It was effective- and definitely got me into eating more veggies and less carbs. I was a bit hungry some days, so I just added a meal of veggies or something along that lines.

Also, I did a photo journal: took a picture of all that I ate- with a hand or fork as reference to size of my meal. The visual really helped me see what I was eating and how much of it.
    You can drink wine daily?

Not bad, but yes....similar ideas to Atkins. I think we know how to be healthy, it's the doing of it.
    And, I love fruit. So absolutely, got to find the balance that works for you.
    Thanks for posting!

Rckcndy, inspirational! I've been home almost a year now, can't even believe it....but sadly I did not take this as time to improve, but better late than never!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

Rckcndy, inspirational! I've been home almost a year now, can't even believe it....but sadly I did not take this as time to improve, but better late than never!

ahhhh....most of it was lost in the first week of becoming redundant...I haven't been as productive as I hoped to be. :(

I need something to work for..it's really dis-heartening to apply for piddly part time receptionist jobs, and I don't even get a call back.

Also, I'm finding this new 'vanity sizing' that clothing manufacturers are using are really annoying. I hate dressing rooms, and just want to buy off the rack, go home and try it on. A few weeks ago, I bought shorts in a size smaller than what I usually wear, I was really :D
    I get home and try it on...and the shorts are BIGGER than last years shorts, but the size says they are SMALLER :x
    I put on a pair of shorts (from a few years ago) that are the same size as the new ones I bought...and yeah...I'm really not that size. :evil:
    Guess I'll stick with the baggy shorts I have now until I reach my goal weight, then buy new clothes. :roll:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    yeah, the no fruit was hard. My Dr hates the Atkins- she says Weight Watchers is better- because it changes how you eat for life- not for the span of the diet. I'm going to try the slow carb again for a month and then see how it goes from there.

Then main thing, is to try something and stick with it for awhile, and hope that it works!
    RKCNDY wrote:
    ahhhh....most of it was lost in the first week of becoming redundant...I haven't been as productive as I hoped to be. :(

I need something to work for..it's really dis-heartening to apply for piddly part time receptionist jobs, and I don't even get a call back.

Also, I'm finding this new 'vanity sizing' that clothing manufacturers are using are really annoying. I hate dressing rooms, and just want to buy off the rack, go home and try it on. A few weeks ago, I bought shorts in a size smaller than what I usually wear, I was really :D
    I get home and try it on...and the shorts are BIGGER than last years shorts, but the size says they are SMALLER
    :x
    I put on a pair of shorts (from a few years ago) that are the same size as the new ones I bought...and yeah...I'm really not that size. :evil:

Idk wtf is with iPad and quotes....ugh.
    Anyhow, I hear ya othe sizing. It's BS. When I was a twig, and I mean....twig! I was a size 4. When I got thin again a couple of years ago....thin, not twig....probably 15-20 pounds heavier than my twig weight, I was a 6. Such bullshit. That said, I was so excited by the 6 on the label got me to buy a very expensive pair of jeans based on my joy at the # and the smile on my husbands face while viewing my ass in said jeans at the store. :mrgreen: I still have those jeans, haha. Now to get in them.

So, I hearya I do!

And hey, you dealt with it a lot more healthfully than I did; I drank like a fish...for a solid year. :oops:
    Being kind to myself, a lot more had happened, and it was my one way of coping with out truly going off the deep end, but still...

So....time to treat myself kinder.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...