the 2011 mid-year diet resolution thread

Comments

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    sheila0225 wrote:
    one of my favorite things in the slow cooker is BBQ Chicken

put some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the cooker (high in protein as well)
    put some bbq sauce over it ( i use saz's bbq sauce b/c it's gluten free)
    and let it cook on low for about 4-5 hours.

i then shred my chicken and have it for sandwiches on some gluten free bread.

another favorite:

boneless chuck roast
    cut up an onion
    throw in some peppers (whatever colors you like)
    baby portabella mushrooms
    some water
    again, cook slow for about 4-8 hrs. depending on how much you want it to fall apart.
    (me, I like it when it's falling apart)

in the last hour or so throw in some red potatoes cubed and some carrots and there's a whole meal.

i also make lasagna in the slow cooker....I use my slow cooker for everything and anything when I can.

I've never done fish in a slow cooker though. I've always broiled that or sauteed it.
    These sound like great recipes. Definitely up my alley. Thank you!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    sheila0225 wrote:
    justam wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I did cut back on the size of my meals too...but again, when Mr. RK cooks, he makes enough to feed 5 people, and if we don't finish it, he will throw it away, so I try to eat more because I hate throwing food away!

Freeze the leftovers in lunch-sized containers rather than eat them to save them from the trash.
    Don't turn your body into a an alternate trash can to relieve your guilt about throwing away food! :?

I read this in a book years ago and I think about it anytime I'm tempted to eat something rather than throw it away.

I do the same thing...or make different meals with the leftovers the following night.

Mr. RK thinks that since he is making more money 'we can afford to throw food away' :roll:
    He grew up eating leftovers and pretty much refuses to eat them now...help me
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    sheila0225 wrote:
    one of my favorite things in the slow cooker is BBQ Chicken

put some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the cooker (high in protein as well)
    put some bbq sauce over it ( i use saz's bbq sauce b/c it's gluten free)
    and let it cook on low for about 4-5 hours.

i then shred my chicken and have it for sandwiches on some gluten free bread.

another favorite:

boneless chuck roast
    cut up an onion
    throw in some peppers (whatever colors you like)
    baby portabella mushrooms
    some water
    again, cook slow for about 4-8 hrs. depending on how much you want it to fall apart.
    (me, I like it when it's falling apart)

in the last hour or so throw in some red potatoes cubed and some carrots and there's a whole meal.

i also make lasagna in the slow cooker....I use my slow cooker for everything and anything when I can.

I've never done fish in a slow cooker though. I've always broiled that or sauteed it.
    These sound like great recipes. Definitely up my alley. Thank you!

You are quite welcome. If you want more....just let me know. I LOVE FOOD!!! I have a killer brownie recipe. And believe it or not...ITS ALL HEALTHY!!! :D
    Mr. RK thinks that since he is making more money 'we can afford to throw food away'
    He grew up eating leftovers and pretty much refuses to eat them now...help me

I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe he had boring leftovers growing up....Maybe he just needs them spiced up. Like grilled chicken one night but a spicy chicken rollup the next...same meat....different context of eating it. Just an idea. ;)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Well, over a week of mr. Dream home on vacation, and I am up a half pound. :? Oops.
    Actually, I am not too upset about it. Copious amounts of food and alcohol has been consumed, no regular exercise since last Tuesday, so really....,not too bad. Hubby doesn't go back to work until. Monday, so if I can manage to hold steady, things will be good. I knew it would be near impossible with the vacation, but you bet.....I am determined once this week is done to get on track. I think I might do a self imposed alcohol detox when I start the body bootcamp class, well see. :mrgreen: Glad everyone is doing so well!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    RKCNDY wrote:

and vduboise's avatar does NOT help...it makes me crave mint chocolate chip ice cream....

These are so good. its a pistachio macaroon with dark chocolate ganache. Thank goodness I haven't made any in the past few weeks. I would be up more than 2 lbs. Being a pastry chef does not help with the dieting, and my will power is not strong. 10 years ago, I could just walk away from the sweets and not give a second thought- now....it takes a lot of work to talk myself down. (which is why I'm 15lb overweight :oops: )
    vduboise wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

and vduboise's avatar does NOT help...it makes me crave mint chocolate chip ice cream....

These are so good. its a pistachio macaroon with dark chocolate ganache. Thank goodness I haven't made any in the past few weeks. I would be up more than 2 lbs. Being a pastry chef does not help with the dieting, and my will power is not strong. 10 years ago, I could just walk away from the sweets and not give a second thought- now....it takes a lot of work to talk myself down. (which is why I'm 15lb overweight :oops: )

now I'm gonna ask you for the recipe... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    sheila0225 wrote:

You are quite welcome. If you want more....just let me know. I LOVE FOOD!!! I have a killer brownie recipe. And believe it or not...ITS ALL HEALTHY!!! :D
    You have a recipe for a healthy brownie??? good god woman! don't hold out on me!!! :lol:

sheila0225 wrote:

You have a recipe for a healthy brownie??? good god woman! don't hold out on me!!! :lol:

FYI....healthy does not mean local.
    Just saying....
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

sheila0225 wrote:

Just saying....
    I'll take what I can get! :lol: I haven't had sweets in so long and my sweet tooth is really starting to hate me. The new Dunkin' Donuts on campus opened about 3 weeks ago...I have to walk by the damn thing constantly to and from my office. Those munchkins want me to want them :evil:

Just saying....
    I'll take what I can get! :lol: I haven't had sweets in so long and my sweet tooth is really starting to hate me. The new Dunkin' Donuts on campus opened about 3 weeks ago...I have to walk by the damn thing constantly to and from my office. Those munchkins want me to want them :evil:

You do want them....but you're behaving. Good on you. I'll join you.....next week. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

sheila0225 wrote:

Just saying....
    Are you talking locally sourced? Or local to where you are?
    sheila0225 wrote:

Just saying....
    Are you talking locally sourced? Or local to where you are?

Lo....cal.
    Low.....calorie.
    Just having a bit of fun with cbg.
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Lol....gotcha....didn't see the space in there...lol. the eyes are doing a number on me today. I'll check into it though...it may be lower calories than a regular brownie. :)) so essentially better. :D
    Here is my version of a "healthy" brownie.

1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
    3 large eggs
    1/3 cup melted butter, more for the baking dish (I use ghee since it's dairy and casein free)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
    1/2 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can use regular chips but the nutrition count will go up)
    1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts ( I don't use nuts in food)

Method
    Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.
    Nutrition
    Per serving (1 brownie/about 2oz/60g-wt.): 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 17g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 4g protein

And don't let the black beans stop you....it's freaking delicious.

Hope you enjoy. :D
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Thanks shelia0225.. I'll try the pic on the fridge. Maybe that will help. And I've never tried almond butter--have to check into that.

I fell off the food wagon yesterday (pms, I think--uggh). Back on today. :) One step forward, two back. :? Good to see everyone!
    EmBleve wrote:
    Thanks shelia0225.. I'll try the pic on the fridge. Maybe that will help. And I've never tried almond butter--have to check into that.

I fell off the food wagon yesterday (pms, I think--uggh). Back on today. :) One step forward, two back. :? Good to see everyone!

I <3 almond butter. It's healthier and less fattening than peanut butter. I love it. I switched to almond butter for my kids when they want pb&j. They don't even realize teh difference. :D
    Let me know what you think of the almond butter. There are different brands that taste better than others. I like Trader Joes brand or Barney Butter brand.
    so exactly 2 weeks in and i weight....exactly what i did 2 weeks ago. :lol:
    actually pretty pleased about that given all the abuse ive done to my body the past 1.5 weeks. :mrgreen:
    so i do hope by next monday and i am still holding steady. then, back on track! i bought a couple of cute new dresses to take me thru the summer, i hope to look even better in them by september, perhaps even need to get them taken in...man, that would be awesome. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

why are my pants loser but the numbers on the scale don't move?

(i know the reason...it just doesn't help my ego)

- Christopher McCandless
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    RKCNDY wrote:

loser pants. :)

I know what you mean....that's why i don't use a scale.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

loser pants. :)

I know what you mean....that's why i don't use a scale.

they ARE 'loser pants' I only have one belt, and sometimes I forget to put it on...so after an hour of wearing said pants, I'm always pulling them up...some I can take off without unbuttoning now....but I'm still 'too big' for the next size down...no need for certain mammalian appendage jokes.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

It should help your ego...big time!
    Muscle doesn't weigh less than fat....a pound is a pound is a pound, no matter what it's made of ;) ....however, muscle takes up less space! So be proud, good on you! While I've slacked the past 1.5 weeks, I still see a lot more muscle definition, granted under the flab :lol: ...than I've had in errr, forever. So I know once I am diligent with eating well and back to exercise, it will pay off, in time.

Congrats on the looser pants. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I Finally have a goal date!!! Mini HS Reunion on Sept 17, 2011!!! That will help me stay focused for sure.

Last night was Eddie Vedder at the Beacon....we ate at a awesome Thai place and unfortunately I had some gluten, I won't EVER make that mistake again. I'm sick of feeling sick and tired! It's time to take control. The show was AWESOME and we stayed at the Beacon Hotel next door, what a treat.

I will have to give myself one more big pass...Sunday night is my anniversary, my hubby has arranged for us to eat in the private gazebo at our favorite restaurant. They do a 5 course meal complete with wine pairings. Mouth is watering already!

Friday I'm jumping back on the exercise, it's time.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Here is my version of a "healthy" brownie.

1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
    3 large eggs
    1/3 cup melted butter, more for the baking dish (I use ghee since it's dairy and casein free)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
    1/2 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can use regular chips but the nutrition count will go up)
    1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts ( I don't use nuts in food)

Method
    Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.
    Nutrition
    Per serving (1 brownie/about 2oz/60g-wt.): 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 17g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 4g protein

And don't let the black beans stop you....it's freaking delicious.

Hope you enjoy. :D
    I will try this. Thank you! But I must admit...the black beans freak me out a bit :lol:

They freaked me out for a bit too....but once you try them you'll be hooked. I make a pan every two days for me and my boys. :mrgreen:
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Thanks for the link D2D! I'll join this diet thread since I just started again....Nice to see I'm not alone!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Thanks for the link D2D! I'll join this diet thread since I just started again....Nice to see I'm not alone!

Yay!

Back up a half pound. Still not too shabby given my past week and a half. I've had almost a full bottle of wine today and did I mention, a bagel? Yea...... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Lizardjam wrote:

Yay!

Back up a half pound. Still not too shabby given my past week and a half. I've had almost a full bottle of wine today and did I mention, a bagel? Yea...... :mrgreen:

Hmmmm bagel...that sounds so good!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

Yay!

Hmmmm bagel...that sounds so good!

And we just had home made pizza bagels for dinner.... :oops:
    :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm happy to say that my son was asking about how I was doing on my diet and exercise plan today and I told him I felt it was going well.

What he really wanted to know was how he could do it too. (!!) I explained to him how to figure out how many calories he needed from his weight and how to subtract 500 a day to lose a pound a week. He said he thought he wanted to try it. :shock:

I've been hoping I'd inspire him and he got the idea all on his own. :P

I feel this idea of supportive group dieting is fantastic. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&