the 2011 mid-year diet resolution thread

Comments

• This thread got buried FAST!

It's 100 degrees in Chicago today. Just did 25 mins of cardio and then ab work: obliques and crunches with a kettlebell and reverse crunches with the exercise ball. I'm a hot sweaty mess, so hope I don't get called into any meetings :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'm hot and sweaty

paging davidtrios...please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I actually lost a half pound, but really just daily fluctuations i am sure.
    I am not starting in earnest until tomorrow as tonight is a celebration night.
    Still, going to be tough as hubby starts 2 weeks vacation saturday, but got to get started!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• The 81 wrote:
    I'm hot and sweaty

paging davidtrios...please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone

He can't show up until after the shower. Hot and sweaty isn't a good thing.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I am shocked I can do about 10 of these:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trainin ... not-crunch

ooohhhh...I hear copper river salmon calling my name right now.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    I am shocked I can do about 10 of these:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trainin ... not-crunch

ooohhhh...I hear copper river salmon calling my name right now.

I have no coordination, and see this ending horribly for me.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I'm in! I'm having a rough time with my weight for the first time in my life....I've started a new crappy stage in life. :? But that's not a good enough excuse to let the pounds stay.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    ok, this is so ON for me starting today!!!
    after the debauchery of last night's celebration, right where i was january 1st. :twisted:
    however, i am getting serious NOW.
    so, i've got roughly 13 weeks until i leave for canada.
    my goal is 2 pounds/week loss, so lets just round it off to i want to lose 25 pounds by labor day weekend.
    that's my goal.
    2 a week...focus on that.
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Anyone get started?
    Have to say, havent cut out the wine yet but i am sticking with the exercise and eating well.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    no, I did not start yet.
    Maybe monday?
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    maybe......which Monday?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    maybe......which Monday?

Well played my friend, well played... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Well I'm in again, considering that I'm only 2lbs down on my diet start weight, which was a year gone October. Have lost, put on, lost put on, etc etc.

I really need to shift some weight, it's getting harder and harder to fold my belly into my jeans. :(
    I've been working out...my abs hurt, I'm sure they look nice all hidden under this extra 'cushion'....been eating pretty well.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,822
    hit the gym
    use vinegars to add flavor to bland "diet" foods
    pay attention to what you eat, things you think are healthy, like yogurt and fruit, may be high in carbs or sugar
    no atkins-reduce carbs yes, but just say no to unlimited fat intake
    eat more Japanese food!
    and I dont mean spider rolls :mrgreen:
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Monday check-in:

So I started on Weds. and so far so good. I've been getting up and taking a run in the mornings and I've changed my diet. I decided not to do the slow-carb diet again- but just eat a bit less than I have, skip the snacking and the sweets, and increase the veggies.

I will see how this change does over the next couple weeks and if I'm just maintaining instead of loosing, then I will totally give up some carbs for awhile and increase a set or two of exercise.

How is everyone else doing?
  • I made Kale Chips yesterday to alleviate the want for potato chips.

Curly Kale (alot)-cut off stems and shred leaves to chip sized pieces
    Wash and dry really well (about three go rounds in the salad spinner)
    Toss leaves with olive oil, only about 1 tbl for the whole bunch.
    Season with whatever you wish: kosher salt, bbq rub, garlic powder, cayenne pepper
    Bake at 375 for 15 mins
    Crunch away!

I used these to dip into some home made salsa. I crumbled the leftovers to sprinkle over popcorn.
    vduboise wrote:

How is everyone else doing?

I would be doing better if Mr. RK did not love junk food so much!

The weekend was really nice, we bought a big fillet of copper river salmon, had a nice salad with it...and Mr RK had to buy ice cream...and ate a huge bowl of it.

I couldn't stand it...I had ONE scoop....

this morning, I worked out for 20 minutes.

I can wear my old school button fly denim shorts now though! (not that I'd wear those high waist-ed shorts out in public)

- Christopher McCandless
    hello all!
    first check in, down a half pound. so really, doesn't mean much....but still makes me feel good, especially after hubby kicked off his staycation this weekend. it's going to be tough the next 2 weeks that he is off, plan on a few dinners out, and sure...some drinking. hopefully do ok tho. i have been exercising daily since wednesday - well not weekends, only weekdays. every other day do strength exercises and cardio, off days do more cardio only.

one bit of news, groupon had a great offer for a fitness bootcamp right in my neighborhood, really good deal. 6 weeks of bootcamp 3x a week, plus nutrition advice too. thought, this is exactly what i need to kick it up a notch. ive got the time nowadays and the class is a 5 minute walk from home - perfect! - as i don't own a car, so figured it was a sign. i'm not going to start it until july 11th, give time for the 2 weeks off with mr. dream, plus 4th of july....and then 6 weeks of hopefully kicking my ass into shape!

i am still going to do my best to exercise 5 days/week and eat well on my own before i begin the bootcamp, but i am hoping it will definitely rev me up even more and i'll learn some and improve myself a bit faster.

glad all are doing well!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

my friend has been doing a boot camp for about a year. She loves it- she found it harder to work out on her own and nee someone to yell at her and get her motivated.

To some extent- I need that as well.If in a month I'm not doing well, then I'll seek some professional help
    well have not been good the past 2 days, oops. :oops:
    but, it's been enjoyable.

i won't be doing the bootcamp more than the 6 weeks. only signed up for it due to the cheap groupon on deal. i can't afford to go to any classes/gym on a regular basis, and once i am working again, i am sure i won't have the time. however, i figure i will learn a lot that i can do at home, and thus structure my own workouts better/be more challenging, and that's a good thing.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Well, I've started my food diary.

I'm noticing that I snack a lot more than I realized and I unconsciously eat while I'm fixing meals for the family...
    :oops:

I think if I can stop all of that I'll save quite a few calories. :?
    :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    since I've been working out, I gained 2 pounds...I know muscle weighs more than fat...but... :x

up to 15 pike crunches a day! yay!

I saw this the other day: http://www.trxtraining.com/
    anybody have experience with it?

- Christopher McCandless
  • started my diet today, just cutting back foods that i snack on really and have been snacking on for the past couple of months while school was tough with exams and whatnot.
    but now it's over, i'm starting up my exercise routine and controlling my diet. less carbs because all i do is eat them :? more protein and veg, steamed stuff. also, cutting coffee out too.
    started the 30 day shred work out today, exhausting but wasn't as bad as it could have been, considering that i haven't done any exercise for a couple of months :?

love this thread, it's keeping me motivated. and will continue to do so as I try and keep up with all these promises i've made myself.
    wish you all the best of luck as well :thumbup:
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Can I jump in on this? I certainly need some serious motivation for these last 5 flippin pounds that just refuse to leave me! i started a program in Feb. this year and have done very well. I lost 15 pounds and was eating so well!

Now I have these last 5 pounds hanging around and it's not because I hit a plateau or anything. I just got lazy and sloppy! Would love to be at my best for our Alpine outing and get this goal reached! Once I get rid of the weight my challenge will be to maintain. Obviously I have a problem with sweets and sugar. I just need to find my limits.

starting back on track today with eggs for breakfast. :D
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I've been eating well, I do find the cleaner I eat, the worse I feel when I eat any junk. I have had stomach issues my entire life, I can't do wheat, and now I'm having trouble with dairy and nuts. I feel best if I stick with meat, fish, veggies, eggs and small amounts of fruits. My oldest son has now found that he is taking after me...he isn't happy about it. The last few weeks he's been to 2 doctors, had all kinds of tests and trying every medication on the market with little relief. He will have to find what foods work for him, what ones give him problems, it's trial and error, right now....he wants to eat what HE wants to eat....he will learn or be miserable. His biggest problem eating my way is that he loses too much weight. He is 6'2 and super skinny, with a high metabolism.

I missed my hikes the last two days due to getting home from work way too late. All my sons are home, so cooking dinner has been a huge job. Trying to enjoy the moments, this may be the final two weeks that all of my sons live under the same roof. :( My oldest son is leaving soon for his summer job.

Get out there everyone!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I saw this the other day: http://www.trxtraining.com/
    anybody have experience with it?

I've done something similar when I did Pilates. They called it ActivCore. Its supposed to build up your muscles faster with less reps. Its hard, but it does work.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It feels good to get back to exercising. My mom was here last week and her visit got in the way of my schedule. ;):D

I actually look forward to exercising now because it's all done outside. I ride seven miles and then come home and float in the pool. It's beautiful! 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Hope you all don't mind that I jump in here. I made a lifestyle change and lost 24 lbs since Easter Monday. Let me tell you...I feel amazing.

Here's somethign I do to curve that ice cream crave.

Freeze some browning bananas overnight. put them in a food processor with some almond milk mix in berries or whatever your liking and voila! Banana ice cream!

I now purposely buy bananas to go bad. And my kids love this. They don't know the difference that it's not real ice cream. And it's healthy and dairy free adn gluten free!