the 2011 mid-year diet resolution thread

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Today is one of those days that I feel hungry all day. :shock: I had to eat something to take an antibiotic, so I ate some greek yogurt and wheat germ for breakfast..normally, I don't eat until around 1. It seems that when I eat breakfast, I'm hungrier all day than when I don't. :?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Well I got weighed today and had put on 1/4 pound. I think it was as a result of last weekends wedding, plus my cave in last night at the cinema resulting in chocolate consumption. Still have been pretty good most of the week so hoping for some loss next week.

Trying to stay positive.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    My daily meals now (as of April)...

Breakfast
    Two hard boiled eggs
    Low fat vanilla yogurt with granola
    Glass of OJ
    Cup of coffee with a little cream and natural sugar

Lunch
    Deli sandwich on 9-grain wheat (usually tuna, or chicken salad, or turkey) with cheese.
    Bag of baked lays (plain)
    Bottle of diet Coke

Dinner
    Lately it's been a grilled chicken breast with cooked vegetables. Or, a Subway sandwich, or chicken teriyaki. Or, any other healthy-ish, portion appropriate meal.

What I used to eat....

Breakfast
    Bacon, fried egg, cheddar cheese on a toasted bagel...every morning
    Quad venti vanilla latte
    Glass of OJ

Lunch
    Bacon cheese burger with deep fried french fries or tater tots.
    Or, deep fried chicken strips (BBQ sauce) and french fries or tots.

Dinner
    Fast food!! Loved them Quarter pounders, large size, with a 6 or 10 piece mcnuggets and dipping sauce.

So, what I do now is just eat better than I used to. I do not count calories, I just have to eat better than I used to, and again, lots of cardio five days a week.

I will weigh in tonight after my workout. I will post the results tonight.
    I weighed in tonight at 223.4 lbs. That is 45 lbs LOST since I started the first week of April!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Well done!

Week 2 - knew I hadn't been great this week ... there had been ice cream, crisps, cheese ... but 1lb lost so 5lbs over all.

Next couple of weeks the aim is to not put the 5lb back on :lol: have a few days visiting family then PJ20 trip for a week so won't really be watching what I eat :P
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    chime wrote:
    So 1 week since I decided I needed to start eating healthier and snacking less. Haven't cut everything out. Anyway I'm minus 4lbs. Figure first week bigger loss and then things will get much harder. Only aim is not to gain and with no time frame to lose about another 10lbs!

I'm guessing the PJ20 week will but a spanner in the works but hopefully not to much.
    But you are so slim already :)
    Anyways, we should all strive to eat healthier! Great job on the 4lbs! Keep it up! :D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'm starting south beach today! I need that kick!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    How's that going? What is the South Beach diet? I know President Clinton did it after is heart attack./
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    How's that going? What is the South Beach diet? I know President Clinton did it after is heart attack./

After being on it since weds, i'm down 3lbs! To sum it up, it's pretty much nearly eliminating processed sugars, and simple carbs. The first two weeks, you can have no sugar, or carbs. You're supposed to have protein and at least 1-2 cups of veggies with each meal as well. You can have limited low-fat dairy, beans and ALMOST any veggie(no carrots or corn, as they have too much natural sugar and can spike cravings). After the first two weeks(phase 1) you start re-introducing carbs and sugar(natural sugar). You have 1 carb, and 1 fruit the first day 2 and 2 the next day...and so on only up to 3 carbs and 3 fruits per day. That's the way you eat in phase 2, because you're still losing weight. You stay in "phase 2" until you've lost as much as you need to. Pretty much 2-3lbs per week, maybe more if you exercise. Phase 3 is basically the rest of your life. It's the limitations of phase 2 with the occasional sweet. Though, they have lots of desserts for all phases in the plan. I find it the least restrictive, I'm never hungry, and the last time I was on it, I lost 20lbs, and my husband, then boyfriend lost 30. We kept it off for nearly a year....then we got married and all hell broke loose diet wise. So we're doing it again.

I say least restrictive because you basically eat whatever you want on the list(each phase has a list of restricted and allowed foods, it's not as bad as it sounds) and as long as you get a good amount of veggies(i also get a ton of beans because I'm not that big on veggies) you lose weight.

Before we did south beach, whenever I would get hungry, and not eat, I would feel like I was going to vomit. Seriously vomit. In that first two weeks of south beach, where we can have no sugar and no carbs? It was the worst vomit feeling when i was hungry ever. But then once in phase 2 I never got the feeling again. It seems all the processed sugar and carbs were causing it. I could be starving on phase 2(my own fault, you know how it goes, busy no time to eat) and I wouldn't get the vomit feeling. I had that feeling all my life and doing south beach took it away. I love this way of eating.

Though, you have to be realistic. In phase 1 it's not all meat crazy. You have to use butter substitutes for anything you want to cook butter in(like eggs!). You can't have ketchup because it's all sugar, but they do sell low to no sugar kinds. You can't have regular bacon or sausage, just the turkey varieties. You can't have hot dogs, or hot links(which i love!). But you can have 96% fat free hot dogs, and all kinds of lean beef! You can have chicken, and lamb, and pork, and turkey, you just have to watch the fat. The books have a ton of recipes and there are all kinds of websites with recipes. You can use sugar substitutes(I use truvia). And you can eat sugar free or no sugar added popsicles! Or a square of dark chocolate on phase 1. You really do come to savor it!

Google 3 fat chicks on a diet. They have a whole south beach forum. The whole site is about weight loss. It's a good resource for recipes.

Sorry for the long post for those who didn't want to know!! :D

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    same old, same old....right where i have been. 1 pound down. so basically, no change at all. obviously i have to make bigger changes for progress, and so it goes. i am still keeping up with my bootcamp and i LOVE it, going to keep it up the next 3 months. going to try to improve in other ways, but let's face it, canada looms. once that is past, i need to get serious about a LOT of things, so hopefully...progress!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

220.2 lbs tonight. 48 lbs total lost...
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I dropped another 2 pounds and another half inch off my waist...making it 24.6 pounds in total and got my waist down to 25 inches. My clothes are literally hanging off of me. I had been buying some summer clothes along the way, but I don't know what I'm gonna do about fall. I might really have to go to PJ20 nekkid :shock: It will be fun to shop...I just need a trust fund to be able to do it :lol: I've rediscovered ebay which has helped since they have a lot of anthro clothes on there from past seasons.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    Comebackgirl and Animal, wow!! That's such great progress!

I dropped another 2 pounds and another half inch off my waist...making it 24.6 pounds in total and got my waist down to 25 inches. My clothes are literally hanging off of me. I had been buying some summer clothes along the way, but I don't know what I'm gonna do about fall. I might really have to go to PJ20 nekkid :shock: It will be fun to shop...I just need a trust fund to be able to do it :lol: I've rediscovered ebay which has helped since they have a lot of anthro clothes on there from past seasons.

fantastic!
    if you don't mind, in what timeframe?
    i did 25 in about 4 months last year but for whatever reason this year, 8 months in and i am down a whopping......2 pounds. :? :o:lol: so yea, gotta work on that. :P
    i've got canada looming next week - yay! - so i am not going to beat myself up over it all. sorry cananda, i had hoped to be 25 pounds lighter by now :mrgreen: ....you'll just have to accept a chubby dreamer. ;) when i get home, seriousness prevails! and for many reasons, a big hiatus on alcohol. on a happier note tho, i DO see/feel major changes in the muscle department due to my bootcamp class. signed up for 3 more months, and i am taking notes of workouts for the future...b/c hell yea...i want to feel GREAT in my 40s and beyond!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Congrats to everyone for at least trying to get healthier and lose some weight and to those that have been successful! It definitely takes effort and isn't easy, so kudos! I've definitely started, several times...haha, but haven't been successful due to a family death which meant extreme travel, etc. I haven't given up though, and I'm not "obese" so it's more of a "comfort" issue than health, as I'm old enough I don't care about looks per se. It's just getting back in to eating better and exercising more, which I truly intend to do after PJ20. It's hard to focus on yourself when you're focused on others, even if it is what is best for everyone! This thread is an inspiration though and keep up the good work! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
    holy plateau!
    august has been awful!

luckily haven't gained...but haven't lost either! and of course haven't eaten all that healthy.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,683
    Well I had a little relaspe this past weekend, put 5 pounds of the 13 I had lost back on after my golf weekend getaway :cry: Too much beer, greasy burgers, munchies, that sort of thing. Man that kinda of sucked. Worst part is I knew I was gonna gain soemthing. Drunk for 2 days straight is not a great way to try and keep the weight off :(
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I've lost a total of 8 pounds. That will have to be enough for now because this weekend is coming regardless. :lol: At least it's something; a good start.

fantastic!
    i did 25 in about 4 months last year but for whatever reason this year, 8 months in and i am down a whopping......2 pounds. :? :o:lol: so yea, gotta work on that. :P
    i've got canada looming next week - yay! - so i am not going to beat myself up over it all. sorry cananda, i had hoped to be 25 pounds lighter by now :mrgreen: ....you'll just have to accept a chubby dreamer. ;) when i get home, seriousness prevails! and for many reasons, a big hiatus on alcohol. on a happier note tho, i DO see/feel major changes in the muscle department due to my bootcamp class. signed up for 3 more months, and i am taking notes of workouts for the future...b/c hell yea...i want to feel GREAT in my 40s and beyond!

just bumping up my Q. :)

and yes, how sad...me as the thread-starter and i've made the least progress. :lol:
    i get back from canada it is so ON!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

fantastic!

and yes, how sad...me as the thread-starter and i've made the least progress. :lol:

I'm right there with you. Lost 5lbs last week(my first week back on sb) but went off plan this weekend....didn't want to but just gave in. So I'm up 2. A total of only 3lbs lost. Grrrrrrr

Lizardjam wrote:

I'm right there with you. Lost 5lbs last week(my first week back on sb) but went off plan this weekend....didn't want to but just gave in. So I'm up 2. A total of only 3lbs lost. Grrrrrrr

awwww, sympathy pounds. thanks. ;)
    hahahaha.

i've got a little less than 3 months before my birthday. don't think i can reach my ultimate goal weight by then - which was my original plan, but given how next to no progress just yet, yea........BUT......i think i can make a serious dent. i'm gonna, damnnit! right when i get back from canada!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

(seriously, i am going to try and be mindful in canada, but yea....going on a long needed/overdue vacay, i am not beating myself up over it either)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

awwww, sympathy pounds. thanks. ;)
    hahahaha.

i've got a little less than 3 months before my birthday. don't think i can reach my ultimate goal weight by then - which was my original plan, but given how next to no progress just yet, yea........BUT......i think i can make a serious dent. i'm gonna, damnnit! right when i get back from canada!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

(seriously, i am going to try and be mindful in canada, but yea....going on a long needed/overdue vacay, i am not beating myself up over it either)

Some people can look at something, like a brownie, and just tell themselves they like being skinny or healthy more than eating that particular food. I don't think that always works for me. I just want the damn brownie!

Heh I thought of that when you said you'd be mindful. Sometimes(more often than not) in that moment, I'm likely to say F'it. I want the damn food.

Which is why I gained 20lbs in the 5 months I suppose. :oops:

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

fantastic!

Sorry! Semester is about to start and a lot of the students are back...seriously detracting from my pit and FB time :evil: :lol:

I started early May, so it was about 4 months. Hoping I can maintain over PJ20 weekend :?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Well looks like I've gotta join this thread. My best friend is getting married in March and asked me to be her Maid of Honor, which is great and I'm totally excited about it! Problem is that the dresses are extremely form fitting..eek! While I'm happy with the way that I look and do exercise fairly regularly, I still want to rock that dress and not have to be totally self conscious all day. Probably my biggest culprit is alcohol, so I'm going to have to really ease up on that until March (excluding this weekend of course!). It's going to be tough to cut out all the crap food on Sundays during football too, so I'll probably check in here every now and again for some motivation! Good luck to everyone!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Well looks like I've gotta join this thread. My best friend is getting married in March and asked me to be her Maid of Honor, which is great and I'm totally excited about it! Problem is that the dresses are extremely form fitting..eek! While I'm happy with the way that I look and do exercise fairly regularly, I still want to rock that dress and not have to be totally self conscious all day. Probably my biggest culprit is alcohol, so I'm going to have to really ease up on that until March (excluding this weekend of course!). It's going to be tough to cut out all the crap food on Sundays during football too, so I'll probably check in here every now and again for some motivation! Good luck to everyone!
    oh man my best friend is getting hitched too i don't wanna be the fat M.O.H. so i really gotta start stepping it up ! 3 weeks til pearl jam too so i really gotta work hard
    Ugh. I took a flying leap off the wagon. I went to wienerschnitzel and got a dipped cone, chili fries, and a corn dog. When we go off plan, BOY do we go off plan. The odd thing? I went down .6 of a lb this morning. Though, I know sometimes those pounds take a couple days to catch up. I am going to be super vigilant today!

• m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    m0jorisen wrote:
    i am down 24 lbs on The 17 day diet

broke down into four 17 day cycles , i am currently on the Activate cycle

Accelerate—the rapid weight loss portion that helps flush sugar and fat storage from your system In this initial phase you dramatically reduce your intake of carbohydrates to promote fat burning, cleansing and rapid weight loss.

Activate—the metabolic restart portion with alternating low and high calorie days to help shed body fat This 17 Day Diet phase involves carbohydrate cycling, which has the purpose of resetting your metabolism to stimulate fat burning and prevent plateaus.

Achieve—this phase is about learning to control portions and introducing new fitness routines

Arrive—a combination of the first three cycles to keep good habits up for good. On weekends, enjoy your favorite foods!

During all of the four phases of the 17 day Diet there is an emphasis on clean eating and the avoidance of sugar and all processed foods.

and a Hr of Cardio a day along with some high rep weight training

just completed my 3rd 17day cycle and i am down 35lbs , ready for the weekend!!
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • wow, congrats!

my progress has been next to nil this year, i guess i have not been as determined/focused as i thought. haha. obviously. so, i am forgiving myself and moving on. have (hopefully) canada on the horizon next week, and when i get home, i WILL get serious. i mean, my life feels so outta control as of late, i thought this is something i CAN control....so i will!

that said, i am down 2.5 pounds. :mrgreen: not much, but it's sumthin'! i've also lost about half inch off bust, 1.5 inches off hips, half inch off waist....so the bootcamp must be paying off. as i've said, i can see and feel differences in my muscles, just need them to be a bit more pronounced. ;)....so, new goal....my birthday! not as ambitious as i had originally wanted - wanted to be my ultimate, skinny goal by then, but.....i am truly going to work towards being 24 pounds lighter than i am today. still ambitious - 2 pounds a week - but if i stay focused, doable. granted, i have an epic FAIL of accomplishing that very goal from june to now, which was a similar timeframe/goal set :lol: but c'est la vie....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    haffajappa wrote:
    oh man my best friend is getting hitched too i don't wanna be the fat M.O.H. so i really gotta start stepping it up ! 3 weeks til pearl jam too so i really gotta work hard

Haha, I hear ya! When is her wedding? There's a bridal bootcamp at my gym, I'm thinking about getting into it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Haha, I hear ya! When is her wedding? There's a bridal bootcamp at my gym, I'm thinking about getting into it!

Damn! Where was that when I got married?? I've been sorta good...down 5lbs!