Options

The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    g under p wrote:
    locked wrote:
    heard a rumor the band may put "Jacobs Ladder" back on the setlist for this tour!

What other gems should they bust out?

Been a few tours since they dropped "Xanadu"..

and I never got a chance to see them when they brought back "Bytor" couple of tours back....

Would love to see full version of "Anthem" too..!

By-Tor was pretty cool. Obviously a lot different now than back then, but still a good sounding, fun, live song. I'd love to see Jacob's Ladder. One song I've always wanted to hear live is Superconductor.

Of the 46 times I've seen the band the song I'd like for them to bring back is....*Hit Me Baby*....R30 INTRO....A Passage To Bangkok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67q4hqsx050 I hope they play Bangkok..Nah they NEVER play Bangkok. :D

Beneath,Between and Behind This also would be nice.
    Peace
    I'd vote for Beneath, Between, & Behind too. It's awesome......between the noble bird....
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    1929059-Rush-Clockwork-Angels-617.jpg

I don't know if anyone noticed this but I was staring at the album cover yesterday and the time on the clock is 9:12 - or in military time, 21:12.

That's pretty kool. 8-)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    If anyone hasn't purchased the new album yet, TODAY is the day to do it! Amazon.com has the mp3 album & digital booklet for the low price of $0.99 today only!
  • Options
    Thanks, i picked up Headlong Flight and The Garden

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    MT236122MT236122 Pittsburgh Posts: 132
    Rush is always a great band to see live. My next show is in September in Pittsburgh. Would highly recommend getting out there to catch the show.
    Riding high amongst the waves
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    One of my favorites from the Grace Under Pressure Tour

The Weapon

Lyrics...

We've got nothing to fear...but fear itself?
    Not pain, not failure, not fatal tragedy?
    Not the faulty units in this mad machinery?
    Not the broken contacts in emotional chemistry?

With an iron fist in a velvet glove
    We are sheltered under the gun
    In the glory game on the power train
    Thy kingdom's will be done

And the things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us...

He's not afraid of your judgment
    He knows of horrors worse than your Hell
    He's a little bit afraid of dying
    But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

And the things that he fears are a weapon to be held against him...

Can any part of life be larger than life?
    Even love must be limited by time
    And those who push us down that they might climb
    Is any killer worth more than his crime?

Like a steely blade in a silken sheath
    We don't see what they're made of
    They shout about love, but when push comes to shove
    They live for the things they're afraid of

And the knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them...

I'll catch them Nov 3 Tampa, FLORIDA

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    g under p wrote:
    One of my favorites from the Grace Under Pressure Tour

The Weapon

One of my favorites. Love Neil's drums on it, and the lead up in the jam section.

Definitely not a song to listen to in 1 1/2 D though 8-)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    MT236122 wrote:
    Rush is always a great band to see live. My next show is in September in Pittsburgh. Would highly recommend getting out there to catch the show.

Yup..very tight live!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    MT236122 wrote:

I thought about going to that one, but I wanted to be outdoors, so Bristow it is.
  • Options
    MT236122 wrote:

I thought about going to that one, but I wanted to be outdoors, so Bristow it is.

I've seen RUSH there maybe 8 times, love that venue. I think it's called Jiffy Lube Amphitheatre or something like that.

Neil likes that northern Virginia area as he likes to ride his motorcycle to that venue sometimes through the Shenendoah Mountains it's beautiful up there in the fall. If I was still living in MD I would be there and in Pittsburgh but I'll have to settle for Tampa on this first leg. hopefully they'll come furgther south to WPBeach just up the street or in Sunrise FL.

Peace

• Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    Tonight in Manchester, NH 8-)
  • Options
    Can't F***ING wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Lots of whining over this new setlist amongst RUSH fans but I could care less just happy to be seeing the band ONE MORE TIME!

va.png

Peace

344wkqr.jpg

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Lots of whining over this new setlist amongst RUSH fans but I could care less just happy to be seeing the band ONE MORE TIME!

The setlist ruled...for a diehard. Which I am. As the first set unfolded I had to continually pick my jaw up from the floor.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    g under p wrote:

The setlist ruled...for a diehard. Which I am. As the first set unfolded I had to continually pick my jaw up from the floor.

:D Nice very nice and i STILL have not seen the setlist nor do I want to....I'm holding. Oh that's what's happening the hardcore fans for the most part are happy of which i'll be. however the casual fans who may bring his son or a friend may have trouble enjoying this setlist. Like said in the Rush forum the BAND creates this kind of setllst for themselves not for the fans. The challenge come trying to do what's best for the band while giving a little something something to the newbies who may not be familiar with the obscure.
    Here's an exchange between a couple Rush fans....
    Regarding the setlist, it's obvious the band is trying to please the hard core fans this time around.
    Do you really think Geddy, Alex, and Neil were sitting around discussing the setlist saying "let's put together a setlist that will make the hardcore fans happy. Let's do this tour for them."

Rush absolutely appreciates their fanatical following, but they have never and won't ever record an album or plan a setlist based on what we want.

This setlist is for them. This is the setlist Rush wants to play. This is the setlist that will motivate them every night and get them excited to get out on stage. The fact that will please some of the hardcore fans is nice but did not motivate them. The reality is that it's more Geddy's setlist that works for him vocally. He's made no secret about Power Windows being one of his favorite albums.

Jimmy Chamberlain put it very well in the documentary. "Brand Loyalty" Just like NASCAR fans. Rush fans are going nowhere. They could play all of Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows and they'd still sell a reliable number of tickets. This go around, Rush said: "We're sick of Limelight, CTTH, Red Barchetta, Freewill, etc" We're throwing in songs we want to play. The fans are going nowhere.

And that's ok. Rush has earned it. Think about how much this band has toured the last 10 years (in their 50's) and how many times they have played Tom Sawyer, Limelight, 2112, Spirit of Radio, etc. They've earned the right to do some very deep cuts for themselves.

I don't think the OP is trolling. He has every right to be disappointed if he took his kids to see them for the first time hoping to see all the staples. This is the downside. Rush is going to get hit hard by a lot of the casual fans with expectations to see a certain few songs that they wont get. Rush has to expect a certain amount of this.

Personally, I'm concerned about quiet less energetic audiences based on the set. Rush always did a good job of mixing in a hit around the obscure songs. This time there is no hit to mix in, so it might not be as much fun watching the crowd get into all the known songs.

I look at it like this:I'd call myself a casual fan of Metallica. If I went to see them, and they played all of their new album, plus a bunch of stuff off Reload, a couple off St. Anger, and a couple hits for the encore, I'd be a little pissed too. I can understand the gripe

rush2011-baltimore-sm.jpg

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Rush absolutely appreciates their fanatical following, but they have never and won't ever record an album or plan a setlist based on what we want.

This setlist is for them. This is the setlist Rush wants to play. This is the setlist that will motivate them every night and get them excited to get out on stage. The fact that will please some of the hardcore fans is nice but did not motivate them. The reality is that it's more Geddy's setlist that works for him vocally. He's made no secret about Power Windows being one of his favorite albums.

There is a reason I ever so slightly disagree with part of this: that it was entirely for them. Based on things they have said about certain eras and certain songs/etc, I was actually surprised the 1st set unfolded as it did. It really did seem like a nod to the hardcore fans (and I really hope you get to see set A instead of set B).

You'll see.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Man, they played freaking Moving Pictures in order in its entirety last tour -- you tellin' me that wasn't for me?!?! But whoa, that is an esoteric set list.... hmmm.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    What's funny is that it doesn't have the usual rock documentary cliches of drugs, sex, horrible infighting, break-ups, reunions . . .

"We're still young. Give us time [laughs]" -Geddy Lee 2011

Early this morning some channel had a rockumentory on Tommy Lee of Motley Crue and they had ALL those cliches. All the ups and downs, near overdoses, infighting, firings etc and yes 2.gif is still young, sort of. 8-)

Peace

• Options
    I loved the show!!! I was at Bristow so I saw setlist B and was not disappointed one bit.

I wont spoil it for g under p or anyone else here who hasn't seen them yet (after all, they've only played 4 shows with the 5th date for tonight). The only thing I will say is that the Clockwork Angels songs translate extremely well live.
    Man, it's gonna be a looooong 7 weeks til Tampa, but you're in for a treat! Getcha :corn: ready!!
  • Options
    I loved the show!!! I was at Bristow so I saw setlist B and was not disappointed one bit.

I wont spoil it for g under p or anyone else here who hasn't seen them yet (after all, they've only played 4 shows with the 5th date for tonight). The only thing I will say is that the Clockwork Angels songs translate extremely well live.
    Man, it's gonna be a looooong 7 weeks til Tampa, but you're in for a treat! Getcha :corn: ready!!

Bristow used to be my home ground living in New Carrollton MD...I saw the boys at Jiffy Lube/Nissan Pavillion 8= times. I love that venue except when it rains and back in the day was THE WORST place to leave. After one show 17 years ago or so it took me 3+ hours to leave i was so mad I almost drove through a couple cars in front of me.

As for Tampa it will be a a weekend visit to the show and to Busch Gardens. It's absolutely unreal the amount of bitching about the setlist and near sellouts for the shows so far.

BTW was the Bristow show sold out?

peace

• Options
    Oh it's still a bitch to get in and out of there! I don't go there very often for that exact reason. We stopped and visited some friends in Reston earlier in the day, left their place at 6pm, got near the venue around 6:30 and didn't park the car until 7:30! It wasn't bad leaving because we bolted out of there with about a minute left in the last song. But I feel you on the 3 hour wait. Back in '03 when I saw PJ there, it took us about 2 hours to get out.

I don't think it was even close to selling out. The pavilion was completely full, but there were literally only about 500 people in the lawn. And aside from the lower sections of the pavilion, the crowd was really mundane. Most people sat for the entire show. I was pretty disappointed in them (the crowd), but definitely not the band or their performance.
  • Options
    Oh it's still a bitch to get in and out of there! I don't go there very often for that exact reason. We stopped and visited some friends in Reston earlier in the day, left their place at 6pm, got near the venue around 6:30 and didn't park the car until 7:30! It wasn't bad leaving because we bolted out of there with about a minute left in the last song. But I feel you on the 3 hour wait. Back in '03 when I saw PJ there, it took us about 2 hours to get out.

I don't think it was even close to selling out. The pavilion was completely full, but there were literally only about 500 people in the lawn. And aside from the lower sections of the pavilion, the crowd was really mundane. Most people sat for the entire show. I was pretty disappointed in them (the crowd), but definitely not the band or their performance.

I'm not surprised it did not sellout in that the economy has many people placing their priorities elsewhere. Even I will go to concerts such as Roger Waters but I won't buy a t-shirt but I will step up for 2.gif and that's about it. Those shirts and merchandise can get expensive almost as much as the tickets. Glad to hear you enjoyed the show as I slowly build up my enthuisiam for the show....they should be in fine rhythm by the time my show comes to Tampa.

Peace

PS....as the tour continues I believe momentum will build up and tickets sales and sellouts should increase. Oh one more thing they will be more fans sitting on their toukas as in many will not be familiar with the setlist, many of the casual fans are only used to radio play hits.

• Options
    428.f.jpg

41iwjq8DplL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone here notice the similarity between these albums??

Peace

• Options
    Whoa!! How have I not made that connection yet?? Nice work.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm really liking this song from Rush.... :)

http://youtu.be/651ZBkZNAyM
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    A nice recording of a full concert of 2.gif in front of 3000 fans in Offenbach, Germany.

RUSH - Black Forest 1979

Hey they "never" play Passage To Bangkok. :D

Peace

• Options
    I'm caught doing this from time to time in my truck.....just without the stick toss. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5ThWzuKyqU

GeddyAlexTime4-1.jpg

Peace

• Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    RUSH finally nominated to the RnR hall of fame...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    mikalina wrote:
    RUSH finally nominated to the RnR hall of fame...

Nominated. Not inducted.