Options

The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Guys, I just saw this on Youtube I think you'll all get a kick out of it- the guy who does Geddy's voice is perfect hahaha.

P.S: It was kind of low volume-wise on my computer it might be on yours too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE264_A0ix0

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Can the OP change the title of the thread and drop DESPISE?
    I mean who in their right mind would despise RUSH?
    And even if they did , let them make their own f@@king thread!

THE MIGHTY RUSH RULES!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Can the OP change the title of the thread and drop DESPISE?
    I mean who in their right mind would despise RUSH?
    And even if they did , let them make their own f@@king thread!

THE MIGHTY RUSH RULES!

I could but I wanted to invite those who choose to dislike the band to also voice their opinion. Some of my best friends can't stand the band mainly for Geddy's voice....oddly that was the one thing that drew me to the band in the mid 70's. I didn't know whether they could really play instruments or not but I sure liked that lead singers screams. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    g under p wrote:

I could but I wanted to invite those who choose to dislike the band to also voice their opinion. Some of my best friends can't stand the band mainly for Geddy's voice....oddly that was the one thing that drew me to the band in the mid 70's. I didn't know whether they could really play instruments or not but I sure liked that lead singers screams. :D

Peace

saw them a couple of nights ago. they absolutely kicked ass! they took a chance by playing nearly a whole set of the new album, but it sounded great. they are such incredible musicians....neil is probably the best rock drummer in the world.....but, no, I have never loved geddy's voice.

sooooooooooo much different from a PJ show. it wouldn't bother me too much if PJ adopted some of rush's video technology ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    They need to put Jacobs Ladder back in the setlist.
    That's all I ask..

It's time...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    locked wrote:
    They need to put Jacobs Ladder back in the setlist.
    That's all I ask..

It's time...

Signed.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Rush 12 days after Neil's first gig with the band. Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland during WMMS broadcast

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiOJ2fiqNM
    Fifth Order of Angels Full Album
    Published on Nov 29, 2012

[aka ABC1974] Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland Ohio during live broadcast on FM radio station WMMS.

1) Finding My Way
    2) The Best I Can
    3) Need Some Love
    4) In the End
    5) Fancy Dancer
    6) In the Mood
    7) Bad Boy
    8) Here Again
    9) Working Man
    11) What You're Doing
    12) Garden Road
    Rush at their early 70's hard bluesy rock, high energy finest! So good!
    Neil joined Rush 7/29/74 (Geddy's 21st birthday) and his first gig with Rush was on 8/14/74. FACT. So this gig was exactly 4 weeks after joining and 12 days after his first gig with the band. It was also 1 day before Alex turned 21. Neil had a lot to prove here. Geddy and Alex were just getting to know him. Soon after seeing him read constantly on tour, they would ask him to write lyrics for the band and the rest, as they say, is history...

Peace

• Options
    While listening to that first show I happened to click on this video....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=gHYALx-oBd4

I only found out after Geddy announces what city they were playing that that show was my first RUSH show of now 49. The Cap Centre MD is now LONG gone but the memories remain...like the knucklehead guy who grabbed my GUP tshirt. I ran him down gave him a few shots but in the scuffle my shirt was torn to shreds.

Awesome show and I gather why that album is still in my top 5 RUSH albums.

Peace

• Options
    Hard to believe a drummer the likes of Rick Allen of Def Leppard has a net worth twice that of Neil Peart....

http://www.metalinjection.net/gossip/da ... net-worths

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Hard to believe a drummer the likes of Rick Allen of Def Leppard has a net worth twice that of Neil Peart....

Peace

They had a few albums that sold many millions of copies.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Yes I know that I'm one of those fans who bought albums and attended many of their shows. However, when was the last album they released that sold with any significant numbers? Rick is cool saw him play when he had both arms and after with not much difference.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Rush 12 days after Neil's first gig with the band. Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland during WMMS broadcast

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiOJ2fiqNM
    Fifth Order of Angels Full Album
    Published on Nov 29, 2012

[aka ABC1974] Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland Ohio during live broadcast on FM radio station WMMS.

1) Finding My Way
    2) The Best I Can
    3) Need Some Love
    4) In the End
    5) Fancy Dancer
    6) In the Mood
    7) Bad Boy
    8) Here Again
    9) Working Man
    11) What You're Doing
    12) Garden Road
    Rush at their early 70's hard bluesy rock, high energy finest! So good!
    Neil joined Rush 7/29/74 (Geddy's 21st birthday) and his first gig with Rush was on 8/14/74. FACT. So this gig was exactly 4 weeks after joining and 12 days after his first gig with the band. It was also 1 day before Alex turned 21. Neil had a lot to prove here. Geddy and Alex were just getting to know him. Soon after seeing him read constantly on tour, they would ask him to write lyrics for the band and the rest, as they say, is history...

Peace

forgot how bad ass "finding my way" is :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

One more thing as far as I know Rick Allen rarely writes any lyrics for Def Leppard. while Neil does ALL the lyrics for RUSH. I do find it odd with that fact that Alex And Geddy net worth is 28 million each. They must be better investors than Neil. :mrgreen:

Peace

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Just played "The Pass"

What a timeless classic
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Just played "The Pass"

What a timeless classic

Great tune
  • Options
    This is a must have for next year....

http://www.nmrdistribution.com/Scripts/ ... cat=498852

R40 anyone?

Peace

• Options
    Some photos from a couple shows I attended here in Florida...

Orlando...http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/con ... 8.2013.php

Fort Lauderdale...http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/con ... 6.2013.php

This tours DVD will look spectacular and a treat to watch.

Peace

• Options
    Neil Peart speaking on his motorcycle rides in between shows all around the US and the world....

When Its Not Over Its Over

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/con ... 6.2013.php
    Once again I find myself beginning a story at the end. Maybe it’s my new style. Maybe it’s just my age—laying things out according to freshness rather than chronology.
    Here Michael and I are riding into the rainy load-in area behind the arena in Kansas City, before the final show of the Clockwork Angels tour, on A­­­ugust 4, 2013. (Photo by Mac McLear, our lead truck driver since . . . 1977!) Later that day, when I added up my mileages for the tour, I learned that with Michael, Brutus, and occasional guest riders, I had ridden my motorcycle over 28,000 miles between those seventy-two shows.
    As always, completing the final ride was a stirring moment. I swung my leg over the saddle for the last time with a palpable sense of . . . complicated emotions. Something like a sandwich of whole-grain pride and satisfaction, around a thick wedge of weariness, and a side of relief. A phrase I came up with years ago rings ever more true, “When I am riding my motorcycle, I am glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I am glad to be alive.”
    That afternoon I asked bus driver Dave about his mileage for the tour, taking direct routes between the shows. Even discounting the 3,000 miles Brutus and I rode in Europe, with a different bus, my two-wheeled traveler had covered 5,000 miles more than the buses and trucks.
    And oh, the places I had gone . . .

Peace

• Options
    26846_488278165315_736545315_10975511_4505291_n.jpg

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEIL and probably this is the last thing you would want to do today. Oh my bad you are still on tour so bang away!

HappyBirthdayDrums.jpg

Peace

• Options
    Nice Geddy Lee interview in RollingStone\
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20130923
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    forgot to mention....I saw the new RUSH movie at the theater on monday night....good stuff.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    forgot to mention....I saw the new RUSH movie at the theater on monday night....good stuff.

Bummed I couldn't make it out to the local one.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Bummed I couldn't make it out to the local one.

the folks in their 30 year old Rush T's were pretty amusing :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Nice Geddy Lee interview in RollingStone\
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20130923

Very nice interview, I them 4 times on this tour....(3 in FL and One in VA).....simply amazing how they can STILL get it done after all these years. I don't blame Geddy wanting to take a two year break I can wait, gives me more time to go back through various tours and reminisce.

Peace

• Options
    Only song I know and really enjoy is 'Rivendell'.
  • Options
    Mad Mohab wrote:
    Only song I know and really enjoy is 'Rivendell'.

lol
    well played
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Anyone pick up the Garden picture disc at RSD today?
  • Options
    Nope but I'm going to look for it I just love that song.

Peace

• Options

• Options
    NYCPJ said:

The other day, someone was asking me how they are still selling out arenas when a few other bands from the 70s/80s are lucky to be playing hotel bars. I think its because they never tried to conform to any trends and they just make the music they want to make. And, because of that, their fans never left. They are fantastic musicians and are still great in concert (i first caught them in '78)

Here are a few photos from the MSG show the other night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/set ... 472654048/

I partially agree. See the thing is: they totally got caught up in some trends along the way (Late 70's early 80's reggae infusion like The Police, 80's synth, 90's grunge) but they always did it their way. It wasn't selling out or conforming...it was Rush being Rush. They found sounds and styles they liked and they incorporated them along the way. But no matter what trend they delved into, it was always Rush and you could always tell it was Rush.

Rush has always made music for music's sake. That's why they've been around so long when almost every other band has disappeared.