NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    jimed14 wrote:
    Nose-Faced Killa!!!!! Love Marchand.

I really think the B's break through in game 7 and get to Luongo. Amazing they're actually letting him start tomorrow.

He's been gold at home. They have him signed for another decade or so ... they *have* to start him.

If game 7 was in Boston, would have been a different story.

I still say tomorrow night is a 50-50 coin flip.

unfortunately, I agree
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    jimed14 wrote:
    Nose-Faced Killa!!!!! Love Marchand.

I really think the B's break through in game 7 and get to Luongo. Amazing they're actually letting him start tomorrow.

He's been gold at home. They have him signed for another decade or so ... they *have* to start him.

If game 7 was in Boston, would have been a different story.

I still say tomorrow night is a 50-50 coin flip.

Like always, the first goal is huge, and in this situation, it's everything. If Luongo makes a few big saves in the first period, the Bruins I think will start pressing, knowing how hard it has been scoring in that building. If Luongo gets beat early (especially on a borderline goal), he will wilt and the Bruins will taste blood in the water.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    12 of 15 Game 7 Finals Games Won By The Home Team.

Coin Flip My Ass. CANUCKS BABY! (i think?)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I mean, Luongo won a freakin' Olympic Gold medal for Canada, on the very same sheet of ice they are playing on tomorrow night. It's not like he doesn't know how to come up big in a one game situation.

But, even he admitted it's mostly mental for him .... probably not the smartest thing to admit.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    jimed14 wrote:
    I mean, Luongo won a freakin' Olympic Gold medal for Canada, on the very same sheet of ice they are playing on tomorrow night. It's not like he doesn't know how to come up big in a one game situation.

But, even he admitted it's mostly mental for him .... probably not the smartest thing to admit.

it is ... he just lets in really bad goals ... at the worst times ...
    jimed14 wrote:

Someone today bought up the Olympic comparison... Last year, he won the gold, but the Michigan-born goaltender at the other end of the ice got all of the glory and was named tournament MVP... This year, he could win game #7 and the Cup, and the goaltender at the Michigan-born goaltender at the other end of the ice will get all of the glory and and probably win the Conn Smythe.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    jimed14 wrote:

Someone today bought up the Olympic comparison... Last year, he won the gold, but the Michigan-born goaltender at the other end of the ice got all of the glory and was named tournament MVP... This year, he could win game #7 and the Cup, and the goaltender at the Michigan-born goaltender at the other end of the ice will get all of the glory and and probably win the Conn Smythe.

in this situation, the Conn Smythe and "all its glory" pales in comparison to the legacy of bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver. I hear what your saying, but Luongo will have a gold Medal and A Ring to console him, if he ever wonders what being an MVP of a tournament feels like.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Conversely, I'm quite certain Tim Thomas would gladdly toss the Conn Smythe trophy off the Tobin Bridge if it meant getting a Stanley Cup championship.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

in this situation, the Conn Smythe and "all its glory" pales in comparison to the legacy of bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver. I hear what your saying, but Luongo will have a gold Medal and A Ring to console him, if he ever wonders what being an MVP of a tournament feels like.

I agree, and know that those are the most important thing, but even after all that (if the Canucks win), Luongo still won't get credit or be labeled as a "money goalie".
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    You guys know more about this stuff than I do, as Im an admitted bandwagon fan who hasn't watched more than 10 hockey games in my life before this Bruins run, but I get the feeling Vancouver has everything to lose in this game 7 and the Bruins are going about it with little pressure. I mean, everyone on here and everyone in the national media is saying there's no way the B's can score in Vancouver. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks come out tomorrow looking tense, while Boston plays loose.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    You guys know more about this stuff than I do, as Im an admitted bandwagon fan who hasn't watched more than 10 hockey games in my life before this Bruins run, but I get the feeling Vancouver has everything to lose in this game 7 and the Bruins are going about it with little pressure. I mean, everyone on here and everyone in the national media is saying there's no way the B's can score in Vancouver. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks come out tomorrow looking tense, while Boston plays loose.
    makes sense.
    I wouldn't say the B's have little pressure...they were pretty much expected to come out of the East....but they don't have the same individual pressure, with their personal reputations on the line like Van's 3 top players do.
  • Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276

Pitt was the last team to do it 09 and I think the first since 1971. Should be interesting.
    Pats54 wrote:

Pitt was the last team to do it 09 and I think the first since 1971. Should be interesting.

Yup, and prior to that 1945. History is on the Canucks said, it shouldn't happen for at least 25 more years or so, BUT that being said, look at how many finals went to 7 in that one decade alone. (2000's) It's happening more and more frequently. Also, note the last time a Game 7 went to OT. Loooooong time ago.

Results from the 15 Game 7s in Stanley Cup finals history

Year Result Comment

2009 Pittsburgh 2, DETROIT 1 Talbot scores both Penguins goals
    2006 CAROLINA 3, Edmonton 1 Ward makes great late save on Pisani
    2004 TAMPA BAY 2, Calgary 1 Fedotenko scored both Lightning goals
    2003 NEW JERSEY 3, Anaheim 0 Home team won every game in the series
    2001 COLORADO 3, New Jersey 1 Tanguay had 3 pts.; Bourque gets Cup
    1994 NY RANGERS 3, Vancouver 2 Messier scored game-winner got really lucky. ;)
    1987 EDMONTON 3, Philadelphia 1 Oilers tallied one goal in each period
    1971 Montreal 3, CHICAGO 2 Richard scored game-winner in third
    1965 MONTREAL 4, Chicago 0 All goals in first period; Worsley got SO
    1964 TORONTO 4, Detroit 0 Leafs' 3rd straight Cup; Bower got SO
    1955 DETROIT 3, Montreal 1 Delvecchio scored two, Howe the other
    1954 DETROIT 2, Montreal 1, OT Most recent Game 7 in final to go OT
    1950 DETROIT 4, NY Rangers 3, 2OT First Game 7 in final to go OT
    1945 Toronto 2, DETROIT 1 Pratt's PPG in third broke tie
    1942 TORONTO 3, Detroit 1 Leafs rally from 3-1 down in series

Home team is in CAPITAL letters.
    There is an awesome Slideshow recapping all the Game 7's here:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31210053/ns/sports-nhl/

click the picture to move on to the next. Conn Smythe looks bad ass in the first shot.
  • shine79shine79 Posts: 49
    Excellent article:

http://j.mp/iElkpw
    06.19.98 Vancouver | 11.06.00 Seattle | 05.30.03 Vancouver | 09.25.09 Vancouver
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    shine79 wrote:
    Excellent article:

it's not really bias when the canucks have shown time and time again that they play like children. between the diving, the biting, the whining, the cheap shots, the over acting... it gets annoying.
    or maybe the refs are out to get vancouver because the bettman doens't want a canadian team to win the cup...
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    shine79 wrote:
    Excellent article:

it's not really bias when the canucks have shown time and time again that they play like children. between the diving, the biting, the whining, the cheap shots, the over acting... it gets annoying.
    or maybe the refs are out to get vancouver because the bettman doens't want a canadian team to win the cup...
    Well, the Bruins have had their share of slashes and hits as well.
    The Lapierre folding over from Chara's "spear" was stupid but I am REALLY getting sick of it being the Canucks all the time. One of the Bruins broke our players back, and even though it wasn't intent to injure Rome wasn't intending to injure either. People will probably disagree with me but when you are tangled up with someone in an awkward position you don't slam them tail-bone first into the boards when the puck is at the other side of the ice.

I guess what I'm saying is, whenever WE do something its pointed out and scrutinized but it seems that Boston can get away with anything they want and no one will admit they make the same mistakes.
    And no one should be pointing the finger (no pun intended) at childish actions with the way a lot of (not all of) boston fans have been acting.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    haffajappa wrote:
    The Lapierre folding over from Chara's "spear" was stupid but I am REALLY getting sick of it being the Canucks all the time. One of the Bruins broke our players back, and even though it wasn't intent to injure Rome wasn't intending to injure either. People will probably disagree with me but when you are tangled up with someone in an awkward position you don't slam them tail-bone first into the boards when the puck is at the other side of the ice.

I guess what I'm saying is, whenever WE do something its pointed out and scrutinized but it seems that Boston can get away with anything they want and no one will admit they make the same mistakes.
    And no one should be pointing the finger (no pun intended) at childish actions with the way a lot of (not all of) boston fans have been acting.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    haffajappa wrote:

maybe
    or
    maybe the canucks are playing like idiots and that's why they're constantly being called out in the media. i keep getting this idea in my head that the canucks have this sense of entitlement to them. it's like they think they 'should' be in the finals and if things go wrong they piss and moan about it. it all started back in the chicago series when gillis pulled out his calculator and complained to the media that the refs were unfair. seriously, who does that? then the other day luongo called out thomas. the media did not 'misquote' luongo. he was being cocky and it came back to bite him in the ass.
    saying that boychuck slammed raymond into the boards is a huge exaggeration. raymond wen't in awkwardly (hunched over) and got hurt. it sucks, but it happens.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    anyone see Don Cherry's outfit last night/tonight on the NHL network :shock:

bright gold suit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDan16FhcwI
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    As a third party observer without much vested interest in this series, it's my opinion that both teams have been pretty childish and embarrassing.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:
    To getting popped in the face like that...the Sedin's best response to that is to have a great game 7. I hope the league is proud of themselves that you have 1 of your more talented forwards in the league being used as a punching in the finals. The league needs to either eliminate the instigator rule or remove punks like that from games.

Guarantee he wouldn't be doing that pre instigator rule. Thats why guys like Domi, Probert and Kocur will always have my respect...they only took on other tough guys like themselves, they never went looking to fight someone who they knew could not fight, unlike so many of these punks in the game today. They may have fought someone who was not a fighter, but it would have been rare.

Sedin's best response is big game 7.

I disagree about the instigator rule having really any affect on how the weasels play in the league. Do you really think that it would change anything?

Say the rule isn't in place, and after game 1, Thornton goes after Burrows for the biting thing... Burrows has a face shield on, turtles, gets popped in helmet a few times and doesn't get hurt... He gets a roughing minor and Thornton gets a major. Burrows wins, gets up grinning, his team has a PP, and lives to do something stupid

Then if you want the instigator rule then those punks need to be removed from the game. I say get rid of the instigator rule and let the players enforce punishment pn these punks.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MFCarissa wrote:
    As a third party observer without much vested interest in this series, it's my opinion that both teams have been pretty childish and embarrassing.

bingo!
    then the other day luongo called out thomas. the media did not 'misquote' luongo. he was being cocky and it came back to bite him in the ass.

Luongo did not "call out" Tim Thomas you ****. The media blew that up. So sick of hearing that.

He commented on the goal and he simply stated the way he plays, it would be a save. The way Thomas plays (aggresive) its a goal. Now, I agree Luongo should not have said anything at all. He should keep his mouth shut, but the media made it seem like he released a diatribe on Thomas critiquing his style and faults. It was one sentence in a presser, after a game. Get over it, he didnt call anyone out, or even accuse Thomas of being bad.
    g under p wrote:

That second article is scary similar to my opinion. No matter what happens, I want Thomas to win the Smythe.
    MFCarissa wrote:

That second article is scary similar to my opinion. No matter what happens, I want Thomas to win the Smythe.

No matter what happens, he WILL win the Conn Smythe, and be only the second American born player to do so. The first? Brian Leetch, against who? The Canucks. Weird.

"In fact, you two deserve each other. Maybe you can go on an off-season road trip together and the 23 guys who survive can form the Vanboston Bruinucks. We won’t like that team either."

I like that guy.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    That being said.....

LETS-GO-BRUINS-animated-icon.gif

THE Stanley Cup is within reach.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

then the other day luongo called out thomas. the media did not 'misquote' luongo. he was being cocky and it came back to bite him in the ass.

Luongo did not "call out" Tim Thomas you ****. The media blew that up. So sick of hearing that.

He commented on the goal and he simply stated the way he plays, it would be a save. The way Thomas plays (aggresive) its a goal. Now, I agree Luongo should not have said anything at all. He should keep his mouth shut, but the media made it seem like he released a diatribe on Thomas critiquing his style and faults. It was one sentence in a presser, after a game. Get over it, he didnt call anyone out, or even accuse Thomas of being bad.

The media baited him, and he took it hook, line, and sinker. As a professional athlete, he should know better than to give them any fodder. Again, as a third party observer, I didn't think the comment was horrible, but it was definitely unnecessary. It's best to just give a PC answer like, "I'm not worried about that, I'm focusing on my own game." Which is pretty much the answer Thomas gave when the media was fishing for more drama and asked him about Luongo getting pulled last night.
  • Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276

I didnt have a problem with the orig. quote. Where Lebruongo came of as a whiny bitch was when he seemed pissy about no one pumping his tires like he had apparently been doing to TT. What he should have said to the question is I have enough problems of my own to worry about before I begin to critique TT and just STFU.