NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    You Canucks fans need to relax. If you lose Game 5 then it's time to worry.

Is this Coyotes back to Winnipeg thing legit? Seems like it's been going on since 1996. :lol: I think the NHL should be at least one-third Canadian teams. That's where all the friggin fans are.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    MayDay10 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I used to think it was just Toronto, but I now think it could have been trying to protect Buffalo, how many people from that area go to Buffalo games? Were they mot in bankruptcy not that long ago? With Toronto Basillie would have had to pay them some money, but in the end Toronto would probably still sell out.

I just don't understand the NHL, he has deep pockets, wanted to put a team in densely populated region.

the reason Buffalo was in bankrupcy wasnt the fault of the fans. It was that the team was owned by corporate felons who's house of cards collapsed. There was a lull in attendance through that 2-3 year period because the team was gutted, owned by the NHL, and the situation was depressing to be around... but every other era in Sabres history has been attended very well, win or lose. They have missed the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years, and were looking like one of the worst teams in the league this season, and they still have 16K season ticket holders (with a large waiting list) and sell out most games. I would say Buffalo and Minnesota are loyal markets win or lose.

The past ownership group counted every possible incoming penny. They were probably very opposed to Hamilton's entry into the league. The new owner probably doesnt concern himself that much with it.

I think Hamilton with Basille would have been a better fit for Phoenix. I know the economics of the game has changed, but if they go to Winnipeg and start having problems, then we'll probably never get another team, imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    You Canucks fans need to relax. If you lose Game 5 then it's time to worry.

Is this Coyotes back to Winnipeg thing legit? Seems like it's been going on since 1996. :lol: I think the NHL should be at least one-third Canadian teams. That's where all the friggin fans are.

It seems to be legit...the other owners are probably tired of putting in there own money to prop up this franchise. Thats the part I don't understand about the NHL owners, they got advice from Bettman to buy this team out of bankruptcy court and he supposedly would get it sold to a Phoenix group and that hasn't happened yet. My question is, if they move to Winnipeg do they owners decide to let Bettman go? Any other business that the CEO cost them 40 million or so would be looking for work.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Ready for the Red Wings to sweep this series tonight! :D
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It's time to finish this experiment and send them packing back to Winnipeg tonight! (Manitobians, you can thank the Wings in a month or two when it's official)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    with the young base they have, and with an owner with $23 billion dollars, the Winnipeg team is going to be a serious contender very quickly.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Jason P wrote:
    It's time to finish this experiment and send them packing back to Winnipeg tonight! (Manitobians, you can thank the Wings in a month or two when it's official)

Poor little Shane Doanut will be heading home after the first round yet again. At least it gives him plenty of time to pack.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the NHL gave the winnipeg people the go ahead to start a campaign for selling seasons tickets like 5 days ago. its a go.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    MayDay10 wrote:
    with the young base they have, and with an owner with $23 billion dollars, the Winnipeg team is going to be a serious contender very quickly.

The major issue with the team in Winnipeg is will players want to play there. I personally can't wait for a team to go back to the Peg. I wonder if they will change the name back to the jets or will be something else
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    fife wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

The major issue with the team in Winnipeg is will players want to play there. I personally can't wait for a team to go back to the Peg. I wonder if they will change the name back to the jets or will be something else

They will not be called the Jets. confirmed same time they gave the go ahead for the sale of season tickets.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    fife wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

They will not be called the Jets. confirmed same time they gave the go ahead for the sale of season tickets.
    they should be called Winnipeg Jets mach 2
    that's a good point about having players wanting to play there. i for one would NOT want to live in manitoba :shock: but thats just me
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    I heard somewhere it is possible the team will be called the Manitoba Bears.

The owner can improve the infrastructure and player conditions where it isnt a bad place to play. This is precisely what the Sabres' owner is doing

the thing that sucks is the existing players who's families are in limbo.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    MayDay10 wrote:

The owner can improve the infrastructure and player conditions where it isnt a bad place to play. This is precisely what the Sabres' owner is doing

Lots of talk about Atlanta being the next go. Quebec City is not a lock, but a strong possibility. Seattle is a city that has been thrown around when talking about getting a team.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I swear, if you guys jinx the Wings with this s-w-e-e-p talk... :evil:

The Jets lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Red Wings before they moved to Phoenix, so it looks like things might be coming full circle.

And the problem with Basille was that he didn't just want to own a hockey team, he specifically wanted to own a hockey team in Hamilton. Basille's interests didn't line up with the best interests of the league. There are much better cities to put a team in, and if the Coyotes, specifically, were moved there, they'd have to move another Eastern Conference team to the West. Atlanta and Pittsburgh would be the best geographic candidates, but that's just silly. The Wings and Blue Jackets being in the West is ridiculous enough.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Lots of talk about Atlanta being the next go. Quebec City is not a lock, but a strong possibility. Seattle is a city that has been thrown around when talking about getting a team.
    oooohhh i could go for a few 2 hr roadtrips to watch my canucks in seattle!!
    MFCarissa wrote:
    that's what i said yesterday to everyone.
    beware! :)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    bye Niemi :lol::lol::mrgreen:

shut up asshole!
    haffajappa wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I think an NHL team in Seattle would be successful. The Sonics left a bit of a void for more professional sports there. That's why I don't understand Gary's little southern experiments. There are plenty of northern U.S. cities that I can see really getting behind an NHL team, if he wanted to go that route. I think Milwaukee and Indianapolis could be good NHL markets as well.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

shut up asshole!

:lol::lol::lol::sick:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

shut up asshole!

well played :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    after the 2nd period debacle, i went to bed and fell asleep wathcing the game...i woke up and the game was in ot...just then they scored

i went back to sleep
    MFCarissa wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I think an NHL team in Seattle would be successful. The Sonics left a bit of a void for more professional sports there. That's why I don't understand Gary's little southern experiments. There are plenty of northern U.S. cities that I can see really getting behind an NHL team, if he wanted to go that route. I think Milwaukee and Indianapolis could be good NHL markets as well.
    I just dont understand how Bettman still has a job.
    What the hell is he doing, with his love affair for putting teams in places they will never do well.

I guess its just bizarre to those of us in places like Vancouver, Detroit, Toronto, Calgary etc... Watching places that are so empty you can buy tickets for 15 dollars! I can't remember the last time Vancouver hasn't sold out a game
    haffajappa wrote:
    I guess its just bizarre to those of us in places like Vancouver, Detroit, Toronto, Calgary etc... Watching places that are so empty you can buy tickets for 15 dollars! I can't remember the last time Vancouver hasn't sold out a game

Not only does he still have a job, but his contract was renewed this season. I can't remember the exact term, but I want to say 7 more years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFyCRuWFCU
    MFCarissa wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Not only does he still have a job, but his contract was renewed this season. I can't remember the exact term, but I want to say 7 more years.

wasn't it 7 mil?
    he gets boo'd everywhere he goes, take the hint.
    he's just too cocky as hell to step down.
    i guess when they keep throwing money at him the boo's don't matter.
    BettmanMismanagement.jpg
    that TV deal he brokered is pretty huge for the league though. The league has also experience unprecedented growth since the lockout.

It doesnt matter what lawyer-type is the commissioner of the NHL. He is just an extension of the Board of Governors. they approved his new contract unanimously. All these decisions are on all 30 owners, not really Bettman.

I do believe NHL fans have a little too much unjustified hate for Bettman. If you look at the other 3 'major' North American leagues, I would say the NHL is the best run at this time.
    haffajappa wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

wasn't it 7 mil?
    he gets boo'd everywhere he goes, take the hint.
    he's just too cocky as hell to step down.
    i guess when they keep throwing money at him the boo's don't matter.

I just looked it up. 5 years, $7.2 million a year. It's like my one friends said, "He gets paid more than Lidstrom, but he does everything wrong." I actually heard that, for game 7 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch made Bettman purchase a ticket. He refused to just give him one for free. Ilitch offered him a ticket at market value, gave him a window of time to buy it, and if Bettman refused to purchase it, he was going to release it for sale to the public.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    MFCarissa wrote:

The Jets lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Red Wings before they moved to Phoenix, so it looks like things might be coming full circle.

And the problem with Basille was that he didn't just want to own a hockey team, he specifically wanted to own a hockey team in Hamilton. Basille's interests didn't line up with the best interests of the league. There are much better cities to put a team in, and if the Coyotes, specifically, were moved there, they'd have to move another Eastern Conference team to the West. Atlanta and Pittsburgh would be the best geographic candidates, but that's just silly. The Wings and Blue Jackets being in the West is ridiculous enough.

The issue with the Basille moving a team to Hamilton was really quite simple $$$'s ......Everyone knows a team in southern Ontario would be a license to print money ......The league would rather sell a franchise fee for $250 Mil than have Basille move it there and not pay anything to the other owners!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I just looked it up. 5 years, $7.2 million a year. It's like my one friends said, "He gets paid more than Lidstrom, but he does everything wrong." I actually heard that, for game 7 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch made Bettman purchase a ticket. He refused to just give him one for free. Ilitch offered him a ticket at market value, gave him a window of time to buy it, and if Bettman refused to purchase it, he was going to release it for sale to the public.

That is fucking awesome. Did he force him to buy a $50 card for spending in the arena like the Flyers? :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    MFCarissa wrote:

That is fucking awesome. Did he force him to buy a $50 card for spending in the arena like the Flyers? :lol:

No, I don't think we have anything like that. But that wasn't the first (or last) time Ilitch snubbed Bettman.