NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    i dunno ... the puck was in the vicinity ... and torres doesn't lift his elbows or anything to go directly for the head ...

And that's why he's not getting suspended. He targets the body 100% of the way and doesn't even try to play the puck. Intent to injure may not be black and white, but it sure looked like Torres had no other intentions. It wasn't a smart play and the fact that he's fresh off an earlier suspension isn't exactly a mitigating factor. I think when it comes down to it the reason he's home free is because Bettman has no balls.

Bettman doesn't determine suspension, Campbell does.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah, because he's totally not Bettman's puppet. :roll:
    The Fixer wrote:

these kinds of hits have been going on for years. when stevens knocked lindros out in the playoffs I didn't cry. that was a clean hit. when umberger got knocked out by campbell that was a clean hit as well.

society has become pussified. now when someone gets hurt everyone cries for a suspension or penalty. there are no such things as good hits anymore (in the NHL or NFL).

soon all sports will be non-contact. that will be fun :?

Yeah, and they used to wear leather helmets in football and I used to have to walk uphill both ways to school when I was your age. :roll:

It's not the same NHL as x years ago. Someone else said it before, Torres goes past the puck to get to Seabrook. That's a really stupid defensive play, especially when you're trying to clear the puck. Torres only intention on the play was to rattle Seabrook's head.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah, because he's totally not Bettman's puppet. :roll:
    The Fixer wrote:

these kinds of hits have been going on for years. when stevens knocked lindros out in the playoffs I didn't cry. that was a clean hit. when umberger got knocked out by campbell that was a clean hit as well.

society has become pussified. now when someone gets hurt everyone cries for a suspension or penalty. there are no such things as good hits anymore (in the NHL or NFL).

soon all sports will be non-contact. that will be fun :?

Yeah, and they used to wear leather helmets in football and I used to have to walk uphill both ways to school when I was your age. :roll:

It's not the same NHL as x years ago. Someone else said it before, Torres goes past the puck to get to Seabrook. That's a really stupid defensive play, especially when you're trying to clear the puck. Torres only intention on the play was to rattle Seabrook's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vU

I am not really sure why he was even penalized, Seabrook was about to play the puck and did not appear his elbows were up. Sure Seabrook had his head turned, but it was not a blind side hit, it's a rough game, it's Seabrook's responsibility to keep his head. Sure Torres went back their to rattle him and a good hockey player would, he didn't try to injure him.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Big Drop wrote:
    and I used to have to walk uphill both ways to school when I was your age.

I recently saw an episode of the Wonder Years where the dad said that he walked 30 miles to school every day!! Doing some quick math, if he walked it would have taken 10 hours, even if he ran it still would have been 4.5 hours.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I'm an Oilers fan....I will NEVER cheer for another NHL team. The last thing I want is my Canuck-fan friends to rub in a Cup until the Oilers win one again in 3 yrs or so...I don't want to hear them talk about how 'their' team brought it back to Canada. I will never cheer for the sisters, and I would never expect (or want) a Canucks fan to cheer for the Oil...sacrilege, I say!

oh, aaaaaand....what's with everyone praising the Vancouver anthem guy over the crowd sing-along thing? How quickly everyone forgets.....That's OUR opera-dudes trademark! Donnelly wishes he was Paul Lorieau! ;)

thank you. i'm glad another canadian has logic. it's the maple leafs (for me) or no one. i'd rather see the nhl fold than cheer for another (esp canadian) team. congrats on the #1 pick again, you bastard lol

and does anyone else want to see anthems stop being played at games? am i the only one who thinks it's a tradition that is just plain stupid?

While I'm a lifelong Flyers fan, i do like to watch certain hockey teams play and actually cheer for them except when they play against the Flyers.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i only cheer for the flyers, but i will cheer against other teams. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Game Day. My Broom Is Ready.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    haffajappa wrote:
    I'm an Oilers fan....I will NEVER cheer for another NHL team. The last thing I want is my Canuck-fan friends to rub in a Cup until the Oilers win one again in 3 yrs or so...I don't want to hear them talk about how 'their' team brought it back to Canada. I will never cheer for the sisters, and I would never expect (or want) a Canucks fan to cheer for the Oil...sacrilege, I say!

oh, aaaaaand....what's with everyone praising the Vancouver anthem guy over the crowd sing-along thing? How quickly everyone forgets.....That's OUR opera-dudes trademark! Donnelly wishes he was Paul Lorieau! ;)
    dream on :)
    donnelly started that ages ago, this is by far not the first season he's done it.
    Pretty sure the Oilers cup run in 06 was when that started! .....and it was because Lourieau was completely drowned out by the crowd, gave up, and held up the mic....everyone talks about how loud their barn is, but NOTHING tops that cup run.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

Who could forget Joey Moss beltin it out? or Bryzgalov being so impressed by the Edmonton fans that he was unable to contain his ear to ear grin (toward the end of the clip)? It was spontaneous magic....Your guy is a cheap imitation ;)

You're right about hockey in canada, and the Count taking teams from us tho...Seeing Ron Maclean grill him about the weak american franchises during their interview at the Oly's was one of the best interviews I've ever seen...gotta love RM.
    Katz has made some veiled attempts to threaten Edmonton with relocation if we don't get the new arena built...the guy would not make it out of town if he did.

Your team is lookin good! damnit! :lol:
    Game Day. My Broom Is Ready.

beat the shit out of them :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vU

I am not really sure why he was even penalized, Seabrook was about to play the puck and did not appear his elbows were up. Sure Seabrook had his head turned, but it was not a blind side hit, it's a rough game, it's Seabrook's responsibility to keep his head. Sure Torres went back their to rattle him and a good hockey player would, he didn't try to injure him.

agree ... haha

as for the cheering for other teams ... it comes down to this:

i am a hockey fan ... my team sucks the balls ... i love playoff hockey ... it's the best game out there ... i need to cheer for some team ... mainly that's decided annually by what players i get in my playoff pools ... hahaha ... but in general, i cheer for other canadian teams because in the past - it was slightly harder for canadian teams to compete because of the disparity in the US/Can dollar and taxation ... now - not so much ... still, i think there are only a few cities that match the passion canadian fans have for hockey so, i'd rather have Vancouver win ... i don't hate teams ... there are some players i hate but in general - i don't hate teams ... that's just stupid ... i think lindros once said that "what happens on the ice stays on the ice ... and that there is a general comraderie amongst hockey players ... that there aren't many guys in the league he wouldn't share a beer with" ... some of us take sport like it's war with another country ...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    polaris_x wrote:

i am a hockey fan ... my team sucks the balls ... i love playoff hockey ... it's the best game out there ... i need to cheer for some team ... mainly that's decided annually by what players i get in my playoff pools ... hahaha ... but in general, i cheer for other canadian teams because in the past - it was slightly harder for canadian teams to compete because of the disparity in the US/Can dollar and taxation ... now - not so much ... still, i think there are only a few cities that match the passion canadian fans have for hockey so, i'd rather have Vancouver win ... i don't hate teams ... there are some players i hate but in general - i don't hate teams ... that's just stupid ... i think lindros once said that "what happens on the ice stays on the ice ... and that there is a general comraderie amongst hockey players ... that there aren't many guys in the league he wouldn't share a beer with" ... some of us take sport like it's war with another country ...

i agree...i'm rooting for my kings to win it all...however, being a kings fan i know that will probably never happen :( :P

so once they're eliminated, i'll choose another team to root for...usually it's the wings because my family is from detriot

the only team i will never root for is Montreal...fuck them! :twisted: :lol:
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Seabrook officially out for tonight. Bolland in.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    in other NHL news
    NEW YORK (AP)—The NHL is staying on NBC and Versus for the next 10 years with a deal Commissioner Gary Bettman calls the most significant in league history.

In a joint announcement Tuesday, the NHL and the NBC Sports Group said the new deal will run through the 2020-21 season. The package is reportedly worth a total of $2 billion.

NBC will remain the exclusive network home for the NHL, and Versus is retaining the major cable rights. The NHL had drawn interest from ESPN, Turner and FOX, but decided to stay where it’s been the past six years.

For the first time, all Stanley Cup playoff games will air on one of the NBC Sports Group’s channels. The NBC Sports Group will televise 100 regular-season games per season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    in other NHL news
    NEW YORK (AP)—The NHL is staying on NBC and Versus for the next 10 years with a deal Commissioner Gary Bettman calls the most significant in league history.

In a joint announcement Tuesday, the NHL and the NBC Sports Group said the new deal will run through the 2020-21 season. The package is reportedly worth a total of $2 billion.

NBC will remain the exclusive network home for the NHL, and Versus is retaining the major cable rights. The NHL had drawn interest from ESPN, Turner and FOX, but decided to stay where it’s been the past six years.

For the first time, all Stanley Cup playoff games will air on one of the NBC Sports Group’s channels. The NBC Sports Group will televise 100 regular-season games per season.
    Although I would prefer that ESPN got the package (mainly to help increase exposure), I'm quite pleased with the coverage on Vs.
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    in other NHL news

Although I would prefer that ESPN got the package (mainly to help increase exposure), I'm quite pleased with the coverage on Vs.

fuck espn. :lol: actually, it doesn't matter to me. i did find it intersting that nbc will do 100 regular season games. not sure if regional action factors into that number or how that compares to current coverage.

i just wish center ice would give me home and away feeds for all games.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    in other NHL news

I was gonna put this on here. All playoff games on TV is awesome!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    all games on tv would be awesome. i will say, with the old deal, between espn and cbc, i got 75% or so of the first round games.

but it is fun flipping between games during intermission or on days the flyers arn't playing to see what's going on.

maybe center ice should do a $10-20 playoff package.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    doesn't fsn broadcast all local nhl games in the u.s?
    doesn't fsn broadcast all local nhl games in the u.s?

fox sports net?

no

Versus carries a game or two a night nationally. whomever the team contracts with to broadcast in the local market carries them locally, which could be fsn or comcast sports net, or some other local station. nbc has a game on the weekend.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    I just dont trust Comcast with NHL coverage. They will once again use this as leverage
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I just dont trust Comcast with NHL coverage. They will once again use this as leverage

Comcast blows. Pisses me off that they are involved with the Flyers
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    nbc is comcast...get used to being screwed
    and in dirty play news

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie(notes) and Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz(notes) each have been suspended for one game for hits they delivered during Game 3 of the first-round NHL playoff series between the Lightning and Penguins.

The league announced Tuesday that Downie was banned for Game 4 for leaving his feet and launching himself at the head of Pittsburgh’s Ben Lovejoy(notes) during the first period of the Lightning’s 3-2 loss on Monday night.

Kunitz was disciplined for elbowing Tampa Bay’s Simon Gagne(notes) in the head later in the period.

The suspensions will be served Wednesday night. The Penguins lead the series 2-1.

A delayed penalty was going to be assessed on Downie’s hit, but the Penguins scored before the Lightning regained possession of the puck.

Kunitz drew a minor penalty for elbowing Gagne about five minutes later.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    polaris_x wrote:

You have a good point in that Canadian fans are generally more deserving…still, I can watch playoff hockey without a team to cheer for.
    Honestly, there is a part of me that would love to see what Toronto would be like if you guys won a cup. It would be insane. Leafs fans are a dedicated bunch, even if it looks like the lower bowl at ACC is more of a boardroom than a hockey rink (not the fans’ fault!)….If Vancouver wins it, I will graciously (and grudgingly) congratulate my friends, and wish I was a part of the party…But it would be masochistic for me to cheer for them – the abuse I will take from my brother in law and BC friends will be unbearable. Conversely…I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh if/when they choke again ;)…unless it’s in the finals, cause rubbing that in could get a guy killed.
    As for hating other teams…I’m more likely to hate a team than a player….Once a player I hate puts on an Oil silk, I like him…once a player I like puts on a ‘flaming C’, he’s a pc of shit. I mean…hate is a strong word….Jarome Iginla and I have a lot of mutual friends and I’ve seen him around a few times..it’s not like I go spit on the guy or insult him lol….still, I have one friend who, due to their friendship, became a Flames fan….my friends and I think he’s the biggest turncoat ever! cheer for him, sure...but you don't just become a fan of another team for any reason!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

Honestly, there is a part of me that would love to see what Toronto would be like if you guys won a cup. It would be insane. Leafs fans are a dedicated bunch, even if it looks like the lower bowl at ACC is more of a boardroom than a hockey rink (not the fans’ fault!)….If Vancouver wins it, I will graciously (and grudgingly) congratulate my friends, and wish I was a part of the party…But it would be masochistic for me to cheer for them – the abuse I will take from my brother in law and BC friends will be unbearable. Conversely…I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh if/when they choke again ;)
    The leafs would have to make the playoffs to have a chance at winning.
    Maybe you guys can start with that before considering if the 'nucks will choke.
    ;)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    and in dirty play news

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie(notes) and Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz(notes) each have been suspended for one game for hits they delivered during Game 3 of the first-round NHL playoff series between the Lightning and Penguins.

The league announced Tuesday that Downie was banned for Game 4 for leaving his feet and launching himself at the head of Pittsburgh’s Ben Lovejoy(notes) during the first period of the Lightning’s 3-2 loss on Monday night.

Kunitz was disciplined for elbowing Tampa Bay’s Simon Gagne(notes) in the head later in the period.

The suspensions will be served Wednesday night. The Penguins lead the series 2-1.

A delayed penalty was going to be assessed on Downie’s hit, but the Penguins scored before the Lightning regained possession of the puck.

Kunitz drew a minor penalty for elbowing Gagne about five minutes later.

Aaaah Downie

I had high hopes for that kid
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I wish they would have Gary Thorne doing the NHL games

Emrick is such a weasel and the other guys are horrible
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    81 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Comcast blows. Pisses me off that they are involved with the Flyers

what they do with Philly sports is complete bullshit. I would love to watch the Phillies, but I cant. I have Directv.
    They also did this to me 97% of last season by taking Versus away from Directv.

I used to have Comcast. It was OK. my contract was up and I asked them if they would give me a deal to retain me as my rates got really high. They told me too bad. I switched to Directv. My Comcast internet would then go up from $40 to $70 per month.... but I could subscribe to basic cable (and not use it) for $15-$20 a month to keep the internet at $40. wtf?

I dont like the idea of Comcast controlling exclusive NHL content based on how they have run these things historically.

I got Directv. NFL Package is available. I have many more stations and HD Stations. I get Center Ice with both home and away feeds for all games (just cant watch the Flyers). Best yet, my agreement was up, I called up and they threw a number of bones my way to get me to sign on for 2 more years.

Its such crap that any sports fan in the Philadelphia area is forced to subscribe to Comcast.
    less we forget the ownership of the flyers...

and the comcast country sign inside the wachovia. disgusting
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    81 wrote:
    less we forget the ownership of the flyers...

and the comcast country sign inside the wachovia. disgusting

A freind of mine works for Comcast in Philly. He got me in the luxury box for Flyers/Canes before Halloween at the Spectrum :lol: