Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Well, first repair needed. Passenger side window is badly scratched,, could be the regulator and I also need to replace the window (due to the chips/scratches)

otherwise, everything is running well, I've (more or less) become 'one' with the car, locking in the gears smoothly, taking corners a bit more ummmm, BMW like.

I'm looking at another car too, guess I caught the car 'bug' again. It's a 458, still a solid 1.2 years away. But I'm readying myself for it.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    An Italia?

When am I visiting you, again?
  • Options
    Anytime brother, anytime.
    -
    So, new season coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3K0B3kLZs
  • Options
    New Ford GT. Dunno about the ass! Kinda ugly, no? Of course looks tends to be subjective.

cnet.com/products/2016-ford-gt/

and it's official, the next gen NSX. (Slightly tweaked from the earlier concept versions we have seen the past 2? years) (love the original, not sure about this one)

150112171210-2015-naias-acura-nsx-620xa.jpg
  • Options
    the Volvo XC90R probably being my fave car shown at the detroit show.

01-2015-volvo-xc90-r-design-detroit-1.jpg
  • Options
    Funny this thread got bumped, found a dent in my door today and pretty sure it was my neighbour.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote: »
    Funny this thread got bumped, found a dent in my door today and pretty sure it was my neighbour.

ah! Same, only on my Mini Cooper, its a bad dent too, one of those that took paint away. I think its my neighbors doing!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    "Ummmm,more BMW like" hehe I like that!
  • Options
    The Volvo is very Cayenne like
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote: »
    The Volvo is very Cayenne like

a bit. Though I think the Cayenne is looking a bit strange these days, then again it always kinda did (look strange). I like the Porsche Macan, (if we are talking talking an SUV from Porsche)

Someone in my division is contemplating getting the Macan or that Volvo above (not in R trim)

Porsche-Macan-9.jpg

So many great cars around these days, something for everyone.
  • Options
    It's kinda sexy,but so many makes all share the same look and feel in that genre.Still think X5 is the big daddy of the class.
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote: »
    It's kinda sexy,but so many makes all share the same look and feel in that genre.Still think X5 is the big daddy of the class.

True, many are cross platform. Though I prefer the (Audi) Q5 over an X5 (BMW), mine has been pretty solid the past 5 (or so) years, Audi and it's Quattro drive (awd/4wd) I rate higher (in ability) than that of the X5 (X Drive)

Not that what BMW has done with it's X drive system is that far behind Audi's system.
  • Options
    We almost went Audi(love the S5) But in the end just felt the BMW was a better fit for us.The Q5 is a fine ride.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited January 2015
    I don't know bout these new fangled cars. Let's see no dipsticks for oil or transmission. No spare tires (BMW) with heavy ass tires that ride rough, noisy and can't be repaired. Electronic emergency brakes. Electronic steering. Electronic gear selection " lifetime fluids" yeah right. And now everything will be turbocharged, complexity and shorter service life Read comparo between ford Eco boost v6 and chevy v8 PU and mPG same. Oh oh oh 30k oil service intervals. Sludge. Synthetic or not. Add $35k price for decent car. I don't know.

Okay okay, I do like ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, comfort access, 4oo hp, distance sensors, xenons, massaging seats, bad ass factory stereos. I'm sooo conflicted.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I get what you're saying, but you can get a decent car for a lot less than 35k!
    Some fluids never really need attention anyway, unless you end up with a leak.

If you're car shopping try something from everyone.
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    I don't know bout these new fangled cars. Let's see no dipsticks for oil or transmission. No spare tires (BMW) with heavy ass tires that ride rough, noisy and can't be repaired. Electronic emergency brakes. Electronic steering. Electronic gear selection " lifetime fluids" yeah right. And now everything will be turbocharged, complexity and shorter service life Read comparo between ford Eco boost v6 and chevy v8 PU and mPG same. Oh oh oh 30k oil service intervals. Sludge. Synthetic or not. Add $35k price for decent car. I don't know. <br />
    <br />
    Okay okay, I do like ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, comfort access, 4oo hp, distance sensors, xenons, massaging seats, bad ass factory stereos. I'm sooo conflicted.

Old Vs New? Analog Vs Digital?, stick shift Vs paddles? turbo Vs natural/normal? (1980s/90s) Nintendo/SNES Vs PS4?

Ya I miss being able to fix a Nintendo Game with a quick 'blow of the dust' on the cartridge..Of course when a PS2/3/4 game OR system stops working, it stops working forever! Or needs special video game system techs working on it.

As Much as I love the high tech goodies these days, I still prefer less fancy stuff and more... ummmm communication with the car, Hydraulic over Electric, engine/induction noise not fed into the cabin (cough cough New Bimmers)

and agreed on BMW run flats, not a fan, loud and rides a bit too rough.

I'd take a Ferrari F40 over the new La Ferrari....Ummmm maybe...maybe.
  • Options
    Rygar, as to lifetime fluids, if your going to keep a car for more than 100k miles. feel fluids need replacing particularly trans. BMW is classic example, they touted lifetime fluids but ZF makers of many of their transmissions, recommend fluid change then BMW changed their tune. Clutch discs wear. Fluid breaks down. Have had three cars with lifetime trans fluids and had shifting problems. After filter and fluid change all are still going. As to extended drain interval for crankcase, again if you dump car before 100k miles fine but going over even 10k miles is nuts. Still same blow by and oil breakdown. And with BMW they removed dipstick so unless you do own oil changes you can't see that nasty crap. Yes better components/fluids but extended is marketing driven with little government pressure thrown in.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Callen,I see your still waxing poetic for the classics.I had a pretty beefy 79 Camaro all thru HS(totalled it into a house after I was ejected from the vehicle.Long story ,involving hours of surfing,copious amounts of Mary jane,Dukes of hazard doors that stopped working,or started working depending on your position,A sharp corner and exceeded speed limits.Oh and a pair of neon blue and pink quicksilvers,it was the mid 80s after all ,good times indeed).

Loved that car,called her Christine because somehow she would get us home at night without our knowledge. she had Crager ss 50s on rear with a very jacked up rear end and s/t s on the front.Looked tough as shit,kinda like bumble bee on Transformers,just cleaner.Loved rebuilding the carb on that one.Your right everything was simple and easy peesy.It let you "connect" to your ride.Had the alpine cassette w graphic equalizer and power boost.Van Halen and Zeppelin never sounded so good.

I've thought about picking one up and restoring it,but I do really love all the modern amenities of my newer vehicles.Plus I'm not sure other then taking dogs to beach,momma out for lunch or to the gym when I would actually drive it.

What Chevy was the dash pick?Nova?
  • Options
    Rr. Have both analog and digital. Per my post above love comfort access and all the other goodies. But man why not give me a freakin dipstick and a spare. Once forced induction becomes standard in all cars....
  • Options
    Speaking of Forced Induction. (we were expecting this to one day happen) Porsche has said that every 911 (-the GT3?) will use Turbos starting 2015/2016.

If that's not sad enough, the next gen M5 will have AWD. Though with a rear bias, I guess as long as the back comes out, it's all good.
  • Options
    Idris wrote: »
    Speaking of Forced Induction. (we were expecting this to one day happen) Porsche has said that every 911 (-the GT3?) will use Turbos starting 2015/2016.

If that's not sad enough, the next gen M5 will have AWD. Though with a rear bias, I guess as long as the back comes out, it's all good.

Rear Bias?would that be a 60/40 split? Doesn't sound Kosher
  • Options
    having issues posting links. Autoblog, MotorTrend, automobile mag (others) have some write ups,
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    While I think there is nothing wrong with AWD, certain RWD cars should never change drivetrains...if they do change it maybe they'll give owners an adjustable bias.
    New (rumoured) Mazdaspeed3 is (again, rumoured) to be AWD 300+hp. FWD to AWD is a good change. I'd consider getting rid of mine and getting a new one for AWD.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Went car shopping with (for) a buddy of mine last week, had a (2009) e60 ///M5 for the day to test drive from the dealer, he was gonna buy it until we took the ride to an indie shop and got the report back, multiple thousands in work needed, the dealer was selling it in perfect running condition and no mechanical issues. (but oh my...That F1 derived V10, the sound and punch of that power unit, stunning)

anyway, the next day he found himself an rx-7 :) rotary! picked that up, so pretty exciting, the car needs some love but the potential is huge.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    FD3S?
  • Options
    Rygar said:

FD3S?

Yes! Though I think its JM1FD in North America? (Not sure if that's the accurate title)

Its a 95', with 99 engine,trans and front end from Japan. (I'm not an RX-7 expert, so I'm still learning the car myself) The plan is to put 5-10k into tuning, suspension etc

I saw a blue one online, loving the rims but can't seem to locate them

• Options
    Sorry, brain fart on my part. It is JM1FD in NA. I have JDM everything in my brain though, haha.
    There is one at the Mazda dealership here parked long-term.
    Way better looking than the FC series (JM1FC1/3).

I would love to have one except I don't want to deal with rotary rebuilds. That and money.
  • Options
    Rygar said:

I would love to have one except I don't want to deal with rotary rebuilds. That and money.

The cool thing is we got one of the top Rotary Shops here in Florida, so any major builds and fixes goes straight to the shop.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So, to my car-loving friends here...getting ready to trade in my '97 Integra for a 2015 Scion FR-S.

Do any of you have experience or words of wisdom to share on this make/model?
  • Options
    hedo,Congrats on parting with your baby there.But I think you are do.
    I personally don't know a lot about the Scion,but after taking a look,I would say check out the "Monogram series".Seems like some nice upgrades and appointments at a very reasonable price point.The car has some nice lines also.The "Asphalt" paint choice seems awesome and I notice you can do some cool upgrades right from the start,like dual exhaust and modified air intake.

Note to OP.I think the name of this thread need to change now to just "The Official Car enthusiast Thread"