Options

the "car guy" thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited January 2018
    Dream car = Mercedes AMG GTC Coupe. 
    My dream car in a Nissan GTr...  I wanna go fast.

Sweet car. 

I have been pulled over 13 times for speeding over the years.  I've been lucky to time them well so I can always defer them and keep them off my points and insurance.   I figured out I essentially pay 2 cents a mile through speeding tickets to go as fast as I want.  I'm good with that (until they start coming in groups).

• Options
    Dream car = Mercedes AMG GTC Coupe. 
    My dream car in a Nissan GTr...  I wanna go fast.

Sweet car. 

I have been pulled over 13 times for speeding over the years.  I've been lucky to time them well so I can always defer them and keep them off my points and insurance.   I figured out I essentially pay 2 cents a mile through speeding tickets to go as fast as I want.  I'm good with that (until they start coming in groups).

You could become friends with a cop and he might help you out, lol!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    My car cost me $1200 today to be serviced. Big ouch.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I had a complimentary software tuning by Revo done 2 months ago (2015 Focus 1.0 ecoboost). My friend at the Ford dealership also knows some of the Revo guys on the side, as he's done a lot of business with various VWs & Audis he's had.  They are testing the Ford software in North America and he got me the hook-up to be a test subject.

HP didn't gain too much, went from 126 to 137.  I didn't even think about it, but I filled up the tank on 87 about 5 miles before I arrived at the place.  They didn't have time to drain and refill, so they just ran the software for an 87 profile.  He said I could bring it back and run a 93 profile and he could probably get me up around 150-155 HP. Obviously, the higher octane, the better gains and performance you'll get.

However, torque was super impressive.  He got it to jump from 145 to 198 lb/ft.  And honestly, that's what I'm really happy with.  I love that low end pull the car has now.  For such a small engine, it'll actually put you back in your seat now.

So with that, I decided not to worry about the 13-18 possible extra horses. That would end up costing me $8-10 more per tank anyway.

Speaking of which, the second best part* is fuel economy has actually improved.  I've been getting around 36.5 mpg where I was getting around 35 before the software upgrade. That's roughly 900 miles or 2.5 tanks in annual savings.

(*The best part is that this was about a $600-700 service done at no cost to me.)
  • Options
    I had a complimentary software tuning by Revo done 2 months ago (2015 Focus 1.0 ecoboost). My friend at the Ford dealership also knows some of the Revo guys on the side, as he's done a lot of business with various VWs & Audis he's had.  They are testing the Ford software in North America and he got me the hook-up to be a test subject.

HP didn't gain too much, went from 126 to 137.  I didn't even think about it, but I filled up the tank on 87 about 5 miles before I arrived at the place.  They didn't have time to drain and refill, so they just ran the software for an 87 profile.  He said I could bring it back and run a 93 profile and he could probably get me up around 150-155 HP. Obviously, the higher octane, the better gains and performance you'll get.

However, torque was super impressive.  He got it to jump from 145 to 198 lb/ft.  And honestly, that's what I'm really happy with.  I love that low end pull the car has now.  For such a small engine, it'll actually put you back in your seat now.

So with that, I decided not to worry about the 13-18 possible extra horses. That would end up costing me $8-10 more per tank anyway.

Speaking of which, the second best part* is fuel economy has actually improved.  I've been getting around 36.5 mpg where I was getting around 35 before the software upgrade. That's roughly 900 miles or 2.5 tanks in annual savings.

(*The best part is that this was about a $600-700 service done at no cost to me.)
    I'm wondering what they did to your computer to increase the torque without putting new parts in it?

Fuel management I get but that only goes so far without changing ports, pistons and the like.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I have a Focus too. 2007.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

I'm wondering what they did to your computer to increase the torque without putting new parts in it?

Fuel management I get but that only goes so far without changing ports, pistons and the like.
    From what I understand, the engine is already mapped out to get that much, it's just restricted by the software before it leaves the factory. Most likely they increased the compression ratio and possibly sped up the valve timing to create a faster fuel-air mixture. Maybe, I don't really know.  I know for certain the gear ratios were adjusted.  I have to downshift at higher rpm than I used to.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542

From what I understand, the engine is already mapped out to get that much, it's just restricted by the software before it leaves the factory. Most likely they increased the compression ratio and possibly sped up the valve timing to create a faster fuel-air mixture. Maybe, I don't really know.  I know for certain the gear ratios were adjusted.  I have to downshift at higher rpm than I used to.

That's my understanding too.  I would think it would be setup that way to minimize wear and tear on the engine and parts, otherwise why limit performance?  I would do it on my car but it would void the warranty.   
  • Options

The focus must have an electronic transmission then?

thats pretty cool that your car does that now. 

Oh and your warranty is now void...

vroom vroom!!!
  • Options

vroom vroom!!!
    I don't know, really.  I'm honestly not sure how the software works or what coding adjustments they make with it.  Can a manual transmission be electronically controlled?

As for the warranty, the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 prevents any retail manufacturer from disclaiming or limiting warranties. If a product has a warranty, the manufacturer must offer the consumer a resolution on any issue that arises.  If the engine blows, they have to replace it. They can skate around it some by charging labor (as the act covers parts & components, but does not cover service), but they can't charge me for an engine.

I can also have the Revo guys flash it back to stock at any time.
  • Options

vroom vroom!!!
    I don't know, really.  I'm honestly not sure how the software works or what coding adjustments they make with it.  Can a manual transmission be electronically controlled?

As for the warranty, the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 prevents any retail manufacturer from disclaiming or limiting warranties. If a product has a warranty, the manufacturer must offer the consumer a resolution on any issue that arises.  If the engine blows, they have to replace it. They can skate around it some by charging labor (as the act covers parts & components, but does not cover service), but they can't charge me for an engine.

I can also have the Revo guys flash it back to stock at any time.
    If them Revo guys can erase any of their meddling on that computer then you are golden.

I do know that if you launch your GTR it will void the warranty.  During a test run with a reporter the Nissan sponsor told the reporter it was ok to launch it.  The reporter looked over at him and said HUH?!?

Sponsor said "it'll be ok".

Launching he went!
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    Programming can be used for amazing things these days. 

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,773
    There is only 1 car:

Went from a 2 door Sport to a 4 door Unlimited Sahara. LOVE IT! What's that weatherman? We have gotten 25 inches of snow the last few days? Sweet! Tell these other peeps to GTF out of my way! It's time for me to have some fun!!!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    There is only 1 car:

Went from a 2 door Sport to a 4 door Unlimited Sahara. LOVE IT! What's that weatherman? We have gotten 25 inches of snow the last few days? Sweet! Tell these other peeps to GTF out of my way! It's time for me to have some fun!!!
    I LOVED my sahara wrangler.  It was a 95.

Have you seen the demographics for jeeps now?  They've replace the suburban for woman in the burbs...

I still want one though.

Nice rig.

I've asked a few people about the ride and everyone says it's a much better ride with the longer wheelbase.  What do u think?
  • Options
    What the hell are you driving an S class?
  • Options
    Ended up being  $1400.
    Major service.
    Brake pads, new filters, replace faulty valve, new battery.
  • Options
    There is only 1 car:

I LOVED my sahara wrangler.  It was a 95.

Have you seen the demographics for jeeps now?  They've replace the suburban for woman in the burbs...

I still want one though.

Nice rig.

I've asked a few people about the ride and everyone says it's a much better ride with the longer wheelbase.  What do u think?
    It is WAAAYYYYY better. The 2 door was fun and all. I liked the way it rode through the regular weather and in the summer, but the winter wasn't too good. I live in PROBABLY the 2nd biggest snowbelt (to the Buffalo area) in the US. Northwest Indiana  (just southeast of Lake Michigan) gets a shit ton of snow at random times. We just got 25" of the stuff and 10 miles west got about 5". Anyhow, my Sahara cuts through that shit like IDGAF!

If you can, get an Unlimited! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I've never had a Wrangler, would love to own one someday.  I've never heard anything but child-like giggles from those who've had them.
  • Options
    I have heard people either love them or hate them. And while I don't chauffeur many people around, it seems like a 50/50 split.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    The last time I looked, Consumer Reports gave the Jeep Wrangler 20 points out of 100 possible. It had the poorest rating of anything at one time.

That said, they are cool, hold resale value very well and most people that own one said they would buy one again. Despite bad ride comfort, poor fuel economy and questionable reliability.

I have been researching them lately because my wife likes the look of the 4-door models. I'm trying to determine if it would be a good fit for her lifestyle, driving habits and expectations before taking one for a test drive.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    The last time I looked, Consumer Reports gave the Jeep Wrangler 20 points out of 100 possible. It had the poorest rating of anything at one time.

That said, they are cool, hold resale value very well and most people that own one said they would buy one again. Despite bad ride comfort, poor fuel economy and questionable reliability.

I have been researching them lately because my wife likes the look of the 4-door models. I'm trying to determine if it would be a good fit for her lifestyle, driving habits and expectations before taking one for a test drive.
    Women are the number one buyers of wranglers now.

They are fun to drive but like u said, it's a box, semi rough ride and bad gas mileage they are great.  I don't know about the reliability part though.
  • Options
    Ended up being  $1400.
    Major service.
    What kind of vehicle?

It isn't so bad when you have all those done at once.
  • Options
    Ended up being  $1400.
    Major service.
    What kind of vehicle?

Ford Focus 2007.
    I didn't take it to service last year so it was overdue. Usually it is $275.
  • Options
    Ended up being  $1400.
    Major service.
    What kind of vehicle?

Ford Focus 2007.
    You guys get the cool Focus across the pond.  I've seen rally versions of them overseas.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ended up being  $1400.
    Major service.
    What kind of vehicle?

Ford Focus 2007.
    You guys get the cool Focus across the pond.  I've seen rally versions of them overseas.
    This is my car (not my actual car photo) but my wheels are different.

Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    I had an 07 for a work car and it was ugly as hell.  Ran good but ugly.

Your car is MUCH better looking than what I was driving, lol.
  • Options
    Yeah that was definitely not our '07 body style.  That looks like a more rounded version of our current style.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Yeah, I get it that it's not going to feel like a Lexus. So I have my expectations that it won't feel that way. Also, if someone is in the market for a Wrangler they have to expect only 18/21 MPG. If you expect it, then no big deal. We all weigh pros and cons of these types of purchases. If one is buying a NEW Jeep, the lesser fuel economy probably is not their biggest concern as a brand new Wrangler is not cheap.

However most people who would pick to have a Lexus (or other luxury SUV) probably wouldn't enjoy a lot of what I enjoy in a Wrangler. I'm one of the few who will actually take the top off (built a pulley system mounted from my garage ceiling) in the spring and replace it with a soft top until fall. Additionally, I love to have the 4 doors off. I have quick connect foot pegs that mount to where the door hinges are and quick connect sideview mirrors. I get the most comfort during summer days when I can cruise without the doors on and the top down. I love it! It's like a motorcycle (used to have one but couldn't get over the fear of what would happen if I wrecked or hit an animal) but I feel much safer in it. 

Let us know if you decide that a Wrangler is something you will allow your wife to get. Hope she gets your blessing!

Pro tip: I recommend the Sahara model if you can spend a little more. Some of the Sahara's have many of the extras. Only thing I'd really like added to mine is a backup camera. But then again, my girlfriend has one in her Equinox and I still use the mirrors instead.

• Options
    dudeman said:

Yeah, I get it that it's not going to feel like a Lexus. So I have my expectations that it won't feel that way. Also, if someone is in the market for a Wrangler they have to expect only 18/21 MPG. If you expect it, then no big deal. We all weigh pros and cons of these types of purchases. If one is buying a NEW Jeep, the lesser fuel economy probably is not their biggest concern as a brand new Wrangler is not cheap.

However most people who would pick to have a Lexus (or other luxury SUV) probably wouldn't enjoy a lot of what I enjoy in a Wrangler. I'm one of the few who will actually take the top off (built a pulley system mounted from my garage ceiling) in the spring and replace it with a soft top until fall. Additionally, I love to have the 4 doors off. I have quick connect foot pegs that mount to where the door hinges are and quick connect sideview mirrors. I get the most comfort during summer days when I can cruise without the doors on and the top down. I love it! It's like a motorcycle (used to have one but couldn't get over the fear of what would happen if I wrecked or hit an animal) but I feel much safer in it. 

Let us know if you decide that a Wrangler is something you will allow your wife to get. Hope she gets your blessing!

Pro tip: I recommend the Sahara model if you can spend a little more. Some of the Sahara's have many of the extras. Only thing I'd really like added to mine is a backup camera. But then again, my girlfriend has one in her Equinox and I still use the mirrors instead.

I kept my doors off and top down almost all year.  Rain?  No problem but the rain would go on the INSIDE of my windshield because of the wind!

I took that thing everywhere!  Beach, rivers, mountains, snow, desert, you name it. 

Like Darwin said, it feels "free" like a motorcycle only safer.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    On this day 10 years ago I brought my car home for the first time. Happy anniversary baby.