Options

the "car guy" thread

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
One of my biggest passions other than music is cars. I always found it crazy that there was never a real dedicated car thread here. So heres my attempt at starting that. I know "evenflow" is a car guy here atleast. :)

Post whatever car you own, with any work you have done to it, pictures, or some of your favorite cars. Anything really.

2006 MINI Cooper S. LSD, (not the drug) intake, strut brace. Greatest car I've ever owned. Im trying to get a pic of it, but theres a picture size limit thats way too small.

GO!
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I used to roll an c3 vette. Swapped rear gearing to 3.55, added headers, air gap intake, demon carb, electric fans. It was a blast. Now i just rol along in my little truck that only has a stereo.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm married to a car guy. Maybe I could start a thread for the car guy widows? ;)

Funny you talking about how there isn't a thread dedicated to cars. About 2 weeks ago I almost started one. My husband sold the 66 Volvo P1800 that he'd owned since 1983. It got me to thinking about how sentimental we are about our cars, even giving them names. I was curious if other people are like that.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I'm married to a car guy. Maybe I could start a thread for the car guy widows? ;)

Funny you talking about how there isn't a thread dedicated to cars. About 2 weeks ago I almost started one. My husband sold the 66 Volvo P1800 that he'd owned since 1983. It got me to thinking about how sentimental we are about our cars, even giving them names. I was curious if other people are like that.

Yup. My mini is named Stella, after the beyond gorgeous character Charlize Theron plays in the Italian job.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104
    i drive a hyndai..but i pimp rides fora living...had a 66 pontiac whith a 400hp yz engine and a 4oo turbo trans...verry badass for an 18 year old 8-)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    My first car was a 1978 Datsun 280z. It had a straight 6 and was the year before the catalytic converter came in. This wasn't environmentally sound as I could run the thing on leaded fuel. I loved that car.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/06/25/01/48/1978-datsun-280z-pic-31454.jpeg

That's not my picture but that was the car.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    had a 66 pontiac whith a 400hp yz engine and a 4oo turbo trans...verry badass for an 18 year old 8-)

now that's a car
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    For years I was into Fieros. Had three of them over 10 years. My first Fiero was a base '85 2m4. That little sucker would not quit. Never gave me a problem and great gas mileage. Then I came across a low-mileage nearly mint '86SE 2m6 with a MillerWoods turbo. Aside from the busted tranny and typical cracked manifold it was nearly a show-car. Had that car for 9 years, and once the tranny and manifolds were replaced, it also never gave me a problem. That was a garage queen and would take it to Carlisle every year. Quick car, would surprise a lot of people, but not fast. My last Fiero was a side-swiped '88 coupe with T-Tops. A VERY rare car. I miss that one the most. Nothing like running around with the T-Tops off listening to that V6 purr behind you ( I swapped in a stock V6, too bored with the stock Iron Duke). Then in '02 I bought a brand-new WRX. Kinda lost interest in Fieros b/c the WRX was such an impressive car. Tried to do the WRX clubs but I guess I ran into the wrong ones, lets just say I'd never leave my car unlocked around those kids. Very different from the Fiero group. They were the nicest, down-to-earth most helpful people you'll ever meet. The first year I took my '88 coupe to Carlisle the ignition module went out (very common) and within 20 minutes 8 people were hovering around my car, one had an extra and they were installing it and the car was running again. No one would take a penny! Once gas hit $4.50 a gallon, the WRX had to go. Traded it in on a '07 Civic coupe, still rockin it, and 100% stock and will stay that way. I'm on the lookout for a Fiero GT with a L67 in it, a 12 second car that you don't see everyday. I'd post a pic of my turbo'd Fiero if I knew how, that was a beautiful car. Can I email it to someone?
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited February 2011
    2009 Mini Cooper S - Astro Black (no stripes or two-tone, all black) with tan leather interior. Love, love, love it.

My favorite is when people tail-gate me (especially pick-up drivers) because they think the small car is slow. hahaha. They don't realize the power to weight ratio with the turbo engine is pretty high.

Oh, and her name is Jetta. Naming your Mini is important. :lol:

This is Jetta:
    http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii417/PJ24587/Baseball%20Car%20PJ/100_1933.jpg

My first car was a 1966 Mustang that my dad and I bought and restored together. It took us about 3 months to get it in shape and painted. It was emberglow (a kind of bronze, copper color Ford only used for a couple of years) with pony interior and a 4 speed manual with a 289 V-8. We made that thing look factory new This was in 1988. In 1991, a guy in a truck ran a stop sign going about 45 or so and slammed into my side, destroying my Mustang. I loved that car.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I've had all sorts of cars but I've never been that enthusiastic and tend to treat them as a way to get from A2B.

The only vehicle i had any real fun with was one of these. 1300cc in a bike. FUN! :D

10727.1263556408.2009-XJR1300-colour-black_prv_tcm46-267864.jpg
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Should it be the 'car person' thread? Then women can join in too?

Not me though, as long as it goes I don't care :D
  • Options
    I drive a 2009 Black/Black Acura TSX

It has the New Car Scent Air Freshner
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    ok...i gotta ask.....what is with the man love for these mini coopers? i don't get it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    95 Mustang Gt
    Fire engine red
    Leather interior
    All the bells and whistles..........

Then I totaled the fucker......
    I drive semis for a living.....for 20+ years.....Have never had any type of an accident......

But I totaled my 95 Mustang.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    ok...i gotta ask.....what is with the man love for these mini coopers? i don't get it.

Opposite of the guys who drive BIG Trucks ?

• Options
    Claireack wrote:

No, some womens cars are different. It's really embarrassing if I have to drive her wagon. :oops:
  • Options
    81 wrote:

i guess.

i was reading the local rag and they said 90% of the mini's in chicago are owned by people that live just east of wrigley.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    81 wrote:

Test drive one. They are fast, corner like you wouldn't believe, have precision handling. Like driving a go-cart on steroids. And you can customize them a million different ways. Without a doubt the most fun car I have ever driven. The only car I've had where I actually look forward to driving.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

No...you have bumper stickers on your car

:P

• Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i guess.

i was reading the local rag and they said 90% of the mini's in chicago are owned by people that live just east of wrigley.

Mini's are not feasible for people with 2 80lb dogs and a one year old daughter

yeah..I'm bitter

• Options
    Flagg wrote:
    81 wrote:

Test drive one. They are fast, corner like you wouldn't believe, have precision handling. Like driving a go-cart on steroids. And you can customize them a million different ways. Without a doubt the most fun car I have ever driven. The only car I've had where I actually look forward to driving.
    They are superb but in the wrong hands. :shock:
    I've never owned one but did have the pleasure of driving a mini cooper for a morning.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

No...you have bumper stickers on your car

:P

No bumper stickers - just dents where I've inadvertantly bumped into stuff.

Citreon Berlingo is our car, plenty of room for the shopping.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

Enlighten us on "stuff" :lol:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I want a Mini ssssooooooooooooooooooooo bad. ok, maybe not a good idea since I tend to have a leadfoot in fast cars....I miss the Camaro. :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

:oops: Parked vehicles, moving vehicles, walls, umm stuff covers everything really, well except animals & people
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

:oops: Parked vehicles, moving vehicles, walls, umm stuff covers everything really, well except animals & people
    I can list a post box, a mini, my garage door and a flower bed so you're not alone. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Flagg wrote:
    2009 Mini Cooper S - Astro Black (no stripes or two-tone, all black) with tan leather interior. Love, love, love it.

My favorite is when people tail-gate me (especially pick-up drivers) because they think the small car is slow. hahaha. They don't realize the power to weight ratio with the turbo engine is pretty high.

Oh, and her name is Jetta. Naming your Mini is important. :lol:

This is Jetta:
    http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii417/PJ24587/Baseball%20Car%20PJ/100_1933.jpg

Haha nice name. I have the previous gen that is supercharged but I've driven a 2009 S as a loaner. I love mine to death. I plan on running it to the ground, Im never selling it. And yes. I look forward to driving it every single day. Ive had it for almost 2 years now and its stil just like day one for me.
    eddiec wrote:
    My first car was a 1978 Datsun 280z. It had a straight 6 and was the year before the catalytic converter came in. This wasn't environmentally sound as I could run the thing on leaded fuel. I loved that car.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/06/25/01/48/1978-datsun-280z-pic-31454.jpeg

That's not my picture but that was the car.

sweeeet. My dad bought a 72 240Z back when I was in middle school. I got to drive it a few times in parking lots. I loved that car. It was lime yellow with only 23K miles when he bought it!
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    81 wrote:

didnt see that. Because they handle incredible. Especially if you have the first gen like mine. the new ones have a tad more of an "artificial" feel. The steering is ultra responsive, the clutch is nice and stiff, the gearbox is ultra notchy, the ride is very stiff, the supercharger SCREAMS at full throttle, the stock engine management was purposely designed to leave excess fuel run off into the exhaust so it burns off which causes the exhaust to burble and pop.I can go on and on. Its 100% an enthusiasts car. lots of people auto cross their minis. Plus, their owners arent your typical douche bag VW owner. I get waves from other mini drivers. the only bad thing is most of the owners arent car enthusiasts, just a girl who wants a "cute" car.

Small and light is the way too go for me. Give me a lotus elise over a car like a viper or a vette. Thats just me.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i have myself a 94 lincoln town car executive edition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXRIEijUPg
    charcoal gray
    black leather interior

the engine runs on almost zero oil
    it has about 190,000 miles on it
    i've had the starter replaced/rebuilt 3 different times
    had the rear suspension air bags replaced
    had a transmission cooler thingy installed for pulling loads up mountains

the windshield is trashed, the only window that opens is the driver's window.
    duct tape, my car loves duct tape

nine years ago i paid $10,000 cash for this car.
    ever hand a car salesman 10 grand in cash money?
    he used to call every so often inquiring on vehicale status. ........ ...... ...... .dick
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    am i missing something, because the numbers are not impressive at all.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Mini-Coope ... Times.html
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    am i missing something, because the numbers are not impressive at all.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Mini-Coope ... Times.html
    It's not all about straight line speed but about handling and the ability to throw it around. :D