Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I was looking to replace my mazda 3 with a 2014/2015 redesigned model, but I did see this thing show up...
    http://www.ddodge.com/certified/Mazda/2012-Mazda-MAZDASPEED3-e9aa225e0a0a006529bcc7bd86db4cba.htm
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Rygar said:

I was looking to replace my mazda 3 with a 2014/2015 redesigned model, but I did see this thing show up...
    http://www.ddodge.com/certified/Mazda/2012-Mazda-MAZDASPEED3-e9aa225e0a0a006529bcc7bd86db4cba.htm

I've known some guys that had these, and they were really happy with the performance.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    Best price I've seen on them yet, kms aren't too bad. I should at least check it out. Not entirely sure I want two cars that go through premium fuel like a trooper though!
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited July 2014

Its kinda flashy with the gold rims... but I had the blue one and silver rims, and it was a tad less flashy. I really dig the blue though. :)

past few days I've had the blue on my mind!

I've been reading more write ups on the WRX and something that I find a bit worrying are complaints about wind/road noise in the WRX!

I'm gonna have to drive it again, only do a more in depth test myself.

I gotta say, the NEW 2015 VW GTI still has my attention...and reviews have been pretty positive too, as they have also been for the wrx.

Chris Harris review (he says pedals are placed well for heel and toe, some others have said the opposite, I gotta drive to see myself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kl8AP6CoyI

I've read/watched over 30 reviews on the wrx and gti, both seem pretty fantastic.
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options

Rygar said:

I've known some guys that had these, and they were really happy with the performance.
    They drive really well, I enjoyed mine (same model year), the clutch is maybe not the best thing ever, but otherwise a solid car. Oh, it does suffer from major torque steer, but it's not a deal breaker.

(I put almost 4,000 miles on mine before I sold/traded it for something else)
  • Options
    And the next Gen MazdaSpeed 3 is rumored to have 295+ bhp and AWD. Yummy!

• Options
    I drove that Mazdaspeed yesterday and it wasn't what I expected. Power was good - no comparison to the Evo, but good nonetheless - but the creaks and clunks out of it were a lot more than I expected. The clutch was really really hard, snapped out, and some major torque steer (which I knew all about anyway so non-issue). The intake filter was in horrible shape, and it was obvious the dealership didn't bother cleaning up the engine bay.
    Went and drove a 2014 Mazda 3 afterwards. Love that car, so nice and the interior/exterior has come such a long way! Might be the way I go. No comparison on the power of course, but I already have that 6 months of the year :P
  • Options
    Mazda's in general are looking pretty good these days, building good looking, Good performing vehicles (for what they are) overall.

Now if they only bring back the RX-7!

• Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Current ride is a 1995 Toyota Corolla 5 speed. 135,000 miles and is in great shape.

First car was a 1960 Triumph TR3. http://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/the-triumph-tr-cars-the-triumph-tr3a/
    Hold On
  • Options
    That's a pretty good 'first car'.
  • Options
    Apparent for the next gen WRX, Subaru will be taking more styling cues from the sweet looking WRX concept (below) , too bad it was not done for this new current generation...

• Options
    WRX is officially off my 'buy' list. Just went back today for a deeper test drive, sales guy was a bit too arrogant for my liking. Talked to the manager and he was just a jackass, So I'm done with Subaru for now. (I filed a complaint with Subaru North America)

Went over to VW to drive the GTI right after, they only had a DSG (no 6 speeds), drove it, car was refined, interior was well put together, but overall the drive was kinda dull.

I think I'm gonna check out the M235i at BMW.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just test drove an S4...What a sweet ride, seats were fantastic, steering pin point accurate, sound was nice. (333hp supercharged V6)

• Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Not quite an S4 but I picked up a 1998 V6 Audi Quattro nice and cheap. Very happy with it so far. Lots of fun on tarmac and the dirt :D
    photo Audi_zps14d00235.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    Nice! Hard to go to the winter car after having fun all summer :P
  • Options
    Austicman said:

I picked up a 1998 V6 Audi Quattro nice and cheap. Very happy with it so far. Lots of fun on tarmac and the dirt :D
    photo Audi_zps14d00235.jpg

As long as it's Quattro, it's awesome!

(I miss winter/Snow driving)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This video is fucking insane and could only be pulled off in Mexico. Technically it's not a car, but any auto enthusist will appreciate the skill level of Ballistic BJ Baldwins driving ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY
  • Options
    Saw this in Halifax this week:

• Options
    Jason P said:

This video is fucking insane and could only be pulled off in Mexico. Technically it's not a car, but any auto enthusist will appreciate the skill level of Ballistic BJ Baldwins driving ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY

That is pretty sweet.

I want one.
  • Options
    Welp...that was short lived.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Is that the 348 you snapped earlier? Looks like the rain/wet road may of caught him out?
  • Options
    It is the same car, yeah. Not sure what happened. Someone I spoke with who was close behind said it barely started raining at the time, and there may have been another car involved.
    Who knows!
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    edited September 2014
    Imagine being the guy that stacked a Ferrari. Ouch

Gave Zee Quattro a spit and polish
    photo audiq1_zps19eb97b6.jpg

photo audi8_zps841c1274.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    Austicman said:

Imagine being the guy that stacked a Ferrari. Ouch

Gave Zee Quattro a spit and polish
    photo audiq1_zps19eb97b6.jpg

photo audi8_zps841c1274.jpg

Looking sharp!
    I gave my own some elbow work this week too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice mileage on this one! I think I will be checking it out.
    Mazdaspeed3
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,528
    Jason P said:

yeah...the "skill level of (the) driving".....yeah, that's what I appreciate!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Nice mileage on this one! I think I will be checking it out.
    Mazdaspeed3

Do it! lmao!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I posted this before - I think it may fit in here - just thought I'd share again as it's quite interesting - seen this in MI. Lol.

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

I posted this before - I think it may fit in here - just thought I'd share again as it's quite interesting - seen this in MI. Lol.

Hmmm, get some interior shots next time hahahh. What did the driver look like? I'm incredibly curious.

One day, I'd like to buy a car to just 'Customize'...

My dreams vehicles for that are a 911 Turbo, 90s NSX and a Honda Odyssey ((mini van)