Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    So Canada will be getting the 'baby' McLaren. The 540c (Skipping the U.S. Market)

U.S. gets the model up, 570S (subtle differences, but significantly more sporty. I need it in my life)

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Fun! But not good!
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Fun! But not good!

Fun sometimes is..not good. lmao.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    edit
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Interesting this thread is bumped today. My husband got his Camaro back just this afternoon after it was badly sideswiped a couple of weeks ago. First the shop took it back to Progressive's location and my guy said to return it to the garage so he could have it lifted and see what was done. Gets back to the place and the front bumper and grill were out of whack.

How the fuck do you say "hey, it's good to go!" when it's not? They fixed those things while he waited, but sheesh.

The place got great reviews, too. Looks like the work was well-done except for this..."oversight".

Side question - have any of you ever filed a diminished value claim when an accident was 0% your fault?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Did you have gap insurance?
  • Options
    I just looked it up and it appears applicable only to leased or financed cars - he paid his off about a year ago.
  • Options
    Was there a big differential between book value and costs to repair?

Did this Ironically happen the same week,day,time that we were posting up Camaro pics a couple weeks ago?

• Options
    I didn't see the Camaro pics! But yeah, it happened on 7/23. $5,000 in repairs both inside and out. The accident itself devalued it.

But oh man, is he happy to have his baby back :)
  • Options
    Saw this today:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I didn't see the Camaro pics! But yeah, it happened on 7/23. $5,000 in repairs both inside and out. The accident itself devalued it.

But oh man, is he happy to have his baby back :)

Sorry Hedo,I thought it was you who we were discussing my beefed up Camaro from HS and I posted a pic of what it looked like.

• Options
    You're right. Me and my memory :blush:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

You're right. Me and my memory :blush:

I'm glad it wasn't one of my other Redhead friends from Cali ,who's husband owned a Camaro that I talk to on a regular basis.Thought maybe it was me and I need to lay off the ole pipe .lol
  • Options
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My 2008 RAV is burning oil. She shouldn't be. I only have 80,000 miles. We've known this for about a year. We always go to the dealer for oil changes because, let's face it, there is a recall almost every time I go. I mentioned the low oil to the service person today. They checked. It is burning a large amount of oil and Toyota, at their expense, will be replacing the pistons and rings. They'll have the truck for 3 days and will be giving me a loaner while they have it. The motors that they put into a few years of RAVs and a few other models burn oil. They extended the warranty while they figured out what to do. It will take a month - a month and a half for the parts to arrive since they have to order by VIN. I'm glad that they are standing behind their product.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Idiot La Ferrari driver in Beverly Hills after driving 80 mph through a cross walk. It appears karma was returned in form of a blown engine. When a reporter approached him, he pulled the ol' "Diplomatic Immunity" card and flicking a smoke at the reporter and threatening to have him killed.

Plates are registered to Qatari royalty

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
    ^^^ What an ass hat!! Thankfully it wasn't this guy....

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I need to make room for a new Toy..I gotta sell this. I honestly don't mind cutting a great deal to a a fellow Pj Fan that loves cars.

44k on it. Runs like a gem, Paint is top notch, fully serviced blah blah PJ fan promise. Its an awesome ride. I will miss it, even if I have a Ferrari coming up :bee:

(PM me for details)

• Options
    edited April 2016
    edit,
  • Options
    Check out this stupid looking LaFerrari watch that they sold a few years back for $300,000 ...

I'm not sure I would wear that in public if they gave it to me for free. That looks like a prize you would win at Chuck e Cheese
  • Options
    You'd wear it and you know it!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited January 2017
    Continental ContiProContacts are the worst fucking tires ever made. Complete junk on any non dry surface, and about 70% junk on dry. They also get better gas mileage if they're under inflated. How the hell does that make any sense?

EDIT: ContiTouringContacts
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989
    What vehicle do you have them on?

I have the Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus on my car and they have been awesome.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

What vehicle do you have them on?

I have the Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus on my car and they have been awesome.

I might look into a set of those. Great ratings and they're $25 less per tire than the CTC's. Not that I'd buy the CTC's again.
    I have a 2015 Focus. Bought it brand new and they were the OE tires. A year ago this weekend exactly, I couldn't get up my street in half an inch of snow. Only had ~5k miles at the time. This past December I couldn't come to a stop going 5 mph down a short hill in yet another half inch of snow. Luckily it was 6am on a Sunday and there was no traffic bc I had no choice but to run right thru a 3-way intersection. I'd pump the brakes and the tires would just jump all over the place. Two weeks ago in yet another half inch of snow, I couldn't even get out of my parking lot, which is relatively flat. And it's not like I don't know how to drive in snow, I've been doing it every winter for 24 years without incident. And I hydroplane all the time when it rains.
    About a month ago my TPMS light went off so I inflated them back up to the recommended 36psi (they were all at 29) and I've been getting about 80-100 miles less on a tank of gas ever since. That's pretty damn significant loss on a 12gal tank! (And I have the 1.0L Ecoboost engine to boot).
    I've heard and read good things about many other Continental tire models, but these are just trash. Terrible ratings on Tirerack. Why a car company would put such terrible, unsafe tires on a brand new vehicle leaves me scratching my head. I'm trying to get thru this winter and save up to buy new tires in the fall. I just recently passed 17k miles and just can't fathom buying a new set already, but they render my car unsafe to drive in anything other than dry conditions.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989
    Wow. That's a pretty crappy experience.

I replaced Firestone OEMs with the Continental Pure Contacts and they completely transformed the ride and handling of my car.

I'd buy them again.

Have you considered getting a snow tires for the winter months and keeping your current tires for summer?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I've tossed the thought around but I don't really have anywhere to store the spares, and I've always gotten around fine on all-seasons.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    edited January 2018

So my BMW 435i Gran Coupe AWD and its summer tires decided to take the trek up I-65 this weekend to visit family.  5 degrees and blowing snow the entire way.  The snow started to accumulate and the summer tires decided to go sledding.  Did 90 degrees in both directions and got stopped in the middle lane turned sideways. Somehow the traffic lightened up at that moment and gave people behind me enough room to stop.  Drove on the side roads and almost spun out three times and finally ditched the car and had family pick me up for the last 20 miles.   Had all season tires put on the next morning.   For some reason I didn't think they had put summer tires on it.

Lesson:  Don't drive in the snow with summer tires!  #I'mamoron.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Dream car = Mercedes AMG GTC Coupe. 
  • Options
    Dream car = Mercedes AMG GTC Coupe. 
    My dream car in a Nissan GTr...  I wanna go fast.