Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    sick car. congrats and good luck. bmw owner forever! that is one hot machine
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Well "new" car didn't last too long. Threw a few codes this morning, all the same one yet one permanent I can't clear. -10°C, idle was a little erratic, cleared up after a minute of idling. Might have been a little louder on the air side of things under throttle so I might have a bad vacuum line (I hope that's all it is!). The code is for the idle air control valve stuck open, possible causes are the valve flaps stuck open, carbon build up, vacuum line, etc.
    It's going to the dealer on Wednesday already, just going to add this to the list.
    PITA.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Lukin523 said:

sick car. congrats and good luck. bmw owner forever! that is one hot machine

I've been having some fun on my drives! But perhaps not as much in 'stop and go' traffic, the clutch and gearshifts are aggressive.
    -
    Rygar, what's the update? (any?)

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited December 2014
    Not sure you can do anything else on I-4 other than stop and go.lol
    Glad you are enjoying the ride.
  • Options
    Had my software updated yesterday, cruise was ok on an hour drive so looking good. I am doing the same 4+ hour drive in two weeks so that will be the real test!

Codes and behavior haven't come back, so I am thinking some of the rust control product must have been sucked into the intake, maybe onto the MAF to frig er up for a minute.
    Haven't had a morning near as cold since, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rr165892 said:

Not sure you can do anything else on I-4 other than stop and go.lol

Indeed! I've been playing around on some B roads.
    -
    I took the front plate off the car last night, 4 badly drilled holes in bumper and two dents from the front plate being put on too hard.

I could get that 'Euro' plate for the front to cover it, I dunno, I was planning on keeping it free from anything but, oh well.

Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    What'd I say about car pics that aren't your car! I know you haven't been on the Nordschliefe with it already ;)
    How are you liking it?
    I think you should get a Euro plate for it. I want a Japanese plate for my Evo but they're not as easy to find as Euro plates.
  • Options
    I'm also gunna give a vote for the Euro Plate.Customize it.
  • Options
    Yea, I'm really digging the look with the Euro Plate. I did find some license plate plugs for the bumper, they were in my storage unit, I'll install em and see how they look, if it looks off I'll get the plate.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Rygar said:

What'd I say about car pics that aren't your car! I know you haven't been on the Nordschliefe with it already ;)
    How are you liking it?
    I think you should get a Euro plate for it. I want a Japanese plate for my Evo but they're not as easy to find as Euro plates.

Excuse me sir! I posted pics to show the look so I can get feedback from here. 8->

Quite a large selection,

customeuropeanplates.com/

I've seen an evo with a Japanese plate (here in the U.S.) on the front side of the bumper, Looked pretty sweet.

• Options
    New toy alert.Picked up a new work vessel.2015 Tahoe Ltz.Soon to be chipped and have new air intake.
  • Options
    Idris said:

Rygar said:

How are you liking it?

Excuse me sir! I posted pics to show the look so I can get feedback from here. 8->

Quite a large selection,

customeuropeanplates.com/

I've seen an evo with a Japanese plate (here in the U.S.) on the front side of the bumper, Looked pretty sweet.

That's another thing I wish I had, an Evo VI bumper so that the front license plate was off centre instead of blocking the intercooler!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    imagephoto C2C811FE-9914-4028-B9FA-0C615630A192_zpservc3q05.jpg" />
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Tungsten Metallic with the 22" rims.Rides very smooth.May put a suppressor on the 4cyl conversion active drive unit.Any thoughts?
  • Options
    whoa~ That's a big ride playa. Looks like a fantastic cruiser. Like the color too!.

I'd have to drive one in order to give any feedback on any mechanical mods that 'may' be needed. But what you have, V8, around 350HP?

I'd probably leave it at first, see how I like it over a few thousand miles.
  • Options
    Idris wrote: »
    Agreed!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    whoa~ That's a big ride playa. Looks like a fantastic cruiser. Like the color too!.<br />
    <br />
    I'd have to drive one in order to give any feedback on any mechanical mods that 'may' be needed. But what you have, V8, around 350HP? <br />
    <br />

Thanks Guys.That's exactly my thought.Im going to give it a little time before adding any mods that could Impact my warranty.Im not so sure I'm going to need them.As far as color,I couldn't get the package I wanted down here,so I had to have it shipped down the coast from your neck of the woods Idris.Transfered it from a dealer in Winter Haven.

Yes it has the 5.3 L V8 with 355 hp.So good guess.Im finding it a bit peppier than my last Tahoe which was chipped.loving the comfort and the magnetic ride suspension.
    This is my 3rd Tahoe in a row.Great ride for business as Im in that thing all the time.Oh and the PJ on Xm/Sirius sounds great on the 10 speaker surround system cranked loud.
  • Options
    In unrelated car news.My youngest who is at FGCU in Ft.meyers got run off the road today by some ass hole who cut her off while in her Jetta. All ok ,but shredded 3 tires(how did she get 3 I'll never know) and Need 2 new rims.Thank you triple aaa.Daddy didn't need to drive over.Thats a plus.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Wasn't planning on touching the exhaust, but like the rumble of this....thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xDl-PBz7RM

Apparently the Corksport race pipe on the stock exhaust will do much the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVjdCo_eFw
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote: »
    In unrelated car news.My youngest who is at FGCU in Ft.meyers got run off the road today by some ass hole who cut her off while in her Jetta. All ok ,but shredded 3 tires(how did she get 3 I'll never know) and Need 2 new rims.Thank you triple aaa.Daddy didn't need to drive over.Thats a plus.

Whoa! 3? what....

Well, shes alright so, whatever.

AND get a dash camera, seriously. I'm in the process of getting half a dozen of them for friends and family.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote: »
    Wasn't planning on touching the exhaust, but like the rumble of this....thoughts?

ooooohhhhh, RuMbLe! Very Nice.

I'd just worry about that 'highway drone', could get annoying. You know, being at 70mph and everything's just too loud,
  • Options
    Regarding,sounds chunky.I like the Soft rumble on the custom exhaust.bet it sounds real tight while on the road.
  • Options

Whoa! 3? what....

AND get a dash camera, seriously. I'm in the process of getting half a dozen of them for friends and family.

Dash cam.hmmmm She might veto that based on privacy issues.And to be honest I may be better off with my head in the sand.lol
  • Options
    whoa~ That's a big ride playa. Looks like a fantastic cruiser. Like the color too!.<br />
    <br />
    I'd have to drive one in order to give any feedback on any mechanical mods that 'may' be needed. But what you have, V8, around 350HP? <br />
    <br />

Thanks Guys.That's exactly my thought.Im going to give it a little time before adding any mods that could Impact my warranty.Im not so sure I'm going to need them.As far as color,I couldn't get the package I wanted down here,so I had to have it shipped down the coast from your neck of the woods Idris.Transfered it from a dealer in Winter Haven.

Yes it has the 5.3 L V8 with 355 hp.So good guess.Im finding it a bit peppier than my last Tahoe which was chipped.loving the comfort and the magnetic ride suspension.
    This is my 3rd Tahoe in a row.Great ride for business as Im in that thing all the time.Oh and the PJ on Xm/Sirius sounds great on the 10 speaker surround system cranked loud.

3rd? as in 3 generations of Tahoe? They should be asking you for feedback! (or do they already!)

On average I buy a new car every 2.5 years, but Its never been of the same model line. Though I do see myself getting another Honda odyssey, but it won't be in a row.

I have radio and CD in my car, that's it! No USB,AUX,SIRIUS, so just CDs pretty much, radio sucks.
    Gotta burn a nice Pj mix.
  • Options
    Your not rockin an 8track are you Idris.Cmon man!!! You gotta get Sirius.You really are missing out.for less then one proper detailing it could be yours.
    Yes,3 generations 1st was a 06 z71 4wd.Tranny sucked.Would randomly shift into 4wd and was a pain.Pit 236,000 miles on that one.Then got the "new style "in 2011 great vessel.Durable and like I said I chipped it and modified it.And now the 2015.
    It was either this or a new X5 m package with the fat tires but In the end the Tahoe had more space.
  • Options
    My daughter came home today with her new ghetto fab Jetta.The tires and rims were replaced but she needs 2new hub caps also.And she didn't tell me there was light shroud damage and a little front left Quarter panel damage.Must been a big ass curb.
  • Options
    Your not rockin an 8track are you Idris.Cmon man!!! You gotta get Sirius.You really are missing out.for less then one proper detailing it could be yours.
    Yes,3 generations 1st was a 06 z71 4wd.Tranny sucked.Would randomly shift into 4wd and was a pain.Pit 236,000 miles on that one.Then got the "new style "in 2011 great vessel.Durable and like I said I chipped it and modified it.And now the 2015.
    It was either this or a new X5 m package with the fat tires but In the end the Tahoe had more space.

X5M package or X5M? as in M ?

I ordered an AUX kit that I'll install when it arrives, its on back order now.

I like American trucks, and I love a Corvette, it was one of the first cars I drove as a teen.
  • Options

Whoa! 3? what....

Dash cam.hmmmm She might veto that based on privacy issues.And to be honest I may be better off with my head in the sand.lol

No NO! It's good protection against others motorists (and the Police). You can save and delete as you please, cut sound on/off.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote: »

ooooohhhhh, RuMbLe! Very Nice.

I'd just worry about that 'highway drone', could get annoying. You know, being at 70mph and everything's just too loud,

Yeah you don't want to overdo it. The Evo isn't too too bad at highway speeds and this sounds lower and not as loud as that :P