Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I agree with rr165892 on the title.

@hedonist - I wanted one. All I can really say is consider the back seats useless, expect a fun-to-drive but not a fast car, and the only issue I remember reading about was condensation collecting in the rear tail lights, which there may have been a warranty recall for so likely solved for newer models.

Check out some of the FR-S/BRZ forums for reviews, common issues, etc.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah, thank you for the heads-up on the issues (the back seats in my current car have been rarely used to begin with!). I hope the pick-up is at least reliable; gotta say with mine it's been great for bypassing others when needed. Definitely want that in a new car.

Will check out the forums as well.

And rr, if I do get this one, I've already decided on asphalt!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

Ah, thank you for the heads-up on the issues (the back seats in my current car have been rarely used to begin with!). I hope the pick-up is at least reliable; gotta say with mine it's been great for bypassing others when needed. Definitely want that in a new car.

Will check out the forums as well.

And rr, if I do get this one, I've already decided on asphalt!

Great minds Hedo.lol
  • Options
    How did the safety testing with the Scion rate???
  • Options
    Doesn't sound to be overly peppy. 200 HP is respectable but there are much faster cars. Best bet? Test drive :)
  • Options
    Anyone see Pirelli is being sold to the Chinese for an estimated 7.7 billion?
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Doesn't sound to be overly peppy. 200 HP is respectable but there are much faster cars. Best bet? Test drive :)

Absolutely gonna test-drive that thing!

Safety tests seem to be alright as well.

As to HP, the husband gave me a "pffft", then flaunted again the power of his Camaro :angry:
    =)

• Options
    hedonist said:

Rygar said:

Absolutely gonna test-drive that thing!

Safety tests seem to be alright as well.

As to HP, the husband gave me a "pffft", then flaunted again the power of his Camaro :angry:
    =)

That's why you need to head over to the BMW dealer and bring home a little surprise something that will make him rethink the "power of his Camaro".lol

I kid,I've owned a few Camaros and I loved them.
  • Options
    Just get an Evo and be done with it :)
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    hedonist said:

So, to my car-loving friends here...getting ready to trade in my '97 Integra for a 2015 Scion FR-S.

Do any of you have experience or words of wisdom to share on this make/model?

I see them quite often, most of the time heavily tuned, a buddy of mine bought one and within week put in another 6k in exhaust/suspension etc Fun cars

a little comparo (Chris Harris from Drive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhLXvxlQR4

• Options
    I love the comparison vid - watched one earlier of the Scion vs. Hyundai Genesis coupe (seems a bit too beefy for me, much like why I decided to forgo the Challenger *sob*)

I want an Evo!!
  • Options
    I love my Evo, it's getting quite a cash infusion this spring!

I think the Scion looks like a lot of fun to drive. So much so that you'd probably forget about the 200 hp.
  • Options
    Rygar said:

I think the Scion looks like a lot of fun to drive. So much so that you'd probably forget about the 200 hp.

Do you track your evo?
    -
    I had an Acura RSX TypeS, 200hp. Enjoyed every minute with that car, its definitely not always about power, my Mini Cooper S has 170hp? (I think), tons of fun.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,528
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Idris said:

Rygar said:

Do you track your evo?
    -
    I had an Acura RSX TypeS, 200hp. Enjoyed every minute with that car, its definitely not always about power, my Mini Cooper S has 170hp? (I think), tons of fun.
    Had an old civic back in the day,manual.One of the most fun cars to drive.Peppy.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Idris said:

Rygar said:

Do you track your evo?
    -
    No, but if I get the engine issues it suffers from solved this year I will be considering it (there is a boost leak that I am having trouble finding, or it just needs to be tuned, and I've found a tuner who will do it via email so here's hoping).

I know how much power my Mazdaspeed is putting down, but the Evo has loads more juice, no comparison.

And I completely agree with your point on the power vs drive. That's why I was still interested in the Scion :)
    Maybe someday anyway! The RSX was a car I had an interest in back in the day as well!
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • Options
    New Civic looks awesome, IMO!
    usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/01/honda-civic-new-york/70780754/

They only mention an auto and a cvt for their turbocharged model, hope that doesn't mean it isn't getting a manual version...
  • Options
    Rygar said:

New Civic looks awesome, IMO!
    usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/01/honda-civic-new-york/70780754/

They only mention an auto and a cvt for their turbocharged model, hope that doesn't mean it isn't getting a manual version...

Honda is bringing the Type-R state side! Ahhhh! I want!
  • Options
    I'M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR.

Have had her for three weeks and finally let loose on the freeway today.

Whoa!

We took the 10 down to PCH and had a blast. Feels so secure in both control and comfort. Didn't even feel like we were going 75 and I had to check myself. Don't need to get a moving violation after years without.

Oh, and the husband took the wheel from PCH up Sunset back home in manual mode (haven't tried that yet myself but as a passenger? Felt great...beefier, if that makes sense). I think he loves driving this more than his Camaro (and that says a lot).

Two things -

One, a dude in a fucking sexygorgeous Maserati complimented the FRS (love their similar curves) - and two, someone in a really nice new Mustang tried to "challenge" us in the banked areas of Sunset. It couldn't take the curves and kept braking. We weren't racing with him but blew him away =)

Among the best decisions I've ever made - the machine of a dream!
  • Options
    Awesome!
    Gotta love when someone only challenges you because they have more power ;)
    Although I don't condone street racing...
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Awesome!
    Gotta love when someone only challenges you because they have more power ;)
    Although I don't condone street racing...

No, me neither! There've been so many - too many - crashes here lately due to racing. Really bad ones.

I hope some local tracks will be built so those who want / need to can get their automotive ya-ya's out, safely and off the street.
  • Options
    Way to really get a feel for it Hedo.Have you named her yet?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Falling more in love with each drive! But no name...I just call her "her" or "she" =)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Falling more in love with each drive! But no name...I just call her "her" or "she" =)
    Gotcha, she's a no name sexy bitch.Flaunting her speed and lines for all of So Cal to see.Sooo Hollywood.Lol
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,528
    I changed my oil yesterday....didn't spill a drop.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

I changed my oil yesterday....didn't spill a drop.

so your bragging?
  • Options
    Wellsir, I know what receiving a PIT maneuver (not by the police) feels like now!

• Options
    Owww. How'd that happen?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    Bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude a couple weeks ago. So glad Jeep brought back the regular Cherokees....the Patriot and Compass were pretty rough. My first time with a brand new car....it's pretty sweet.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Owww. How'd that happen?

Some poor girl changed lanes without looking.