Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    callen said:

Rygar. Really freakin cool. and if you even just get 8hp worth it.

Thanks! I'm really itching to get it out of storage....
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    callen said:

Idris said:

callen said:

Like the gt3 but take cheaper fully loaded turbo

I love the 911 Turbo! Was my dream car as a kid (that or any mid engined Ferrari)

The current (new) 911 Turbo retails for 150k and 180k in S form, GT3 130k.

Remember/seen the movie Bad Boys?...The black 911 Turbo? That generation and the one right after were my favorites.

Car and driver did recent run down of 911 lineage. Changes through years, prices, performance. Haven't driven one and having engine out back sure it takes a bit getting used to.
    I'll have to check that car and driver out, what month/issue?

I've driven 2 different generation of 911's out, they have an incredibly unique feel to them, you can feel the weight behind the car around a corner, The gear shifts were stunning, they just locked into place, sooooo satisfying! A great feeling, the brakes were hard, but accurate.

But I must admit, the Porsche Boxster drove better (to me). That car felt like a extension of myself. If I had no idea about these cars and drove the boxster and 911 back to back, I'd come away thinking the Boxster is the more expensive car, just cause the drive was 'better' than in the 911.

Yet, because of it's history, I'd pick the 911.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Koenigsegg 1 Hypercar.

Koenigsegg engineers can dial output as high as 1,341 horsepower (1,360 horsepower in metric figures). Peak torque, meanwhile, is an equally incredible 1,011 pound-feet.

It can achieve 737 pound-feet torque from under 3,000 rpm and maintain that level all the way up to 7,800 rpm

Read more: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091213_new-episode-of-inside-koenigsegg-looks-at-the-one1s-engine-video#ixzz2xlFCqscK

that is nuts!

hmmmm, power aside, I'd buy (if I had the ability) a handful of cars before I bought the Koenigsegg. Starting with the Pagani Huayra (in Blue or the Carbon Fibre unpainted body)

• Options
    I think I'm going to get the 2015 WRX. Perhaps not the most pretty car around, but great awd and enough power for around town.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    How much is a WRX going for?

I've been thinking about getting a used souped up Mini.
  • Options
    starting at 26k, loaded around 32k. I currently drive a Mini S, really fun car, but have had a few tech issues with it. But all repairs were done under warranty. So all is well.
  • Options
    I like the WRX but I could never buy one. My arch nemesis, Bizarro Jason P, had one in the past.

• Options
    Jason P said:

I like the WRX but I could never buy one. My arch nemesis, Bizarro Jason P, had one in the past.

damn that's powerful.
  • Options
    Idris said:

Jason P said:

damn that's powerful.
    It's some serious Seinfeld type shit. I was ready to buy one ten years ago and then he showed up at work with one ... It's like he stole the name Seven.
  • Options
    So...'Seven' was gone, did you then end up with 'Soda'?
  • Options
    Idris said:

Kinda ... Went with a BMW 3 series. Fun car. Had tech issues with it too that were covered under warranty.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Jason P said:

Idris said:

Kinda ... Went with a BMW 3 series. Fun car. Had tech issues with it too that were covered under warranty.
    hmmm, 10 years ago...

That was the best (more recent generation) of BMW, 330i, great car, and of course the e46 M3...I was very naughty with mine.

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Enjoyed a nice cruise into work today with my 2007 350z roadster, top down of course
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    johnson
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Got to test drive the WRX today, car felt compliant, stable, good driving feel.

Interior was kinda poorly done, cheap materials etc.

Nevertheless, its the AWD and general good driving nature which are the selling points (I feel anyway)
  • Options
    Idris said:

Nevertheless, its the AWD and general good driving nature which are the selling points (I feel anyway)

That sucks about the interior though. Not really any excuse for that, at that price.
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Idris said:

That sucks about the interior though. Not really any excuse for that, at that price.
    ya, was thinking about it tday, its disappointing Subaru didn't just charge another 500-1000 and upgrade the interior.

Not that its like the worst thing ever, and apparently its strides better than previous gens, but still lags behind lets say, Honda, Mazda,mini and VW all of who make nice/better interiors.

I did like the wheel of the WRX, good feel, but everything else is mainly cheap feeling plastics.

I really dunno what else to look at in the range, I may end up just getn an accord!
  • Options
    Well what are your must-haves?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I bought a new 2003 Subaru WRX when it first came out. Man I loved that car. I kept it until about 88K miles and sold it. Great re-sale price too. My only problem was the gas gauge failed at some point. I dont recall it being expensive. Oh and also nearly all the paint randomly chipped off the hood air intake. That was weird. I saw it on other wrx's too. I had it painted for about $100 and it looked fine. The interior was kinda cheap back then too. But I do believe that all wheel drive saved me from 2 major accidents. The car handles very nicely.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Well what are your must-haves?

The only kinda Luxury/safety item/s/options I'm looking for In a car are leather seats and HID/LED headlights. (and other basics, cruise, air con etc)

otherwise the car should just be decent on gas, fun to drive and comfortable etc.

Under 30k would be ideal.

• Options
    edited July 2014

I bought a new 2003 Subaru WRX when it first came out. Man I loved that car. I kept it until about 88K miles and sold it. Great re-sale price too. My only problem was the gas gauge failed at some point. I dont recall it being expensive. Oh and also nearly all the paint randomly chipped off the hood air intake. That was weird. I saw it on other wrx's too. I had it painted for about $100 and it looked fine. The interior was kinda cheap back then too. But I do believe that all wheel drive saved me from 2 major accidents. The car handles very nicely.

That was a great generation for WRX! Much respect!

The AWD is a turn on for me, and the re-sale on Subaru vehicles is for sure a major plus.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Check out stuff like the BRZ, FRS, Mazdaspeed3, Ralliart Lancer and Focus ST ;)
    (granted two of those are over the 30k limit)
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Check out stuff like the BRZ, FRS, Mazdaspeed3, Ralliart Lancer and Focus ST ;)
    (granted two of those are over the 30k limit)

I had a quick look at the BRZ/FRS the other day. I like it, but would prefer a car with a bit more room /space (in the back).

I picked up the current generation MazdaSpeed3 when it came out 4/5 years ago, great fun car, built well, looking forward to see what Mazda does to the next gen (I hear AWD)

Focus ST, I dunno if I want a ford! As good as that little car seems to be.

I checked the Ralliart Lancer website, looks good, I know a bit about it, but figure I rather get the WRX, it being a 'new generation' and I think re-sale will be better? (I plan on keeping the car for under 3 years), Though I bet I can get a great deal on the Mitsu, I may have to give it a better look.

• Options
    The only thing I don't like about the Ralliart is that it is paddle shifter only, no manual :/
  • Options
    Rygar said:

The only thing I don't like about the Ralliart is that it is paddle shifter only, no manual :/

booooooo! As much as I sometimes like paddles, manuals are still my preference. So the Mitsubishi is officially out.

New 2015 GTI is kinda tempting me with it sweet interior and (based on reviews) slick 6spd manual.

but 30k for a VW gti, not too sure about that.
  • Options
    Decided to go with the WRX, unless that changes in the next month or 2, :)

I'm liking this color

• Options
    The Stivo, lol. Look at that Evo front end!

I like the colour but it is pretty safe ;)
  • Options
    I really like the blue too, but maybe it's a bit too flashy for me!

• Options
    I like the blue, it's got Subaru written all over it but will definitely be the most common colour going.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Its kinda flashy with the gold rims... but I had the blue one and silver rims, and it was a tad less flashy. I really dig the blue though. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)