Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    woah, Im listening to this boot....its called Atlanta 94.

its SUPER GOOD.

:)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    Vancouver 98

my first show
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,416
    CharlieP wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    athens greece.....man I wish they would play marker in the sand more often. kick ass song!!!

This was actually a great show. I was there. But I remember the boot quickly being bashed due to a screaming girl in the audience. She ruins one, maybe two songs on the boot, yes, but it still is a great show! And Marker does indeed kick ass. My girlfriends favourite PJ song, by the way!

:D Unfortunately, we were skipped again. Eight years... :crazy: :roll:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,958
    woah, Im listening to this boot....its called Atlanta 94.

its SUPER GOOD.

:)
    Never heard of this show. Is it any good?
    Re listening to Brooklyn 1, oceans sounds fantastic. I m really living yellow moon and indifference as a closer is perfect.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Brooklyn I-II 2013!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,353
    buffalo
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Thanks for the critiques on the new boots. I already bought Pittsburgh, probably going with the following too:

Philly 1
    C'ville
    Phoenix
    LA2
    Oakland
    Spokane
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    Atlantic City II 2005
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Brooklyn I 2013 Audience Recording
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Buffalo 13.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Rio 2011. Enjoying it tremendously. A boot that has grew on me with time.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Rio 2011. Enjoying it tremendously. A boot that has grew on me with time.

I've heard nothing but great things about this boot and it's always been one of the ones at the top of the list to buy next.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,353
    Lubbock 00
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Pittsburgh '13

Opening show of the Lightning Bolt tour.

It's a new song to open the show - Pendulum. This really builds and slows very good live, especially on first performance. Of The Girl kicks in straight away after Pendulum and again is sounding fantastic. Nothingman continues the slow tempo. Lightning Bolt is the next new song to be played, the little extended intro is cool and as a whole the song translates well live. Mind Your Manners however does not. The intro is jumbled and messy and it doesn't really get any better IMO. Next up is Animal and again this sounds on fire. There is a nice Yield segment - Given To Fly/Untitled/MFC/Faithfull. Sirens then gets it's live debut, for me it kinda worked - certainly the first part & solo but the latter part from when Ed takes over on the acoustic guitar to the end didn't really sound too good. Further down the main set it's another two from LB getting their debut - Infallible and Let The Records Play. Again I was quite impressed with how they sounded live. Rearviewmirror closes the main set.

The first encore begins with Speed Of Sound - first time played since Hartford '10 and definitely the best performance the guys have given for this song. Yellow Moon is another new one and of the LB songs played here probably the best of the night. Footsteps is sublime and then Ed brings out Jason Grilli from the Pittsburgh Pirates who sounds incredibly drunk and gives a rousing speech! The guys then launch into Whipping, which is played for the first time since Sao Paulo I '11. Porch closes the encore.

The second encore opens with Black, is followed by Alive and then Rockin' In The Free World - some excellent guitar work by Stone and Yellow Ledbetter closes the show.

A decent opening night of the tour.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    boyo79 wrote:
    Pittsburgh '13

It's a new song to open the show - Pendulum. This really builds and slows very good live, especially on first performance. Of The Girl kicks in straight away after Pendulum and again is sounding fantastic. Nothingman continues the slow tempo. Lightning Bolt is the next new song to be played, the little extended intro is cool and as a whole the song translates well live. Mind Your Manners however does not. The intro is jumbled and messy and it doesn't really get any better IMO. Next up is Animal and again this sounds on fire. There is a nice Yield segment - Given To Fly/Untitled/MFC/Faithfull. Sirens then gets it's live debut, for me it kinda worked - certainly the first part & solo but the latter part from when Ed takes over on the acoustic guitar to the end didn't really sound too good. Further down the main set it's another two from LB getting their debut - Infallible and Let The Records Play. Again I was quite impressed with how they sounded live. Rearviewmirror closes the main set.

The first encore begins with Speed Of Sound - first time played since Hartford '10 and definitely the best performance the guys have given for this song. Yellow Moon is another new one and of the LB songs played here probably the best of the night. Footsteps is sublime and then Ed brings out Jason Grilli from the Pittsburgh Pirates who sounds incredibly drunk and gives a rousing speech! The guys then launch into Whipping, which is played for the first time since Sao Paulo I '11. Porch closes the encore.

The second encore opens with Black, is followed by Alive and then Rockin' In The Free World - some excellent guitar work by Stone and Yellow Ledbetter closes the show.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
    Good that you finally started with 2013 tour reviews. Looking forward to see your update on up next Buffalo, too.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Pittsburgh '13

Great review and spot on. I particularly agree with how well most of the LB songs worked live (infallible, pendulum, records play, lightning bolt, yellow moon, and sirens for the most part). Although mind your manners did sound very rough.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Glendale 2013

New and improved Mike guitar solo on the BOLT.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Rio 2011

The opening four songs, Unthought Known-Last Exit-Blood-Corduroy, are just killer. A solid version of Unthought opens to build tension with the enthusiastic crowd clapping and singing. Ed screams his ass off at the end of Last Exit and then does it again in Blood. Although I wouldn’t call them the best versions, the takes on Last Exit and Blood here are about as hard rocking as I have heard. Another above average version here is Even Flow. As often as I hear it, when the solo kicks in I find myself grooving like no other. Mike’s solos are nice and just hearing Stone keep up that riff in my right ear sounds so good with headphones. Faithfull and Habit are a little off sounding, mostly on the part of Stone and Mike. Why Go sounds particularly energetic after Small Town, the two work together well. Ed fumbles the majority of the first verse in RVM. The first encore, basically, in its entirety, sounds fantastic and flows wonderfully. One of the tightest versions of State of Love and Trust I have heard in a while. Of the Earth is a nice treat that rarely appears. Although I personally find the second encore a bit to be desired, many others will enjoy it. There are solid versions of Mother and RITFW, but once again Ed forgets a huge chunk of the first verse in Indifference.

A pretty great boot as a whole with just your few typical fumbles here and there. Ed’s voice kicks ass on this (be it with a few pops and squeaks to be expected). The boot sounds incredible, it is mixed very well. The crowd is loud and active, and overall the band puts on a hell of a show. The 2011 South America tour overall is hard to beat, many great shows in that leg and this Rio boot is no exception. Recommended highly.

• Options
    Philly 1 2013

Pendulum sounds nice for the most part, although it may be nitpicky, Ed and Matt are putting a little too much into the outro vocally. It sounds forced, which is unusual. Long Road is absolutely beautiful though. Low Light is just slightly off, Ed opens the song incorrectly and towards the end the band almost gets off time. It is not too noticeable though, and Ed’s vocals are top notch. Why Go tonight is the best version of the tour up to this point; very energetic, tight. Mind Your Manners is still just too damn fast and sounds awkward live as a result. Brain of J is a decent version, but Animal and Pilate sound just OK. I don’t know when Ed forgot how to sing Animal but there hasn’t been a great version since basically 2011. It seems like he is trying to sing it too high and over does it. Ed significantly screws up Infallible lyrically. I Got Shit is a treat and sounds great, and is a really good version of the song. Wishlist directly follows, and the two sound better paired than I thought they would. Like Infallible, Ed forgets where he is in the song during Sirens and it’s quite noticeable. Let the Records Play is one of the best versions of the tour so far. It’s got a greater sense of energy and tightness than the usual. It’s paired with Spin the Black Circle, and as Ed says, “This one is about the same goddamn thing!” The two together makes for a very energetic and exciting section to help end the main set. An average take on RVM ends the main set in a decent fashion following those two hard rockers.

Encore 1 opens with a slightly rusty sounding Man of the Hour. It’s not as good as the version in Worcester 1 but Ed’s voice is so powerful and emotional it’s hard not to enjoy. Off He Goes-Yellow Moon-Mother sound just about perfect and go together nicely. Half Full sounds relaxed and jammy. Ed mumbles through the beginning of the first pre chorus in Leash and overall it’s not the powerhouse version that is found on Worcester 1. I Believe in Miracles doesn’t seem to pack the punch that it normally does. Stone cannot seem to find the right groove. Crazy Mary sounds quite good here, the jam between Mike and Boom is thrilling to say the least. A good version of Sonic Reducer has yet to come out of the 2013 tour; Ed forgets the words to the second verse. A decent version of Indifference closes.

In the end, I have been listening to A LOT of bootlegs recently; mostly from the last three tours (’11, ’12, and ’13). And while I am enjoying the 2013 boots for their really good audio mixing and energy, 2013 tour has not been the band’s best. Overall, Ed struggled this tour musically to get the words right. I think his vocals are still fairly solid and competent. I can handle the typical few screw ups (roughly an average of 4-6 a show) but every show so far, the first 7 of the tour, has either been good/average or kind of rough. Philly 1 finds itself somewhere between those two ends, probably closer to the kind of rough section. It is better than Buffalo and Brooklyn 1, but doesn’t have the energy or flow that Worcester 1, Brooklyn 2, and Pittsburgh had. I’m hoping leg 2 fixes this sloppiness of leg 1. To be clear, these shows are not bad and are still full of energy and mostly professional performances. They just are not up to the standard that the last tour in Europe produced, and even the 3 US 2012 boots are far better. But to end on a positive note, this bootleg is really nicely mixed and is the best sounding boot out of 2013 so far. The guitars have a bit more crunch and body, the mix has excellent clarity, and Matt’s drums sound so rich and crisp.

• Options
    Here is my subjective ranking of the first 7 2013 bootlegs. Gonna listen to Philly 2 very soon. I've heard the first half of the main set and enjoyed it a lot, so my hopes are high.

Best to least impressive:
    Pittsburgh
    Brooklyn 2- very close to Pitts
    Worcester 1
    Philly 1
    Worcester 2
    Brooklyn 1
    Buffalo

• Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    Pittsburgh '13

:thumbup: :thumbup:
    Good that you finally started with 2013 tour reviews. Looking forward to see your update on up next Buffalo, too.

Thanks, having finished on the US leg of the 2003 tour now I should be able to get in a few of the 2013 NA tour boots now :)
    Great review and spot on. I particularly agree with how well most of the LB songs worked live (infallible, pendulum, records play, lightning bolt, yellow moon, and sirens for the most part). Although mind your manners did sound very rough.

Mind Your Manners was awful, 3 minutes of terrible noise! Hopefully they managed to get it sounding better throughout the tour.

• Options
    Buffalo '13

Pendulum opens for the 2nd show in a row, I think here it edges the Pittsburgh one. Love Matt's drum at the end of the song. Low Light and Sometimes continue the low tempo start. Corduroy is next and then it's the double header of Lightning Bolt and Mind Your Manners. MYM here is definitely better than the Pittsburgh performance but still not great. Immortality is quality, the alternate intro just perfect. My Father's Son is given its debut but the band need a second stab at the song to get it right. After the bridge, Boom adds keys til the end of the song and to be honest it's unnecessary and doesn't do the song any good. After Even Flow, it's Swallowed Whole's turn to be debuted. Sirens doesn't really do much here for me and there isn't really much flow between Swallowed Whole/SIrens/Once/Comatose. Once is another where the intro needs a 2nd take. The rest of the main set flows alot better - I Got ID/Infallible/Present Tense/State Of Love And Trust/Porch.

The first encore begins with a good Off He Goes and is followed by Yellow Moon which again sounds good live. Future Days is debuted for the tour and is ok. Next up is Small Town played to the fans behind the stage. Usually this is reserved for Last Kiss and they would be better keeping it for Last Kiss - the drums and guitar towards the end of Small Town just sound terrible. It's not a good performance on the boot. Rats however makes up for it, sounding better than ever. Rearviewmirror closes the encore.

The second encore begins with Go, dedicated to Vincent Gallo. Alive is next and the singalong from the crowd in Baba O'RIley is fantastic. The gig is completed by Indifference, Ed telling the crowd at the end "here's to everybody in the front, here's to everyone in the back, thanks too every-fuckin-body".

There is a few slipups throughout the show but I enjoyed this probably the same amount as Pittsburgh. Another decent show.

• Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Brooklyn 2
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    chauncechaunce wilkes-barre, pa Posts: 54
    p A r i S -2000.
  • Options
    Worcester I '13

Pendulum is given the night off from opening, so it's back to normal and Release opens the show - IMO the perfect opener. Long Road is next (2nd best opener?). Small Town is next and then the Lightning Bolt/Mind Your Manners combo - best version of MYM yet. The guitar work on Hail Hail sounds pretty low here but that's fixed for the next 3 songs - it's a Mike-fest; Sirens, Even Flow and Nothing As It Seems. Swallowed Whole sounds good and it's good to see Red Mosquito in the set - Ed asking the crowd "you wanna hear Red Mosquito?". It's not the best version by any stretch but still good. As soon as Red Mosquito ends, you can hear one of the guys (Stone I think) shout "play Whipping next", so they do and Corduroy is after that. Infallible doesn't sound right here, sounds off midway through. After a little amusing story from Ed about a cop attempting to rip a polaroid up in his face - "ever tried to rip a polaroid?!?!" - the guys launch into Leash and for me, it's sounding great here; best I've heard in a few years. The speed of it is actually back to normal rather than speeded up and it makes the song sound even better. Next up is Let The Records Play and this really works live. Evolution - minus the 'oh oh oh' - and Betterman close the main set.

First encore begins with Man Of The Hour, which I admit (can't believe it) kinda passed me by. Yellow Moon again sounds great. Fatal is played for only the 5th time ever and Just Breathe gets it's first appearance of the tour. A brutal Porch - the jam between the guys and the guitar work phenomenal - ends the encore. The second encore begins with the band playing Last Kiss to crowd behind the stage. There's great solo battles between Mike and Boom on Crazy Mary. Alive is next and what else can be said about Alive, it's always fantastic. Sonic Reducer follows before Indifference closes for the 2nd show in a row.

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Brooklyn 1 this AM
    Philly 1 now
    Brooklyn 2 tomorrow
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Worcester 1

Up to red mosquito and it's a lot better a show than buffalo. So far I'd say it's on par with Pittsburgh. Ed sounds much better than he did in buffalo, thank goodness. You can tell they are still getting in the groove of things being only the 3rd show, but it's not quite what I'd call sloppy. Buffalo was sloppy.

Btw, is it just me or are the guys starting to slow many songs back down to near proper studio speed?

Listened to this one yesterday. I haven't heard buffalo yet but honestly thought Worcester 1 was a bit rough around the edges. Was Ed sick at this time? I think he might have been but can't remember. He seemed to struggle to reach up to some of those notes especially on sirens and infallible.

Wow, I agree. After Pittsburgh and Buffalo, where Ed sounded incredibly healthy and strong (Sorry TamaDrummer to contradict you), this one came like one of those 2008 boots where you feel Ed struggling to keep up and you'd be like "damn".

But that's just the start. Ed has this incredible ability to come back very strongly. He did it last year in Berlin. After a weak start in Berlin 1, in Berlin 2nd day, he was sounding like he could sing until the daylight without a breathe.

So he recovers well during the show after this weak start. So I agree there might have been some illness that was withholding him at start. Perhaps, he wasn't sure at the beginning how long his voice could hold but then he got rid of his concerns as the show went by.

2013 boots are great.

• Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    Worcester 1

Up to red mosquito and it's a lot better a show than buffalo. So far I'd say it's on par with Pittsburgh. Ed sounds much better than he did in buffalo, thank goodness. You can tell they are still getting in the groove of things being only the 3rd show, but it's not quite what I'd call sloppy. Buffalo was sloppy.

Btw, is it just me or are the guys starting to slow many songs back down to near proper studio speed?

Listened to this one yesterday. I haven't heard buffalo yet but honestly thought Worcester 1 was a bit rough around the edges. Was Ed sick at this time? I think he might have been but can't remember. He seemed to struggle to reach up to some of those notes especially on sirens and infallible.

Wow, I agree. After Pittsburgh and Buffalo, where Ed sounded incredibly healthy and strong (Sorry TamaDrummer to contradict you), this one came like one of those 2008 boots where you feel Ed struggling to keep up and you'd be like "damn".

But that's just the start. Ed has this incredible ability to come back very strongly. He did it last year in Berlin. After a weak start in Berlin 1, in Berlin 2nd day, he was sounding like he could sing until the daylight without a breathe.

So he recovers well during the show after this weak start. So I agree there might have been some illness that was withholding him at start. Perhaps, he wasn't sure at the beginning how long his voice could hold but then he got rid of his concerns as the show went by.

2013 boots are great.

No need to apologize! I like seeing the difference in views and what we all hear. While I still think Ed sounded better in Worcester than Buffalo, it still wasn't up to his best. His voice sounded a little better in Brooklyn and Philly. Id say he just had a cold or getting back into the groove early on.

• Options
    Philly 2 2013

Judging by the comments on the 10C board, those who attended both nights in Philly generally preferred night 1 over 2 (although several disagree). If you were there, I might be able to understand this; the first night had a “wow” factor set list and apparently a slightly wilder crowd. But when comparing the two nights as live recordings, there is no competition. Philly 2 absolutely trumps Philly 1 and is the best bootleg out of the first 8 shows of the tour, easily. This is the first show of the 2013 tour that I think I can actually say, “This is a damn fine bootleg and performance.” The other 2013 boots have been mostly, with few exceptions, enjoyable but this one is my personal preference.

The main set is close to flawless musically and has a great energy about it. My only complaint is the flow of the set list is not the best, and creating a mood or vibe is challenging. I am not going to go song to song like I normally do because every other sentence will say, “This is a tight, good version of this particular song.” I will contend there are a few very small lyrical errors that Ed covers up considerably well and are not distracting at all, such as the case in Sirens, Infallible, WWS, and DTE. And I have to say, Mind Your Manners sounds marginally better at this show and is without a doubt the best version of the song so far in the 2013 series (in my opinion). Amongst the Waves and Satan’s Bed are welcomed additions to the set that rarely appeared in the whole tour, both sound nice and convincing. To end the main set is one of the best versions of Better Man I have heard. The tag is one that I hadn’t heard before, so it’s most likely pretty rare, and the jamming towards the end is spectacular.

The encores are nothing to sneeze at either. Parachutes-Yellow Moon-Comeback feels like they go so well together, both musically and lyrically. Add on to those three, a rather cute version of Future Days where Ed slightly messed up the lyrics and starts laughing (but gets back on key very quickly), and you have the first 4 songs of the encore that sound so beautiful together. Pairing Breath and SOLAT is always welcomed, and serves to up the pace and tension. Although Breath is not the best version I’ve heard, I have heard many other versions that were far worse. Ed gets the lyrics very close to perfect and the guitar work by Stone and Mike is stellar as well. Ed gets a little carried away during Unthought Known and drags the “nothing left” part out an extra measure or two. Leaving Here is fun. Blood-Alive-Baba-Ledbetter is a great way to close the gig. All are fairly strong takes. I really enjoyed this show, due mostly to the fact it's the tightest show yet. I wish it flowed a little better during the main set, but it's not too discerning.

• Options
    Philly 2 2013

Judging by the comments on the 10C board, those who attended both nights in Philly generally preferred night 1 over 2 (although several disagree). If you were there, I might be able to understand this; the first night had a “wow” factor set list and apparently a slightly wilder crowd. But when comparing the two nights as live recordings, there is no competition. Philly 2 absolutely trumps Philly 1 and is the best bootleg out of the first 8 shows of the tour, easily. This is the first show of the 2013 tour that I think I can actually say, “This is a damn fine bootleg and performance.” The other 2013 boots have been mostly, with few exceptions, enjoyable but this one is my personal preference.

The main set is close to flawless musically and has a great energy about it. My only complaint is the flow of the set list is not the best, and creating a mood or vibe is challenging. I am not going to go song to song like I normally do because every other sentence will say, “This is a tight, good version of this particular song.” I will contend there are a few very small lyrical errors that Ed covers up considerably well and are not distracting at all, such as the case in Sirens, Infallible, WWS, and DTE. And I have to say, Mind Your Manners sounds marginally better at this show and is without a doubt the best version of the song so far in the 2013 series (in my opinion). Amongst the Waves and Satan’s Bed are welcomed additions to the set that rarely appeared in the whole tour, both sound nice and convincing. To end the main set is one of the best versions of Better Man I have heard. The tag is one that I hadn’t heard before, so it’s most likely pretty rare, and the jamming towards the end is spectacular.

The encores are nothing to sneeze at either. Parachutes-Yellow Moon-Comeback feels like they go so well together, both musically and lyrically. Add on to those three, a rather cute version of Future Days where Ed slightly messed up the lyrics and starts laughing (but gets back on key very quickly), and you have the first 4 songs of the encore that sound so beautiful together. Pairing Breath and SOLAT is always welcomed, and serves to up the pace and tension. Although Breath is not the best version I’ve heard, I have heard many other versions that were far worse. Ed gets the lyrics very close to perfect and the guitar work by Stone and Mike is stellar as well. Ed gets a little carried away during Unthought Known and drags the “nothing left” part out an extra measure or two. Leaving Here is fun. Blood-Alive-Baba-Ledbetter is a great way to close the gig. All are fairly strong takes. I really enjoyed this show, due mostly to the fact it's the tightest show yet. I wish it flowed a little better during the main set, but it's not too discerning.

OK, after this review, I'm upgrading this one from digital download to CD order. Now hope to fast forward 2.5 months quickly to get my hand on this badass.