Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    pjhawks wrote:
    Was that game on TV last night?

Funny how every year SJU is supposed to be so great and then they still suck.

That giant conference should be called the A-21; it has a nice ring to it. So Temple would NOT be in that conference? This is gonna be a real shit show. I guess they get a lot of money from the football program, but you've got to admit to yourself what you are, and what Temple is is a basketball school. I actually enjoyed the football games more when they were in the MAC. :roll:

Towson tonight. HERE WE GO!!! :lol:

this is the 1st year since 2004 we were supposed to be great so not sure where that comment comes from.

must be nice though to cheer for a team that has 1 tourny win in 8 years (or a whopping 1 more than the hawks and lasalle) and the integrity and class to not to suspend a sexual offender for even one game.

I wasn't aware that being with a hooker made one a "sexual offender" - criminal maybe. Everyone involved was an adult, so I don't think he's a "sexual offender."

Your rant reeks of frustration and bitterness at your team's perpetual mediocrity. You'd love to have been in the tourney the last 5 years. Probably never been 5 years in a row in SJU's entire history I bet...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311
    pjhawks wrote:
    Was that game on TV last night?

Funny how every year SJU is supposed to be so great and then they still suck.

That giant conference should be called the A-21; it has a nice ring to it. So Temple would NOT be in that conference? This is gonna be a real shit show. I guess they get a lot of money from the football program, but you've got to admit to yourself what you are, and what Temple is is a basketball school. I actually enjoyed the football games more when they were in the MAC. :roll:

Towson tonight. HERE WE GO!!! :lol:

this is the 1st year since 2004 we were supposed to be great so not sure where that comment comes from.

must be nice though to cheer for a team that has 1 tourny win in 8 years (or a whopping 1 more than the hawks and lasalle) and the integrity and class to not to suspend a sexual offender for even one game.

I wasn't aware that being with a hooker made one a "sexual offender" - criminal maybe. Everyone involved was an adult, so I don't think he's a "sexual offender."

Your rant reeks of frustration and bitterness at your team's perpetual mediocrity. You'd love to have been in the tourney the last 5 years. Probably never been 5 years in a row in SJU's entire history I bet...

1st off i was only responding to your ridiculous notion that the hawks are supposed to be great every year and come up short. we rarely are ever thought to be great. for all of temple's greatness they have won 1 more game in the ncca's in 8 years than st. joe's or lasalle. that's not bitterness those are facts.

2ndly tell me you have no problem that your coach believes being late for a team meeting (wyatt not starting in a10 tourny because of this) is a worse indiscretion than being arrested for prostitution AND attempting to run from the cops? clearly that is the case since there was NO discipline in this case. I'd love to hear dunph's explanation for this.

contrast that to the Hawks suspending a player for 2 games for an obscene gesture.

pretty significant difference in values don't you say? against facts, not opinion.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    1st off i was only responding to your ridiculous notion that the hawks are supposed to be great every year and come up short. we rarely are ever thought to be great. for all of temple's greatness they have won 1 more game in the ncca's in 8 years than st. joe's or lasalle. that's not bitterness those are facts.

2ndly tell me you have no problem that your coach believes being late for a team meeting (wyatt not starting in a10 tourny because of this) is a worse indiscretion than being arrested for prostitution AND attempting to run from the cops? clearly that is the case since there was NO discipline in this case. I'd love to hear dunph's explanation for this.

contrast that to the Hawks suspending a player for 2 games for an obscene gesture.

pretty significant difference in values don't you say? against facts, not opinion.

Being late for a team meeting and an obscene gesture during a game are basketball-related incidents, and were punished as so.

Khalif's legal infractions can and should be handled through the legal system. Honestly I wouldn't have minded him getting a suspension, but his legitimate punishment for whatever he did should come through the system.

By the way, I was wrong. SJU made the NCAA's from 1959 to 1963, 5 straight years. But only once since the Jameer/Delonte team.

I remember them having high expectations the last year or two and being a bust. Perhaps I exaggerated a little bit or spoke figuratively. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Being late for a team meeting and an obscene gesture during a game are basketball-related incidents, and were punished as so.

Khalif's legal infractions can and should be handled through the legal system. Honestly I wouldn't have minded him getting a suspension, but his legitimate punishment for whatever he did should come through the system.

By the way, I was wrong. SJU made the NCAA's from 1959 to 1963, 5 straight years. But only once since the Jameer/Delonte team.

I remember them having high expectations the last year or two and being a bust. Perhaps I exaggerated a little bit or spoke figuratively. ;)

they were pre-season picked anywhere from 7th to 9th in the A10 last year and played in the NIT. right where they were chosen. it was a disappointing season in the sense that they started so well and looked to be better than thought but january and early february weren't good.

and at no time since 2005 have they been a top 2 or 3 pre-season pick in the league before this year. and since the league hasn't started they still could be a top 2 or 3 team in the league (although right now i can't see it happening).
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,561
    mr abruzzo, this might be of interest to you:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... onnecticut
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mr abruzzo, this might be of interest to you:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... onnecticut

Oy. It's definitely more of a mess than I thought it would be. Owls are really in the wilderness here.

• Options
    always nice to defeat an inferior opponent handily. win these next 2 then it's on to big east play.

defense has been impressive so far...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Alcorn St. tonight. This schedule is some crazy shit! :?

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Big game for the Explorers v. Bucknell tomorrow. Ty Garland is now active.

Bad loss. How the hell do you have 3 assists on a team with nothing but guards? Dr. G's downfall be his offensive strategy. It's either a 3 or iso. It was nice seeing Garland active though.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

your new football coach seems too likeable to be a head coach :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

That game was a struggle, although I was more than happy for the score padding at the end, including a trey by hidden-on-the-bench blue chip recruit Daniel Dingle. :roll:

Another RPI builder tonight - Canisius. I'll be googling trying to figure out where that school is during the game. By the way, Alcorn St is a land grant historically black college in Mississippi that plays in the SWAC. And the school of the late Steve McNair. See, you learn something new every day. :lol:

Syracuse at MSG on Saturday - hope we don't get run out of the building...

• Options
    Probably the worst loss of the Dunphy era last night. Dunph as usual refused to use his timeouts or make any adjustments on the floor or with personnel as Canisius kept knocking down threes and Scootie Randall kept lobbing bricks. Great way to head into the matchup with Syracuse. :roll:

Of course, I've been telling you all that this team isn't that good for weeks.

• Options
    Probably the worst loss of the Dunphy era last night. Dunph as usual refused to use his timeouts or make any adjustments on the floor or with personnel as Canisius kept knocking down threes and Scootie Randall kept lobbing bricks. Great way to head into the matchup with Syracuse. :roll:

the big questions is did locate where canisius is? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

the big questions is did locate where canisius is? :lol:

Buffalo.

• Options
    After have 3 assists in a loss, the Explorers come up with 16 in a nice win last night. Ty Garland 26 point in 23 minutes. I'm liking this addition and I haven't even seen him play yet. Here we go Explorers!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Back from NYC. Had a good time even though we didn't really make it out of Midtown (just had dinner Downtown and went right back). Eataly might be the greatest place I've ever been to (outside of the actual Italy). I would take a train back up there just to hang out in that place. Midtown was an absolute zoo but we had fun nonetheless.

Oh yeah, the game was pretty good too. ;)

MSG was a really great atmosphere, even though there were some upper deck empty seats. Temple had maybe 25% of the fans, but I think the Orange fans were complacent and kind of annoyed that the game was close and then that they were losing, so we basically matched them noise-wise. The reason we won is fairly simple; we hit our free throws, and they didn't. Games like this never happened in the Cheney era. Orange fans after the game were well-mannered and good sports. They seem to be nice people.

Lose to Canisius at home and then beat #3 Syracuse. :? :? :? This season could go anywhere at this point.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663
    Back from NYC. Had a good time even though we didn't really make it out of Midtown (just had dinner Downtown and went right back). Eataly might be the greatest place I've ever been to (outside of the actual Italy). I would take a train back up there just to hang out in that place. Midtown was an absolute zoo but we had fun nonetheless.

Oh yeah, the game was pretty good too. ;)

MSG was a really great atmosphere, even though there were some upper deck empty seats. Temple had maybe 25% of the fans, but I think the Orange fans were complacent and kind of annoyed that the game was close and then that they were losing, so we basically matched them noise-wise. The reason we won is fairly simple; we hit our free throws, and they didn't. Games like this never happened in the Cheney era. Orange fans after the game were well-mannered and good sports. They seem to be nice people.

Lose to Canisius at home and then beat #3 Syracuse. :? :? :? This season could go anywhere at this point.

Shit, dude. I completely forgot I owed you info until I was watching the game yesterday. My bad. Good win for you guys. Dude had a hell of a game 15-15 from the line too. Crazy. I love Syracuse games at MSG, probably my favorite sporting event to attend. Definitely sounded like it was a bit subdued.

How fucking awesome is Eatly? I love that place. You make it upstairs to Birreria?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How fucking awesome is Eatly? I love that place. You make it upstairs to Birreria?

Shit yeah. Place is the bomb.

Also, don't sweat it. Wife and I decided we didn't want to drive and didn't want to ride subway for an hour to get to the Bronx.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Shit yeah. Place is the bomb.

Also, don't sweat it. Wife and I decided we didn't want to drive and didn't want to ride subway for an hour to get to the Bronx.

Word, yeah, awesome spot.
  • Options
    Nice win on Saturday for the Explorers. They beat a team they should've beat, by a lot. Their biggest non-conference game is on 1/2 v. Miami and they caught a break. Miami lost their best big man to a broken thumb for 6 weeks. They must win this game now. Galloway is on fire.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    for christmas, my brother's girlfriend got him 3rd row seats for the big game last week against the new jersey institute of technology. :lol:

she's a not a big sports fan so it was a nice gesture. she also got him an eagles jersey with his name on the back.

yes, we made fun of him.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    she also got him an eagles jersey with his name on the back.

yes, we made fun of him.

I hope she gave him the gift receipt as well. :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,573
    Fran Dunphy at Trenton Catholic(NJ) on Saturday watching Rysheed Jordan(6'4") of Vaux. Rumor is he's down to Temple, St. John's and UCLA. I haven't seen him play yet, but my scouting buddies say he's the BEST SR. in Philly.
  • Options
    Well the Explorers blew it. Doc G can't adjust and they had zero offensive flow in the 2nd half.

Colorado got robbed last night. How do you have a replay and still blow that call?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Well the Explorers blew it. Doc G can't adjust and they had zero offensive flow in the 2nd half.

Colorado got robbed last night. How do you have a replay and still blow that call?

that would have been a nice win for LaSalle. If they can finish in the Top 4 in the A10, which is going to a brutal league, they could be tourny bound. A10 could be looking at up to 6 teams in the tourny this year. A few huge wins with temple over syracuse, butler over indiana and st. louis over new mexico. league is stacked from 1-8 or so.

Hawks have one more scrub game on saturday before opening league play against Butler wednesday night. really looking forward to that game.

Colorado totally choked but got screwed on the replay. clearly good when slowed down fully.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

that would have been a nice win for LaSalle. If they can finish in the Top 4 in the A10, which is going to a brutal league, they could be tourny bound. A10 could be looking at up to 6 teams in the tourny this year. A few huge wins with temple over syracuse, butler over indiana and st. louis over new mexico. league is stacked from 1-8 or so.

Hawks have one more scrub game on saturday before opening league play against Butler wednesday night. really looking forward to that game.

Colorado totally choked but got screwed on the replay. clearly good when slowed down fully.

Barry Larkin's kid for Miami is tough. He could be a stud PG. No one could cover him.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    welcome to the big east, mr arcidianico
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Can the Owls just stay in the A-10??? :roll:

At Kansas today, going against playoff football at 4:30 on CBS. Curious scheduling.

• Options
    Hawks get Butler at Hagan tonight. Really looking forward to this game. Huge Brad Stevens fan...little bit of man crush to be honest. I think game goes to wire. Love conference play. Bring it on.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Hawks get Butler at Hagan tonight. Really looking forward to this game. Huge Brad Stevens fan...little bit of man crush to be honest. I think game goes to wire. Love conference play. Bring it on.

looks like it was fairly close till the end...

nova is handling south florida, it appears. they haven't beaten them in quite a while. need this one before schedule toughens up.
    chinese-happy.jpg