The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Horrible officiating at the end of the TU Dayton game. This may lead CBB to have a flopping call.

LaSalle, live by the 3 and they'll eventually die by it. Nice to see Mills wake up after just and awful season for him. It would be nice if he hit some 3's v. better competition.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    LaSalle blew a 57-46 or 48 lead last night and got a little lucky. The Bonnies caught a break when LaSalle fouled on the floor up by 3. The ref called in the act of shooting a 3, even though the player wasn't shooting and actually pumped faked once before he shot. How could he be fouled in the act of shooting if he pumped faked before he shot? He missed the 1st 2 and made the 3rd when he was trying to miss.

A sell-out at the Palestra on Saturday. I'm taking my son to his 1st Palestra game. He was asking why it's so great to see a game there? I said the atmosphere. He said what? I said you'll see when you're there. Best place to ever see a basketball game. I was conceived and born there during a triple header. :lol:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LaSalle blew a 57-46 or 48 lead last night and got a little lucky. The Bonnies caught a break when LaSalle fouled on the floor up by 3. The ref called in the act of shooting a 3, even though the player wasn't shooting and actually pumped faked once before he shot. How could he be fouled in the act of shooting if he pumped faked before he shot? He missed the 1st 2 and made the 3rd when he was trying to miss.

A sell-out at the Palestra on Saturday. I'm taking my son to his 1st Palestra game. He was asking why it's so great to see a game there? I said the atmosphere. He said what? I said you'll see when you're there. Best place to ever see a basketball game. I was conceived and born there during a triple header. :lol:

your son should have an awesome time. there is nothing like a sold out Palestra with half the tickets to both sides. i too went to many palestra games as a kid and have so many great memories. i just hope my hawks can stay close. i don't see the hawks having much of a chance to win. we can't guard the explorers. only hope is to pound them inside and hope lasalle misses a lot but i don't see it.
    I want the streamers back!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

totally. how cool was that? and for a kid it was awesome to get a chance to throw them a couple of times. remember when the names on the scoreboard had to be changed with the big long suction stick when they had doubleheaders? as a kid always wanted to get to do that.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

totally. how cool was that? and for a kid it was awesome to get a chance to throw them a couple of times. remember when the names on the scoreboard had to be changed with the big long suction stick when they had doubleheaders? as a kid always wanted to get to do that.
    That was neat. I also remember being in the concourse in between games and everyone was smoking but I was under most of the smoke.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Wow!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I was never ther, but i remember seeing it when i saw the games on TV. I wish i was ther.

Do you remember YO-YO?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    scottie reynolds' type performance by arch today. BOOM.

one of the best rebounding performances by a nova team i have seen in years.

nova did what they had to do this week. 3-2 rest of way, plus a win at the garden should do it...

:thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • This Temple team is a disgrace. The 3 home losses and the loss to St Joe's are just embarrassing. This team started 9-1 I think and the season has tanked. Dunphy has proven a mediocre recruiter and has done a terrible job getting this team to have any chemistry on either side of the court. He looks disconnected out there, consistently waiting way too long to call timeouts to stall the other team's momentum. And after timeouts the team comes out and has nothing creative to run. I'm ready for a change.

I almost hope Lasalle beats us on Thursday - this Temple team has no right to share the Big 5 title. Maybe we'll get hot in the NIT. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    yeah nice win by Nova, should help their bid for a birth in the tourny.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    yeah nice win by Nova, should help their bid for a birth in the tourny.

per lunardi, they replaced kentucky as the one of the last 4 teams in for the moment...
    www.myspace.com
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Love the Big 5. Love the Palestra. My high school beat Boyertown at the Palestra to win the PIAA District 1 title in 77. Greatest game I ever saw there was Villanova defeating an Arkansas team that included Alvin Robertson and Joe Kleine . Arkansas was top 5 in the nation at the time . The Palestra is a cathedral that every college basketball fan should visit at least once.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    cutz wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I was never ther, but i remember seeing it when i saw the games on TV. I wish i was ther.

Do you remember YO-YO?

vaguely remember Yo-Yo as I was in single digits around his time, but know plenty of the stories.
    Blind3 wrote:
    Love the Big 5. Love the Palestra. My high school beat Boyertown at the Palestra to win the PIAA District 1 title in 77. Greatest game I ever saw there was Villanova defeating an Arkansas team that included Alvin Robertson and Joe Kleine . Arkansas was top 5 in the nation at the time . The Palestra is a cathedral that every college basketball fan should visit at least once.

I was the Nova-Arkansas game as well. Was in high school at the time. think it was a sunday afternoon if i recall.

best non-city team i ever saw at the Palestra was Duke in 1986 with Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, David Henderson and Mark Alarie. They lost in the Final 4 that year to Kansas. they were spectacular.

saw UNLV with Larry Johnson play Temple at the Spectrum. That was the best non-philly team i ever saw play live. sat in almost the last row for that game...which led me to turning down tickets to the Duke-Kentucky greatest game ever because the tickets offered were in one of the last rows. :fp:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

That was neat. I also remember being in the concourse in between games and everyone was smoking but I was under most of the smoke.

so how did your son enjoy the game? as a Hawk fan wasn't all that enjoyable for me but still love a packed Palestra. good win for LaSalle. I think they actually have a chance to win the A10 regular season with their wins over Butler and VCU get any tie breakers. Always loved Duren's game and he was fantastic yesterday. He is always in control. so calm and cool with the ball, rarely makes a mistake and his shot looks so clean every time.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    I was at that Temple=UNLV game too. I actually had some decent seats.

I WISH i was at that Duke-Kentucky game. GREATEST College game ever?

pjhawks wrote:
    Blind3 wrote:

I was the Nova-Arkansas game as well. Was in high school at the time. think it was a sunday afternoon if i recall.

best non-city team i ever saw at the Palestra was Duke in 1986 with Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, David Henderson and Mark Alarie. They lost in the Final 4 that year to Kansas. they were spectacular.

saw UNLV with Larry Johnson play Temple at the Spectrum. That was the best non-philly team i ever saw play live. sat in almost the last row for that game...which led me to turning down tickets to the Duke-Kentucky greatest game ever because the tickets offered were in one of the last rows. :fp:
  • Apparently Temple has set some sort of NCAA record by playing in 5 straight one-point games.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Apparently Temple has set some sort of NCAA record by playing in 5 straight one-point games.

new alternate meaning of "one and dunph"? :lol:
    Apparently Temple has set some sort of NCAA record by playing in 5 straight one-point games.

congratulations.
    www.myspace.com
    took nova until the 2nd half to wake up tonight...james bell was clutch from 3 point land again. he's reminding me a lot of dwayne anderson. pinkston with a monster dunk towards the end.

not pretty. but a win's a win. can't believe there's only 4 left...

mike rice...what i wouldn't give to punch that man in the face.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    so how did your son enjoy the game? as a Hawk fan wasn't all that enjoyable for me but still love a packed Palestra. good win for LaSalle. I think they actually have a chance to win the A10 regular season with their wins over Butler and VCU get any tie breakers. Always loved Duren's game and he was fantastic yesterday. He is always in control. so calm and cool with the ball, rarely makes a mistake and his shot looks so clean every time.

It's kind of hard not to enjoy it when you win. I miss that place. My son loved it. LaSalle had too many of those rollouts, quality over quantity. I wish Duren would take control more often. He tends to hid or disappear sometimes, which is puzzling. We have no one that can cover Kanacevic. That's the one thing LaSalle lacks is a versatile big man. 5 games left, with TU and St. Louis. I'd like to go 4-1 but the A-10 has been tough for everyone. I'm trying to make plans for a possible Brooklyn trip.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

It's kind of hard not to enjoy it when you win. I miss that place. My son loved it. LaSalle had too many of those rollouts, quality over quantity. I wish Duren would take control more often. He tends to hid or disappear sometimes, which is puzzling. We have no one that can cover Kanacevic. That's the one thing LaSalle lacks is a versatile big man. 5 games left, with TU and St. Louis. I'd like to go 4-1 but the A-10 has been tough for everyone. I'm trying to make plans for a possible Brooklyn trip.

4-1 probably gets you 2nd place at worst if the one is St. Louis. gonna miss the tourny in AC. no plans to go to Brooklyn and not just because my hawks stink. kind of a pain to head to brooklyn since a one-day trip up is a little too long especially if you try and do it on consectutive days and staying would be expensive. went most years to AC for the friday session which was always a great time and not too difficult to head back on saturday if wanted to.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

4-1 probably gets you 2nd place at worst if the one is St. Louis. gonna miss the tourny in AC. no plans to go to Brooklyn and not just because my hawks stink. kind of a pain to head to brooklyn since a one-day trip up is a little too long especially if you try and do it on consectutive days and staying would be expensive. went most years to AC for the friday session which was always a great time and not too difficult to head back on saturday if wanted to.

AC was convenient. My friend had a house in Brigantine. Only a 5 minute cab ride. No plans set in stone. It would depend on what time they play on Friday and we'll go from there. We have a friend that works at the Marriott Marquee in Manhattan so we're checking to see if he can hook us up.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Let's get it on TU. Here we go Explorers!! Hopefully Wyatt was visiting AC earlier today and is a little tired out. :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Ugh. My son had a game last night. I checked the score when it was 23-22 LaSalle. Saw the half-time score that TU was up 14-15 points. Got in the car when it was a 19 point and listened to it grow to 22. I got home when it was down to 12. I don't understand why DR. G wouldn't have at least 1 big man in for rebounding. A disappointing loss but not devastating unless they don't win their next 3 before St. Louis. I guess it's not hard to get a career high in rebounds when you're boxing out 6-1 and 6-2 guards for an entire half.

HELP WANTED: An athletic basketball player 6-8 or above for a team located at 20th & Olney.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    Ugh. My son had a game last night. I checked the score when it was 23-22 LaSalle. Saw the half-time score that TU was up 14-15 points. Got in the car when it was a 19 point and listened to it grow to 22. I got home when it was down to 12. I don't understand why DR. G wouldn't have at least 1 big man in for rebounding. A disappointing loss but not devastating unless they don't win their next 3 before St. Louis. I guess it's not hard to get a career high in rebounds when you're boxing out 6-1 and 6-2 guards for an entire half.

HELP WANTED: An athletic basketball player 6-8 or above for a team located at 20th & Olney.

Fun game, one of the best played by the Owls this year along with Nova & Cuse. To call this team an enigma doesn't do it justice.

It's weird to be on the bubble. We are always IN or OUT.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

as long as they don't blow this seton hall classic trap game, i think nova's dancing....that said, seton hall hasn't won a game in a month. i'm scared to death of this game. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Big game at Charlotte today. Charlotte is the only A-10 team we are playing home & away this year. :? We beat them at home 88-87 I think.

Nice to know that LaSalle righted the Owls ship. Danny Hurley, URI, bitches at the refs like he's actually won something before.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer