Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,310
    i'd say that's a pretty respectable game from scootie randall after missing a year huh johnny? good win for the owls
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    pjhawks wrote:
    i'd say that's a pretty respectable game from scootie randall after missing a year huh johnny? good win for the owls

If he stays healthy this year it could be real exciting! Pretty sure we beat SD St if he was healthy for that game.

Good start, shitty middle where they did their "let's let the other team back in it" thing, then good finish.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    TU better hope Kent St. doesn't have good looking prostitutes! :lol:

Kalif looked like he met up with a couple the night before.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,541
    edited November 2012
    hey if you guys want to experience what it's like for a philly team to make it to the final 4 (in dramatic fashion, i might add), comcast is airing the nova/pitt elite 8 game from 2009 a few times in the next few days. ;)

GO CATS!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hey if you guys want to experience what it's like for a philly team to make it to the final 4 (in dramatic fashion, i might add), comcast is airing the nova/pitt elite 8 game from a few years ago a few times in the next few days. ;)

GO CATS!

I did very much enjoy that game. Obviously I have no reason to watch it again.

Temple's 5 straight Elite 8 defeats have been very frustrating.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    big win for the hawks last night...

thursday's nova game was the most exciting game i've seen of them in 2 years. last night? eh, not so much. :lol:

bunch of young bucks out there. gotta expect a lot of growing pains early but you do see the potential.

arch is playing like freshman. he needs to learn to trust his teammates and not try to do everything himself. jay wright compared him to nardi (because he's white?). i think he's more scottie reynolds than nardi. not saying he will even approach reynolds' greatness, but he seems like the kind of guard who can take over a game even if his shot is not falling like thursday. he had a horrible 2nd half but was 9/10 from the line. i like his fire too. last couple years there was no fire. kid has TONS of potential, just needs to be more careful with the ball and trust his teammates more.

hilliard has improved a lot. his shot is silky smooth. excited to see bell and pinkston be major contributors. all 3 can knock down the outside shot.

mouph better be careful or his minutes are going to go to ochefu quickly. pretty disappointed in mouph's progress over the last few years. wish pinkney was still on the staff...

go cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    more conference re-alignment. the big east could be life support soon as the supposed new western schools are looking for an out now according to espn and lots of rumors of other movement. going to be very interesting where all the local schools end up. A10 looking really strong as a basketball conference right now but does nova and any of the leftover big east schools try and purge teams like Xavier and Butler? or does nova end up on the outs looking for a new place to go? and what happens to temple if the big east football falls apart? crazy that football generates that many dollars. the possibilities right now are endless.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    more conference re-alignment. the big east could be life support soon as the supposed new western schools are looking for an out now according to espn and lots of rumors of other movement. going to be very interesting where all the local schools end up. A10 looking really strong as a basketball conference right now but does nova and any of the leftover big east schools try and purge teams like Xavier and Butler? or does nova end up on the outs looking for a new place to go? and what happens to temple if the big east football falls apart? crazy that football generates that many dollars. the possibilities right now are endless.

it's a disgrace.

welcome to a sinking ship johnny.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Columbia 75 Nova 57 - wow. rock bottom might have just gotten a bit lower.

Hawks manhandled a decent Harvard squad. starters got the lead up to 38 before calling off the dogs. Hawks are played real well so far.
  • Options
    i didn't realize i had this cbs sports channel until there was a little over a minute left in overtime yesterday. :x how is this not also in hd? i don't look for non hd channels anymore....

anyway, FUCK! up 4 with over a minute left and they lose by 7.

enjoy this, you son's of bitches! :x :x :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I can't gloat too much because we lost to Central Conn St. last week but beating Nova for the 1st time in 11 years feels good. I was surprised they were able to hang once Wright got in foul touble but it sounded(listened to it on the radio) like our guards were the difference. Now I'll be bracing for the let down v. Rider.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    i didn't realize i had this cbs sports channel until there was a little over a minute left in overtime yesterday. :x how is this not also in hd? i don't look for non hd channels anymore....

Juggler you must not have Xfinity? it's in HD on my Xfinity. I think its channel 854. up there with all the other sports stations. unfortunately as an A10 fan that is the channel that has owned the rights to the A10 games the past few years so I know where it is.

I will try and make no comments on nova until my hawks play them on Dec 11th. Well other than JayVaughn doesn't seem like the brighest bulb going for a 2 down 3 in the last 10 seconds (although fn coaches drive me nuts not fouling in that situation)

I thought Lasalle played pretty undisciplined on offense. seems like it was all 1-on-1 play. Although have to give Dr. G credit for the backdoor play to give them the lead. Great play and execution of it. I like Duren's game. pretty steady player. never seems rattled.

hawks have american wednesday at home before a huge one at Creighton on saturday afternoon. that is probably their toughest game on the schedule. saw creigthon late saturday night. they are really good.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

it's a disgrace.

I think b-ball will work out fine with all the other basketball schools - the Novas, G-towns, St. Johns all hung out to dry, they will find a place to land.

Temple's football program might get screwed over pretty good I'm afraid.

• Options
    Saw the Owls-Hens game yesterday. Had a big 14-pt lead early in 2nd half and almost blew it, but held on in the end. Signora Abruzzo, a Delaware grad, said I "looked nervous" towards the end.

Team has lots of depth but I think Fran is still looking for the right combos and the chemistry is developing. That said, and admitting that this 3-0 team has struggled, I think there is a boatload of talent and experience and this team could be dangerous/exciting if it finds the right chemistry.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

it's a disgrace.

I think b-ball will work out fine with all the other basketball schools - the Novas, G-towns, St. Johns all hung out to dry, they will find a place to land.

Temple's football program might get screwed over pretty good I'm afraid.

there's nothing "fine" about that to me. that will be another glorified atlantic 10.

nova needs to apply to the mac for football and try to convince the acc to take them for all non football schools now with the hopes they take in the football team a few years down the road. this is the longest of long shots but they need to think bold for once
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Juggler you must not have Xfinity? it's in HD on my Xfinity. I think its channel 854. up there with all the other sports stations. unfortunately as an A10 fan that is the channel that has owned the rights to the A10 games the past few years so I know where it is.

I will try and make no comments on nova until my hawks play them on Dec 11th. Well other than JayVaughn doesn't seem like the brighest bulb going for a 2 down 3 in the last 10 seconds (although fn coaches drive me nuts not fouling in that situation)

I thought Lasalle played pretty undisciplined on offense. seems like it was all 1-on-1 play. Although have to give Dr. G credit for the backdoor play to give them the lead. Great play and execution of it. I like Duren's game. pretty steady player. never seems rattled.

hawks have american wednesday at home before a huge one at Creighton on saturday afternoon. that is probably their toughest game on the schedule. saw creigthon late saturday night. they are really good.

no i have fios.

he clearly forgot what the score was. inexcusable.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Owls barely broke 50 but still got a blowout win at Buffalo. Defense was dominant at times, and at times Buffalo couldn't hit water from a boat. A win's a win, especially on the road.

Last time Temple was even 3-0 (they're now 4-0) was 2000-01. They ended up in Elite 8 that year, but not before a dramatic A-10 tourney championship, without which they'd have been NIT'ing. Lynn Greer was just sick that year.

• Options
    well creigthon treated the hawks like they were jode foster in the accused. what a butt whooping. game was over about 2 minutes in. creighton was coming off a home loss to boise state so knew it was going to be a hard one to win but it was as bad as the game at Temple last year. not good at all. hawks pretty much got punched in the mouth and quit like dogs. unfortunately that was pretty much the last chance for a good non-conference win as the schedule gets must worse from here out before conference play. should win the rest with toughest 2 being at nova and at drexel.

temple 5-0 for 1st time since number 1 team. kind of surprised they haven't done that before. nova is this week isn't it? temple should spank them.

lots of good hoops last week though. can't wait until conference play.
  • Options
    nice to get back in the win column...in what was the final big east/sec challenge game ever. :roll:

wednesday, wednesday, wednesday johnny!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I just heard a crazy rumor that Jay Wright will be resigning today because he knocked up someone on his staff. Would be crazy if true.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I just heard a crazy rumor that Jay Wright will be resigning today because he knocked up someone on his staff. Would be crazy if true.

i've heard the rumor of him having an affair with a 19 or 20 year old but their message board squashed the rumor last week. if true...good for him :D
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    temple 5-0 for 1st time since number 1 team. kind of surprised they haven't done that before. nova is this week isn't it? temple should spank them.

Temple always plays very difficult schedules, so it's almost impossible to go 5-0. They were 4-0 in 1998-99, including a thrilling win over #4 MSU (Owls were #7), followed by 4 straight losses. Anyways, this year's team has played the various Little Sisters of the Poor, and struggled in some of those games as well (we just barely beat Delaware and Wagner at home, but had some convincing road wins :? ). All in all a rather weak 5-0, but 5-0 nonetheless.

Should be interesting to play some good teams. Is Nova a "good" team???

I am heading up to MSG later this month to see the Syracuse game. If they don't gel a little more by then we'll get blown out of the building.

You going Jeags? I'm missing this one. Tons of home games this month (Wagner, Alcorn St, Canicius :roll: ) plus MSG game.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Temple always plays very difficult schedules, so it's almost impossible to go 5-0. They were 4-0 in 1998-99, including a thrilling win over #4 MSU (Owls were #7), followed by 4 straight losses. Anyways, this year's team has played the various Little Sisters of the Poor, and struggled in some of those games as well (we just barely beat Delaware and Wagner at home, but had some convincing road wins :? ). All in all a rather weak 5-0, but 5-0 nonetheless.

Should be interesting to play some good teams. Is Nova a "good" team???

I am heading up to MSG later this month to see the Syracuse game. If they don't gel a little more by then we'll get blown out of the building.

You going Jeags? I'm missing this one. Tons of home games this month (Wagner, Alcorn St, Canicius :roll: ) plus MSG game.

no. any other day of the week i would have been able to. im at work late mondays and wednesdays. at least it's a late start so i can see the 2nd half. is this an espn game?

and no, nova's not a good team at this point. i'm just hoping for a tight game and maybe pull of an upset. i wonder when the last time tu was favored at the dupont? gotta be at least a decade.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    and no, nova's not a good team at this point. i'm just hoping for a tight game and maybe pull of an upset. i wonder when the last time tu was favored at the dupont? gotta be at least a decade.

Don't know, but Temple hasn't won at dupont since 1990. I don't see this as Temple being the clear cut favorite everyone says, but maybe I am just being hard on my team. I think people see "5-0" and not necessarily how well the team played in those games (since only hardcore Temple fans would've seen most of those games). This team is very vulnerable at this point. That said, I'm REALLY FUCKING SICK of losing at Villanova. :evil: ;)

GO OWLS!!!

• Options

Don't know, but Temple hasn't won at dupont since 1990. I don't see this as Temple being the clear cut favorite everyone says, but maybe I am just being hard on my team. I think people see "5-0" and not necessarily how well the team played in those games (since only hardcore Temple fans would've seen most of those games). This team is very vulnerable at this point. That said, I'm REALLY FUCKING SICK of losing at Villanova. :evil: ;)

GO OWLS!!!

if mouph and pinkston play like they've played last couple games, i think nova's got a shot.

good luck!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

GO OWLS!!!

gonna be a looong season. :x

congrats
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,287
    I forgot the Temple/Nov game was tonight until someone posted the Owls won on facebook :oops:

Was the game televised? I know it wasn't on ESPN cause they were showing NBA games. Unless it was on ESPN 2.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I forgot the Temple/Nov game was tonight until someone posted the Owls won on facebook :oops:

Was the game televised? I know it wasn't on ESPN cause they were showing NBA games. Unless it was on ESPN 2.

the deuce
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How about them Explorers kicking some Big Ten ass and on tv to boot. A very good showing but live by the 3 and die you'll die by the 3. I don't care if they were missing their best player. One more game for Garland to sit and he'll be active for Bucknell.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Owls with a lousy 1st half but managed to stay close. They are really out of sync at times.

2nd half was pure domination. Defensively they completely smothered the Cats, and Scottie and Anthony Lee had good strong games. Was it less than half a dozen FG's for Villanova in the 2nd half?

When they first promo'ed Saturday's games I said "wait, we're playing Duke on Saturday?" :oops: :lol:

First win at Pavillion in 22 years - YEAH!!!

Did you guys like watching my boy Jake O'Brien? 8-)

Dalton Pepper, our prized WVU transfer, looks absolutely lost out there.

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    How about them Explorers kicking some Big Ten ass and on tv to boot. A very good showing but live by the 3 and die you'll die by the 3. I don't care if they were missing their best player. One more game for Garland to sit and he'll be active for Bucknell.

Congrats - that's a great win for you guys and the Big 5! Win your next 2 Big 5 games and we'll have a showdown for the title on 2/21. ;)