Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,570
    Yea, i also heard about the Cheek situation. But, would he be better of with a degree?

It might be close for Wayns, but i won't be surprised if he gets drafted. I don't need to tell you, but he's a TOUGH Philly guard.I think he's a couple of nothces below Kyle Lowery, and Wayns reminds me of him a little. Even if he doesn't get drafted by an NBA team, he'll make some GOOD money playing ball somehwere, and have a LONG career too(IF he stays healthy).

Nova, and Jay Wright are missing EZ Ed Pinckney. Where is he at now? NBA?

Yea, Ryan Arch has been playing since April, that i know of. A couple of my friends saw him at the Conshy Tourney, and he looked alright for missing the WHOLE HS season.

I'll be posting more in here, as i will be getting out a LITTLE more to see some HS Hoops. For about a 15 year stretch i would see about 150 games a year. I can let you know what i think about some of the HS players i see.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Temple star Khalif Wyatt was one of 28 arrested as part of a weekend prostitution sting in Atlantic City according to a report by CSNPhilly.com.

Wyatt turned 21 over the weekend. He was arrested early Sunday morning. He allegedly engaged a prostitute and also resisted officers on the scene, which included Atlantic County Sheriff's Department personnel and FBI Task Force agents.

Wyatt attempted to flee on foot but was detained.

He's expected to be the team's top player in 2012-13. The 6-4 guard averaged 17.1 points per game last season and was a second-team All-Atlantic 10 pick.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

If he was caught by some AC cops I hope he's not leading the fast break any time soon.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,310
    81 wrote:
    Temple star Khalif Wyatt was one of 28 arrested as part of a weekend prostitution sting in Atlantic City according to a report by CSNPhilly.com.

Wyatt turned 21 over the weekend. He was arrested early Sunday morning. He allegedly engaged a prostitute and also resisted officers on the scene, which included Atlantic County Sheriff's Department personnel and FBI Task Force agents.

He's expected to be the team's top player in 2012-13. The 6-4 guard averaged 17.1 points per game last season and was a second-team All-Atlantic 10 pick.

well at least Khalif was going to pay for it and not just take it like a recent Temple Football player. be interesting to see how Temple handles it. seems like they had some discipline problems with him a few times during the season. could be the end for him.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

well at least Khalif was going to pay for it and not just take it like a recent Temple Football player. be interesting to see how Temple handles it. seems like they had some discipline problems with him a few times during the season. could be the end for him.

Pretty ugly situation.

They might be better off without him. Like Dionte Christmas a few years back, sometimes it just becomes the Khalif Wyatt show and everybody stands around watching him. Team got better after Dionte graduated (well, eventually graduated).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

Pretty ugly situation.

They might be better off without him. Like Dionte Christmas a few years back, sometimes it just becomes the Khalif Wyatt show and everybody stands around watching him. Team got better after Dionte graduated (well, eventually graduated).

He pushes off with his off hand every time he drives the lane. Poor Franny. AC prostitutes?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

did you graduate from ST joes?

I'm betting on no. It must suck having to play pretend when talking about a school you didn't even graduate from
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,541
    nova product maalik wayns is actually playing himself onto a spot with the sixers. i can see him getting 7-10 minutes a night. collins likes his aggressiveness in getting to the hoop and obviously his quickness. he's played really well in camp and in the games so far. pretty surprising. it would be cool to have both him and allen on the team...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nova product maalik wayns is actually playing himself onto a spot with the sixers. i can see him getting 7-10 minutes a night. collins likes his aggressiveness in getting to the hoop and obviously his quickness. he's played really well in camp and in the games so far. pretty surprising. it would be cool to have both him and allen on the team...

I'm not totally shocked about Wayns. He's a tough kid(as i'm sure you know).

Now, Lavoy Allen does surprise me that he IMPROVED himself to be an NBA player. When i saw him at Pennsbury High, i thought he had some talent, but was a little too slow and didn't play agressive enough. I give him alot of credit for the BIG improvement.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

Now, Lavoy Allen does surprise me that he IMPROVED himself to be an NBA player. When i saw him at Pennsbury High, i thought he had some talent, but was a little too slow and didn't play agressive enough. I give him alot of credit for the BIG improvement.

i think lavoy can have a long career in the nba. watching him defend kg last spring was very encouraging. having an all star like bynum in the middle will only make him look better. sixers have had some good success with their later picks (wayns was undrafted). good stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

i think lavoy can have a long career in the nba. watching him defend kg last spring was very encouraging. having an all star like bynum in the middle will only make him look better. sixers have had some good success with their later picks (wayns was undrafted). good stuff.

Yea, but will Andrew play with a BOO-BOO?> :lol: (that was the knock on him when he was in HS). Not sure he'll have too many seasons when he is NOT hurt. Though, i HOPE not as i'm a Sixer fan.

Lavoy did do a pretty good job on KG.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    cutz wrote:

Yea, but will Andrew play with a BOO-BOO?> :lol: (that was the knock on him when he was in HS). Not sure he'll have too many seasons when he is NOT hurt. Though, i HOPE not as i'm a Sixer fan.

Lavoy did do a pretty good job on KG.

i just got my tix to opening night so i really want him to be there. but if he's not ready, sit him for as long as it takes. that trade was to make him a sixer for the next 5 years....i'd rather him be healthy long term than risk a recurring thing this year. and if it doesn't work out, his contract expires next summer. no real risk on the sixers part.

i'm happy if we get about 70 games out of him a year.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    good to see nova isn't only gay in hoops. Love kicking their asses. pussies

Terrance West only a Soph. He will be playing on sundays

Towson 49, Villanova 35

VILLANOVA, Pa. -- Grant Enders passed for four touchdowns and rushed for another and Terrance West had two rushing TDs and one receiving score to help Towson outlast Villanova 49-35 Saturday.

The game was tied at 35 when West's 4-yard TD capped a 74-yard drive with 7:39 left in the third quarter.

Enders added a 40-yard romp with 2:32 remaining to seal the victory for the Tigers (4-4, 3-2 Colonial Athletic Association).

West rushed for 144 yards and Enders had 122 as the Tigers rolled up 321 yards on the ground. Enders was 16 of 28 for 269 passing yards, including a 78-yard TD to West to give Towson a 21-14 lead late in the first quarter.

For the Wildcats (6-3, 4-2), John Robertson also threw for four touchdowns on 17-of-23 passing for 216 yards and ran for a 5-yard score.

Villanova's Kevin Monangai added 103 yards rushing and caught two touchdown passes.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Towson 49, Villanova 35

VILLANOVA, Pa. -- Grant Enders passed for four touchdowns and rushed for another and Terrance West had two rushing TDs and one receiving score to help Towson outlast Villanova 49-35 Saturday.

The game was tied at 35 when West's 4-yard TD capped a 74-yard drive with 7:39 left in the third quarter.

Enders added a 40-yard romp with 2:32 remaining to seal the victory for the Tigers (4-4, 3-2 Colonial Athletic Association).

West rushed for 144 yards and Enders had 122 as the Tigers rolled up 321 yards on the ground. Enders was 16 of 28 for 269 passing yards, including a 78-yard TD to West to give Towson a 21-14 lead late in the first quarter.

For the Wildcats (6-3, 4-2), John Robertson also threw for four touchdowns on 17-of-23 passing for 216 yards and ran for a 5-yard score.

Villanova's Kevin Monangai added 103 yards rushing and caught two touchdown passes.

Was this meant for the Big 5 football thread? I guess as long as you're taking shots at nova it's ok. :twisted:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Towson 49, Villanova 35

Was this meant for the Big 5 football thread? I guess as long as you're taking shots at nova it's ok. :twisted:

I consider this to be the philly college sports thread.

And yes, all posts that rip the wanna be elitist school are welcome here.
  • Options
    ...back to basketball

it should be mandatory that all nova/temple games be played on saturday's. this year is a wednesday. :x probably won't be able to make it down to the dupont for that one. fuck that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ...back to basketball

it should be mandatory that all nova/temple games be played on saturday's. this year is a wednesday. :x probably won't be able to make it down to the dupont for that one. fuck that.

College Hoops opens up this weekend. Hawks open up monday night. I think Nova and LaSalle open up this weekend as well but not 100% sure. Hawks one of the favorites in the A10 this year. Should be really good but league is stacked. 2nd most returning NCAA tourny teams in one conference in America when you count Butler and VCU. Temple's last go round in the A10. I think all 3 Philly A10 teams have a shot at the tourny this year. I think LaSalle is going to have their best team since Lionel Simmons. I think they should be right there for a bid. Nova is going to suck again.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

I don't think anyone knows how to spell Archiando>That's why they just call him Ryan Arch> :lol: I haven't seen him play since his Frosh year, but my friends say he's pretty good. I do know he missed ALL of his Senior year with a injury(back problem i think).

25 pts on 11 attempts tonight. that's what you call efficient scoring.

i can't wait to finally see this kid in action soon. go cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

I don't think anyone knows how to spell Archiando>That's why they just call him Ryan Arch> :lol: I haven't seen him play since his Frosh year, but my friends say he's pretty good. I do know he missed ALL of his Senior year with a injury(back problem i think).

Hell yea(that is efficient).
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    cutz wrote:

Hell yea(that is efficient).

i think thursday's game is on tv. if he's as good as advertised before his injury, this nova lull might not last as long as we originally thought. i like their size with mouph and pinkston. back court seems improved with someone as talented as arch matched with bell and hilliard.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    ...back to basketball

College Hoops opens up this weekend. Hawks open up monday night. I think Nova and LaSalle open up this weekend as well but not 100% sure. Hawks one of the favorites in the A10 this year. Should be really good but league is stacked. 2nd most returning NCAA tourny teams in one conference in America when you count Butler and VCU. Temple's last go round in the A10. I think all 3 Philly A10 teams have a shot at the tourny this year. I think LaSalle is going to have their best team since Lionel Simmons. I think they should be right there for a bid. Nova is going to suck again.

Our farewell tour of the A-10 should be fun.

Talking all college sports is fine with me.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    interesting story about what happened to taylor king...

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... r-his-game
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Yes, that was an interesting read. BUT, i'm not surprised what was in the article.

I use to help out at the ABCD camp at Farleigh Dickinson, and his Dad(and the whole family i think) were ther. There was talk then that TK wanted to get AS FAR AWAY as he could from his old-man. I would even see the old-man at Tourney's in Fla. & NJ. His old-man would NEVER leave him alone, and let him just be a kid.

Still, TK has himself to blame too.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

Yes, that was an interesting read. BUT, i'm not surprised what was in the article.

I use to help out at the ABCD camp at Farleigh Dickinson, and his Dad(and the whole family i think) were ther. There was talk then that TK wanted to get AS FAR AWAY as he could from his old-man. I would even see the old-man at Tourney's in Fla. & NJ. His old-man would NEVER leave him alone, and let him just be a kid.

Still, TK has himself to blame too.

his dad definitely seemed like a real piece of work. saw a few stories on the nova message board about his dad having him in tears after games at nova. i don't think it full excuses his behavior but surely can see how the kid wanted to get away from things. i don't coach k or jay come off too good in the article. seems like both abandoned the kid pretty quickly figuring he wasn't worth the trouble.
  • Options
    First game at Kent St today at noon. GO OWLS!!!

• Options

Kent beat Drexel over the weekend so i think they are pretty decent. very interesting Owls team this year with all the new players. going to be interesting to see how they fit. think people are underrating the owls in the A10. still a good amount of talent there.

Hawks opened up with a yawner last night yale. didn't play well at all and still won by 26. yale was really bad. hawks go to the jay-z center (barclays) friday/saturday to play Notre Dame friday night and either Florida state or BYU saturday. Going to be very difficult to beat ND without tay jones who is still suspended. he is back for the 2nd game of that tourny on saturday night.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Kent beat Drexel over the weekend so i think they are pretty decent. very interesting Owls team this year with all the new players. going to be interesting to see how they fit. think people are underrating the owls in the A10. still a good amount of talent there.

Hawks opened up with a yawner last night yale. didn't play well at all and still won by 26. yale was really bad. hawks go to the jay-z center (barclays) friday/saturday to play Notre Dame friday night and either Florida state or BYU saturday. Going to be very difficult to beat ND without tay jones who is still suspended. he is back for the 2nd game of that tourny on saturday night.

Owls are going to start slow while trying to figure out their chemistry, but yeah I think they are very talented. Fran said at the season ticketholders event he didn't have any idea what his starting lineup would be.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Owls are going to start slow while trying to figure out their chemistry, but yeah I think they are very talented. Fran said at the season ticketholders event he didn't have any idea what his starting lineup would be.

hey johnny feel free to change the thread name to 2012-2013 :)
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    hey johnny feel free to change the thread name to 2012-2013 :)

Done.

• Options
    TU better hope Kent St. doesn't have good looking prostitutes! :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer