Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JK_Livin wrote:
    How about them Explorers kicking some Big Ten ass and on tv to boot. A very good showing but live by the 3 and die you'll die by the 3. I don't care if they were missing their best player. One more game for Garland to sit and he'll be active for Bucknell.

Congrats - that's a great win for you guys and the Big 5! Win your next 2 Big 5 games and we'll have a showdown for the title on 2/21. ;)

I'll take it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Gave the criminals from DC all they could handle today. Great effort.

Love what pat skerry has done with the towson program. Year or two away from a potential caa title and tourney berth.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311
    St. Joe - Nova tuesday at the Pavillion on the U. Hawks should be a few points favorite. hawks better at every position. should win the game.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,561
    pjhawks wrote:
    St. Joe - Nova tuesday at the Pavillion on the U. Hawks should be a few points favorite. hawks better at every position. should win the game.

temple was favored. st joes definitely will be.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    How bout them Fighting Illini. Finishing games much better than last year. Brandon Paul is a friggin stud.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    How bout them Fighting Illini. Finishing games much better than last year. Brandon Paul is a friggin stud.

are they playing towson anytime soon?

:? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    DewieCox wrote:

I assume you're referring to tomorrow's Temple game...

This team playing a whole bunch of low-tier schools... and Duke, Syracuse & Kansas. :?

Fixer, gonna be around Temple campus tomorrow night? Nevermind, you're probably afraid to go there. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    A10 super conference with the basketball only/catholic big east schools plus temple...again :lol:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... nce-source

:roll:

not a bad worst case scenario if it comes to it, i guess.

really hate all of this though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    A10 super conference with the basketball only/catholic big east schools plus temple...again :lol:

All this conference realignment is such nonsense. It's really hard to take college sports seriously when these schools just seem to do whatever the hell they want.

Having said that, it does kinda make sense for all these catholic big east schools that don't have football to form their own conference. No matter what happens, my school (DePaul) will suck.
  • Options
    683038.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ugly game but a good win against a halfway decent team. classic big 5 at the dupont tonight. better luck next year pj hawks.

i am cautiously optimistic about this nova squad...GO CATS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    683038.jpg

ugly game but a good win against a halfway decent team. classic big 5 at the dupont tonight. better luck next year pj hawks.

losing to nova is bad. losing to the worst nova team i've seen in 30 years is really bad. choking like dogs in the last 2 minutes...up 5 with 2 minutes and losing by 4 to a bad team is not only extremely difficult but just plain terrible. our punk ass center acting like a complete utter ahole and then choking is just embarrassing.

season looks to be spiraling out of control. phil's seat is as hot as andy reid's right now. not many happy campers. with an awful out of conference schedule this team is going to have to go about 12-4/13-3 in the A10 for at-large consideration...and at this point i see little chance of that happenening. only the ND game has the team played well. all the rest of been spotty at best. call me a sucker but i don't quit on my teams unlike some. go hawks.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,573

Yea, i'm not crazy about this either, but these schools have to do something. 21 teams is ridiculous. What? Play every team just once> :lol:

Hearing the hoop-heads on ESPN say this would be the end of the Big East. I say the Big East came to an end when they expanded a few years ago. I NEVER considered those teams Big East teams. They just so happen to play in The Big East confrence.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

Yea, i'm not crazy about this either, but these schools have to do something. 21 teams is ridiculous. What? Play every team just once> :lol:

Hearing the hoop-heads on ESPN say this would be the end of the Big East. I say the Big East came to an end when they expanded a few years ago. I NEVER considered those teams Big East teams. They just so happen to play in The Big East confrence.

21 A10 team league will never happen. no way g'town, nova and st. john's ever agree to that. and rightfully so. for those 3 going to a league with the likes of fordham duquesne and the bonnies is a massive step down. taking x, dayton, butler and maybe creighton or so makes way more sense than taking all the a10 schools.
  • Options
    Did that guy really double barrel the nova fans? :lol::lol::lol:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

yes. what an embarrassment. i suspect he will be suspended for it and rightfully so.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    pjhawks wrote:
    683038.jpg

losing to nova is bad. losing to the worst nova team i've seen in 30 years is really bad. choking like dogs in the last 2 minutes...up 5 with 2 minutes and losing by 4 to a bad team is not only extremely difficult but just plain terrible. our punk ass center acting like a complete utter ahole and then choking is just embarrassing.

season looks to be spiraling out of control. phil's seat is as hot as andy reid's right now. not many happy campers. with an awful out of conference schedule this team is going to have to go about 12-4/13-3 in the A10 for at-large consideration...and at this point i see little chance of that happenening. only the ND game has the team played well. all the rest of been spotty at best. call me a sucker but i don't quit on my teams unlike some. go hawks.

you think no tournament = martelli being canned at end of year?

and this isn't the worst nova team in the last 30 years :lol: far cry from a few years ago, but there's some talent there. if the put forth the kind of effort they showed last night consistently, i see them potentially being a bubble team come march. always fun to beat st joes though.

good sign for nova is they did not play very well and came away with a w.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

more turnovers than points :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

and this isn't the worst nova team in the last 30 years :lol: far cry from a few years ago, but there's some talent there. if the put forth the kind of effort they showed last night consistently, i see them potentially being a bubble team come march. always fun to beat st joes though.

i think it's about 60-40 Phil would be fired. his contract runs until 2016 so someone has to come up with a buyout unless he decides to resign. word after last season was that there were some big donors not happy with him and the natives are restless. only reason season tickets and donations didn't drop off last year was because of the nova and temple home games at Hagen. no tourny this year could lead to more defections from the fans. that is not good. also there is a new school president this year who was courtside last night . halil actions were embarrassing to the University and are all over the media and internet. that does not look good for Phil. next home game is 12/22 and it's gonna be ugly in there.

as for Nova Juggler I appreciate your passion but this team has very little Big East level talent. Pinkston is really the only one i see who is close to an upper level Big East talent. Arch maybe down the line but not yet. the rest are strictly average or below average Big East talent at this time. no way this team finishes in the Top 8 of the league. i still think you are looking at about a 14 win season.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

i think it's about 60-40 Phil would be fired. his contract runs until 2016 so someone has to come up with a buyout unless he decides to resign. word after last season was that there were some big donors not happy with him and the natives are restless. only reason season tickets and donations didn't drop off last year was because of the nova and temple home games at Hagen. no tourny this year could lead to more defections from the fans. that is not good. also there is a new school president this year who was courtside last night . halil actions were embarrassing to the University and are all over the media and internet. that does not look good for Phil. next home game is 12/22 and it's gonna be ugly in there.

as for Nova Juggler I appreciate your passion but this team has very little Big East level talent. Pinkston is really the only one i see who is close to an upper level Big East talent. Arch maybe down the line but not yet. the rest are strictly average or below average Big East talent at this time. no way this team finishes in the Top 8 of the league. i still think you are looking at about a 14 win season.

they should win a little more than 14. i realize 13 is what is being projected on some rpi sites. but they had 13 wins last year and this team is better than that. last 2 years the st joes game would have been a loss/same with vandy.

season will probably play out similarly to jay's first few years here with an nit berth. with any luck they win a couple they're not expected to and they're in the mix on selection sunday.

big east is not as good as it's been in year's past too, which should help.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Wildcats had scored on more than two consecutive possessions just once all game, right at the end of the first half when they scored on three. If the Hawks had just played sound defense, it was going to be a hard game to lose.

Kanacevic fouled Bell 25 feet from the basket. Bell calmly made a pair. Kanacevic threw a backdoor pass to Galloway into a very tight window. Bell stole it. After a Daniel Ochefu follow basket, Kanacevic was fouled with 45.8 seconds left. Shooting into that student section, now completely crazed, he missed a pair.

Bell hit a three from the left corner. After an ugly SJU possession, the Hawks ended up with the ball on the sideline in the deep right corner with 3 seconds left, trailing by two points, without a timeout. Nobody was open. Kanacevic, fearful of a 5-second call, threw it off Mo Sutton. The ball caromed over the sideline, hitting Kanacevic. Turnover. Bell two free throws. Game over.

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    Was that game on TV last night?

Funny how every year SJU is supposed to be so great and then they still suck.

That giant conference should be called the A-21; it has a nice ring to it. So Temple would NOT be in that conference? This is gonna be a real shit show. I guess they get a lot of money from the football program, but you've got to admit to yourself what you are, and what Temple is is a basketball school. I actually enjoyed the football games more when they were in the MAC. :roll:

Towson tonight. HERE WE GO!!! :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Was that game on TV last night?

Funny how every year SJU is supposed to be so great and then they still suck.

That giant conference should be called the A-21; it has a nice ring to it. So Temple would NOT be in that conference? This is gonna be a real shit show. I guess they get a lot of money from the football program, but you've got to admit to yourself what you are, and what Temple is is a basketball school. I actually enjoyed the football games more when they were in the MAC. :roll:

Towson tonight. HERE WE GO!!! :lol:

this is the 1st year since 2004 we were supposed to be great so not sure where that comment comes from.

must be nice though to cheer for a team that has 1 tourny win in 8 years (or a whopping 1 more than the hawks and lasalle) and the integrity and class to not to suspend a sexual offender for even one game.
  • Options
    I like that this kid has raised the temp in the Big 5 rivalry again. It was better when everyone wasn't so supportive of each others schools. He has set the bar with a double barrel. Who will top it?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Man, look what Temple did to the Big East.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... d-to-split
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Man, look what Temple did to the Big East.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... d-to-split

i'm sick to my stomach over this nonsense. the basketball schools better be able to keep the big east name at least
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I assume you're referring to tomorrow's Temple game...

This team playing a whole bunch of low-tier schools... and Duke, Syracuse & Kansas. :?

Fixer, gonna be around Temple campus tomorrow night? Nevermind, you're probably afraid to go there. ;)

Didn't get to see the game the other night. From the box score it looked like Benimon was a beast :D ...rest of the squad, not so much.

3 years ago Pat Kennedy (yes, the same guy who coached sam cassell and bob sura at FSU) would have lost a game like that by 35 points. Towson's program is definitely going in the right direction. Just not quite ready to beat the Temples and Gtowns yet.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I like that this kid has raised the temp in the Big 5 rivalry again. It was better when everyone wasn't so supportive of each others schools. He has set the bar with a double barrel. Who will top it?

seriously. I don't understand why people root for rivalry teams or teams from the same conf as the team they root for.

then again, I don't understand how people can pretend to be die hard fans of schools they didn't attend/ have an affiliation with either. Poseurs
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    The Fixer wrote:
    then again, I don't understand how people can pretend to be die hard fans of schools they didn't attend/ have an affiliation with either. Poseurs

I've grown up my whole life as a fan of Illinois basketball. No affiliation whatsoever, but I live about an hour away. I guess being that close is what made my family fans, but I've rooted for them since I can remember.

Love watching basketball and regular season NBA is awful to watch on a night in/out basis and I want a team to root for.

Don't think an affiliation is necessary really either. I don't have to be a part owner or season ticket holder to root for pro teams to not be a fraud, so I don't think I have to attend a school to pull for them. Not like I'm pulling for Kentucky hoops and Notre Dame football.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I've grown up my whole life as a fan of Illinois basketball. No affiliation whatsoever, but I live about an hour away. I guess being that close is what made my family fans, but I've rooted for them since I can remember.

Love watching basketball and regular season NBA is awful to watch on a night in/out basis and I want a team to root for.

Don't think an affiliation is necessary really either. I don't have to be a part owner or season ticket holder to root for pro teams to not be a fraud, so I don't think I have to attend a school to pull for them. Not like I'm pulling for Kentucky hoops and Notre Dame football.

yeah, fixer is the only guy i've ever encountered who doesn't understand this concept.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Big game for the Explorers v. Bucknell tomorrow. Ty Garland is now active.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer