The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    probably the best college basketball win i've seen live. awesome game.

mouph was crashing the boards all game. hilliard was on fire. the freshman hitting the clutch 3 at the end of regulation. crowd rushing the court. non stop bloody mary's from start to finish. good times....

first time nova has beaten two top 5 teams in one week. at least 5 more wins coupled with a win or two at the garden and i think this team is dancing. 6 wins would definitely make things a little less stressful though.

going out on a limb here, but no other bubble team will have two wins vs top 5 teams on their resume.

feels good to be checking the bracketology updates regularly again. :thumbup:

GO CATS!

great week for Cats and Explorers. Jay should win National Coach of the Year if he takes this slop of a roster to the NCAAs (even in a down year in the Big East). and it's looking like he will unless there is a melt down. shows you what playing really hard all the time and believing can do for you in college basketball. playing really good D.

LaSalle quite impressive to beat Butler and VCU back to back. if LaSalle can finish in the top 4 in the A10 they should be in line for a bid. they need to avoid a let down in the next week or two though.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    slop of a roster :lol:

it is a down year for the big east, but they're still looking at more bids than any other conference at this point...
    www.myspace.com

it is a down year for the big east, but they're still looking at more bids than any other conference at this point...

no pros on that roster Juggler. only Pinkston is a top level Big East talent. none of those other guys will ever make an all Big East team. as for the league I think they have a bunch of good teams but only Louisville is a true final 4 contender. syracuse is good but they are an early out (boeheim hasn't made it past the sweet 16 since 2001 i believe...this year won't be any different). the rest are all pretty much the same. lack of scorers in the league but lack of scoring seems to be an issue with a lot of college basketball these days.
    pjhawks wrote:

no pros on that roster Juggler. only Pinkston is a top level Big East talent. none of those other guys will ever make an all Big East team. as for the league I think they have a bunch of good teams but only Louisville is a true final 4 contender. syracuse is good but they are an early out (boeheim hasn't made it past the sweet 16 since 2001 i believe...this year won't be any different). the rest are all pretty much the same. lack of scorers in the league but lack of scoring seems to be an issue with a lot of college basketball these days.

ha...yeah, not having any pros is a lot different than saying the roster is slop. plus they had a nba player last year and that team was awful so that doesn't mean much.

in addition to pinkston, who doesn't get nearly the minutes he deserves, hilliard is developing into a nice player. the two freshman look good. arch will probably make the big east all rookie team. they've been much better since ochefu replaced sutton in the starting lineup.

they have a bunch of nice players. no star. but they play well together. they're tough like jay's other good teams. and they play very good defense.

love how this team is coming along so far. entertaining season.

also--syracuse lost in the elite 8 last year and made it to the sweet 16 in 3 of the last 4 years and won the championship with melo '03. def a final four contender this year. that's a quality team.
    www.myspace.com
    also--syracuse lost in the elite 8 last year and made it to the sweet 16 in 3 of the last 4 years and won the championship with melo '03. def a final four contender this year. that's a quality team.

totally don't recall them being in the final 8 last year but see they were. so thats twice since 2001 past the sweet 16. i stand corrected.

and jay definitely has them playing great team ball. lots of credit to him as i said above.
    yeah they lost to ohio st. sullinger was a beast in that one...

either way--great week for the big 5.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

mouph was crashing the boards all game. hilliard was on fire. the freshman hitting the clutch 3 at the end of regulation. crowd rushing the court. non stop bloody mary's from start to finish. good times....

first time nova has beaten two top 5 teams in one week. at least 5 more wins coupled with a win or two at the garden and i think this team is dancing. 6 wins would definitely make things a little less stressful though.

going out on a limb here, but no other bubble team will have two wins vs top 5 teams on their resume.

GO CATS!
    I'm still not sure how Nova hung on. The were turning the ball over way too much and missing FT's but their D shut Cuse down for the final 3 min of regulation. Maybe now that Jay Wright isn't living at home, he's a little more focused on coaching. ;) A great win for them period.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I can't believe LaSalle won both their games this week. One of the best weeks for LaSalle in a long time.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

GO CATS!
    I'm still not sure how Nova hung on. The were turning the ball over way too much and missing FT's but their D shut Cuse down for the final 3 min of regulation. Maybe now that Jay Wright isn't living at home, he's a little more focused on coaching. ;) A great win for them period.

yeah...you just had that feeling that it wasn't meant to be at that point.....

mouph with the o rebound and kick out to arch at the end---probably the smartest basketball play he's ever made. i was certain he was going to just lay it back in and then nova would be forced to foul with hardly any time left..
    www.myspace.com
    lasalle and nova both "recieving votes" now

lunardi has nova, lasalle, and temple as 3 of his last 4 in...

:clap:
    www.myspace.com

i realize it's super early...but all 3 teams are 12 seeds with nova and temple as play-in teams.
    www.myspace.com

i realize it's super early...but all 3 teams are 12 seeds with nova and temple as play-in teams.

those play-in games are a little strange. it's good that 4 more teams make the tourny but i got to think if you lose that play-in game you can't really feel like you were even in the tournament.
    pjhawks wrote:

those play-in games are a little strange. it's good that 4 more teams make the tourny but i got to think if you lose that play-in game you can't really feel like you were even in the tournament.

yeah i was saying that to someone yesterday too. hopefully they do well enough down the stretch to avoid that.
    www.myspace.com
    No let down tonight. Go Explorers v. Umass. How did GW beat Charlotte by 30 in Charlotte?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    No let down tonight. Go Explorers v. Umass. How did GW beat Charlotte by 30 in Charlotte?

wow a 1 point loss? that's rough man...

not too upset with the nova loss. that is a tough place to win. fought till the end. gotta do a much better job defending the 3 though. only 8 turnovers.

cannot lose to providence again on sunday. i'm trying to get tickets. we shall see.

also--i watched tonight's game on the Watch ESPN app on my phone. any of you guys have this? fucking phenomenal. crystal clear as if i was watching it in hd. just have to to log in with your fios or comcast login info and boom--there you go. i can't believe i never knew about this until tonight...
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:

not too upset with the nova loss. that is a tough place to win. fought till the end. gotta do a much better job defending the 3 though. only 8 turnovers.

cannot lose to providence again on sunday. i'm trying to get tickets. we shall see.

also--i watched tonight's game on the Watch ESPN app on my phone. any of you guys have this? fucking phenomenal. crystal clear as if i was watching it in hd. just have to to log in with your fios or comcast login info and boom--there you go. i can't believe i never knew about this until tonight...
    Doesn't matter how many points, that was a huge let down. Ugly loss.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Doesn't matter how many points, that was a huge let down. Ugly loss.

tough loss but Umass is pretty good. Lasalle just needs to get into the top 4 and good things will happen.

Hawks get Temple at Hagan on saturday evening. Both teams scuffling some. Winner can get back in the hunt for top 4, loser looks like go down to mid pack 8th or 9th place. expect a tight game and lots of khalif wyatt whining :D
    is temple/st joes on tv tonight?
    www.myspace.com
  • is temple/st joes on tv tonight?

CBS-SN. Not in high def on fios. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    is temple/st joes on tv tonight?

CBS-SN. Not in high def on fios. :roll:

i don't understand how this is possible in 2013. nova/lasalle was on that channel too and i didnt' realize it until it went into overtime.

looking forward to michigan and iu tonight too.
    www.myspace.com
    Hawks over Temple on saturday night in a good one. Can see both teams are flawed offensively though. Temple pretty much all Wyatt right now and the Hawks lack consistency minute to minute on offense. Entertaining game though. As much as I dislike Wyatt's demeanor at times he was fantastic the other night and even seemed to enjoy the atmosphere. that 3 to cut it to one was a bomb. Think he messed up at the end though by taking it all the way to the lane. If he pulls up he either sinks it or we foul him.

Lunardi still has Temple as one of his last 4 in as of tonight. I think Nova was last 4 out? Didn't see any of the Nova game this weekend. LaSalle with a good win at GW. I still think LaSalle is going to end up making it. I think they are going to smoke the Hawks. That's on 2/16 at the Palestra. Hawks get at Dayton and at Umass this week. Gotta go 2-0 to move up closer to top of league and at least get close to some talk about tourny. last i saw RPI was at 79 which is not nearly close enough.
    nova...absolutely shooting the lights out right now....depaul blows :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    It's weird not having a mid-week game for LaSalle.

I watched the last 2 minutes of the St. Joe's game. Down 4 with 27 secs left and they take a quick, very long 3. I don't understand that. Get a quick 2 and extend the game.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

I watched the last 2 minutes of the St. Joe's game. Down 4 with 27 secs left and they take a quick, very long 3. I don't understand that. Get a quick 2 and extend the game.

hawks have a low basketball IQ. 2nd most frustrating season in over 20 years. Phil has become Speedy Morris. 4-4 in the league now. dayton blows, hawks had a 7 point lead then started jacking up lousy shots and gave it away in the last 12 minutes and for some godforsaken reason we had our worst defender (tay jones) guarding there best player (dilliard) who torched him. just awful. good news is next game is at Umass on saturday where they are expecting 2 feet of snow.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

hawks have a low basketball IQ. 2nd most frustrating season in over 20 years. Phil has become Speedy Morris. 4-4 in the league now. dayton blows, hawks had a 7 point lead then started jacking up lousy shots and gave it away in the last 12 minutes and for some godforsaken reason we had our worst defender (tay jones) guarding there best player (dilliard) who torched him. just awful. good news is next game is at Umass on saturday where they are expecting 2 feet of snow.

...i'd love 2 feet of snow down here. sick of all these little coating to an inch snowfalls wev'e been getting. just give me one big fucking blizzard and then give me spring a few weeks later.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

...i'd love 2 feet of snow down here. sick of all these little coating to an inch snowfalls wev'e been getting. just give me one big fucking blizzard and then give me spring a few weeks later.

Ditto.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    i'm really loving the way nova is playing right now. just destroyed 2 lowly big east teams. last couple nova teams would have struggled for those wins.

quite a few ways this team can beat you. hilliard is developing into a pretty decent big east player--averaging about 17ppg in his last 9 games or so. mouph and ochefu are playing beastlike down low. pinkston still plugging along. arch only had 3 points, but 4 assists to 0 turnovers is great sign. he is playing much less out of control as opposed to a month ago.

big test coming up this week at cinci and at uconn. if they can split, i'd be feeling pretty, pretty good heading towards the home stretch.
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    Did anyone catch the end of Temple-Dayton?

See the ref call a PHANTOM foul?

Scootie Randall was NEVER touched. That clock should've ran out and ended the game.
    cutz wrote:

Scootie Randall was NEVER touched. That clock should've ran out and ended the game.

my buddy is a temple fan and said he almost had a heart attack watching the end of that game
    www.myspace.com
    cutz wrote:

yes than right after that they called a ridiculous touch foul on temple giving dayton 2 foul shots with the chance to win before the guy bricked them. 2 god awful calls against temple there.

off topic but how about nd-louisville game. came home that night and put it on late 2nd half and couldn't stop wathcing through the 5 overtimes. best part was the contrast between the coaches. mike brey having fun with it and pitino looking like he was gonna have a coronary.

and michigan-wisconsin with an incredible ending. love Bo Ryan but can't fathom not fouling with 3 fouls to give and letting Hardaway jr. take a 3 to put them up before wisconsin bangs a 40 footer to tie which of course michigan should have fouled.

just don't understand coaches not fouling up 3 in the last 5 to 7 seconds. only once i have ever seen a team foul and still lose (miss. st. vs. kentucky in sec tourny a few years ago). it just makes no sense not fouling in that situation. at least 4 things have to go right for the team down to tie the game if they are fouled.