Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311
    pjhawks wrote:
    Hawks get Butler at Hagan tonight. Really looking forward to this game. Huge Brad Stevens fan...little bit of man crush to be honest. I think game goes to wire. Love conference play. Bring it on.

looks like it was fairly close till the end...

nova is handling south florida, it appears. they haven't beaten them in quite a while. need this one before schedule toughens up.

was a great college basketball game and great atmosphere...just a lousy result again. Hawks played fairly well until about the last 6 minutes. Butler is really good. they just play, possession after possession they are the same. never take a play off so never have droughts and always in the game. Rotnei Clarke is really good. Great shot, good handle, tough as nails. Really like his game. Butler got 52 of 72 points and 37 of 62 shots from their 2 best players. our top two guards were a combined 6 for 19 from the field and 1 for 7 from 3 and scored only 18 points. that won't get it done. Phil just can't win close games. another season drifting away from us.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    LaSalle folds on the road again!!!!!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,561
    getting tix to the cuse game in a couple weeks. pretty big contingent heading down looks like. will be kind of weird since tip off is at 11am though. :?

nova has been encouraging thus far. brutal 6 game stretch coming up.

i think 9-9 in the big east is a possibility even if they only win a couple of these next 6 though.

just show me some fight on saturday. GO CATS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    Owls lost to Xavier the other night. I didn't see it, but apparently X had a 19-2 run in the 2nd half to put the game mostly out of reach. I bet Dunph never bothered to call a timeout during the run. :roll: He acts like you can carry those over to the next game or next season or something.

Home vs. St. Louis tonight - should be a good one. A-10 is tough.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    good effort yesterday. couldn't knock anything down though. ochefu and mouph play well together.

pinkston needs more minutes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,573
    good effort yesterday. couldn't knock anything down though. ochefu and mouph play well together.

pinkston needs more minutes.

Was thinking the same thing with Pinkston, as i was watching the game. I wonder why he didn't play more?
  • Options
    Hawks had another opportunity for a big win against VCU on the road and choked it away in almost comical fashion. 14 seconds left up 4 get a defensive rebound...and fucking lose. pretty hard to do. get the rebound and our center falls on top of our guard making him travel (30 seconds after our power forward slipped on th floor with the ball with no one within 30 feet on him), leave the best 3 point shooter in the league wide open for a 3, inbounds to our 2nd worst foul shooter, make 1 out of 2, give up a wide open layup for the tie, don't get a shot off in the last 6 seconds. it's games like last night that make me question being a sports fan. seriously why do i torture myself?
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,573
    pjhawks wrote:
    Hawks had another opportunity for a big win against VCU on the road and choked it away in almost comical fashion. 14 seconds left up 4 get a defensive rebound...and fucking lose. pretty hard to do. get the rebound and our center falls on top of our guard making him travel (30 seconds after our power forward slipped on th floor with the ball with no one within 30 feet on him), leave the best 3 point shooter in the league wide open for a 3, inbounds to our 2nd worst foul shooter, make 1 out of 2, give up a wide open layup for the tie, don't get a shot off in the last 6 seconds. it's games like last night that make me question being a sports fan. seriously why do i torture myself?

Agree.

Also wonder how many LAY-UPS they gave up? Seemed like ALOT to me.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,698
    the only college hoops thread I know of, so let me vent here.....

last night, my team is up SEVEN with THREE seconds left. tho other fucking team fouls on the inbound :roll:

this, of course, is after the previous 5-6 intentional fouls. they need to do something about that shit :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    year away from a legit shot at a tourney berth (ineligible this year). Skerry has done an amazing job in just his second year and Benimon is an animal.

:thumbup:

STANDINGS CONFERENCE OVERALL
    Colonial W-L GB PCT W-L PCT STRK

Northeastern 6-0 -- 1.000 11-7 .611 W6
    Towson 5-1 1 .833 10-9 .526 W2
    George Mason 4-2 2 .667 11-7 .611 W2
    Delaware 3-2 2.5 .600 8-10 .444 L2
    Georgia State 3-3 3 .500 8-11 .421 W2
    James Madison 3-3 3 .500 9-10 .474 L2
    North Carolina-Wilmington 2-3 3.5 .400 7-10 .412 W2
    Drexel 2-3 3.5 .400 6-11 .353 W1
    Hofstra 2-3 3.5 .400 5-13 .278 L2
    William & Mary 1-5 5 .167 7-10 .412 L7
    Old Dominion 0-6 6 .000 2-16 .111 L6
  • Options
    getting tix to the cuse game in a couple weeks. pretty big contingent heading down looks like. will be kind of weird since tip off is at 11am though. :?

nova has been encouraging thus far. brutal 6 game stretch coming up.

i think 9-9 in the big east is a possibility even if they only win a couple of these next 6 though.

just show me some fight on saturday. GO CATS.

FINALLY! :clap::clap::mrgreen:

biggest win in at least 3 years here. but now that stupid providence loss really hurts...not to mention columbia.

but a big step in the right direction tonight. loved the defense and overall effort. can't wait for saturday.

CATS WIN!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I really haven't seen either Nova or The Ville play this year but beating a top 5 team is a good win.

LaSalle has a tough week with #8 Butler tonight and #19 VCU on Saturday. Jerrell Wright must stay out of foul trouble for them to have a chance in either game. Good teams get him on the bench early because he's undisciplined on D.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I really haven't seen either Nova or The Ville play this year but beating a top 5 team is a good win.

LaSalle has a tough week with #8 Butler tonight and #19 VCU on Saturday. Jerrell Wright must stay out of foul trouble for them to have a chance in either game. Good teams get him on the bench early because he's undisciplined on D.

i like Lasalle over Butler tonight. Butler probably still playing without Rotnei Clarke, coming off a big win saturday night over the Zags. Take LaSalle

Hawks get the Bonnies tonight and Xavier saturday both at home. still can't figure this team out. some nights look real good and others not very good. need to get on a roll starting now.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

:clap::clap:

nice couple of nights for big 5 teams (at least these two)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

:clap::clap:

nice couple of nights for big 5 teams (at least these two)

3 Big 5 teams have now knocked off Top 10 teams this season. of course my pathetic loser Hawks are not one of them. 1st time in over 20 years there was booing at the Hawks game tonight. down 25 in the 1st half to the Bonnies. absolute cluster fuck of a season. picked 1st in the A10 by the coaches and now at 1-3 in the league with 2 home losses and already about 10 games in suspensions and discipline issues including tay jones not starting tongiht because of an altercation with a player at practice. phil has lost all control.
  • Options
    Only LaSalle could screw up a court storming. The kids stormed were called off for a potential clock issue, then stormed again. What a great win. Our half court O still leaves a lot to be desired but I'll soak this in for a few days.

What's up with St. Bonnies? What was their preseason A-10 ranking because after losing Nicholson I wasn't expecting much.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Only LaSalle could screw up a court storming. The kids stormed were called off for a potential clock issue, then stormed again. What a great win. Our half court O still leaves a lot to be desired but I'll soak this in for a few days.

What's up with St. Bonnies? What was their preseason A-10 ranking because after losing Nicholson I wasn't expecting much.

the Bonnies were picked like 13th or something. they were 0-3 in the league before coming to philly this week and beating both temple and the hawks. they run really good offensive sets and make a bunch of 3s. i think they lead in A10 in 3-point shooting but they are one of the worst defensive teams. hawks shot an amazingly bad 2-22 from 3.

when you haven't beat a top 10 team since 1980 hard to know how to storm the court :D great win though. Lasalle putting themselves in position to get into NCAA discussion.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

the Bonnies were picked like 13th or something. they were 0-3 in the league before coming to philly this week and beating both temple and the hawks. they run really good offensive sets and make a bunch of 3s. i think they lead in A10 in 3-point shooting but they are one of the worst defensive teams. hawks shot an amazingly bad 2-22 from 3.

when you haven't beat a top 10 team since 1980 hard to know how to storm the court :D great win though. Lasalle putting themselves in position to get into NCAA discussion.

I know, right. I just looked up St. Bonnies and they had close losses to X and VCU.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Barry Larkin's kid for Miami is tough. He could be a stud PG. No one could cover him.

Maybe LaSalle's loss to Miami doesn't look so bad now. Once again Dook looks slow.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    going to nova/syracuse on saturday. fucking 11am tip off. xfinity doesn't even open till 11.... :?

quite an odd time to start a game.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice wins for Nova & Lasalle.

Owls lost first ever home vs St Bona (30-1), combined with atrocious loss to Canisius and just barely beat Penn. I just don't think this team is very good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The A-10 is either better than I thought or more average. Richmond beats VCU last night and the Bonnies v. Joes and TU. Not to mention X's up and down season. I guess it will make for a tight finish and good tournament. Too bad it's in Brooklyn this year.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The A-10 is either better than I thought or more average. Richmond beats VCU last night and the Bonnies v. Joes and TU. Not to mention X's up and down season. I guess it will make for a tight finish and good tournament. Too bad it's in Brooklyn this year.

i think there is more depth of good to solid teams than usual. the teams that finish 5-10 this year are way better than normal for the A10. I think Butler when Clarke is healthly is the really the only top 15 level team. VCU is pretty good but not quite at the level. Temple is kind of baffling. Haven't seen Temple play much recently so not sure what is going on there. But even Charlotte who was picked around 12th is 16-3 overall (their non-conference schedule was ranked about 300 though).

Looks like a 4 bid league right now. Butler and VCU solid for bids, Temple, St. Louis with a lead but need to play solid still to confirm bids. Xavier, LaSalle and Charlotte lurking. charlotte has a 5 game stretch in feb where they play temple, butler, vcu, st. louis and temple again which will determine their fate.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

i think there is more depth of good to solid teams than usual. the teams that finish 5-10 this year are way better than normal for the A10. I think Butler when Clarke is healthly is the really the only top 15 level team. VCU is pretty good but not quite at the level. Temple is kind of baffling. Haven't seen Temple play much recently so not sure what is going on there. But even Charlotte who was picked around 12th is 16-3 overall (their non-conference schedule was ranked about 300 though).

Looks like a 4 bid league right now. Butler and VCU solid for bids, Temple, St. Louis with a lead but need to play solid still to confirm bids. Xavier, LaSalle and Charlotte lurking. charlotte has a 5 game stretch in feb where they play temple, butler, vcu, st. louis and temple again which will determine their fate.

Owls have only two guys who can shoot, and one (Obrien) is often mysteriously stuck on the bench while we watch Scootie Randall chuck bricks.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,303
    going to nova/syracuse on saturday. fucking 11am tip off. xfinity doesn't even open till 11.... :?

quite an odd time to start a game.

i forgot they were playing that early and I couldn't find it on tv. Eventually found it on ESPNU. Great game and win for Nova :clap:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    probably the best college basketball win i've seen live. awesome game.

mouph was crashing the boards all game. hilliard was on fire. the freshman hitting the clutch 3 at the end of regulation. crowd rushing the court. non stop bloody mary's from start to finish. good times....

first time nova has beaten two top 5 teams in one week. at least 5 more wins coupled with a win or two at the garden and i think this team is dancing. 6 wins would definitely make things a little less stressful though.

going out on a limb here, but no other bubble team will have two wins vs top 5 teams on their resume.

feels good to be checking the bracketology updates regularly again. :thumbup:

GO CATS!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663

mouph was crashing the boards all game. hilliard was on fire. the freshman hitting the clutch 3 at the end of regulation. crowd rushing the court. non stop bloody mary's from start to finish. good times....

first time nova has beaten two top 5 teams in one week. at least 5 more wins coupled with a win or two at the garden and i think this team is dancing. 6 wins would definitely make things a little less stressful though.

going out on a limb here, but no other bubble team will have two wins vs top 5 teams on their resume.

GO CATS!

Dumb

I hate that little white guard with the stupid name.
  • Options
    Good wins for Nova & Lasalle.

The Temple-Butler game clearly showed the disparity in the quality of coaching each team has. :evil:

• Options
    Good wins for Nova & Lasalle.

The Temple-Butler game clearly showed the disparity in the quality of coaching each team has. :evil:

Cool thread.

Temple alum who couldn't help but weigh in and agree completely with you. I thought Dunphy would bring more to the table at this point. What is his plan here? For a team that was going to the Big East (before it completely became something else entirely) they have no talent. The cupboard is bare for next season. He has no control over Wyatt and lets them go into extended offensive funks where they launch horrible shots and he just watches it. This is his team now, no more Chaney guys, all his recruits and its a hodepodge of mismatched parts. I know he brought the program back to some relevancy but they are in danger of heading backwards. It doesn't help that they are moving to a half-assed conference next year that will surely impact recruiting.

As much as it pains me great wins this week by LaSalle and Nova, way to rep the Big 5 nationally.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

GO CATS!

Dumb

I hate that little white guard with the stupid name.

:lol:

i'd say get used to him, but since your squad is hightailing it off to the acc next year....beat it.
    chinese-happy.jpg