Toronto Maple Leafs

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    From last night game, does anyone really believe that this team is anywhere close to a playoff team?

that was one of the worse games i Have EVER seen in my life.

I just want to see if there is a Fire Burke chant today. This team has no heart and very little talent.

I just want to see how leafs fan are going to react when Kessel decides that he doesn't want to play here in 2 years.

I thought they might have been a playoff contender. But agree this team is no where near close to being a playoff team. Burke has been there 4 years and this is the team he put together :lol::lol:.

I always knew that this team was not a playoff team. the defense is so weak and over paid. leaf management put way to much stock in Reimer and the forwards are very small and while yes they are fast, they do not have any heart.

after the komi fight, the leafs showed no heart and no battle to try to even do something.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fife wrote:
    I always knew that this team was not a playoff team. the defense is so weak and over paid. leaf management put way to much stock in Reimer and the forwards are very small and while yes they are fast, they do not have any heart.

after the komi fight, the leafs showed no heart and no battle to try to even do something.

i disagree ... there was enough talent to make the playoffs this year ... in the end - they will miss the playoffs probably by like 4-6 pts ... that's not a lot ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

i disagree ... there was enough talent to make the playoffs this year ... in the end - they will miss the playoffs probably by like 4-6 pts ... that's not a lot ...

almost making the playoffs will not win championships...Burke is not that great of a GM...he really hasn't won anywhere...he took over the Ducks and most of the Championship pieces were in place...same as Carlyle he took over from Babcock. It shouldn't take 4 years to get into the playoffs, he has had plenty of time to turn it around...leaf fans should still be pissed that Burke traded 2 first round picks for Kessel...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    St. Louis Blues are surprising first entrants into NHL postseason

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ell ... 138.column

If Leaf fans don't think turn around's quickly are possible just look at St. Louis...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:

If Leaf fans don't think turn around's quickly are possible just look at St. Louis...

no kidding ... it's all about team play and good coaching ... the leafs were out of shape and badly coached this year ... they were in the playoff picture really through talent ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

no kidding ... it's all about team play and good coaching ... the leafs were out of shape and badly coached this year ... they were in the playoff picture really through talent ...

I agree coaching was a huge part of their problem...but Burke stuck with Wilson...that's on Burke...I assume Burke attended many practices...did he not see that they were out of shape? he attended games...did he not see how poor defensively they are? how they lacked team work? that is all on him...he was hired to make those decisions about coaching.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I agree coaching was a huge part of their problem...but Burke stuck with Wilson...that's on Burke...I assume Burke attended many practices...did he not see that they were out of shape? he attended games...did he not see how poor defensively they are? how they lacked team work? that is all on him...he was hired to make those decisions about coaching.

yeah i agree ... but the team was in the playoff picture through most of the season ... you can't really fire a guy when he's got you into the playoffs (or at least appeared to) ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

4-6 points in the nhl now is actually alot considering the whole 3 point game.

as you can tell, i don't think Toronto has that much talent and if you look at the playoff teams right now who would you say has less talent than the leafs.
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

yeah i agree ... but the team was in the playoff picture through most of the season ... you can't really fire a guy when he's got you into the playoffs (or at least appeared to) ...

I think Burke should have fired Wilson after last season...but successful coach's sometime do get fired. I remember Detroit fired Dave Lewis after 2 48 win seasons and making the playoffs and Pittsburgh fired Michel Therrien and they were in the hunt. This year Boudreau...so there is precedent.

fife wrote:

as you can tell, i don't think Toronto has that much talent and if you look at the playoff teams right now who would you say has less talent than the leafs.

what do you mean by 3 point game?

i think the issue is that there is a lot of parity in the leagure right now ... there's only 11 points separating playoffs and last in the eastern conference ... it's gonna be tight and a win here or there makes all the difference ...

i believe talent is important but believe more in team play ... as well as continuity which is tied to team play ... i think the teams that are IN the playoffs have executed better as a team but that they are only a few bad games away from missing the playoffs ...
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I think Burke should have fired Wilson after last season...but successful coach's sometime do get fired. I remember Detroit fired Dave Lewis after 2 48 win seasons and making the playoffs and Pittsburgh fired Michel Therrien and they were in the hunt. This year Boudreau...so there is precedent.

i agree ... but it's rare that a coach who has a decent record is gonna get fired ... the caps were struggling when they fired boudreau ... same as when any other coach gets fired ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

i think the issue is that there is a lot of parity in the leagure right now ... there's only 11 points separating playoffs and last in the eastern conference ... it's gonna be tight and a win here or there makes all the difference ...

i believe talent is important but believe more in team play ... as well as continuity which is tied to team play ... i think the teams that are IN the playoffs have executed better as a team but that they are only a few bad games away from missing the playoffs ...

this is not the old days where 11 points was not alot. 11 points now is a very large lead in points. team play is important and I agree with you on that but talent is still very much needed. You need a couple of players that can take over a game when things are not going well. Most teams have that but Toronto doesn't.
    I would rank last night game to be worse than the boston game. again where is the heart of this team?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,674
    fife wrote:
    I would rank last night game to be worse than the boston game. again where is the heart of this team?

agree 100% on last nights play, I'm not one of those guys that says they should tank just to get the draft pick, but at this moment in time and after last nights game and with the lack of heart and effort they seem to be showing of late, I hope they keep losing.
    Maybe we will get a good draft pick for once and I hope they don't pick that Russian kid that plays in Sarnia if they are up there high enough to get him
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

I think that in the east, there is a huge difference between the top 4, and the rest. In the west, there are more
    teams that have a good shot against stl or van. 7th or 8th was easily attainable by anyone, but ottawa, washington, buffalo, winnipeg, etc have almost no chance of getting out of the east.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    polaris_x wrote:

Games that go to a shoot-out

Winner gets the 2pts and loser gets 1pt
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    well your officially out, 7 years no playoffs...Burke is doing a great job.

lukin2006 wrote:

This has to stop, things gotta change some how..........I need to watch the Leafs in the playoffs, its been way too long :(
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Remember the first 2 or three months of the season?

:lol:
    Rygar wrote:

:evil:

well ... i said all along from the get go ... this team would have to scrap to get into the playoffs ... as disappointed as i am about them not making it ... i think we're moving forward and i am open to carlysle turning this around ... never liked wilson as a coach ...
    BLACK35 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

This has to stop, things gotta change some how..........I need to watch the Leafs in the playoffs, its been way too long :(

So how much longer do you give Burke...I think 4 years is plenty of time to turn things around.

563927_10150641773607711_1958972901_n.jpg

417332_10150561250401364_574526363_9217849_1156147150_n-1.jpg

lukin2006 wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

So how much longer do you give Burke...I think 4 years is plenty of time to turn things around.

Burke will still be the GM next year. I can't say anything for after that. I don't see the leafs making the playoffs next year either.

Burke is not going to be able to get the players he needs to make a push for the playoffs.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    563927_10150641773607711_1958972901_n.jpg

417332_10150561250401364_574526363_9217849_1156147150_n-1.jpg

:lol::lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    thanks for posting those photos, I needed something off-ice to laugh at.
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

Burke will still be the GM next year. I can't say anything for after that. I don't see the leafs making the playoffs next year either.

Burke is not going to be able to get the players he needs to make a push for the playoffs.

Signing those US college players won't help them much either...Burke and Wilson should have both been shown the door.

11 straight losses at home...this team has no heart...really pathetic way to close out a season...the bright spot is you'll have a shot at the lottery pick.

389725_10150757484535211_227328015210_11995531_1095183320_n.jpg

polaris_x wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

:evil:

well ... i said all along from the get go ... this team would have to scrap to get into the playoffs ... as disappointed as i am about them not making it ... i think we're moving forward and i am open to carlysle turning this around ... never liked wilson as a coach ...

I think moving forward would have been closing out the season on a positive note...11 straight losses at home is just pathetic...I know you think Burke is has this team headed in the right direction...offer Jim Nill of the Red Wings the job...why not see if he's interested...they have a track record in Detroit of pretty good success...21 straight years in the playoffs.

553952_10150749031150211_227328015210_11966914_231058626_n.jpg

531064_10150753211670211_227328015210_11982271_2006390707_n.jpg

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    that pic of Carlyle in front of the golf course lay out is hilarious
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton