Toronto Maple Leafs

Comments

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Hopefully we can move out Mac in the offseason to make room for a prospect to make the big club. He should be able to attract a decent offer or two thanks to Grabbo.
    Grabovski's deal is 5 yrs, $27.5 Million. Average cap hit of 5.5 mil, making him our highest paid forward.
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID Posts: 895
    Grabovski's deal is 5 yrs, $27.5 Million. Average cap hit of 5.5 mil, making him our highest paid forward.

Thats about what I was expecting, im glad he re-signed tho
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    A change was definitely needed, hopefully this is the one that works out best for the leafs.

A change was needed...and it should have been Burke and Wilson out the door...what has Burke done since getting to Toronto...traded 2 first round picks in which one is on his way to be a very good player...far as I'm concerned is if you trade 1st round picks you better make the playoffs.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    IgotshitID wrote:

Thats about what I was expecting, im glad he re-signed tho

This type of deal is why Toronto will never win...Burke paid this guy about 2 million more than Franzen and only around a million less than Datsyuk, he makes more money than anyone on Boston except Chara, only slightly less paid than the Sedins in Vancouver. Does Burke not look around the league to see what other players are making...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

Don Cherry rant about Burke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEQF0Pts4aY

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    A change was needed...and it should have been Burke and Wilson out the door...what has Burke done since getting to Toronto...traded 2 first round picks in which one is on his way to be a very good player...far as I'm concerned is if you trade 1st round picks you better make the playoffs.

i would say burke has done a good job ... he's upped the talent level significantly ... the AHL affiliate is way stronger than it has ever been ... sure, the kessel deal will be what he is forever remembered for but he's made some great deals as well ...
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    lukin2006 wrote:

Cherry Rules... love the Don Cherry story too, good insight to his life.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i would say burke has done a good job ... he's upped the talent level significantly ... the AHL affiliate is way stronger than it has ever been ... sure, the kessel deal will be what he is forever remembered for but he's made some great deals as well ...

Not up to date on the AHL...definitely don't think he's done a good job...do not know how he can justify paying a guy who is no where near the skill level of a Datsyuk or Sedin within a million or so of both. Heck he will be making more than Kessel and Lupol. He's a man with no clear vision. As for the new coach he took over from Babcock so essentially he inherited an extremely well coached team and as the Ducks became more of his team they got progressively worse.

Nami wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Cherry Rules... love the Don Cherry story too, good insight to his life.

the cherry story has been excellent so far...cherry tells whats on his mind and is not politically correct...gotta like that.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Not up to date on the AHL...definitely don't think he's done a good job...do not know how he can justify paying a guy who is no where near the skill level of a Datsyuk or Sedin within a million or so of both. Heck he will be making more than Kessel and Lupol. He's a man with no clear vision. As for the new coach he took over from Babcock so essentially he inherited an extremely well coached team and as the Ducks became more of his team they got progressively worse.

when burke took over ... he took over an organization that had no talent in the farm or in the organization ... the marlies have been getting better every year ... they are like 1st in their division and 2nd in the conference ... his main problem was inheriting a coach that was his friend ... Wilson should have been let go a long time ago ... the team has significantly more talent now than it has in the past ...
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    i like grabo but he isn't worth 5.5 mil, he just broke out of a 15 game goaless drought i think he's worth around 3.8 to 4mil imo.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

when burke took over ... he took over an organization that had no talent in the farm or in the organization ... the marlies have been getting better every year ... they are like 1st in their division and 2nd in the conference ... his main problem was inheriting a coach that was his friend ... Wilson should have been let go a long time ago ... the team has significantly more talent now than it has in the past ...

while i am not a leaf fan at all, i have to say that the main issue with Toronto was the lack of identity on the team. you have to blame Wilson who was never a good fit for Toronto but you must also blame Burke.

the main issue with Toronto is this the team doesn't have that killer instinct that you need to win. Kessel is a very good player but not a player that you build around. Dion is not a top d-man and while I am not in the dressing room I don't see him being the captain and won't be surprised if he is not the captain next year.
    fife wrote:
    while i am not a leaf fan at all, i have to say that the main issue with Toronto was the lack of identity on the team. you have to blame Wilson who was never a good fit for Toronto but you must also blame Burke.

the main issue with Toronto is this the team doesn't have that killer instinct that you need to win. Kessel is a very good player but not a player that you build around. Dion is not a top d-man and while I am not in the dressing room I don't see him being the captain and won't be surprised if he is not the captain next year.

i think it comes down to 2 things:

1. defensive zone coverage ... just awful, which i blame totally on coaching ... their system they use is horrible which explains their ranking on the PK too ...

2. continuity ... this team has a lot of new pieces and all the good teams have been playing together for some time or at least the core group of guys ...
    You know what sucks as a Leafs fan? Getting an email in early march from the Red Wings telling you how to get priority access to their playoff tickets. Must be nice.
    So i am going to the leaf game Saturday to cheer for the Flyers and I am thinking of starting a chant of "HIRE WILSON" who is with me :lol:
    you can't fix the defensive problems this team has overnight ...
    polaris_x wrote:

actually you won't be able to fix these problem in my guess for another year. the talent is just not there
    I like Carlyle, but I'd join that chant for sure. I'll support the team through thick and thin, so supporting the Flyers isn't an option for me.
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

actually you won't be able to fix these problem in my guess for another year. the talent is just not there

the talent is definitely there to make the playoffs ... hockey is the ultimate in the "team" aspect of team sports ... our defense which is at the core of our problems is young and haven't been together all that long ... gardiner, liles, and gunnarson are all playing big minutes but have struggled working with schenn and phaneuk and komisarek ..

all the teams that are doing well - have had some significant continuity amongst their core players ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

the talent is definitely there to make the playoffs ... hockey is the ultimate in the "team" aspect of team sports ... our defense which is at the core of our problems is young and haven't been together all that long ... gardiner, liles, and gunnarson are all playing big minutes but have struggled working with schenn and phaneuk and komisarek ..

all the teams that are doing well - have had some significant continuity amongst their core players ...

While I am not a leaf fan, i watch almost every game as long as the flyers are not playing at the same time.

While I like Gardiner and liles, I don't see a shutdown line and that is what most teams have. when you look a the teams playing well they have a shut down top 2 d-man and I don't see Toronto with that. Schenn looks lost and while yes he is young he seems to be getting worse every year which is not a good sign. I have always thought that Dion was not that good of a player but maybe a ok 2nd line d-man.

Now that maybe all Wilson issues but I don't know and if next year the D improves i will say that I am wrong but I don't think I will have too. and the biggest issue is the goaltending, like the saying goes "show me a good defense and I will show you a good defense" (yes i know that the saying is not completely right)
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID Posts: 895
    This is the first time in years that I actually thought they would make the playoffs, so bummed out now
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
    IgotshitID wrote:
    This is the first time in years that I actually thought they would make the playoffs, so bummed out now

so here is a question for all of you guys, would you rather now fight for the playoffs (if even possible) or are you all joining tank nation?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,674
    I'm still fighting for a playoff spot, but that is just my competitive spirit kicking in, until we are mathamatically eliminated, I never give up hope.
    Although I think it is very much a lost cause in getting to the playoff dance, I'm just greatful they beat the Sens last night (God I can't stand the Sens :twisted: )
    To Graboski :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: for standing up for the rookie. Ashton better be buying him a very nice meal.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    BLACK35 wrote:
    I'm still fighting for a playoff spot, but that is just my competitive spirit kicking in, until we are mathamatically eliminated, I never give up hope.
    Although I think it is very much a lost cause in getting to the playoff dance, I'm just greatful they beat the Sens last night (God I can't stand the Sens :twisted: )
    To Graboski :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: for standing up for the rookie. Ashton better be buying him a very nice meal.
    Leafs chances of making playoffs double to 1.7%. To get there, they'll likely have to go 8-1-1 or 9-1-0 for 89 or 90 points.

"So you're saying there's a chance...."

:wink:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,674
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Leafs chances of making playoffs double to 1.7%. To get there, they'll likely have to go 8-1-1 or 9-1-0 for 89 or 90 points.

"So you're saying there's a chance...."

:wink:

Right now, there is technically still a chance :lol: But likely another season of cheering for the Pens in the playoffs :x
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    too little too late ... :(

there was talent enough to make the playoffs this year but it was flawed ... mainly by coaching ... crikey - if the first thing the new coach does is increase the fitness on the team - you know it's real bad ... i've always wondered why they friggin' stood still on defense ... well, it's cuz they had no gas ... brutal ...

oh and fife ... i don't think they should tank ... even if they try - they will still probably get a decent draft pick this year considering how well every other team is playing ...
    From last night game, does anyone really believe that this team is anywhere close to a playoff team?

that was one of the worse games i Have EVER seen in my life.

I just want to see if there is a Fire Burke chant today. This team has no heart and very little talent.

I just want to see how leafs fan are going to react when Kessel decides that he doesn't want to play here in 2 years.
    I still believe there's some talent and some heart, but not enough of either to be regarded as a serious team. Last night was just plain embarrassing and there wasn't a single positive to take away from it.
    fife wrote:
    From last night game, does anyone really believe that this team is anywhere close to a playoff team?

that was one of the worse games i Have EVER seen in my life.

I just want to see if there is a Fire Burke chant today. This team has no heart and very little talent.

I just want to see how leafs fan are going to react when Kessel decides that he doesn't want to play here in 2 years.

I thought they might have been a playoff contender. But agree this team is no where near close to being a playoff team. Burke has been there 4 years and this is the team he put together :lol::lol:.