college kid commits suicide after being secretly taped

Comments

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    haffajappa wrote:
    know1 wrote:

I don't think it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality. I'm just trying to say that all religious people aren't alike as you seem to be implying.

I guess what bothered me the most was this:

Student gets filmed + kills himself = family must be religious.

I don't see why you can't see what's wrong with making that equation.
    because you can't see the equation for what it really is.
    try thinking a little less simply:

student gets filmed doing homosexual acts > student kills himself > why? perhaps shame > why is he ashamed of people knowing he's homosexual? > perhaps he comes from a family that doesn't tolerate this lifestyle > what families wouldn't tolerate their child being gay? > a good percentage of religious families = PERHAPS he was from a religious family.

it wasn't a statement.
    i dont think polaris meant to offend you or any christians, but you're off your rocker if you think most religions tolerate homosexuality... and you're off your rocker if you think he was trying to make a statement.

the poor kid could have grown up in the most liberal type of family environment known to man and still feel ashamed of himself for being that way though. even though his family may have accepted him, his peers in high school and college may not have. there's no way of knowing. and it's not the issue here, really.
    very true. I've known a few kids whose families were very supportive when they came out, but they still struggled with it because of peer issues. There could have been a lot of different factors at play.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    haffajappa wrote:
    because you can't see the equation for what it really is.
    try thinking a little less simply:

student gets filmed doing homosexual acts > student kills himself > why? perhaps shame > why is he ashamed of people knowing he's homosexual? > perhaps he comes from a family that doesn't tolerate this lifestyle > what families wouldn't tolerate their child being gay? > a good percentage of religious families = PERHAPS he was from a religious family.

it wasn't a statement.
    i dont think polaris meant to offend you or any christians, but you're off your rocker if you think most religions tolerate homosexuality... and you're off your rocker if you think he was trying to make a statement.

the poor kid could have grown up in the most liberal type of family environment known to man and still feel ashamed of himself for being that way though. even though his family may have accepted him, his peers in high school and college may not have. there's no way of knowing. and it's not the issue here, really.
    very true. I've known a few kids whose families were very supportive when they came out, but they still struggled with it because of peer issues. There could have been a lot of different factors at play.

high school's tough as it is. and if you stick out like a sore thumb for whatever reason, i can only imagine it to be even worse.
    www.myspace.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    haffajaffa your sig is great... but the last word is "sight" :thumbup:

oh and your equation a couple of posts back was excellent :clap:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    I think it's the other way around.

And yes, by theorizing, suggesting or whatever that he may have come from a conservative religious background you are bashing and stereotyping.

are you a religious conservative?

I'm a Christian. I have some very conservative views and others that are fairly liberal.

You need to open your mind to the fact that labels on people are almost always woefully inaccurate.
    :clap:
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm wondering why the fact that the kid shot himself with his father-in-law's gun is not an issue. Obviously it was within reach...

It's all a very sad story though.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm wondering why the fact that the kid shot himself with his father-in-law's gun is not an issue. Obviously it was within reach...

he jumped off the george washington bridge.
    www.myspace.com
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Jeanwah wrote:

That's what I thought.

ALL SO SAD.................

and let's get off this religious discussion---not relevant.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    know1 wrote:

I'll just leave it at this, then. Since I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE that he came from a conservative religious background, why would someone make it a point to suggest that? They have no reason to other than a prejudice against religious people.
    people are assuming his family is/was conservative cause why else would he kill himself they day after the whole world knew he was gay. by all accounts this kid had a good head on his shoulder and didn't show signs of a typical suicidal person.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Lizard wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

That's what I thought.

ALL SO SAD.................

and let's get off this religious discussion---not relevant.

agreed....incidentally in googling this story, it turns out another gay college kid killed himself this week. this one was openly gay. by all accounts had a healthy family life and was happy. kind of throws the whole "must be from a certain type of background" nonsense out the window.
    www.myspace.com
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    It's bullying. About an hour north of me a 13-year old kid (13!!!) hung himself recently after being teased about being gay --- don't know if he was or not, not that it makes a difference---. He died a week later !!! It is turning into an epidemic. Last year another kid shot himself in the school bathroom after being teased unmercifully.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

That's what I thought.
    Oh, I must be getting my bullying/suicide stories mixed up. I saw on the news about a similar story but the boy shot himself. It's pretty bad that there are so many hate stories in the news that someone can get them mixed up...
    agreed....incidentally in googling this story, it turns out another gay college kid killed himself this week. this one was openly gay. by all accounts had a healthy family life and was happy. kind of throws the whole "must be from a certain type of background" nonsense out the window.

out of the window? its a counter argument at best.... but it hardly puts it out of the window... be like finding a long-lost uncle of Hitler who said he was a decent bloke and then coming on here and telling us that the whole evil Nazi overlord nonsense is to be thrown out of the window.

the violin kid was not openly gay... this is why there is a theory or some postulation as to his family life and his parents ideals.

the one above that you posted was openly gay and I presume by healthy family relationship you mean that his parents were ok with it

thats comparing two separate scenarios
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

out of the window? its a counter argument at best.... but it hardly puts it out of the window... be like finding a long-lost uncle of Hitler who said he was a decent bloke and then coming on here and telling us that the whole evil Nazi overlord nonsense is to be thrown out of the window.

the violin kid was not openly gay... this is why there is a theory or some postulation as to his family life and his parents ideals.

the one above that you posted was openly gay and I presume by healthy family relationship you mean that his parents were ok with it

well said dunky

:clap::clap:

dunkman wrote:

2 separate scenarios but it shows you that something horrible like this can happen regardless of the upbringing.

comebackgirl had the best insight on this. i believe she's a social worker and her 2 cents were right on point.

also---i agree with jeanwah, its tough to keep these stories straight. it seems there's a new one that comes out every other day.
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

well said dunky

:clap::clap:

:lol:
    aren't you the guy who said the roommate should be tried for murder?

go back to your spot at the kids table :mrgreen: ....only kidding metfan, only kidding
    www.myspace.com
    I wonder what's happened to society, especially the younger generation, when resilience is so low that suicide is a popular choice for dealing with bullies.

go back to your spot at the kids table :mrgreen: ....only kidding metfan, only kidding
    yup i was and now that will get some wheels since the roommate is a homophobe

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I wonder what's happened to society, especially the younger generation, when resilience is so low that suicide is a popular choice for dealing with bullies.

you didn't get the memo? it's the pussification of america. they've been working on it for years.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jeanwah wrote:
    well it's either that or the kids pulls a columbine

dunkman wrote:

2 separate scenarios but it shows you that something horrible like this can happen regardless of the upbringing.

I dont think that was ever in question... i think Polaris was saying that this suicide... and this one alone... might have been "exacerbated" as a result of the kids parents being a conservative religious couple who might not have been able to take the 'shame' of their son being on the internet engaging in sexual acts with another man.

the upbringing didnt cause the suicide, but it may have been a trigger point as to why the kid did it...
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Oh, I must be getting my bullying/suicide stories mixed up. I saw on the news about a similar story but the boy shot himself. It's pretty bad that there are so many hate stories in the news that someone can get them mixed up...
    I think there was a 13 year old in Texas that shot himself after being teased for being gay. Apparently there have been 4 suicides connected to related issues in the past month that have been reported to the new outlets.

I think now kids just can't ever get away from it. I'm sure it was always horrific to be bullied...and probably has always resulted in some suicides, but it used to be that kids were bullied at school or in certain classes or certain settings (the bus, gym class, etc). Now they can be bullied even when they're at home - online, through text...people they've never met or had contact with can join in, they can change schools and move but it's not necessarily going to stop. I think it's even harder for them to get some relief from it and it can really feel like the whole world is against them.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    the bullying aspect is true... in fact i bought one of those anti-bullying wristbands to show support.

well i say bought... i stole it from a wee fat geeky ginger kid.

right on :thumbup:
    metsfan wrote:

....HUH?

the roommate could have been adolf hitler but he didn't push the dude off the bridge. you're just kidding right?
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:

....HUH?

the roommate could have been adolf hitler but he didn't push the dude off the bridge. you're just kidding right?

1. yes i was the guy who said the roommate should be tried for murder

2. the case for trying the roommate for murder has some steam now that the world knows he posted anti gay like tweets on his twitter account

metsfan wrote:

2. the case for trying the roommate for murder has some steam now that the world knows he posted anti gay like tweets on his twitter account
    You mean manslaughter, not murder...
    metsfan wrote:

....HUH?

speaking of Hitler... i got an email from Hans Fritspeiler, Adolfs cousin twice removed, earlier on saying that he was an alright bloke... kinda blows the whole insane jew killer argument out of the water doesnt it? ;)
    Jeanwah wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

yes i mean that

:oops:

metsfan wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

yes i mean that

:oops:
    quick metsfan: google the difference between murder and manslaughter :lol::lol: :roll: :lol:

i can see a case to be argued for involuntary manslaughter but i think it's a stretch.

if a woman is raped....then commits suicide as a result of her mental and physical trauma, i don't think the rapist would then be tried for manslaughter.....or am i wrong? i can't recall any specific instances though...
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    They won't be charged with anything other than some invasion privacy charges but they should be. Tougher penalities need to be established for these situations, it is getting out of hand.