college kid commits suicide after being secretly taped

Comments

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    edited September 2010
    If you're operating under the assumption that the suicidal person is thinking clearly, then yes, there are always options. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Someone who commits suicide is NOT thinking rationally. It seems like an acceptable solution to them, for illogical reasons.

It really bothers me to see such harsh criticism of someone who killed himself because the extension of that is how do you feel about someone who is suicidal? Do you try to get help for them? Or do you just tell them to get a grip because it's a silly idea? Like eyed said, unless you've been there don't condemn.

I have been there as stated in my last post. yes Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. But I am sorry if you feel differently but it IS a selfish act. the individual is only thinking of themselves, how its going to make it all go away for them. NOT how its going to make their loved ones they are leaving behind feel.
    I am not, nor is 81, condemning anyone or this 18 year old.
    Post edited by Green Circle on
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • I'm saddened by the death of this young man, but I a more so infuriated that there are people out there that think it's ok to humiliate and post personal pictures/films of someone without their knowledge for the sheer enjoyment of others

it's disgusting behavior and there's absolutely no excuse for it
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    I have been there as stated in my last post. yes Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. But I am sorry if you feel differently but it IS a selfish act. the individual is only thinking of themselves, how its going to make it all go away for them. NOT how its going to make their loved ones they are leaving behind feel.
    I am not or is 81 condemning anyone or this 18 year old.
    I apologize for suggesting that you don't have insight. But I don't agree that suicidal people are necessarily selfish. Their thinking is so distorted that they often truly believe that their loved ones will be better off without them. They think they are sparing their families from the burden of dealing with them. It may seem selfish to the people who are left behind but that may not be clear to the person at all.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I'm saddened by the death of this young man, but I a more so infuriated that there are people out there that think it's ok to humiliate and post personal pictures/films of someone without their knowledge for the sheer enjoyment of others

it's disgusting behavior and there's absolutely no excuse for it
    Couldn't agree more. That people would think doing something like this is amusing is horrible.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Boo Boo wrote:

I've been there too and have a much different persepective. I also work with veterans, as some of you know. Some of you might also know that veteran suicide rates are at an all time high. You know what we tell those veterans who come to us for help? We say, "stop being so selfish, you bunch of assholes."

You know whose pain truly suicidal and/or homicidal people don't care about? The pain their actions might cause others. You know why? Because they cannot see past the horrific downward spiral their own thoughts have become.

Some of you have no idea just how sick and violent a person's thoughts can become. Some of you ought to pray you never understand that rather than judge those who do.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Some of you have no idea just how sick and violent a person's thoughts can become. Some of you ought to pray you never understand that rather than judge those who do.

i can i'm half German
    I apologize for suggesting that you don't have insight. But I don't agree that suicidal people are necessarily selfish. Their thinking is so distorted that they often truly believe that their loved ones will be better off without them. They think they are sparing their families from the burden of dealing with them. It may seem selfish to the people who are left behind but that may not be clear to the person at all.

Exactly right.

i can i'm half German

Ever answered your door with a loaded .44 in your hands because you thought a cop was standing outside to tell you to turn your music down? I'm telling you folks, you don't even want to understand true craziness.

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    If you're operating under the assumption that the suicidal person is thinking clearly, then yes, there are always options. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Someone who commits suicide is NOT thinking rationally. It seems like an acceptable solution to them, for illogical reasons.

It really bothers me to see such harsh criticism of someone who killed himself because the extension of that is how do you feel about someone who is suicidal? Do you try to get help for them? Or do you just tell them to get a grip because it's a silly idea? Like eyed said, unless you've been there don't condemn.

agreed, 100%.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • It's just sad. I'd rather not debate whether it was selfish, whether it was more sad or less sad than someone being killed by a stray bullet, cause in the end it's just damn sad. Sad that his sexuality would even be something to be embarrassed about. Sad that it was used to bully him. Sad that he felt the pain of it was so overwhelming that he committed suicide. Sad for the family and friends who never got a chance to help him through this.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • polaris_x wrote:
    sad ... i'm sure all their friends were laughing when they did this ... glad someone had the courage to report this to authorities ... :(

i'm gonna postulate that this kid came from a very conservative religious household ...

I agree with your first half. The second seemed somewhat unnecessary.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:

I've been there too and have a much different persepective. I also work with veterans, as some of you know. Some of you might also know that veteran suicide rates are at an all time high. You know what we tell those veterans who come to us for help? We say, "stop being so selfish, you bunch of assholes."

You know whose pain truly suicidal and/or homicidal people don't care about? The pain their actions might cause others. You know why? Because they cannot see past the horrific downward spiral their own thoughts have become.

Not quite sure about what you are saying here. Are you agreeing or disagreeing? Is your first part sarcasm?
    call me confused :?
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Not quite sure about what you are saying here. Are you agreeing or disagreeing? Is your first part sarcasm?
    call me confused :?

Sorry, when I lay on the sarcasm that thick I figure it will be obvious. No, we don't say that to our veterans. We understand just how quickly a mind can become scrambled and we don't judge the folks we are unable to help. We don't call them selfish when they blow their brains all over their apartment walls. It is an act of desperation, not selfishness.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    if im ever really bad off im finding mr. brown stone and a sharpie...
    true fact.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I agree with your first half. The second seemed somewhat unnecessary.

i thought it might ruffle a few feathers ... but, i'm gonna stand by it as a theory as to why someone would feel compelled to commit suicide over this incident ... as some here are thinking he was just embarassed or something like that ...
    eyedclaar wrote:

i can i'm half German

Ever answered your door with a loaded .44 in your hands because you thought a cop was standing outside to tell you to turn your music down? I'm telling you folks, you don't even want to understand true craziness.

No, but i did get married. True just once, but it was enough.
    chadwick wrote:
    true fact.

See, this i understand.
  • It's just sad. I'd rather not debate whether it was selfish, whether it was more sad or less sad than someone being killed by a stray bullet, cause in the end it's just damn sad. Sad that his sexuality would even be something to be embarrassed about. Sad that it was used to bully him. Sad that he felt the pain of it was so overwhelming that he committed suicide. Sad for the family and friends who never got a chance to help him through this.

well said.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    It is an act of desperation, not selfishness.
  • chadwick wrote:
    true fact.

See, this i understand.

:? uhh..call me stupid as well as confused...I don't get it...
    can you pm me and help me out :)
  • Poor kid, how awful :( and those assholes that taped him, I hope they get the book thrown at 'em and put in jail.

I'm also saddened by the lack of compassion. No one is exempt from the human condition....feel lucky if you've never felt that desperate before.
  • Part of why some people commit suicide, especially adolescents, is because they think nobody is gonna "get it." They think no one will understand why they're so overwhelmed with what they're feeling...that it will be minimized and brushed away and they'll be told they're over-reacting...kind of like what's happening on here. We don't have to understand why it was such a big deal to him that he felt there was no other way out...we just have to understand that it was. I spend 90% of my time trying to "get it." Half the battle is just validating what someone is feeling
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Tragic, and sad. As having lost a siblign to suicide, I feel for the kid in his moment of humiliation, and for his family in their time of terrible and unfortunate loss. It's a shame that the kid couldn't deal long enough to see through the bullshit...

but his roommate is an even more sad excuse for a human being. What a fuck. I seriously hope this haunts him for a very long time.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    That is so incredibly sad. No matter what punishment is handed out to the 2 involved in taping, they will have to live with what they did, for the rest of their life, and that will be their true punishment.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Boo Boo wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    true fact.

See, this i understand.

Heroin, the sharpies, so you don't miss the vein.
    Boo Boo wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    true fact.

See, this i understand.

heroin
    if i were bad off dying and all fuckered up

im out to lunch till the end
    needle me up, boys
    im out

im sorry my loved ones would have to see me like that
    but i'd do it and function pretty well i think
    if i didnt function well i wouldnt care anyway

besides its supposed to be a great high.
    i can get into that concept as im dying from mega-cancer and agonizing pain.

organs turning to liquid on me as i lie in bed all day?

fuck off...
    bang a vein
    im goin home

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • why was it necessary to say it was a gay sexual encounter? seems like they're unnecessarily highlighting the very thing that led to this... being outed in such a public way would be incredibly traumatic... his family is already grieving - assuming they didn't know about his sexuality, there's no need to further complicate things

stick to the important details instead of the gossip :?

sad story
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    why was it necessary to say it was a gay sexual encounter? seems like they're unnecessarily highlighting the very thing that led to this... being outed in such a public way would be incredibly traumatic... his family is already grieving - assuming they didn't know about his sexuality, there's no need to further complicate things

stick to the important details instead of the gossip :?

sad story
    thanks, man.
    i agree.

people can be cruel, people are cruel.
    quite sad.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's hard to believe people can be so cruel.
    My hope is the 2 that taped him will someday feel his pain and
    his disillusionment and disappointment in the human race.
    pandora wrote:
    It's hard to believe people can be so cruel.
    My hope is the 2 that taped him will someday feel his pain and
    his disillusionment and disappointment in the human race.
    it's pretty easy to love
    spread it

that's all i have,
    carry on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce