college kid commits suicide after being secretly taped

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    know1 wrote:
    I'll just leave it at this, then. Since I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE that he came from a conservative religious background, why would someone make it a point to suggest that? They have no reason to other than a prejudice against religious people.

it hasnt been mentioned, hence the postulation... but it's not a prejudice.

I also think that its highly likely to be a CONTRIBUTING factor in this kids suicide... the reaction of his family i mean.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    know1 wrote:
    You need to open your mind to the fact that labels on people are almost always woefully inaccurate.

and you have facts to support this?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    I'm a Christian. I have some very conservative views and others that are fairly liberal.

You need to open your mind to the fact that labels on people are almost always woefully inaccurate.

i just wish you could see the difference between labeling people and what i said but unfortunately, you are not able to ... i have my theories but it doesn't appear it's ok to postulate on this board ...

OK - since there's no information to support that his background is conservative religious, what if I'd come on the board to postulate that since he killed himself, he's probably an athiest?

I wish you could see how narrow minded you are when you suggest something like that when a) you really don't know and b) you apparently think all conservative religious people are exactly the same.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

None anymore than your attempt at stereotyping a very large and diverse group of "religious people" as exact clones of each other.

dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    I'll just leave it at this, then. Since I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE that he came from a conservative religious background, why would someone make it a point to suggest that? They have no reason to other than a prejudice against religious people.

it hasnt been mentioned, hence the postulation... but it's not a prejudice.

I also think that its highly likely to be a CONTRIBUTING factor in this kids suicide... the reaction of his family i mean.

Well then maybe he just killed himself because his family was religious and perhaps it didn't have anything to do with the fact that he was streamed online. In fact, maybe he enjoyed the publicity, but it was his tyrannical religious family that drove him to end his life.

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    know1 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

None anymore than your attempt at stereotyping a very large and diverse group of "religious people" as exact clones of each other.

Wall meet head. Look, when most Christian religious teaching is anti-homosexuality (I guess you can sit there and deny that all you want) then what is being theorized isn't that out of whack. I come from a very religious family (not my immediate members but EVERYONE else) and I've seen it first hand. You are right in that they aren't all intolerant to the same degree, but none of them approve.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    know1 wrote:
    OK - since there's no information to support that his background is conservative religious, what if I'd come on the board to postulate that since he killed himself, he's probably an athiest?

I wish you could see how narrow minded you are when you suggest something like that when a) you really don't know and b) you apparently think all conservative religious people are exactly the same.

dude ... no matter how many times you try an counter with slags of your own ("open-minded", "narrow-minded") - all you are doing is showing your inability to distinguish between what is a stereotype and what is a theory ...

i've shown my logic with regards to my theory ... show me yours as it pertains to his family being atheist ...

i get it tho - you are a religious conservative and your back is up ... it's similar to when people bash america - you get this auto-defensive response that lacks any objectivity ...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it doesnt matter if his family were religiously conservative. what matters here is this guy was so humiliated by what 2 of his classmates did that he felt there was no alternative but to take his own life. the problem here is not his familys religious affiliation but the callous disregard for his privacy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    polaris_x wrote:
    dude ... no matter how many times you try an counter with slags of your own ("open-minded", "narrow-minded") - all you are doing is showing your inability to distinguish between what is a stereotype and what is a theory ...

i've shown my logic with regards to my theory ... show me yours as it pertains to his family being atheist ...

i get it tho - you are a religious conservative and your back is up ... it's similar to when people bash america - you get this auto-defensive response that lacks any objectivity ...

I guess we'll just have to disagree. When I saw your "enlightened" postulation, one of the things that came to mind was that you were implying he may not have killed himself if his family wasn't religious.

Whether I was right to take it from your statement or not, I did.

And I still hold there was no point whatsoever for you to even bring that up without any evidence to support it.

know1 wrote:
    Well then maybe he just killed himself because his family was religious and perhaps it didn't have anything to do with the fact that he was streamed online. In fact, maybe he enjoyed the publicity, but it was his tyrannical religious family that drove him to end his life.

look, its more likely he committed suicide because of the shame he perceived it would bring to his family than the shame of being a gay man being caught having sex online... i mean most gay men would be quite happy about that actually... what with their loose morals and their gay pride showing off parades... this guy would be an icon of 'gayness' for his video exploits

now thats a stereotype.

there have been lots of instances of men recording themselves having sex with a female and then posting it onto a website... to date i know of no story about a woman discovering this secret footage and then killing herself... so, i'm sorry, but i don't think the guy killed himself because he was put online having sex with another guy... i think he did it because of a) his family reaction and b) the reactions of others around him...

it's like he seems to have a problem accepting he is gay?

if i got secretly filmed having sex with a girl by my flatmates in college and it was on the internet i don't think i would give a toss.... but perhaps the guy couldnt admit he was gay? again, i'm guessing here, which i believe isnt allowed anymore.
    edited October 2010
    know1 wrote:
    I guess we'll just have to disagree. When I saw your "enlightened" postulation, one of the things that came to mind was that you were implying he may not have killed himself if his family wasn't religious.

And I still hold there was no point whatsoever for you to even bring that up without any evidence to support it.

if there is anything behind this kid's decision to commit suicide that we don't know - should we not explore it to maybe prevent this from happening in the future? ... like i said - maybe it was simply the embarassment ... but maybe there is more to it ...

i'm sorry if you feel it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality but we have priests all over the world convicted of molesting boys ... maybe talking about it would help something ... i know the catholic church woudl rather hide it and bury it under a rug like they have been but that is not doing any good to the countless victims ...

edit: syntax
    Post edited by polaris_x on
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

look, its more likely he committed suicide because of the shame he perceived it would bring to his family than the shame of being a gay man being caught having sex online... i mean most gay men would be quite happy about that actually... what with their loose morals and their gay pride showing off parades... this guy would be an icon of 'gayness' for his video exploits

now thats a stereotype.

there have been lots of instances of men recording themselves having sex with a female and then posting it onto a website... to date i know of no story about a woman discovering this secret footage and then killing herself... so, i'm sorry, but i don't think the guy killed himself because he was put online having sex with another guy... i think he did it because of a) his family reaction and b) the reactions of others around him...

if i got secretly filmed having sex with a girl by my flatmates in college and it was on the internet i don't think i would give a toss.... but perhaps the guy couldnt admit he was gay? again, i'm guessing here, which i believe isnt allowed anymore.

and maybe youre just an exhibitionist dunk. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

now thats a stereotype.

all of this could be true. still doesn't mean his family is what you guys are assuming.
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

if there is anything behind this kid's decision to commit suicide that we don't know - should we not explore it to maybe prevent this from happening in the future ... like i said - maybe it was simply the embarassment ... but maybe there is more to it ...

i'm sorry if you feel it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality but we have priests all over the world convicted of molesting boys ... maybe talking about it would help something ... i know the catholic church woudl rather hide it and bury it under a rug like they have been but that is doing any good to the countless victims ...

I don't think it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality. I'm just trying to say that all religious people aren't alike as you seem to be implying.

I guess what bothered me the most was this:

Student gets filmed + kills himself = family must be religious.

I don't see why you can't see what's wrong with making that equation.

know1 wrote:

A: I hear that 6 terrorists have blown up a building in London.
    B: really, thats awful! i'm gonna postulate that these guys were extreme Muslims
    A: now now... what has that got to do with it? You're generalising and prejudicing again arent you.
    B: well its a theory i have.
    A: well you have no evidence so shut up.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

if there is anything behind this kid's decision to commit suicide that we don't know - should we not explore it to maybe prevent this from happening in the future ... like i said - maybe it was simply the embarassment ... but maybe there is more to it ...

i'm sorry if you feel it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality but we have priests all over the world convicted of molesting boys ... maybe talking about it would help something ... i know the catholic church woudl rather hide it and bury it under a rug like they have been but that is doing any good to the countless victims ...

I don't think it's taboo to talk about religion and homosexuality. I'm just trying to say that all religious people aren't alike as you seem to be implying.

Because you are dealing with maths not a theory, which is all that was ever put forth. We're not going to trial with this theory or anything. Nobody is suggesting it is the reality of the situation.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    know1 wrote:

again - for the umpteenth time ... where do i say his family MUST be religious!?? ... i postulated ... catefrances defined it for those who aren't sure what that means ...

all i did was simply open the dialogue of the possibilities ... again - my goal isn't to bash religious conservatives nor do i think all religious conservatives are intolerant ... the goal is simply to discuss why this kid would take his life so that maybe we, as a society, can prevent this from happening again ...
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

B: really, thats awful! i'm gonna postulate that these guys were extreme Muslims
    A: now now... what has that got to do with it? You're generalising and prejudicing again arent you.

DIRECT CORRELATION!
    THANKS DUNK
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:roll:
    www.myspace.com
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

DIRECT CORRELATION!
    THANKS DUNK

holy caps Jeag.... obviously done for dramatic effect therefore i am gonna postulate that you are a bit of a geek :thumbup:
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

again - for the umpteenth time ... where do i say his family MUST be religious!?? ... i postulated ... catefrances defined it for those who aren't sure what that means ...

all i did was simply open the dialogue of the possibilities ... again - my goal isn't to bash religious conservatives nor do i think all religious conservatives are intolerant ... the goal is simply to discuss why this kid would take his life so that maybe we, as a society, can prevent this from happening again ...

Why didn't you postulate (is that the word of the day) on the home life of the person who did the filming?

know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Why didn't you postulate (is that the word of the day) on the home life of the person who did the filming?

nah.. im just thinking the kids a jerk.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    it doesnt matter if his family were religiously conservative. what matters here is this guy was so humiliated by what 2 of his classmates did that he felt there was no alternative but to take his own life. the problem here is not his familys religious affiliation but the callous disregard for his privacy.
    Exactly. Unfortunately stuff like this is happening way too often. The bullying and online humiliation issues seem to have been a factor in a lot of adolescent/young adult suicides. The callousness of these kinds of acts is very disturbing.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    know1 wrote:

???? ... if you want me to ... i postulate that this kid grew up in a middle-class suburban neighbourhood ... does that make it better?
    Exactly. Unfortunately stuff like this is happening way too often. The bullying and online humiliation issues seem to have been a factor in a lot of adolescent/young adult suicides. The callousness of these kinds of acts is very disturbing.

tyler was quite possibly a private individual. its probably the reason his room mate did this. he knew the level of humiliation tyler would feel with the world checking out this most private of acts. as i said before if this were to happen to me id be homicidally ropeable. but im not tyler. and im not gay and i dont care what people think of me, cause they dont know me. i wouldnt be humiliated that id had sex, gay or straight. id just be vengefully angry at the absolute disrespect and invasion of privacy shown.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have been trying to not comment in this subject because it has been so heated...but reading articles on this case have made me more aware of certain aspects....
    let's take the words 'gay' and 'homosexual' out of the picture...pretend the man was heterosexual.

From USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... htm?csp=hf

"In death, Clementi — shy, quiet and known by only a few of his dorm hall mates"
    Shy and quiet...possible social anxiety?

(Wikipedia) Ordinary adult form
    Common adult forms of social anxiety include shyness,[5] performance anxiety, public speaking anxiety, stage fright, timidness, etc. All of these may also assume clinical forms, i.e., become anxiety disorders (see below).[1]
    The term social anxiety is also commonly used in reference to experiences such as embarrassment and shame. However some psychologists draw distinctions among various types of social discomfort, with the criterion for anxiety being anticipation. For example, the anticipation of an embarrassment is a form of social anxiety, while embarrassment itself is not.[6]

Clementi could have been under the pressures of some sort of social anxiety disorder, and because of embarrassment 'snapped' like these people:

(from the same USA Today article)
    Jessica Logan, an 18-year-old Cincinnati woman, killed herself in 2008 after an ex-boyfriend forwarded her nude cellphone photos to high school classmates.

Megan Meier, a 13-year-old Missouri girl, hanged herself in 2006 after learning that an Internet romance on MySpace was a hoax.

One bully was convicted:
    Anthony Scala, an Oregon State University student, was convicted of invasion of privacy in 2001 for using his laptop webcam to broadcast on the Internet scenes of his roommate and his girlfriend having sex in a dorm room.

He was also pretty accomplished:
    Clementi was not a music major but played violin so well he made the Rutgers Symphony Orchestra, which is comprised mostly of graduate music students and undergraduate majors.

Remember, this guy was a freshman...just out of high school.

A kamikaze pilot commits suicide and it is noble, a terminally ill patient is allowed to 'die with dignity' is justified, a college student that commits suicide because of humiliation is considered.....?

Whatever the reasons for his committing suicide, it is sad that he felt he couldn't reach out to someone.

Interesting reading about suicide: http://www.trinity.edu/~mkearl/death-su.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

DIRECT CORRELATION!
    THANKS DUNK

holy caps Jeag.... obviously done for dramatic effect therefore i am gonna postulate that you are a bit of a geek :thumbup:

incorrect. i was just really excited to see you nail that direct correlation. i don't know how you do it
    www.myspace.com
    incorrect. i was just really excited to see you nail that direct correlation. i don't know how you do it

years of nailing stuff

this is one of the reasons i am beginning to dread becoming a father. imagine who things will be 10-15 years from now...
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    know1 wrote:

because you can't see the equation for what it really is.
    try thinking a little less simply:

student gets filmed doing homosexual acts > student kills himself > why? perhaps shame > why is he ashamed of people knowing he's homosexual? > perhaps he comes from a family that doesn't tolerate this lifestyle > what families wouldn't tolerate their child being gay? > a good percentage of religious families = PERHAPS he was from a religious family.

it wasn't a statement.
    i dont think polaris meant to offend you or any christians, but you're off your rocker if you think most religions tolerate homosexuality... and you're off your rocker if you think he was trying to make a statement.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    know1 wrote:

because you can't see the equation for what it really is.
    try thinking a little less simply:

student gets filmed doing homosexual acts > student kills himself > why? perhaps shame > why is he ashamed of people knowing he's homosexual? > perhaps he comes from a family that doesn't tolerate this lifestyle > what families wouldn't tolerate their child being gay? > a good percentage of religious families = PERHAPS he was from a religious family.

it wasn't a statement.
    i dont think polaris meant to offend you or any christians, but you're off your rocker if you think most religions tolerate homosexuality... and you're off your rocker if you think he was trying to make a statement.

the poor kid could have grown up in the most liberal type of family environment known to man and still feel ashamed of himself for being that way though. even though his family may have accepted him, his peers in high school and college may not have. there's no way of knowing. and it's not the issue here, really.
    www.myspace.com