college kid commits suicide after being secretly taped

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:
    clearly youre easily amused dunk.

took you this long to find that out?

i have to be easily amused ever since this forum became deader than eh, well, the very topic of this thread.

nope ive always known. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    polaris_x wrote:
    i'm gonna postulate that this kid came from a very conservative religious household ...

Ahh...can't bash people for their sexuality, but no qualms about doing it for their religious affiliation.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    i'm gonna postulate that this kid came from a very conservative religious household ...

Ahh...can't bash people for their sexuality, but no qualms about doing it for their religious affiliation.

he didnt bash the kid's religious affiliation.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Really?

know1 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Really?

he made an assumption, guess, call it what you will, about the need for the kid to commit suicide... a possible reason for that suicide would be the shame it might bring upon his family if indeed that family were a conservative religious household.

where was the bashing part?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • he made an assumption, guess, call it what you will, about the need for the kid to commit suicide... a possible reason for that suicide would be the shame it might bring upon his family if indeed that family were a conservative religious household.

where was the bashing part?[/quote]

Kind of a blanket statement, wasn't it?
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
    he made an assumption, guess, call it what you will, about the need for the kid to commit suicide... a possible reason for that suicide would be the shame it might bring upon his family if indeed that family were a conservative religious household.

where was the bashing part?

Kind of a blanket statement, wasn't it?[/quote]

doesnt necessarily make it any less true.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    semantics. that's what's really important here. good job guys.
    www.myspace.com
    I think it's implied that a conservative religious background is so intolerant as to drive someone to suicide.

My feelings on this whole sad situation are very mixed.

On the one hand, what these people did (taping him and streaming it) was very wrong. There is no defending it. That being said, would there be nearly the outrage if it had been a heterosexual couple? I don't think so. That's kind of like discrimination, eh?

Also, I don't see how you can punish them more than the letter of the law just because their actions SEEM to have driven the kid to suicide. I say SEEM because most actions/responses in life are usually the result of a multitude of existing conditions and rarely attributable to one single cause. Likely they were a part of it - and likely a big part - but probably not the whole reason he killed himself.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    know1 wrote:
    I think it's implied that a conservative religious background is so intolerant as to drive someone to suicide.

On the one hand, what these people did (taping him and streaming it) was very wrong. There is no defending it. That being said, would there be nearly the outrage if it had been a heterosexual couple? I don't think so. That's kind of like discrimination, eh?

Also, I don't see how you can punish them more than the letter of the law just because their actions SEEM to have driven the kid to suicide. I say SEEM because most actions/responses in life are usually the result of a multitude of existing conditions and rarely attributable to one single cause. Likely they were a part of it - and likely a big part - but probably not the whole reason he killed himself.
    :clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • know1 wrote:

I come from a conservative religious background and I can tell you that I was always encouraged to rely on my faith and the love of family to deal with hardships. Your assumptions are incorrect. I wager a suicide victim can come from any background. It is bigoted to say he was definitely a conservative and a christian.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
    know1 wrote:

I come from a conservative religious background and I can tell you that I was always encouraged to rely on my faith and the love of family to deal with hardships. Your assumptions are incorrect. I wager a suicide victim can come from any background. It is bigoted to say he was definitely a conservative and a christian.

most conservative religious families wouldn't accept the idea that their son was filmed having gay sex which was then transmitted onto the internet for all to see.... sorry to say that, but its very likely for the most part.

the hardships you are talking about are things like financial, emotional fallouts with a wife, stealing an apple... i doubt they include being secretly filmed on the internet being humped by a man bear.
  • dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

most conservative religious families wouldn't accept the idea that their son was filmed having gay sex which was then transmitted onto the internet for all to see.... sorry to say that, but its very likely for the most part.

the hardships you are talking about are things like financial, emotional fallouts with a wife, stealing an apple... i doubt they include being secretly filmed on the internet being humped by a man bear.

Yeah, completely. You obviously understand the dynamics way better than I do. Thanks for enlightening me.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just to return to the military question that was asked a few pages back.

this one was a little tougher for me, and i had to sleep on it.

but you could argue, that these people made a choice to join the army (or whatever branch) and knew going in that there was a chance that might have to see battle action in a war zone and as well all know, war is hell. BUT, they still made that choice to join. I don't believe we have had a draft in some time. Now had they been drafted, i think the arguement wouldn't hold as much water. that said, i feel more for these guys than i do for the gay kid.

i have anouther one.

guy shots his wife and stepson than shoots himself because his umemployment benifits had run out and he didn't want to work for work. wife didn't work either, stepson was a carpet salesman with a 2year old kid. should i feel sad for this guy for committing suicide????
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    to postulate means to assume or suggest. its a basis for discussion as to whether something is true. it is not a definitive statement of fact.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if people want to infer things that aren't necessarily said - that is your own position and really has nothing to do with me ... if you are a religious conservative and feel defensive about my comments - i can only say it was not meant to offend but simply to find out why someone would want to kill themselves after this incident ... perhaps, he was depressed over something else, a mental illness? ... i'm not so sure ...

but if you are gonna point to a group that is intolerant of homosexuality - it's religious conservatives ... heck, in montana, the GOP refuses to remove the section of their policy that would make homosexuality illegal ... and catholics consider homosexuality a sin ... so, if you live in a household like that - you are gonna be taught that homosexuality is bad ...

sooo ... what does the guy do when he's been outed like that? ...
    81 wrote:
    i have anouther one.

guy shots his wife and stepson than shoots himself because his umemployment benifits had run out and he didn't want to work for work. wife didn't work either, stepson was a carpet salesman with a 2year old kid. should i feel sad for this guy for committing suicide????

i know where you are coming from on most of this suicide part..

big difference with these 2 scenarios is that the young gay kid who was filmed was a victim of another person... he was a victim as such... the other guy was just a lazy mental fucker....
    to postulate means to assume or suggest. its a basis for discussion as to whether something is true. it is not a definitive statement of fact.

yes ... and i requalified it with the word "theory" in a subsequent post ...

if we don't learn as a society from these things - his life would be in vain ... whatever the reason for this man to take his life - i would think that he wouldn't want anyone else to go through what he did ...
    81 wrote:

but you could argue, that these people made a choice to join the army (or whatever branch) and knew going in that there was a chance that might have to see battle action in a war zone and as well all know, war is hell. BUT, they still made that choice to join. I don't believe we have had a draft in some time. Now had they been drafted, i think the arguement wouldn't hold as much water. that said, i feel more for these guys than i do for the gay kid.

i have anouther one.

hey ... you don't have to feel sad for anyone ... what you show compassion for is up to you and you alone ... the issue tho is that you address it with some objective understanding ...

if you goto any suicide prevention organization - they will address many of the perceptions you have of people who commit suicide ...

and i think your example is the kind of thinking that is ultimately false ... i don't think there is anyone out there who would kill himself and family simply because he doesn't want to work anymore ...
    dunkman wrote:

And you have facts to support this? I still think this is bashing.

polaris_x wrote:
    but if you are gonna point to a group that is intolerant of homosexuality - it's religious conservatives ... heck, in montana, the GOP refuses to remove the section of their policy that would make homosexuality illegal ... and catholics consider homosexuality a sin ... so, if you live in a household like that - you are gonna be taught that homosexuality is bad ...

You're stereotyping all religious conservatives based on some that you're observed...or more likely been publicized...though. Not all religious conservatives are exactly alike.

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    81 wrote:

i have anouther one.

It seems like you are searching for reasons to justify feeling callous towards these people. Maybe it’s the mental illness itself that we need to be empathetic towards and not the final act. People don’t sign up to wind up crazy, it just happens. Some folks in the military deal with the most brutal things imaginable and never have a problem, other people develop severe PTSD for what doesn’t seem like a big deal, but every brain has its own snapping point. You can’t second-guess crazy unless you’ve really been there, at least in my opinion.

Your other scenario is actually why I respect the suicidal at times. When all the demons want you to hurt everyone in your path and it is everything you can do to resist that urge... See, I'd much prefer a mad dog to just kill himself then others. I don't call that person selfish, I thank Waffle they just shot themselves because it was actually quite considerate considering the alternative. Maybe even brave to silence that devil. I understand that some brains cannot be fixed, they just can't. Suicide is a viable option, but I still feel for that person because of the shape their thoughts were in. It fuckin' sucks being swallowed up in darkness.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    edited October 2010
    know1 wrote:
    You're stereotyping all religious conservatives based on some that you're observed...or more likely been publicized...though. Not all religious conservatives are exactly alike.

where have i said all religious conservatives are anything? ... are you one? ... if so, you might actually be proving my point on intolerance ...

edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_in_montana
    Post edited by polaris_x on
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    know1 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

No, he's really not. He's basically saying that the world is covered with 80% water and you are the one saying that he is saying the world is totally wet. Know what I mean? 8-)
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    know1 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

facts? hmmmm not facts as such... more a general acceptance of thousands of years of religious intolerance towards homosexuals

lets see ... i think homosexuality is a general no-no within catholic circles. so that one is fairly easy to call

from a religious website... "Jewish, Christian, Sikh and Muslim cultures have generally perceived homosexual behaviour as sinful. Many Jewish and Christian leaders, however, have gone to great lengths to make clear that it is the homosexual acts and not the homosexual individuals or their "orientation" that is condemned. Some liberal strands of both mainstream Protestant Christianity and Reform Judaism advocate, on theological as well as social grounds, the full acceptance of homosexuals and their relationships. "

also read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

i think Satanism is the only religion that couldnt give a fuck who you fuck.
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

where have i said all religious conservatives are anything? ... are you one? ... if so, you might actually be proving my point on intolerance ...

edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_in_montana

I think it's the other way around.

And yes, by theorizing, suggesting or whatever that he may have come from a conservative religious background you are bashing and stereotyping.

dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

facts? hmmmm not facts as such... more a general acceptance of thousands of years of religious intolerance towards homosexuals

lets see ... i think homosexuality is a general no-no within catholic circles. so that one is fairly easy to call

from a religious website... "Jewish, Christian, Sikh and Muslim cultures have generally perceived homosexual behaviour as sinful. Many Jewish and Christian leaders, however, have gone to great lengths to make clear that it is the homosexual acts and not the homosexual individuals or their "orientation" that is condemned. Some liberal strands of both mainstream Protestant Christianity and Reform Judaism advocate, on theological as well as social grounds, the full acceptance of homosexuals and their relationships. "

also read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

i think Satanism is the only religion that couldnt give a fuck who you fuck.

I'll just leave it at this, then. Since I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE that he came from a conservative religious background, why would someone make it a point to suggest that? They have no reason to other than a prejudice against religious people.

know1 wrote:

And yes, by theorizing, suggesting or whatever that he may have come from a conservative religious background you are bashing and stereotyping.

are you a religious conservative?
    polaris_x wrote:
    know1 wrote:

are you a religious conservative?

I'm a Christian. I have some very conservative views and others that are fairly liberal.

You need to open your mind to the fact that labels on people are almost always woefully inaccurate.

know1 wrote:
    I'm a Christian. I have some very conservative views and others that are fairly liberal.

You need to open your mind to the fact that labels on people are almost always woefully inaccurate.

i just wish you could see the difference between labeling people and what i said but unfortunately, you are not able to ... i have my theories but it doesn't appear it's ok to postulate on this board ...