* * * * The National Football League - 2011 * * * *

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the new league year is sort of odd. i get it, but you are going to have a ton of training camps going with a lot of players doing nothing.

there was talk that workouts were like 50/50 participation, so we could see a lot of out of shape players....that'll be kind of fun, sort of an old school feel to it, at least until they start pulling up lame.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    the new league year is sort of odd. i get it, but you are going to have a ton of training camps going with a lot of players doing nothing.

there was talk that workouts were like 50/50 participation, so we could see a lot of out of shape players....that'll be kind of fun, sort of an old school feel to it, at least until they start pulling up lame.

yeah man. most of the camps are gonna start and the teams don't even know who's on their team yet!

are they allowed contact in training camp? I read something that said they would only be allowed to have 10 practices during the year where there was hitting. Ridiculous

At least the lockout is over. Looks like the season will start on time, even if it is at the expense of the on-field product (which is goodells legacy)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Yeah, it's gonna be interesting for sure...

I don't expect many of the FA vets to be THAT out of shape. If they knew what was good for them, their non-practice workout regamine should have stayed strong. If they didn't keep up, then that's their problem.
    Hell, I know if I was at that level and making millions of dollars, I'd be busting my ass off every day in the offseason, even if there wasn't going to be a season...especially if you were on the older side.

I think they only thing that might be pretty noticable is the lack of timing on the field. Getting those reps in really counts when the season starts. I could see the first couple of games being really sloppy.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

...the less hitting and less ota's are a definite "win" for the players. coaches probably hate that shit.

i know the eagles usually have one of the toughest camps in the league. reid probably is not a big fan. then again, his teams have been fading towards the end of the season the last few years so maybe this is a good thing.

i hear you on the old school feel to it. i kinda like how teams are gonna be forced to be more vanilla this year. more basic formations and stuff. i'm hoping that means more old school smash mouth football than the pass heavy stuff teams have morphed into over the last decade. defenses will definitely have an advantage. we're gonna see a lot of low scoring games early on (think i'm gonna be all over the unders in september). i like those kind of defensive minded games though.
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    we're gonna see a lot of low scoring games early on (think i'm gonna be all over the unders in september).

Agreed. The only thing I hate about the under bet is that you can be on the edge for the whole game while over bets can be won well before the game is over. Either way, it sure is exciting to start thinking about the season and being able to start placing some bets soon!

Are you heading out to Wisconsin, Jeags? If so, I'll challenge you to a game of cornhole at our tailgate. We have a big bus with nearly 30 people...
  • Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    edited July 2011
    cue expected girl comment, in 3, 2, 1:

Thank god Clay Matthews ass will be back in spandex, where it belongs!!!
    Post edited by Ms. Wes C.addle on
    crazypjfan wrote:
    we're gonna see a lot of low scoring games early on (think i'm gonna be all over the unders in september).

Agreed. The only thing I hate about the under bet is that you can be on the edge for the whole game while over bets can be won well before the game is over. Either way, it sure is exciting to start thinking about the season and being able to start placing some bets soon!

Are you heading out to Wisconsin, Jeags? If so, I'll challenge you to a game of cornhole at our tailgate. We have a big bus with nearly 30 people...

nah not going out there. i'll be down the shore. i would crush you in cornhole though. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

yeah man. most of the camps are gonna start and the teams don't even know who's on their team yet!

are they allowed contact in training camp? I read something that said they would only be allowed to have 10 practices during the year where there was hitting. Ridiculous

At least the lockout is over. Looks like the season will start on time, even if it is at the expense of the on-field product (which is goodells legacy)
    I'm seeing 14 in season,.11 in the first 11 weeks. Just wow.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    nah not going out there. i'll be down the shore. i would crush you in cornhole though. :mrgreen:

Don't tempt me because I WILL make a special trip out to Philly with my cornhole boards, beat your ass, have a beer and then drive right back home! :lol:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

I'm seeing 14 in season,.11 in the first 11 weeks. Just wow.

i don't think that is a big deal. most teams don't hit too much during in-season practices anyway. you really only have 3 days of practice a week. most of them are walk throughs.

but it is kind of funny that the players accuse goodell of turning this into a flag football league then insist on reducing the amount of hitting in practices :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    crazypjfan wrote:

Don't tempt me because I WILL make a special trip out to Philly with my cornhole boards, beat your ass, have a beer and then drive right back home! :lol:

i'm actually buying new boards this week. my old ones are beat the fuck up. they can barely stand up.
    www.myspace.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So, let me get this straight, the NFL free agent extravaganza layered on top of the MLB trade deadline.

:shock:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    cue expected girl comment, in 3, 2, 1:

Thank god Clay Matthews ass will be back in spandex, where it belongs!!!

Yup, true sign the NFL is back ... tons of dudes and no one paid attention to the one lady in the room.

:lol:

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    I'm going to miss old school smash mouth football.

It officially died today.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Which means the Bears can go back to officially STILL SUCKING!!!!

Can't wait to be at Lambeau Sept 8th for Saints at Packers! Will be a nice end to a week that will start with 2 shows by a certain band at Alpine Valley!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    hey fans in San Diego, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Oakland and Minnesota, you might want to appreciate this season as it could be your last

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... la-stadium
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    norm wrote:
    hey fans in San Diego, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Oakland and Minnesota, you might want to appreciate this season as it could be your last

norm is taking trash talking to a new level. not my team is gonna beat your team...instead it's my city is gonna steal your team.

haha, awesome
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:

norm is taking trash talking to a new level. not my team is gonna beat your team...instead it's my city is gonna steal your team.

haha, awesome
    norm is gangsta
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:

haha, awesome

:lol:

i'll take credit for it but the trash talking is your buddy goodell ;):lol:
    Please Norm, take the Raiders.

jimed14 wrote:
    Please Norm, take the Raiders.

no!

wait, yes! then the thugs will go to those games and stay away from the dodgers
    norm wrote:

be weird if the rams went back to la :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    great part of the cba is the 90% salary cap floor.

say what you want about parity, it's nice that so many teams have a shot each year in this league.
    www.myspace.com
    great part of the cba is the 90% salary cap floor.

if you don't mind having to overpay for scrubs

i was suprised how many players only make min wage.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:

just ask the Florida Panthers bout that

i know i'm talking bout hockey but they're the perfect example of why having a cap floor is stupid
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Should be fun to see what starts happening at 10 today. Think they should have allowed teams to release players last night instead of Thursday.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    metsfan wrote:
    81 wrote:

just ask the Florida Panthers bout that

i know i'm talking bout hockey but they're the perfect example of why having a cap floor is stupid

i get the cap floor, and i don't totally disagree with it, however, imo, their needs to be a bigger window between the top and bottom.

how is the cap hit determined? prorated salary over the life of the contract, or an annual basis based on that's years contract value?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    www.myspace.com

hopefully the bears get a handful of the top players. they have money to spend and holes to fill.

i think they have the 5th most to spend at like $34M. I'd love to see them pick up a top end corner, DE and an O line man or two. If they can get a big WR, that would be cool as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

hopefully the bears get a handful of the top players. they have money to spend and holes to fill.

i think they have the 5th most to spend at like $34M. I'd love to see them pick up a top end corner, DE and an O line man or two. If they can get a big WR, that would be cool as well.

read they have interest in babin. some decent ends on the market. gonna be interesting...
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.