Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    youngster wrote:
    Thanks for raining on the parade before it even got a chance to get to me. Since November 1st all I've heard and read is that Philly was off the chain and all the nights were epic. So I order the boxset. And today I get the email that it shipped, and NOW you drop this shit on me.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking....WTF :twisted:
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    Well, i guess my ears are fucked up, because they sound fine to me. I think the thread headline should read: MSG-2 2010, THE MOST OVER-RATED SHOW EVER!!!> :o
    no. that would be incorrect too. :lol:

+1 :);)
  • Options
    I thought I was cirtical when I called MSG1 an avg show. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but... Evacuation- U come off sounding like one gigantic d-bag!

The band was on fire over that entire week, and it was beyond your little 4-disc box set. It was a celebration of the band. It was a celebration of music. It was a celebration of a building that provided a ton of memories for an entire city! I was there, heard 2,3, and 4 via download, and sounds good to me!

Maybe you can get a refund... :lol:
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    :wtf: Its all in one's perception :roll:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    People, calm down. Ive heard the boots and they sound fine.
    Tremendous shows. Eds never on every song, for an entire show.
    The Philly shows were a unreal ride. Anyone ordering them has nothing to worry about.
    The band was on fire over that entire week, and it was beyond your little 4-disc box set. It was a celebration of the band. It was a celebration of music. It was a celebration of a building that provided a ton of memories for an entire city! I was there, heard 2,3, and 4 via download, and sounds good to me!

I can't think of any other band that can play so sloppy and fans will still give them a free pass.

My point is that these shows are HIGHLY OVERRATED in general. I think the high praise these shows get is misleading, and a lot of fans are gonna come around to the fact that these shows aren't as great as the fanboys say they are. I couldn't wait to hear Philly 3, and I had to shut it off after "Cropduster". It sounds like the band is taking a shit onstage. They should bring GG Allin's corpse along as a special guest on their next run of shows.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    People, calm down. Ive heard the boots and they sound fine.
    Tremendous shows. Eds never on every song, for an entire show.
    The Philly shows were a unreal ride. Anyone ordering them has nothing to worry about.

I can't think of any other band that can play so sloppy and fans will still give them a free pass.

My point is that these shows are HIGHLY OVERRATED in general. I think the high praise these shows get is misleading, and a lot of fans are gonna come around to the fact that these shows aren't as great as the fanboys say they are. I couldn't wait to hear Philly 3, and I had to shut it off after "Cropduster". It sounds like the band is taking a shit onstage. They should bring GG Allin's corpse along as a special guest on their next run of shows.
    were u at any of these shows?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Well if nothing else I will now be listening to these with ears a lot wider open. so...thanks :? I guess :evil:
  • Options
    lgoose420 wrote:
    Well if nothing else I will now be listening to these with ears a lot wider open. so...thanks :? I guess :evil:
    dont worry the band was amazing at all 4 of these shows. Stop letting haters try and ruin something for you. Ask anyone who was at the shows and i doubt you'll here anyone bitching.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    cutz wrote:
    Well, i guess my ears are fucked up, because they sound fine to me. I think the thread headline should read: MSG-2 2010, THE MOST OVER-RATED SHOW EVER!!!> :o

R u joking? U must not have been there. They killed EVERY song and Eds voice was perfect.

I was at philly as well. There were mistakes. So what. I knew there was no way everything would be released dvd. Give pj credit though for putting it out there warts and all. Yes they blew a FEW things during the philly run.

MSG is an entirely different animal imo
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    first of all, evacuation, are you surprised? Rare songs, marathon sets, crowd energy; these seem to have become the criterion for great shows these days, right? I have been saying that I thought Eddie's voice sounded rough through most of 08-09, so its not surprising that a four night run is going to result in a shaky vocal performance. "Back in the day", when Pearl Jam only had a catalog of 40-50 songs, the energy they played then will never be matched today, sorry. I think sometimes the band themselves have become too influenced by the fanatics on this board who constantly talk about rarities, length of show, and what the crowd was like. By the way, I happen to think Gorge 2005 may be the most underrated show of all time! Does it get any better than that show, I think not!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    I believe that the mistakes are what makes PJ so endearing. OMG guys...the band is human. I'm lucky if i can remember what I did yesterday. Can you imagine trying to remember lyrics, chords, etc to their entire catalog? STFU!!! :evil:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    I believe that the mistakes are what makes PJ so endearing. OMG guys...the band is human. I'm lucky if i can remember what I did yesterday. Can you imagine trying to remember lyrics, chords, etc to their entire catalog? STFU!!! :evil:

That is not his point. I think we are all very forgiving re: making mistakes. I think he is saying that a rare setlist does not make a great show, its the band's performance level that should determine how great a show is. He's saying that these shows were laced with more than the average amount of mistakes, and he's confused why people are so hyped on these shows.
  • Options

Did you not read my first post?
  • Options
    zootown wrote:

That is not his point. I think we are all very forgiving re: making mistakes. I think he is saying that a rare setlist does not make a great show, its the band's performance level that should determine how great a show is. He's saying that these shows were laced with more than the average amount of mistakes, and he's confused why people are so hyped on these shows.

:clap:
  • Options

actually i hope to never read another one of your posts,nit pickers drive me crazy sorry.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    If you want to nit-pick about the sloppy play go listen to a band that just regurgitates the same set list, moves and pyro night after night. The band will be tight then and you'll be bored cause you'll have nothing to bitch about.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Hey evac, you should give up now, man. It aint gonna take around here- although I got you.
  • Options

actually i hope to never read another one of your posts,nit pickers drive me crazy sorry.

I understand. You'd rather suck Eddie's balls than have an actual opinion on something. That's okay. There are lots of fans that you can mingle with.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!

They're a pro band, and should behave accordingly, which means playing well rehearsed sets. They don't have to play everything perfect, but there's times when there are too many mistakes.
  • Options
    Did you not read my first post?[/quote]
    actually i hope to never read another one of your posts,nit pickers drive me crazy sorry.[/quote]

I understand. You'd rather suck Eddie's balls than have an actual opinion on something. That's okay. There are lots of fans that you can mingle with.[/quote]
    u werent there so in my view u cant understand what happen that night. I far from suck ed's balls i just know what an amazing show that was and can't stand people bitching just to get a charge out of people. U did now move on.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    cutz wrote:

R u joking? U must not have been there. They killed EVERY song and Eds voice was perfect.

I was at philly as well. There were mistakes. So what. I knew there was no way everything would be released dvd. Give pj credit though for putting it out there warts and all. Yes they blew a FEW things during the philly run.

MSG is an entirely different animal imo

No, i'm not joking and i was there. The sound at MSG was just OK, so that doesn't help. It wasn't bad but it could've been better. Was phsyced when i heard Breath so early in the set, but Ed messed up the lyrics(i've listen to a AUD boot). The few rarities they did were ok, not great. PMPM just doesn't go over well live. Was really glad to hear Black Red Yellow, but that was just ok too. I was really unimpressed with the first encore, except RVM was GREAT. Sweet Lew? Really dug Hunger Strike though. I just think if that same show was played in any other city or venue, it would barely be talked about. I don't let the city or venue affect me when it comes to concerts, or the crowd.
  • Options
    I understand. You'd rather suck Eddie's balls than have an actual opinion on something. That's okay. There are lots of fans that you can mingle with.[/quote]

What a tool! viewtopic.php?t=113754

You even get your song on night 2 (arguably the weakest show of the 4) and you were prepared to hate on the show from the start.

Totally missed the point of the entire 4 night set... I bet you hated it when he chanted "Rauuuuuuuuullll" out of tune too!

Maybe I am a sheep, but at least I am not douche!

Light(en) up and have some f'in fun.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,418
    Was an awesome show...guess you had to be there to enjoy it. :lol:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    I'll enjoy them a lot no matter what I read about here, everyone is entitled to they opinion good or bad, I'm one of those fans that believe that the band is incapable of doing wrong :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    beanpj10beanpj10 Posts: 36
    If you want a band who's going to change things up, have a huge list of songs for their tours, and play really long shows then there are always going to be mistakes. Not many bands do it, the Dead and Phish play tons of different songs, make a lot of mistakes, and have many great shows.
    So if you're saying the shows are bad- i disagree... if you were saying they're over rated - i could see that...since they're probably not the "best shows ever".. but they are a lot of fun.
    8/28/98, 9/8/98, 8/3/00, 8/23/00, 8/24/00,8/27/00, 9/1/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/9/03, 7/14/03, 5/31/06
    6/3/06, 6/19/08, EV 8/7/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 05/18/10, EV 6/18/11, 10/25/13, 4/29/16, 9/2/18
  • Options
    reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 539
    i agree with op. philly three is the only show worth revisiting and it has a few fuckupsas well. It all goes back to the fluffing of Boston 3 2003. Besides the acoustic set it is a mess but people always call it a best of all time show. i was there and noticed them fucking up then and then on the tapes. They rushed to try to fit all of the song sin and it shows. i still had fun, but fans put too much on the setlist and not the actual playing. solid thread op. i was thinking of starting the same thread.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 539
    beanpj10 wrote:
    If you want a band who's going to change things up, have a huge list of songs for their tours, and play really long shows then there are always going to be mistakes. Not many bands do it, the Dead and Phish play tons of different songs, make a lot of mistakes, and have many great shows.
    So if you're saying the shows are bad- i disagree... if you were saying they're over rated - i could see that...since they're probably not the "best shows ever".. but they are a lot of fun.

the difference here is that The Dead and Phish make up for their mistakes with epic jams which is why people go to the shows. Pj just has the songs, so if there are a lot of mistakes it's obvious and there isn't an awesome 15 minute funk groove to cover it up.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    beanpj10 wrote:

Yea, i"m sure we would ALL take a few fuck ups, to hear a different set list EVERY night, then them playing the same set list EVERY night. The day they stop playing a different set list is the day i ONLY see them once a tour.

Still can't believe anyone would call the Philly shows, the MOST over-rated EVER. Must be a MSG-2 2010 lover> :lol:
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    I disagree. The band sounds relaxed and happy to play
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    beanpj10beanpj10 Posts: 36
    beanpj10 wrote:

the difference here is that The Dead and Phish make up for their mistakes with epic jams which is why people go to the shows. Pj just has the songs, so if there are a lot of mistakes it's obvious and there isn't an awesome 15 minute funk groove to cover it up.

i hear ya, I've been to many more phish and dead shows than PJ.. I rarely go in looking for actual "songs" to be perfect with the dead... I was just getting at - if you want to hear bugs, sweet lew- etc.. it's gonna be rough, cause I feel like they're doing it for us, I don't really think they care about those songs. They would probably rather play Backspacer front to back every night.
    8/28/98, 9/8/98, 8/3/00, 8/23/00, 8/24/00,8/27/00, 9/1/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/9/03, 7/14/03, 5/31/06
    6/3/06, 6/19/08, EV 8/7/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 05/18/10, EV 6/18/11, 10/25/13, 4/29/16, 9/2/18
This discussion has been closed.