The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Beau Hossler needs to hit the gym. He looks flabby.

Yeah, he's a funny looking fellow. I like his composure. Wish my swing looked like his.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    gotta wonder how this prolonged drought of wins will effect tiger. I sort of wonder if he might walk away. Not this year or next but in a few years. I see no scenario where he wins another major in the next few years. I certainly dont see a field of players cowering in fear everytime tiger picks up a club and enrolls in an event. In fact, everyone else seems to breeze right past him. and clearly winning pre-major events has no bearing on how well he does in actual majors. he's done that twice now. this time seemed even more over the top in terms of premature celebration than at augusta.

ive long made the statement this is all mental for tiger. He can get the lead in events but then collapses.

Dude, stop. You're embarrassing yourself. This is the hardest tournament of the year. Look at Phil's score. Tiger is not going anywhere.

werent you the person suggesting tiger was a lock for this tournament? Or was that just the multitudes of others who said the same thing.

Im not saying anything that isnt a fact. Tiger is 4 years without a major. he's won two tournaments in that time, both non majors. And both times prior to a major, Each time he won, people started uncorking champane right when they heard he won this non major.

And its also a fact people acted like tiger was a lock to win as recently as Friday. And that was in large part because he was tied for first. Seeing as how he isnt first anymore, and is way back, something clearly happened. He didnt just magically stop dominating. Something happened. What that was specifically is up for debate, but it wasnt just out of nowhere.

his record these past 4 years speaks for itself. Golf has moved on. The names of young 20 year old golfers and in this event 17 year olds are capturing the imaginations of golf fans worldwide. Again this wasnt magic. Other players are now dominating and winning and major champs. Tonight they will crown a US Open champ and that person wont be Tiger.

Majors are majors. People could come at Jordan his entire career and he could back it up every year by winning all awards and championships. Tiger hasnt won.

Talk to me when he has number 15. Then we can talk. Then he can talk.

Tiger woods in 2012 doesnt dominate. You can talk 14 majors all you want. But thats in the past. Until tiger can combat the ghosts he has in his head, in his personal life, his injuries both physical and mental, and the fact he isnt the tiger woods of 1997, then he wont be able to win a major and will only sporadically win events.

Its been 4 years....
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I don't think anyone said Tiger was "a lock" to win at any point. You make a valid point that something's changed with him (either with him, his proximity to his peers, or both). The comparisons of Tiger to others in other sports needs to stop. Comparing a basketball player and what is involved in answering critics and Tiger is completely different.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Tiger's not "walking away". And its naive to think there's "no scenario" where he wins the next few years. Anything can happen with any of these players in any of these 4 majors we have, which is part of the beauty of the game.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Beau Hossler needs to hit the gym. He looks flabby.

Yeah, he's a funny looking fellow. I like his composure. Wish my swing looked like his.
    Johnny Miller insulted Beau yesterday by comparing his swing/game to Colin Montgomerie. It takes decades of boozing to develop a Monty-like swing/game.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Johnny Miller is an asshole
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    :lol: someone yelled Baba Booey
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

:lol: someone yelled Baba Booey
    Heard that too. They should have positioned Sal and Richard doing gross shit in the gallery.
    I don't think anyone said Tiger was "a lock" to win at any point. You make a valid point that something's changed with him (either with him, his proximity to his peers, or both). The comparisons of Tiger to others in other sports needs to stop. Comparing a basketball player and what is involved in answering critics and Tiger is completely different.

i have no idea what will happen in the next few years or the rest of tigers career. Its merely my opinion he will never win another major. But lets face it to say he will win a major again, or a major every time he enters into a tourney is the same thing, an opinion. The fact that he won 14 majors doesnt guarantee he will will a 15th or a 20th or a 30th. All it says is he has won more majors than anyone other than Jack.

This goes for golfers and for any other person in a creative field, or sports field. Sports is loaded with athletes who have dominated for years then disappeared and only re-emerged as shadows of their former selves. Its naive to think that just because tiger once won majors, 14 of them, that he can or will win any in the future.

Im sure the golf fanatics on this board can tell us better than I can, Golf has changed. Many players during the 1999-2005 run, felt tiger would win any major he entered. And they were usually right. Players feared tiger. That fear just doesnt exist anymore. Whether thats tiger getting older, or mental issues, or the field getting better, or new blood entering the game who raised the bar for other players etc... I have no idea what exactly triggered it or what happened. All I know is that the idea that if tiger enters a major that this equals a dominant tiger, that doesnt exist anymore.

I think its a mistake for people to expect that of anyone, whether we are discussing Dylan replicating his early successes, or Tiger winning more majors. He's going to do what he's going to do. If that means winning more majors, that remains to be seen.

As I said, having 14 majors under your belt means little in terms of if you will win 15. That should be obvious in this 4 year drought.
    What's the winning number? I think this is going to be finished tomorrow.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

agree, 2 players at even. Furyk and ??
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Tiger's not "walking away". And its naive to think there's "no scenario" where he wins the next few years. Anything can happen with any of these players in any of these 4 majors we have, which is part of the beauty of the game.

im surprised so few people have caught the interviews with him, and press conferences with tiger that seem to suggest, not that he will be retiring tomorrow, but that he is thinking and aware that he doesnt want to play golf the rest of his life. the fact he has publicly admitted this, shows he's aware of it, and i think is significant. And it makes sense, the guy has spent over 30 years maniacally obsessed with golf, makes sense he also is aware that other things like his kids and other interests, are also as important as golf.

Thats all im saying. Presumably, there will come a time when he retires. Like every athlete. Or every person really. I think he is aware of this. And I also dont think he will be doing the Seniors tour. I dont picture him at 50 playing golf.

I think he realized, through the events of Thanksgiving Night a few years back, that there were more important things in life than golf. And I think thats reflective of his growth as a human being, and also growing up, and that he didnt want to spend the rest of his life working 24/7 on his golf game. And i think that has obviously been implemented in his life, I dont think he does spend 18 hours a day playing or studying golf. And thats a good thing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

agree, 2 players at even. Furyk and ??

Who the hell knows.
    Wow, hell of a putt
    What a putt for Furyk
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    What a putt for Furyk
    he's from my hometown :D (so i'm rooting for him)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    I'm calling +1 playoff. Ah the US Open, where millions of viewers dedicate hours of a beautiful June weekend, only to have the outcome decided on Monday when nobody can watch it.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I'm calling +1 playoff. Ah the US Open, where millions of viewers dedicate hours of a beautiful June weekend, only to have the outcome decided on Monday when nobody can watch it.
    I get Mondays off. :D
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    I get Mondays off. :D
    Enjoy it man!

World Wide Webb Simpson baby!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    webb simpson played out of his mind today

fury just looked at the scoreboard...hope he doesn't get in his head
    What a putt for Furyk
    he's from my hometown :D (so i'm rooting for him)

See you at Merion for next years Open ;)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    borderline painful to watch ...
    ok ... c'mon ... hope they both birdie 18 ...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Needs to sink this to take it to playoffs.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Well Simpson earned it. Played far and away the best through the weekend.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    crazy
    congrats webb ...

picked you in my pool but unfortunately also picked luke donald ... :fp:
    Old legs on Furyk. He belongs on the Celtics. Sorry, couldnt help myself.

Gutsy, gamely effort says Hicks.
    i wonder if being warned about slow play got to furyk ...
    crazy stat of the day

Webb Simpson becomes the 15th different golfer to win in the last 15 Majors.