The Golf Thread

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I am going to try to get out this summer, but it's not looking good. No time and no money...

But I will be watching this weekend. Probably keep an eye on the leaderboard in work and catch the end of the Tiger, Phil, Bubba group on Thursday.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Horos wrote:
    Anybody else watch The Big Break? I usually only get into the women episodes but really like this competition.

Way back when it was first starting I thought they should have done Big Break Fore and brought in a bunch of hackers to try these challenges.
    Yeah, I tend to only watch the girlies compete on that show. My favorite challenges are the breaking the glass from 20-30 yards out, and also the one where they have to flop it up over the netting onto the green.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    Missed a 10 footer on number 9 for a birdie today, I would have carded a 39!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm with phil on this one...i don't want the best players in the world to play the way i do...a shitty hole

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye- ... -road-kill
    norm wrote:
    i'm with phil on this one...i don't want the best players in the world to play the way i do...a shitty hole

While I agree with you norm (and Phil), he had 214 left after two shots? What did he hit on the 2nd, 7 iron? Everybody in the field should be able to get within 150 for their third. It is too long, and a ridiculous feat to make a bird on it, its not impossible. It should be challenging, it's the US Open.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    While I agree with you norm (and Phil), he had 214 left after two shots? What did he hit on the 2nd, 7 iron? Everybody in the field should be able to get within 150 for their third. It is too long, and a ridiculous feat to make a bird on it, its not impossible. It should be challenging, it's the US Open.

sounds like the problem is you can't bomb it off the tee ... so, if you have to lay up off the tee and everyone has to hit to the same spot - there is no particular advantage for the lengthy hitters ...
    polaris_x wrote:

sounds like the problem is you can't bomb it off the tee ... so, if you have to lay up off the tee and everyone has to hit to the same spot - there is no particular advantage for the lengthy hitters ...
    I haven't seen the actual hole yet, but a modest driver/3wood off the tee for these tour players is prob 250. With a driver/3wood from the deck in that common spot on the fairway at 240-250 should leave 170-180 for a third shot. Certainly manageable for any tour pro (prob a 9 iron for Tiger). It is super long, and arguably too long, but Phil (and others) should be able to handle it, given they hit the fairway (which ultimately is what the US open is all about, and ultimately the reason why Phil hasn't won, coming up short 5 times).
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I haven't seen the actual hole yet, but a modest driver/3wood off the tee for these tour players is prob 250. With a driver/3wood from the deck in that common spot on the fairway at 240-250 should leave 170-180 for a third shot. Certainly manageable for any tour pro (prob a 9 iron for Tiger). It is super long, and arguably too long, but Phil (and others) should be able to handle it, given they hit the fairway (which ultimately is what the US open is all about, and ultimately the reason why Phil hasn't won, coming up short 5 times).

ya ... not sure ... i think they also mentioned the hole playing into the wind ... having said that - they wrote bubba went driver off the tee and driver off the fairway and was 60 yds short ... soo ... it doesn't shock me if guys are gonna be hitting hybrids or long irons into this par 5 ...
    hole in one on the 291 par 4 7th by Alvaro Quiros

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/live-f ... le-in-one/
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:

IDK I think some of the fun of watching golf is seeing the pros hit shots just as bad as I do. Grant it's a less often for them and frequent for me. It's the US Open, if a lot of guys are scoring under par than it's too easy.
    #FHP
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Phil :lol:
    Hell of a recovery
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    norm wrote:

I don't have a problem with the hole especially since the course is playing under 7200 yards. I love seeing these guys get their asses handed to them a few times a year, bring on the big numbers :corn:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lefty being lefty :fp:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Here comes the putter throw
    Here comes the putter throw

:lol::lol: so true

Scott Van Pelt on the online feed. He is the best thign about ESPN. He's great.

"Hit it, pick up the tee...have at it boys, I'll be over here waiting and we'll walk down"
    Yeah, SVP is great and I loved Andy North's hacky bit yesterday wearing the doctor's coat about the method to picking a champ.

And I'd like to also say I picked Kuch-dog last week, days before North picked Kuch-dog.
    Yeah, SVP is great and I loved Andy North's hacky bit yesterday wearing the doctor's coat about the method to picking a champ.

And I'd like to also say I picked Kuch-dog last week, days before North picked Kuch-dog.

Ha, I caught that right before the Yankees game started last night. It's pretty funny. Ha, that's right. I like him too. I wouldn't be upset at him winning, but obviously pulling for Tiger who is off to a good start.
    Yeah, part of me is still pulling for Tiger. I just feel that Kuchar has paid his dues, worked his way up and now its his time. He's like Shooter McGavin in that respect, I think. And he's not about to let his reign at the top be ruined by some freak, sideshow clown.
    Yeah, part of me is still pulling for Tiger. I just feel that Kuchar has paid his dues, worked his way up and now its his time. He's like Shooter McGavin in that respect, I think. And he's not about to let his reign at the top be ruined by some freak, sideshow clown.

:lol::lol:
    thank fuck i can now watch this on tv and thank fuck i have direct tv
    lmao

not chris berman...please for the love of god not that asshole :x
    norm wrote:
    not chris berman...please for the love of god not that asshole :x

Oh god. I have the marquee group online at work and get Scott Van Pelt.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Please let Kevin Na blow up I don't want to watch this guy all weekend.
    Good god Phil. That looks like me.
    HAHHAHAHAHAH. Bubba hitting the driver on his second
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    HAHHAHAHAHAH. Bubba hitting the driver on his second
    After his comments on the huge par5 yesterday, its gotten to his head I think
    I wont have a chance to watch til tomorrow (gonna do golf and England/Ukraine at the same time if i can)
    phil does know where the fairways are, right?