The Golf Thread

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the problem for me with the open is it's on pretty much in the middle of the night...yeah i do record but it isn't the same...i realize this is a poor excuse but sue me! and get off my lawn!! :twisted: :lol:

anyway, judging by what i've read about the rough, i'd say the golfer that keeps it's in the fairway the most should win
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    norm wrote:
    anyway, judging by what i've read about the rough, i'd say the golfer that keeps it's in the fairway the most should win
    Oh yeah. Usually the case for the Open, but it seems more so this time at Royal Lytham.

And I forgot about the 2am wakeup for ya norm. Not good for the Open, not good for the Olympics. I'll be catching some action from 5-7am before work Thursday and Fri.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    I love the British but I rather play than watch golf any day of the week so its DVR time for the weekend.
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    The key to Lytham will be to avoid the bunkers.There are lots of them and they are nasty.
    Can't wait for Thursday!
    Pulling for Westwood to finally get it done.
    Looks like some British weather will be a factor also.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    heres a question i wanted to ask all you golfers, do you ever forget what shot you are taking? Meaning, I often see like at press conferences, the press asking the players "what happened on 15", "wasnt that a great shot on 7". And it sort of seems to me, like it would be hard to remember what hole was what. That the 15th would blend in with the 4th, which would blend into the 12th. Or do you ever, get confused and think you are hitting your 3rd shot on a hole but its really your 4th?

Im not really competitive at all, i am with myself, but in a sporting event i never really considered it my mission to beat everyone and win. I just enjoyed playing the game. Thats ultimately why I really dont follow or play sports, the whole lets kill them, or win, mentality really is alien to me.
    professional golfers will remember nearly every shot (including club, yardage etc) they've ever taken...serious amateurs will remember most of their shots and on down a sliding scale to you're average hacker that only remember the good shots since they're rare

it has nothing to do with competition...it's how one plays the game...every hole is unique and a good golfer has to know how each hole plays in order to determine what type of shot to play...this is made easier if you play the same course(s) over and over...it's how one gets better at the game
    norm wrote:
    professional golfers will remember nearly every shot (including club, yardage etc) they've ever taken...serious amateurs will remember most of their shots and on down a sliding scale to you're average hacker that only remember the good shots since they're rare

it has nothing to do with competition...it's how one plays the game...every hole is unique and a good golfer has to know how each hole plays in order to determine what type of shot to play...this is made easier if you play the same course(s) over and over...it's how one gets better at the game

So true that's a great answer.
    norm wrote:

i would think it was the complete opposite myself. But im interested in zen so maybe thats it. i would think especially in golf, each hole is unique, and would be approached as such. if you had a horrible run at the 4th, you would need to forget about it, and focus on hole 5, with mind clear. Same with each individual shot, or put. Each one is unique and would need to be approached this was. if you hit a horrible shot into a bunker, you would need to put that behind you and have a clear head when you got in the bunker and attempted to hit out of it.

Thats what i mean when I talk about forgetting what shot you are taking or what hole you did what. I would think you wouldnt or shouldnt be thinking "this is shot 4 on this hole", but rather this is a single shot on this hole, nothing more, nothing less.

but sure, i agree, people like tiger, who has been playing for 30 plus years, obviously is going to be better at knowing and keeping track of their score, and also knowing that on the 12th for instance he had an awful run for an example
    So true that's a great answer.

thanks! so it made sense? honestly, it's tough for me to explain to someone who doesn't play...or play seriously
    i would think it was the complete opposite myself. But im interested in zen so maybe thats it. i would think especially in golf, each hole is unique, and would be approached as such. if you had a horrible run at the 4th, you would need to forget about it, and focus on hole 5, with mind clear. Same with each individual shot, or put. Each one is unique and would need to be approached this was. if you hit a horrible shot into a bunker, you would need to put that behind you and have a clear head when you got in the bunker and attempted to hit out of it.

Thats what i mean when I talk about forgetting what shot you are taking or what hole you did what. I would think you wouldnt or shouldnt be thinking "this is shot 4 on this hole", but rather this is a single shot on this hole, nothing more, nothing less.

but sure, i agree, people like tiger, who has been playing for 30 plus years, obviously is going to be better at knowing and keeping track of their score, and also knowing that on the 12th for instance he had an awful run for an example

yeah you've got it more or less...with golf, you're always learning

i understand what you mean about forgetting what shot you're on while you're playing...happens to me too when i'm playing shitty and taking way too many strokes...that falls in the 'hacker only remembers the good shots' category ;)

arnold palmer is like 79 years old...you could ask him right now what club he hit on his second shot, on the 12th in the 1962 us open and he'll tell ya...to be that good you have to play like that
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    At least for myself the competition is primarily with myself. Of course we have a few bets rolling out there but I'm always trying to play better than I did the last time.

Players are in the moment and forgetting those bad shots are key to staying mentally in the game, but they are being filed in the memory banks. I've always been good at remembering everyone in the groups stroke count, they look to me when in question of a particular score. After the round if I try I could recall every shot I took. But unlike the Arnie example I don't remember them for long.
    #FHP
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I love how i was watching live golf while making/eating breakfast before work this morning! :mrgreen:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you rarely talk about shots that aren't memorable but i can remember pretty much every shot i made after a round ... it's not that hard ...
    All those spotters and Phil is still having a hell of a time.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:

earlier i saw phil ask a marshal if he could move the grass so he could see the ball :shock:

should be an interesting tourney...and tiger getting in the 67 could be huge if the weather comes up in later rounds
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Go Bubba?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    norm wrote:
    Horos wrote:

earlier i saw phil ask a marshal if he could move the grass so he could see the ball :shock:

should be an interesting tourney...and tiger getting in the 67 could be huge if the weather comes up in later rounds
    Saw that too. Guess he was hoping for some local rule or something. ;)
    #FHP
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    norm wrote:

Well said. Right on norm.

These guys on tour are afforded ample time to play practice rounds and walk the course while the caddy makes notes. Everyone in this field understands the correct way to play each hole after several rounds.

As for amateurs, you make an excellent point. All too often, we are affected by outside forces. Our playing partners, other thoughts. Its between you and the course that determines a score. Whether you shoot 67, 80 or 105.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    -10....damn
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    -10....damn

brent went all snedeker today :lol::lol:
    Tiger holes out on 18 from the bunker for a bird back to back 67's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNyASs1vSs
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    Tiger holes out on 18 from the bunker for a bird back to back 67's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNyASs1vSs

fuck tiger.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    GO TIGER!!!
    What a shot outta that bunker on 18...
    I'll assume IMALIVE doesn't golf or had his family ruined by Tiger re: the "f#*@ Tiger" comment above...
    Keep hating dude - everyone is entitled to their fan faves and opinions - but I'll never understand a true golf fan hating Tiger...he's only the BEST to EVER play the game
    But Jordan, Ruth, Gretzky had haters I suppose...
    GO TIGER!!!
    Snedeker and Scott fall apart like cheap suits this wknd, btw... :lol:
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Keep hating dude - everyone is entitled to their fan faves and opinions - but I'll never understand a true golf fan hating Tiger...he's only the BEST to EVER play the game

probably so.....but he's still a major dick ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    GO TIGER!!!
    I'll assume IMALIVE doesn't golf or had his family ruined by Tiger re: the "f#*@ Tiger" comment above...
    GO TIGER!!!

This person does not know their golf history.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
    if things continue the way they are now it will be tiger and stevie, er i mean adam scott, in the final twosome :P

:corn:
    RoughMix wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    GO TIGER!!!
    GO TIGER!!!

Uh, Where is Snedeker??? Scott is playing very well, but there is still tomorrow...
    You, my friend, know not of what you speak...unarguable point about Tiger being the best (yes, he'd beat Jack in his prime IMO)
    Anytime you want to talk "history" I'll be glad to discuss...
    edited July 2012
    RoughMix wrote:

Woods has won 74 official PGA Tour events, 14 majors, has the lowest career scoring average in PGA Tour history, only player to have won all four professional major championships in a row, earned the most $$$ in the history of the Tour, set the all-time record for 142 consecutive cuts made, wins 27.2% of his starts, only golfer to have won the U.S. Amateur three consecutive times, holds the record for most consecutive weeks at No. 1, (281), and the most total number of weeks, (623) AND has spent 750 weeks in the top 10.
    He also holds the largest margin of victory in the US Open, British Open and Masters...
    TOUR player of the year 10 times...PGA Player of the Year 10 times...Vardon trophy winner 8 times...(all records)...
    Granted Jack has 4 more majors, but even HE said Tiger is better - oh, yeah, and Tiger has won more PGA Tour events than Jack. Jack never won MULTIPLE majors in consecutive years either..
    Jack was phenomenal and set the bar Tiger is chasing, but in their primes, Tiger>Jack.
    You can question his character, his "arrogance" and his personality. You can even root against him...But simply Tiger is:
    Best. Ever.
    Your turn Mr. History - please, I'd love to read your thoughts ;)
    Good luck to Adam Scott tomorrow, but GO TIGER!!!
    Post edited by PJFAN13 on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    I am glad the shit show of Stevie and Tiger is not happening tomorrow. A caddie shouldn't be the story of the final round of a major.
    personality plays a huge role and to ignore it is silly. If PJ were jerks and mean to fans and everyone, that would obviously effect peoples perception of the band and music. The fact that tiger went completely overboard plays a huge role. And to ignore that people still feel angry upset let down, and mad at him, is to ignore reality. hell, there was a thread about Oasis the other day and pretty much no one would admit the band was great, the fact they are egomaniacs was the main focus of the thread.

I think you have to seperate his golf acheievments from his personality. You can admire what he does on the course and still be completely turned off by how he conducts his life. I think most people generally see him for what he is. A supremely talented golfer who messed up royally in his personal life