Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    So Phil and Rickie sound to be bouncing too.  No shock with Rickie, looks like he was going to need to find a place to play anyway.  Goodness though, Phil, really going through with it and playing the twilight of his career on YouTube.

Will he officially be out on all things Ryder Cup?  Gotta figure yes, right?

What a downfall for Rickie.  It was funny to read about him "weighing his options"......dude is about to lose his tour card.

Sounds like anyone involved in this will be out on Ryder Cups.  Phil was a lock to be captain in at Bethpage.  Surprised by the Euro dudes joining as Poulter, Westwood and Garcia were all locks to be captains at some point as well.
  • Options
    I was wondering how to watch this. So it's not going to be on any tv channels?
    Right.  Just on their website and youtube channel apparently.  Apparently they're going to have to wear matching team uniforms for the team aspect of this thing.  This is going to be cringeworthy.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    Hey everyone check your emails.  It's Masters ticket time again.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    Yeah, I am not watching this, not going to support it or give it any credibility.

Rather watch the women or Korn Ferry
  • Options
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    $200 million?! Holy shit. Do they think this is early 2000's Phil? Jesus
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    blood money.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Will be interesting to see if Mickelson will bring a lawsuit. All apologies now but he’ll be back.  Even $200m isn’t enough for a guy like him.  
  • Options
    I have started to like practicing more than playing golf right now.  2 hours at the range goes quickly.  

Maybe because I suck on the course right now.  Got three weeks to get good before Ireland.
  • Options
    DJ is officially off the PGA (and Ryder cup) and the first press conference sounds like it was a shit show 
  • Options
    LOL.  Who could have seen this coming?!?

• Options
    Oh man I knew this would be cringey but holy shit look at these team names.  I think I'll throw my support behind the Iron Heads!!!

• Options
    It’s incredible 
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    Wade Ormsby is a captain!  Hilarious.  Team Punch is gonna suck.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    I hope the PGA bans these guys for life.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    pjhawks said:
    I think they've all taken this into consideration and don't care. Plus they can still play in the majors even if banned from the PGA Tour. But you'd need an exemption like how DJ, Phil, Swartzel, and Garcia are exempt for The Masters for life. But other exemptions can run out. Like, will this LIV Tour count towards World Golf Rankings? If not, then they'll all fall out of eligibility for majors that they're not exempt for. By winning the 2020 Masters, DJ is exempt for five years for the other three majors. But once that exemption runs out, assuming he tumbles down the World Golf Rankings due to not being on the PGA Tour, he may never qualify for those tournaments again. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    pjhawks said:
    I think they've all taken this into consideration and don't care. Plus they can still play in the majors even if banned from the PGA Tour. But you'd need an exemption like how DJ, Phil, Swartzel, and Garcia are exempt for The Masters for life. But other exemptions can run out. Like, will this LIV Tour count towards World Golf Rankings? If not, then they'll all fall out of eligibility for majors that they're not exempt for. By winning the 2020 Masters, DJ is exempt for five years for the other three majors. But once that exemption runs out, assuming he tumbles down the World Golf Rankings due to not being on the PGA Tour, he may never qualify for those tournaments again. 
    That's right.. I don't think DJ cares.  But it will be interesting for the younger guys, and the younger guys not yet on a tour.  I cannot see the other international tours giving the LIV tour cover or the majors.  I think the Saudis will stay out on an island and it becomes a place where you can go make pretty decent money rather than being a middling player on the PGA.  But no access to the majors unless you qualify for the Opens the old fashioned way (and the way Fowler has to do it anyway, since he didn't qualify).  
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    Phil in his SI interview, says he expects to be allowed to play the PGA Tour too, because he's "earned a lifetime membership (a minimum of 20 victories and 15 years on the PGA Tour)."  Haha.  We'll see how that goes for him.  He also says he expects to play the US Open this year, and he's had hundreds of hours of therapy for his embarrassing gambling addiction.  Good read:

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    short term the money for the stars is so great I agree they don't care at the moment. I think eventually though...

does this tour have TV coverage?  I think this week is just streaming?   Hard to survive without tv coverage in the long run.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    edited June 2022
    Does anyone want anything  from the new Saudi golf league at st.albans.  its my hometown. Im gonna  check it out
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The “ticket” for the JP McManus pro-am next month is a cap that you wear.  Pretty cool.  Tiger said he is still planning to play.  Looks like an easy walk and he probably will just look at it as a chance to practice (although not links golf at all).  Hopefully he plays.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I don't understand why?  It's competition.  There a European tour, granted it's backed by the PGA but still.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    short term the money for the stars is so great I agree they don't care at the moment. I think eventually though...

does this tour have TV coverage?  I think this week is just streaming?   Hard to survive without tv coverage in the long run.
    Streaming is the future and TV is dying.  The amount of press this is getting will help them if anything.
  • Options
    khashoggi.

fuck all those guys. fuck the saudis.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Wobbie said:
    khashoggi.

I agree.  Fuck the Saudis. 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    khashoggi.

this.  it's blood money. 

"I I I ain't gonna play Sun City"
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The US government is happy to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia.  It is blood money for sure but if the US government is happy to work with Saudi Arabia and sell them weapons then should DJ feel like he can’t play in a golf tournament?
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    a) we shouldn’t be selling them weapons.

b) it’s kinda different. DJ made $40M last year. he’s a money grubbing fuck.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The US government is happy to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia.  It is blood money for sure but if the US government is happy to work with Saudi Arabia and sell them weapons then should DJ feel like he can’t play in a golf tournament?
    He can but I think it's fair to be judged for that.  He did take direct money from them not just prize money so it's not like he is just playing in a golf tournament they are running. he is now in business with them.  

"is your money that good?"
    Masters of War
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    a) we shouldn’t be selling them weapons.

b) it’s kinda different. DJ made $40M last year. he’s a money grubbing fuck.
    I like that he says this is the right decision for his family.  He could retire today and the family would be fine.   Certainly less time playing LIV than PGA Tour, but the whole family thing rings hollow for a PGA superstar.