Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Well Romo has to start turning those red zone trips into 7 points not 3...but he is what he is....and that's what he does, starts to reel people back in then boom...he sucks again...not me, he's the QB, he's got to get the team touchdowns when in the red zone more than he does.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Jerry Jones locked out of Cowboys' locker room

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ocker-room

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Record-breaking Jason Witten: 'You play to compete for championships'

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... mpionships

All Jason needs is a championship to complete what has already been an amazing career...hopefully he gets that in Dallas and doesn't need to leave to get a championship.

:clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Just not a fan of Jason Garrett lately. Maybe he should've listened to romo and played more hurry up offense. It's the only time they scored a touchdown! Again, defense looks promising but the offense is struggling. I know everyone likes to blame romo but yesterday he played good and wasn't the reason for the loss.

Big game against the eagles next week to stay out of the cellar!!

Can you really blame Garrett for not listening to his quarterback who leads the NFL in interceptions? If Romo wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions last week his coach might have more confidence in him. I agree, he's not to blame for the loss. But it's also possible that had Garrett turned Romo loose he could have thrown 5 more interceptions.

As it stands, Garrett's gameplan kept it a game, and they were competitive. Maybe if the defense hadn't let Atlanta eat up 5:04 of the last 5:21 of the game Dallas could have won. Or Romo could have blown it, who knows. Maybe what Garrett did kept the score as close as it did. It's all speculation.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Just not a fan of Jason Garrett lately. Maybe he should've listened to romo and played more hurry up offense. It's the only time they scored a touchdown! Again, defense looks promising but the offense is struggling. I know everyone likes to blame romo but yesterday he played good and wasn't the reason for the loss.

Big game against the eagles next week to stay out of the cellar!!

Can you really blame Garrett for not listening to his quarterback who leads the NFL in interceptions? If Romo wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions last week his coach might have more confidence in him. I agree, he's not to blame for the loss. But it's also possible that had Garrett turned Romo loose he could have thrown 5 more interceptions.

As it stands, Garrett's gameplan kept it a game, and they were competitive. Maybe if the defense hadn't let Atlanta eat up 5:04 of the last 5:21 of the game Dallas could have won. Or Romo could have blown it, who knows. Maybe what Garrett did kept the score as close as it did. It's all speculation.

Then if what your saying is true...then it's time for Orton.

• Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453

The defense did an excellent job stopping them in the end. Twice. But Orlando Scandrick had to flat out whiff on a tackle and get called for a penalty. Two 3rd downs, two blown chances by one guy. What more could the other ten guys do when you have a mental breakdown by the 4th team corner..

If they get the ball back with a couple minutes, they win the majority of the time since Romo excels in the fourth quarter. Here's an excerpt from an article written in the beginning of the year:

Since 2006 no quarterback -- not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, has a better fourth-quarter passer rating than Romo (100.0). Only Brees (39) and Philip Rivers (39) have more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Romo's 34. Only Brees (5,905), Manning (4,886) and Rivers (4,751) have more fourth-quarter yards than Romo's 4,712. Romo has thrown 17 fourth-quarter interceptions, which is fewer than Brees (25), Brett Favre (25), Eli Manning (27), Jay Cutler (22) and Ben Roethlisberger (22) among others. Brady has just 11. Peyton Manning has 13.

ESPN poll(from today) for those that think Romo is the problem:

Where are the Cowboys in most need of change?

42%
    General manager

34%
    Head coach/offensive coordinator

7%
    Quarterback

17%
    Discipline
    (Total votes: 17,592)
  • Options

The defense did an excellent job stopping them in the end. Twice. But Orlando Scandrick had to flat out whiff on a tackle and get called for a penalty. Two 3rd downs, two blown chances by one guy. What more could the other ten guys do when you have a mental breakdown by the 4th team corner..

If they get the ball back with a couple minutes, they win the majority of the time since Romo excels in the fourth quarter. Here's an excerpt from an article written in the beginning of the year:

Since 2006 no quarterback -- not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, has a better fourth-quarter passer rating than Romo (100.0). Only Brees (39) and Philip Rivers (39) have more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Romo's 34. Only Brees (5,905), Manning (4,886) and Rivers (4,751) have more fourth-quarter yards than Romo's 4,712. Romo has thrown 17 fourth-quarter interceptions, which is fewer than Brees (25), Brett Favre (25), Eli Manning (27), Jay Cutler (22) and Ben Roethlisberger (22) among others. Brady has just 11. Peyton Manning has 13.

ESPN poll(from today) for those that think Romo is the problem:

Where are the Cowboys in most need of change?

42%
    General manager

34%
    Head coach/offensive coordinator

7%
    Quarterback

17%
    Discipline
    (Total votes: 17,592)

The problem is that Romo's numbers are very deceiving. He's great at moving the team around between the 20's, but that's about it. I'm not saying he CAN'T score, but how many of them were when it mattered? He's a stat padder. His win/loss percentage is .588 and a 1-3 playoff record. I know he's just one man on a team, but I'm just using that to point to why his individual stats are not always meaningful.

Just look at the record Witten broke last night. And by the way, congrats to him, and it is a nice achievement. But to me that record is pretty conspicuous when it comes to the Cowboys offense. Yes, Witten now has more receptions than Michael Irvin, but in the same amount of receptions Irvin had almost 3000 more yards and 23 more touchdowns. I don't mean to say that Witten is the problem. And yes he's a TE, so I get that as well. It's like lukin2006 was saying, if their offense translated into actual points it would be one thing, but it doesn't.

By the way, I voted in that poll too. I chose GM as well. Doesn't mean I think Romo isn't a problem though, or that those people don't. I think Romo is a symptom of the Jones problem. Choosing Jerry was kind of a no-brainer. All of the other options fall under the umbrella of Jerry.

For the record, I don't really think Orton is your solution either. I disagree with lukin in that respect. But I don't think Romo is taking you guys to the promised land with his vanity stats. Look at last night. Those 3 un-defended short yardage passes on that last drive, which accomplished nothing, add to his "best 4th quarter QB" legend, as long as all you're looking at is completion percentage and what-not, and especially not looking at the scoreboard. To say he excels in the 4th quarter is a little misleading. Those stats are not weighted to take into account what was going on in the 4th. Were they blowing a team out, were they being blown out, was it a close game and Tony's play actually meant something? Were they playing a team that had already made the playoffs and starting their second string? That's happened before. And one of the things I've always disliked about Romo was that season he broke his collarbone and was out for the season. And then suddenly when Philly came to town with their second string team Tony dressed out and was telling reporters he was ready. Though as badly as he wanted to play he wasn't allowed. It seemed to me Tony just wanted to pad his stats, the Cowboys were already out of the playoffs.

One could argue that Romo's 5 INT last week actually led to them losing 2 games. After something like that it is difficult for a coach to have a lot of confidence.

I'm not going to say bench him. I'll leave that type of discussion to you fans. I only spend so much time talking Cowboys because I live in Dallas, and like it or not they're part of my life. I can't get away from them, and I have a few opinions on them as a football fan in general. If you're happy with Romo, then good for you. He's your QB after all.
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    And one of the things I've always disliked about Romo was that season he broke his collarbone and was out for the season. And then suddenly when Philly came to town with their second string team Tony dressed out and was telling reporters he was ready. Though as badly as he wanted to play he wasn't allowed. It seemed to me Tony just wanted to pad his stats, the Cowboys were already out of the playoffs.

Why so cynical? All the time? About everything? Do you really think Romo wanted to pad stats in that game? C'mon man. That's the biggest piece of shit I've read about Romo in a long time. You know why he wanted to get in that game? Because he's a competitor. I've talked to some of his friends from WI on occasions and the stories they tell about his competitive nature are intense. Not to mention, he's a genuine guy. Not a stat padder..

Jason Garrett needs to let Romo loose and run the no huddle offense earlier in games for this team to make the playoffs. And when D Murray comes back, they will start winning some ball games with a wide open offense since Murray excels as a receiver as well.
  • Options
    And one of the things I've always disliked about Romo was that season he broke his collarbone and was out for the season. And then suddenly when Philly came to town with their second string team Tony dressed out and was telling reporters he was ready. Though as badly as he wanted to play he wasn't allowed. It seemed to me Tony just wanted to pad his stats, the Cowboys were already out of the playoffs.

Why so cynical? All the time? About everything? Do you really think Romo wanted to pad stats in that game? C'mon man. That's the biggest piece of shit I've read about Romo in a long time. You know why he wanted to get in that game? Because he's a competitor. I've talked to some of his friends from WI on occasions and the stories they tell about his competitive nature are intense. Not to mention, he's a genuine guy. Not a stat padder..

Jason Garrett needs to let Romo loose and run the no huddle offense earlier in games for this team to make the playoffs. And when D Murray comes back, they will start winning some ball games with a wide open offense since Murray excels as a receiver as well.

Maybe it is overly cynical, but the series of events seemed strange to me. And I was careful about saying "it seemed to me" and not stating it as a fact or something. First of all, and this is also not backed up by any facts, but I specifically remember thinking that after the Giants game where he broke his collarbone, he acted relieved. He seemed happy. Maybe they had him shot up with drugs or something, but I came away feeling like he was happy to be getting off the hook for what was already looking like a lost season. Like I said, maybe he was high on morphine, but that press conference really stuck in my mind. Then, Romo was going to be out for the entire season. Understandable, it was a bad injury. Then Philly has the playoffs locked and say they're putting in a bunch of backups, and suddenly Tony has his jersey on, throwing the ball in warmups, saying he's totally fine. All of those things were what gave me that impression. One could say that a competitor would be thinking about the next season, and making a full recovery and not worried about winning a meaningless game. Just depends on whether or not that person is looking at the big picture or the small one.
  • Options
    Personally I'm ready to see what Orton can do...but that's my opinion...Romo 13 interceptions after 8 games (terrible), and far too many drives stall out inside the 20. That no huddle drive didn't convince me of anything...often times defenses sit back and try not too give up the quick score...didn't work in Atlanta's case.

Atlanta's last drive was disappointing...from the Cowboys perspective.

Why was Scandrick lined up against White...isn't he one of the falcons top receiver.

To me this team is what it is...improved defensively...but offensively just terrible...QB throws too many picks, WR drop too many passes, they don't run the ball well, the O line has gotten better still too many penalties...how can anyone be optimistic about that?

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    We were at the game in Atlanta Sunday night....disappointed by the score, but was glad to see lots and lots of Cowboys' fans at the game. That fact appeared to make the Falcons' fans a bit bitchy. :twisted:

After watching them in person, I think that this team's problem is either a lack of discipline or a lack of smarts. It could even be the absence of a "clutch gene" among the whole bunch.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    We were at the game in Atlanta Sunday night....disappointed by the score, but was glad to see lots and lots of Cowboys' fans at the game. That fact appeared to make the Falcons' fans a bit bitchy. :twisted:

After watching them in person, I think that this team's problem is either a lack of discipline or a lack of smarts. It could even be the absence of a "clutch gene" among the whole bunch.

I noticed that watching the game. The crowd sounded like they were playing here.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Love em or hate em the Cowboys are an exciting team to watch!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Trophy Man, you didn't get the memo? You're Canadian so your opinions on football are apparently null and void.
    I just find it funny that someone who lives in a country that doesn't even have football is so critical of a qb that clearly isn't the problem. If hockey starts up, can you please not comment on a sport you don't know anything about? Thanks! :)
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    dougfloyd wrote:

ouch :lol:

just when i thought things could not be possibly worse than in philadelphia, i see this. thank you.

he will always be the general manager. HAHAHAHA
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

just when i thought things could not be possibly worse than in philadelphia, i see this. thank you.

Yeah, at least you can hope that Andy Reid will be gone soon :lol::lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

I never doubted he'd be GM for life :x , I was hoping he'd realize he was the problem, but that was just hope. He hangs onto those 3 SB's ... even though it had more to do with Jimmy.

• Options
    Jimmy Johnson just said on the Dan Patrick show that he thinks Jason Garrett is coaching for his job this weekend. Anybody else believing this? I don't think Jerry would do anything until after Thanksgiving at the earliest and I still think he'll keep Garrett. Here's to hoping that he doesn't though!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Jimmy Johnson just said on the Dan Patrick show that he thinks Jason Garrett is coaching for his job this weekend. Anybody else believing this? I don't think Jerry would do anything until after Thanksgiving at the earliest and I still think he'll keep Garrett. Here's to hoping that he doesn't though!

I don't think Garrett will be gone before this season is over, but I do think it is quite possibly his last.
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

I don't think Garrett will be gone before this season is over, but I do think it is quite possibly his last.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/11/07/jimmy-johnson-weighs-in-on-cowboys-coaching-situation/
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    how was the jimmy johnson football life episode? i dvr'd it.

hate the cowboys but that jimmy/jerry dynamic was great theatrics back in the day...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,944
    Team is just dreadful and noone is to blame but jerry. We all can blame romo, the headcoach/oc or whoever else, but the main problem has and always been jerry. Everyday that passes I wish Jerry would realize he is the problem. He needs to go out and throw money at Sean Payton and draft McCarron. Knowing Jerry he would go out and draft Klein considering he loves those southern "it" players :fp:.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/11/07/jimmy-johnson-weighs-in-on-cowboys-coaching-situation/

Not a fan of Garrett, bu tI think it would be a mistake to fire him mid-season. If I remember correctly the last guy got canned before the season was over and Garrett took over. This team needs to get their act together!
  • Options
    Everyday that passes I wish Jerry would realize he is the problem.

The sad thing is he does realize that, but he still refuses to give it up. He gave an interview this past week to Bob Costas in which he flat out said that if he were just owner, and somebody else had been doing the job at GM that he is, he would have fired him.

It's caused quite a stir. I think for years people felt Jones was just delusional or too arrogant to see what was really happening, now they know that he actually realizes how much he sucks, and refuses to step down because he's a stubborn control freak. He keeps saying "We're not structured that way", well then just restructure. It's not that hard, hire a GM, take a step back, and now you're structured that way. He acts like it's just impossible.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,944
    Everyday that passes I wish Jerry would realize he is the problem.

The sad thing is he does realize that, but he still refuses to give it up. He gave an interview this past week to Bob Costas in which he flat out said that if he were just owner, and somebody else had been doing the job at GM that he is, he would have fired him.

It's caused quite a stir. I think for years people felt Jones was just delusional or too arrogant to see what was really happening, now they know that he actually realizes how much he sucks, and refuses to step down because he's a stubborn control freak. He keeps saying "We're not structured that way", well then just restructure. It's not that hard, hire a GM, take a step back, and now you're structured that way. He acts like it's just impossible.
    i just don't get how someone can be that stubborn even though he gets he is the problem. it's just mind boggling as a fan.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Team is just dreadful and noone is to blame but jerry. We all can blame romo, the headcoach/oc or whoever else, but the main problem has and always been jerry. Everyday that passes I wish Jerry would realize he is the problem. He needs to go out and throw money at Sean Payton and draft McCarron. Knowing Jerry he would go out and draft Klein considering he loves those southern "it" players :fp:.

Spot on about Jerry. I'd like to see McCarron in a Cowboy uniform, then hire Sean Patton to work with him. Romo has to go though...to many drives of his end with field goals.

• Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

I think if they don't make the playoffs then Garrett's gone, especially then because he'll have a real good shot to hire Paton, and I think if he's available then Jerry will make a strong push to get him.

But this team has many issues...not just head coach
    Romo fails to finish drives
    receivers drop too many pass's (Austin dropped a 3rd down pass, might have been a touchdown)
    O line is inconsistent
    to many penalties
    and unfortunately last Sunday's night game the D failed to get the offence the ball back with any time left.

• Options
    Payton is coaching at a private school about a stones throw from me. I think he's O Coordinator or something like that, but I just heard today that they're already out of the playoffs. Which is weird, they usually have great teams, they poach kids from every school in the area for their teams and give them scholarships. Which is why I don't understand all the fallout over Deion Sanders' school, Liberty Christian has been doing the same thing for decades.