Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Is JJ or Stephen Jones running the draft? I have mad love for this draft, holy shit.

I think their in the room...but I think Jason Garrett has the final say...or at least he should...or why did he take the job? I think other teams would have hired him after inheriting a team not playing well to being really competive by the end of his first season. Last years draft was pretty good as well.
    agreed with last years draft but this draft just makes me go wow. Team addressed every need. I still woulda liked to see a Oline player added to the mix but those you can find those in free agency and during camp.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Is JJ or Stephen Jones running the draft? I have mad love for this draft, holy shit.

I think their in the room...but I think Jason Garrett has the final say...or at least he should...or why did he take the job? I think other teams would have hired him after inheriting a team not playing well to being really competive by the end of his first season. Last years draft was pretty good as well.
    agreed with last years draft but this draft just makes me go wow. Team addressed every need. I still woulda liked to see a Oline player added to the mix but those you can find those in free agency and during camp.

Agree about the offensive line...hopefully they address the centre position before the season.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Agree about the offensive line...hopefully they address the centre position before the season.
    I felt a center was gonna be drafted in the 7th round. Drafting a ILB with the last pick surprised me a bit.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I felt a center was gonna be drafted in the 7th round. Drafting a ILB with the last pick surprised me a bit.

Maybe they figure with a full offseason Costa will improve. How many times last year was Spencer and Ware just a fraction of second from bringing down the opposing QB only to have them complete a pass? We have to think with Carr and Claiborne the D line will now have that little extra time to get the QB or at least make him make an unwise pass.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    lukin2006 wrote:
    We have to think with Carr and Claiborne the D line will now have that little extra time to get the QB or at least make him make an unwise pass.

Yes, especially if Claiborne works out to be a shutdown cb. With two solid cb's, I think Rob Ryan can really get creative with his schemes. However, we can't expect the db's to cover receivers for more than 4 or 5 seconds after the ball is snapped.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I predict . The Cowboys will have a fun season. No playoffs.
    Just psychic crazy. :lol:

I'm just a Texan, and a gurl. I may have cheer leaded but, I know nothing of football. :mrgreen: Texas needs a win. but not this year with football and baseball.
  • Options
    1 more week until training camp!!!

Training Camp Schedule:

Monday, July 30th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Tuesday, July 31st 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Wednesday, August 1st 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Thursday, August 2nd No practice
    Friday, August 3rd 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Saturday, August 4th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Sunday, August 5th 2:30 p.m. – Blue-White Scrimmage
    Monday, August 6th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Tuesday, August 7th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Wednesday, August 8th No practice
    Thursday, August 9th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Friday, August 10th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Saturday, August 11th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Sunday, August 12th TBA – Walk-Thru
    Monday, August 13th
    No practice – Preseason Game – Dallas @ Oakland

Tuesday, August 14th No practice
    Wednesday, August 15th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Thursday, August 16th 2:30 p.m. – Practice
    Friday, August 17th TBA – Morning Walk-Thru
    Break Camp
  • Options
    Training camp is here. Pumped to start hearing more nfl news until the season opener!
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Jerry Jones "wants me some glory hole"

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/ ... Y8gu2Ic9oN

:lol:
  • Options
    Jerry Jones "wants me some glory hole"

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/ ... Y8gu2Ic9oN

:lol:
    :fp:

god i wish he would just hand the team over to his son already so this franchise can get a real owner whose committed to winning and not the spotlight. you'd never see this from kraft or ronney's or mara's and tisch or even al davis.

• Options
    Looks like we will get to see some of our young receivers in action tonight. Hopefully, we can get someone to step up and own the role of #3. Even though it's preseason, it is always exciting to watch some of the position battles in a game-like atmosphere.

On another note, it looks like Tyron Smith is transitioning nicely from RT to LT:

DeMarcus Ware: No one has blocked me like teammate Tyron Smith

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 13, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT

Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware says there’s only one offensive tackle in the league who can shut him down. Fortunately for the Cowboys, that happens in practice, not games.

Ware says Tyron Smith, the Cowboys’ 2011 first-round draft pick, has been making his life difficult in training camp, and has blocked him like no other NFL offensive lineman has.

“The crazy thing about Tyron is he’s the first guy that when you lock up with him, you can’t get off of him,” Ware said on KESN-FM, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s the first guy to ever do that to me. That shows the strength he has and how quick he is on the inside. He’s a very good, young aggressive tackle. When you try to beat him inside, you can’t. He’s just that athletic. Cowboys fans don’t have anything to worry about. He’s getting the job done and working hard.”

Smith started all 16 games at right tackle last year and has moved to left tackle this year, and he won’t have to protect Tony Romo from many better pass rushers than Ware, who was second in the NFL with 19.5 sacks last season. Ware says Smith will make the transition to left tackle smoothly.

“When you think about a tackle that’s coming from the right side to the left side, it’s a different speed change, but the athleticism of Tyron and how he can latch on to you if you try to overpower him or when you go around the corner, he uses his hands really well,” Ware said. “Him being that left young tackle is what we need. We need him over there being aggressive. I beat him every once in a while, but he’s been doing his job.”

If Smith can do his job well against Ware, he can do it well against anyone in the NFL.
  • Options
    I doubt this team is going anywhere, however, hope I'm wrong.

Romo puts up good numbers when it matters little, come December he just doesn't have it.

Des Bryant is just a headache

Miles Austin, the hamstring injuries are starting

The O line is average

The D should be improved, but if Ware goes down with injury then that unit is in huge trouble.

I say 7-9, maybe 8-8 and can see them finishing dead last in the division.

I do hope I'm wrong and they challenge for the division title, just not sure they will.

I really wish the quarterback position was an open competition between Romo and Orton and if Orton were to win it so be it, but thats not how the cowboys operate.

• Options
    Players to watch tonight:

Rookie DE Tyrone Crawford

LB Bruce Carter

S Barry Church

CD Brandon Carr(doesn't look like Mo Claiborne is playing tonight)

WR's battling for the #3 position

O line even though some of the starters aren't ready to go just yet because of injuries
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Romo puts up good numbers when it matters little, come December he just doesn't have it.

The O line is average

The D should be improved, but if Ware goes down with injury then that unit is in huge trouble.

I do hope I'm wrong and they challenge for the division title, just not sure they will.

I really wish the quarterback position was an open competition between Romo and Orton and if Orton were to win it so be it, but thats not how the cowboys operate.

I wish Romo would be cut already. Most overrated QB I've seen. Orton should be the starter. WR's will be a mess.I'd def bring in Burress or Chad Johnson. Defense is gonna be good this year.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

The O line is average

I wish Romo would be cut already. Most overrated QB I've seen. Orton should be the starter. WR's will be a mess.I'd def bring in Burress or Chad Johnson. Defense is gonna be good this year.

Disagree with your Romo comments as well as bringing in two old, criminal receivers. If you follow the cowboys at all, you'd know that they are changing their culture and don't have room for trouble. I think Andre Holmes is gonna be a stud at WR.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

The O line is average

Disagree with your Romo comments as well as bringing in two old, criminal receivers. If you follow the cowboys at all, you'd know that they are changing their culture and don't have room for trouble. I think Andre Holmes is gonna be a stud at WR.

Well I do follow the Cowboys and until Romo proves us wrong he doesn't win when it matters. I never said bring in Johnson or Burress. If the culture is changing why are they putting up with Bryant? They could have cut Bryant and signed Robinson...personally I like Robinson over both Austin and Bryant.

The O line looks a mess, especially the center position...if they don't fix the interior of the O line they will not be able to run the ball.

• Options
    Cut Bryant? For what? Because he has a fucked up family? C'mon now.

You can't blame everything on romo. He's not the reason they missed the playoffs last year. He had his best year as a Cowboy! lol

And yes, the o line has some injuries and will be fine come sept. Callahan will have a good group out there.

Fair weather fans need not apply here and I'm not singling you out, lukin.
  • Options

You can't blame everything on romo. He's not the reason they missed the playoffs last year. He had his best year as a Cowboy! lol

And yes, the o line has some injuries and will be fine come sept. Callahan will have a good group out there.

i'm nor a fair weather fan...just realistic...i've stated in the past that this team under Jones will never win a super bowl again.

Bryant is not just one instance...its a series of instances. How do you let your most productive wide receiver last season walk?

Romo had good stats...probably better than Eli Manning but Eli wins when it matters. Romo could finish his career with better stats than Aikman and Staubach but they won when it mattered.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

i'm nor a fair weather fan...just realistic...i've stated in the past that this team under Jones will never win a super bowl again.

Bryant is not just one instance...its a series of instances. How do you let your most productive wide receiver last season walk?

Romo had good stats...probably better than Eli Manning but Eli wins when it matters. Romo could finish his career with better stats than Aikman and Staubach but they won when it mattered.

Bryant is walking a fine line now, that's for sure. I HATED letting Robinson go last year, especially after the breakout year that he had.

I still think Romo has it in him to win a superbowl for the Cowboys. He is on the right track and becoming more of a leader for this team. The good thing is that he still has 4 or 5 good years left to prove his doubters wrong. He is super competitive and I don't think he wants to go out as someone who couldn't finish.

I didn't mean you were a fair weather fan. It's the guys that don't comment or say anything until the Boys are winning.

Austin and the O line get healthy and this team will compete for the division. The D should be exciting to watch this year provided they don't make dumb mistakes. They forced the Raiders to punt three times on 1 drive last night. Three times! They need to stop making mental mistakes and they will be fine. I'm sure Rob Ryan will get that unit firing on all cylinders.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Bryant is walking a fine line now, that's for sure. I HATED letting Robinson go last year, especially after the breakout year that he had.

I still think Romo has it in him to win a superbowl for the Cowboys. He is on the right track and becoming more of a leader for this team. The good thing is that he still has 4 or 5 good years left to prove his doubters wrong. He is super competitive and I don't think he wants to go out as someone who couldn't finish.

I didn't mean you were a fair weather fan. It's the guys that don't comment or say anything until the Boys are winning.

Austin and the O line get healthy and this team will compete for the division. The D should be exciting to watch this year provided they don't make dumb mistakes. They forced the Raiders to punt three times on 1 drive last night. Three times! They need to stop making mental mistakes and they will be fine. I'm sure Rob Ryan will get that unit firing on all cylinders.

I agree the D will be better...how much is the question? If they are considerably improved, then yes as a team they might be OK.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

The O line is average

When has Romo ever won a big game, tell me??? Also if the coach really trusted Romo, do you think he'd call 3 straight running plays when it mattered the most, umm no. If this team truly believed in Romo, why bring in a QB that can still play?? Why not give the back up job to some veteran QB like a Kitna or McGee?? Yea the culture is changing so much you got a scumbag who beats up his mothers. A lot mature than being caught for a DWI or bringing a gun to a nightclub. The only reason why Bryant is on this team is cause Austin can't stay healthy and the WR core sucks. Also bringing in someone like a Burress or Chad Johnson won't cost this franchise a dime. Holmes will def be a stud, but will this franchise let him go like they did with Robinson?? Granted Robinson was overpaid, still woulda been nice to keep him.

• Options

When has Romo ever won a big game, tell me??? Also if the coach really trusted Romo, do you think he'd call 3 straight running plays when it mattered the most, umm no. If this team truly believed in Romo, why bring in a QB that can still play?? Why not give the back up job to some veteran QB like a Kitna or McGee?? Yea the culture is changing so much you got a scumbag who beats up his mothers. A lot mature than being caught for a DWI or bringing a gun to a nightclub. The only reason why Bryant is on this team is cause Austin can't stay healthy and the WR core sucks. Also bringing in someone like a Burress or Chad Johnson won't cost this franchise a dime. Holmes will def be a stud, but will this franchise let him go like they did with Robinson?? Granted Robinson was overpaid, still woulda been nice to keep him.

Let's bring in C. Johnson since he only hit his wife and not his mother!? :lol: Cmon dude..
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    America blows at times. Thanks guys

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/i ... wsuit-team
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Wow! People like that make me sick. Maybe I should sue Ford since the black leather in my truck gets too hot sometimes :fp:
  • Options
    The Defense is looking good so far. Offense made some strides against SD and Beasley/Ogletree stepped up at wr. However, this play was exciting even though Bryant's toe touched the line:

640196596.gif?key=532354&Expires=1345363286&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=eHT2YsrwKBxzQ1vwKk~2zuTTIihFrmRyMpNSRpmsHB58gUJt-Up5PiMJ49DLmnPBo8BbW23I2YMAcBhMwuCBSflIUz23uGN1JQEVdLbh3nTU37rfiWf1YxZbLaeekfgtien75~fFYBzALecb3-Rfl7mg~DYGlkFJzpEEC99qUk0_
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    I still think they should win the division this year if they play up to their potential, no injuries, etc. Opening game at the Giants will be a big one!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    It looks like this Cowboys team is coming together nicely. Even though it was against the Rams, Romo was in mid season form without Austin, Bryant or Witten. 198 yards passing in the 1st quarter!

Excited about this season since I think the Boys have a team in place that can make a deep run in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Cowboys set rules for Dez Bryant

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant has agreed to strict guidelines from team officials regarding his conduct away from the field.

The guidelines Bryant agreed to took effect Aug. 23 when the team returned to Dallas after three weeks of training camp in California, according to sources.

Sources say some of the rules Bryant must abide are as follows:

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed.
    Blog » ESPN Dallas »
    Top 50 Cowboys Photo Gallery

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Bryant's adviser, David Wells, will hire the security team for the wide receiver.

"Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team," Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said of Bryant. "He's very open-minded and cooperative. He's doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him."

The rules stem from a July 14 incident where Bryant was charged with allegedly assaulting his mother, Angela Bryant. Bryant was charged with a Class A misdemeanor by the DeSoto Police Department.

The Dallas County district attorney's office hasn't decided if it will pursue charges.

On July 25, Bryant's attorney, Texas state senator Royce West, said at a news conference the receiver didn't commit any violence against his mother.

A spokeswoman for the Dallas district attorney's office said it's still reviewing the case and it's treating it like any other domestic violence complaint. Bryant's mother filed an affidavit of non-prosecution from the complaint. The affidavit means the complainant, Angela Bryant, doesn't want the case to proceed.

"They ask that there not be a rush to judgement concerning their family," West said July 25. "They also ask for your continued prayers and support for their family as they work through this matter."

Police issued the arrest warrant for Bryant after he allegedly hit his mother in the face with a baseball cap. The police affidavit said Bryant grabbed his mother by her T-shirt, causing her bra to tear.

According to the DeSoto Police Department, Bryant is charged with a Class A misdemeanor for assaulting a female family member and after he turned himself in, was released a few hours later without talking with police.

Bryant, who hasn't been made available to reporters during training camp, is out because of a knee injury, though he's expected to be ready for the regular season opener on Sept. 5.

The Cowboys have a history of dealing with troubled players, most recently cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones and nose tackle Tank Johnson. However, Adam Jones got into a fight with one of his team-issued body guards and eventually was suspended by the league. When he returned, he didn't have any further incidents as a member of the Cowboys.

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys have placed restrictions on other players previously and when asked if this is the strictest of rules for a player he said, "No this is (not) the strictest at all."

So far this preseason, coach Jason Garrett said Bryant has been outstanding in practices, and there have been no issues regarding him being late to meetings, practices or games. Bryant did switch agents, leaving Drew Rosenhaus and returning to Eugene Parker.

Kind of ridiculous that you have to do this for a grown man...if he can't conduct himself properly their better off without him.

• Options
    Great article...1 week this Wednesday and the Boys get to kick the 'Ginas asses :D

Brandon Carr hoping Morris Claiborne has more in common with Brandon Flowers than just a jersey number

ARLINGTON – Brandon Carr admitted Saturday night that after the Cowboys drafted Morris Claiborne in April, Carr immediately began thinking about his four years in Kansas City and the cornerback he lined up across from during that time.

Brandon Flowers was the player on Carr’s mind. Flowers and Carr were one of the best cornerback tandems in the league last year, helping Kansas City possess the league’s sixth-best pass defense, allowing 201.3 yards per game.

When the Cowboys presented Claiborne with a No. 24 jersey, Carr thought it might be a good sign considering Flowers wore the same number.

“When he got No. 24 I said, ‘Oh, I played with another No. 24 that was a really good player,’” Carr recalled. “I said, ‘Man, if you can come bring that same game to this type of defense, then this should be a fun, fun year.’

“It’s going to be fun.”

Flowers, a second-round pick out of Virginia Tech in 2008, was given a five-year, $50 million contract extension by the Chiefs in September. That move meant Kansas City would probably not have the money to re-sign Carr, the corner the Chiefs chose in the fifth round in 2008.

Carr got almost an identical contract from the Cowboys and throughout organized team activities, mini-camp and training camp has appeared to be worth the investment. Intercepting Philip Rivers twice on Aug. 18 showcased an example of what the Cowboys saw in Carr when they made him their top priority in free agency.

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in 2010, didn’t challenge Carr often Saturday night. Instead, he focused on Claiborne, the rookie corner still trying to get his feet wet. From playing with Flowers, who has 13 career interceptions, Carr understands some games he’s going to be challenged more than others.

“I just have to be ready every play because there may be those times where you only get one or two plays a game that you have to make the play,” Carr said. “You have to be ready. You can’t fall asleep out there. That’s going to be my mentality.

“I got a feeling on the other side he’s going to start locking things down. And then they’re going to have to start coming back to my side.”

Claiborne, who stands two inches taller than Flowers, responded well to the St. Louis game plan. After getting beat for a 14-yard gain on St. Louis’ first offensive play, Claiborne buckled down and seemed to improve as the game went on.

The former LSU standout’s final challenge from Bradford came on fourth-and-goal from the Cowboys’ five-yard line late in the first half. Claiborne responded by staying with Rams receiver Steve Smith as he broke to the inside and sprinted across the middle of the end zone. Bradford made the throw but Claiborne was in position to dive and deflect the pass.

“He’s a guy that’s gotten better every day,” Cowboys inside linebacker Sean Lee said of Claiborne. “He’s really put the work in, had the sense of urgency to get better. You see him getting better and that’s encouraging. I think it’s just a matter of time before he’s going to be a really, really good player.”

Claiborne missed all of rookie mini-camp, OTAs and mini-camp because of a surgically repaired left wrist. He was then out for several days of training camp after spraining the MCL in his left knee, an injury that prevented him from playing in the preseason opener.

But after his showing against St. Louis, Claiborne’s teammates and Cowboys coach Jason Garrett seem impressed with the 22-year-old’s improvement.

“He seems comfortable out there,” Garrett said. “He seems like he’s getting more confident.”

“I think he’s transitioning really well,” Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “Coming in, being a younger guy with a lot on his shoulders, he’s taken on that role really well.”

Ware, who is recovering from a strained hamstring, didn’t play Saturday night. But even without arguably the NFL’s to pass rusher, the Cowboys recorded a preseason-high four sacks, a total that was aided by the coverage in the defensive backfield.

According to a couple of first team defenders, the coverage in the secondary is making a noticeable difference.

“I notice them everyday,” Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer said. “I tell them that I appreciate them every time I get a chance to.”

“It felt totally different from last year,” Cowboys defensive end Jason Hatcher said. “You get to the quarterback and you can [usually] kind of see him getting ready to throw it. But tonight, he was just panicking. It was a very, very unique deal. Those guys are all doing a great job back there. I hope they keep it up.”

The Cowboys ranked 23rd in pass defense in 2011 and 26th in 2010, a drastic change from some of the Cowboys teams in the 1990s. From 1992-1997 the Cowboys were ranked in the top 10 in pass defense every season and held the top spot in 1994 and 1997.

One of the most significant contributors to the Cowboys secondary during those years was safety Darren Woodson.

The five-time Pro Bowl selection attended practice Thursday at Cowboys Stadium and said he believed the Cowboys pass defense would be much improved. Woodson spoke highly of the Cowboys starting safeties and the importance of adding Carr and Claiborne.

“They can be a much better secondary than what they were last year,” Woodson said. “Last year it wasn’t so much on the athleticism that cost them, I think it was more on the mental side, mental mistakes of giving up big plays in the fourth quarter. I think they’re more mature in what they’re doing.”

Woodson said Carr’s ability to be physical, yet possess the instincts to make a play on the ball, which he showed against the Chargers, is rare among defensive backs, and he sees similarities of that in Claiborne.

He added: “I think Claiborne’s going to learn from one of the better corners in the league in Brandon Carr.”
  • Options
    Ratliff ruled out. Witten will probably be a game time decision.

Cowboys, 31-20