Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    davidtrios wrote:
    big statement win on the road. it's gotta feel good beating the champs on their turf.

It does for 2 reasons...1. the way the giants beat them twice last year...especially blowing a 12 point lead at home with 5 minutes left.
    2. the cap penalties that were levied against the Cowboys from a committee led by the giants owner. Is that not a conflict of interest? What kind of league lets one of your biggest competitor lead a committee investigating you :fp: :fp:?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Well that went about the way I thought. Maybe not the outcome but I knew that defense would be a lot better and they were. The OL struggled but they have to improve over the course of the season. Romo cannot be expected to play at the top of his game every game like that.

What a difference Murray makes!!

I know it isn't last year anymore but I just think the Giants are not that great. They got a lot of lucky breaks and got hot at the end after going 9-7 and barely getting in thanks to a dropped pass by Austin.

If the Cowboys don't blow all those big leads last year then who knows what would have happened.

I know what will happen this year though: they will not be blowing those leads.

Impressive road win. Little bit of Super Bowl Hangover on the part of the Giants but still impressive.

One more takeaway: Last year's Jason Garrett would have called a running play on 3rd down at the end of the game. This year's Jason Garrett trusted his QB to make a play and he did. End of game.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Well that went about the way I thought. Maybe not the outcome but I knew that defense would be a lot better and they were. The OL struggled but they have to improve over the course of the season. Romo cannot be expected to play at the top of his game every game like that.

I know it isn't last year anymore but I just think the Giants are not that great. They got a lot of lucky breaks and got hot at the end after going 9-7 and barely getting in thanks to a dropped pass by Austin.

If the Cowboys don't blow all those big leads last year then who knows what would have happened.

Impressive road win. Little bit of Super Bowl Hangover on the part of the Giants but still impressive.

One more takeaway: Last year's Jason Garrett would have called a running play on 3rd down at the end of the game. This year's Jason Garrett trusted his QB to make a play and he did. End of game.

I also thought Jason called a good game...after one game he even looks improved :D. Only call I really questioned was the handoff to Vickers on 3rd and 1.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I also thought Jason called a good game...after one game he even looks improved :D. Only call I really questioned was the handoff to Vickers on 3rd and 1.

Yeah, that was terrible. Seriously?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Flagg wrote:

Exactly! I thought for sure he was going to run it 3 times and punt it.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,671
    lukin2006 wrote:

Now 10 days off till we get Seattle. Starting 2-0 on the road sure would be special and could really go along ways toward the playoffs.

seattle can be a tough place.

that said, fuck pete carroll.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Now 10 days off till we get Seattle. Starting 2-0 on the road sure would be special and could really go along ways toward the playoffs.

seattle can be a tough place.

that said, fuck pete carroll.

I agree...well i was hoping for a 1-1 start, now i'm hoping for 2-0.

No love for Pete Carrol I see.

• Options
    Giants blaming refs for the loss? I didn't think the replacement refs were all that bad. The normal refs wouldn't have helped the Giants lack of a pass rush last night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pass-rush/
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    423633_2378997811459_466364372_n.jpg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Good win. But a million things to work on. Happy to get it but the coaching staff needs to get all over these guys.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:
    Good win. But a million things to work on. Happy to get it but the coaching staff needs to get all over these guys.

Yes very good win
    The D was much improved and should get better as the season goes on, the D looks faster and was doing an excellent job tackling.
    The one area that needs to get better is the O line, I'm hoping they'll get better since they haven't played together.
    Of course cutting down the penalties will help considerably.
    Your right definitely some things to improve on.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

When they came back from commercial did anyone notice the dude behind Jerry cleaning Jerry's glasses :lol:

Jerry clean your own glasses :lol:.

Looks like Jerry found a way to help out a charity with this...

I can see clearly now: Cowboys sell Jerry Wipes for charity

Jerry Jones is seen receiving his glasses during last week's NBC broadcast of the Cowboys-Giants game. (NBC)

What many saw as an odd, silly moment, the Cowboys saw as an opportunity to make money for charity.

Remember the Cowboys opener when the national TV cameras caught Shy Anderson, the son-in-law of Jerry Jones, cleaning the owner’s glasses? Well, for a mere $2.99, you can now go the Cowboys website and purchase Jerry Wipes or Cowboys Wipes to clean your glasses or the glasses of someone you love.

All proceeds go to the Salvation Army’s back to school initiative that provides eye screening for children.

“People can make fun of it however they want to, as long as they buy it,’’ said Anderson, who works on the club’s accounts with Papa Johns and Dunkin’ Donuts.

“It was never turn this around quickly and do something with this. It was like, ‘why is everyone paying so much attention to this’ at first. Then, of course, we joked internally that Jerry would call at 5:30 in the morning and say, ‘go get me a sponsor for this eye glass cleaning.’’’

Jones was trying to see where tight end Jason Witten had lined up in the team’s opener against the New York Giants. Anderson noticed that his father-in-laws glasses, which had been held in Jones’ hands all day during a series of meetings, were severely smudged. He took the glasses, wiped them off with a handkerchief and put them back in Jones’ hands.

The scene went viral. Anderson was at lunch Tuesday when a man he didn’t know walked up to him, removed his glasses and cleared his throat. The husband of Charlotte, the club’s vice president of brand management, cleaned the glasses and handed them back.

Anderson believes his services may be required in the owner’s suite during games a bit longer.

“When I cleaned them, that was the moment it started turning around,’’Anderson said. “We scored a TD. The momentum began to shift. Everything started smoking. Now we’re looking at that and thinking is that our good luck charm?

“Some of them, I’m not saying who it is, are very superstitious. I wouldn’t doubt if they are going to have me sit around and clean his glasses the next few ballgames.’’
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Need them to win by 7 this week
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Starting to really like Rob Ryan...

A quieter Rob Ryan?: Cowboys DC says he doesn’t need “to be a distraction for this football team."

IRVING — These days, Rob Ryan isn’t just dropping pounds. He’s also losing bravado.

In his first season as the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator last year, Ryan always seemed to have something to say. He never backed down regardless of the subject.

This year, Ryan hasn’t been so talkative or boastful. He said he’s only talking to the media once a week now, and that it was his idea to pull back.

“I’m just trying to do the right thing,” Ryan said. “I don’t think I need to be a distraction for this football team. There is a way the Dallas Cowboys do things, and I think that’s a professional way to do it. I don’t need to be outspoken out there. I’m going to let our players do our talking. It’s time to quit talking and start doing something. That’s what we all buy into as a defense. That’s what I buy into and that’s what we’re all believing in.”
  • Options
    I'm so aggravated. My local Fox affiliate isn't even showing a 4PM game today. Do they really think reruns of Cops is going to get better ratings than football? I like it better when I can watch my Cowboys at home. :fp:
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:
    I'm so aggravated. My local Fox affiliate isn't even showing a 4PM game today. Do they really think reruns of Cops is going to get better ratings than football? I like it better when I can watch my Cowboys at home. :fp:

That is why I get the ticket every year. Even though it is only good for 3-4 games that aren't on local tv. I'm only 5.5 hours from Boston if you want to make a road trip out of it :D

As far as the Seahawks, I think this is a huge game for the boys. Coming off a tough road win in ny, it will be interesting to see how they follow that up. Containing Lynch is the priority but I am curious to see what mike Jenkins looks like and how they use him. No Ratliff again but I think Brent and Lissemore are doing a good job in his absence. Hopefully, romo will get the boys off to a good start and keep the pedal to the metal.

Cowboys, 34-16 ;)
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:

That is why I get the ticket every year. Even though it is only good for 3-4 games that aren't on local tv. I'm only 5.5 hours from Boston if you want to make a road trip out of it :D

As far as the Seahawks, I think this is a huge game for the boys. Coming off a tough road win in ny, it will be interesting to see how they follow that up. Containing Lynch is the priority but I am curious to see what mike Jenkins looks like and how they use him. No Ratliff again but I think Brent and Lissemore are doing a good job in his absence. Hopefully, romo will get the boys off to a good start and keep the pedal to the metal.

Cowboys, 34-16 ;)

Unfortunately I can't get the ticket in my apartment - it stinks. To the sports bar I'll have to go.
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:

Cowboys, 34-16 ;)

A 2-0 start both road wins would huge for this team. As for Ratliff, if thry're 2-0 maybe he'll be more effective at the end of the season.

I think Jenkins brings nice depth to the secondary and some insurance. It'll be interesting to see how much Rob Ryan decides to blitz the rookie QB.

Should be a good game.

GO COWBOYS GO

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Can we just go ahead and cut Felix Jones already? Get him off the field!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Can we just go ahead and cut Felix Jones already? Get him off the field!

I know...

• Options
    Not the start we wanted. See I think people tend to forget, this team is still fundamentally the same as last years team with the exception of a few upgrades on defence.

Impressions of the first half

Terrible
    Lucky to be in this one
    Bryant doesn't strike me as the type of receiver we can count on. Wish we'd kept Robinson and released this guy.
    This O line sucks. When will they realize until they get a decent line this team is going no where.
    They need to clean up the mistakes and should win this one.

• Options
    Apparently, Jay Ratliff is missed more than we thought. Horrible run defense and just downright horrible all together. The cowboys love finding ways to play down to an opponent...
  • Options
    Apparently, Jay Ratliff is missed more than we thought. Horrible run defense and just downright horrible all together. The cowboys love finding ways to play down to an opponent...

Nope...they didn't play down to their opponent. This team is who I thought they were...a non playoff team. They suck you in by playing well against the giants and then with 10 days to prepare they play like this.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Nope...they didn't play down to their opponent. This team is who I thought they were...a non playoff team. They suck you in by playing well against the giants and then with 10 days to prepare they play like this.

Yeah, they always seem to suck you in. But...it's only 1 game and there is plenty of football left to be played. I just hope they establish themselves as a good team or a shitty team and quit toying with our emotions. They really layed an egg in Seattle today, that's for sure.

As much as I like to remain positive, sometimes it's hard to when they stink this bad after a big win in ny...
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah, they always seem to suck you in. But...it's only 1 game and there is plenty of football left to be played. I just hope they establish themselves as a good team or a shitty team and quit toying with our emotions. They really layed an egg in Seattle today, that's for sure.

As much as I like to remain positive, sometimes it's hard to when they stink this bad after a big win in ny...

The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl as long as the Jones family owns this team. Heck I read this week that Jones wants to open up contract talks with Romo...why? Wait till season ends...if they made the playoffs and some noise in the playoffs, then maybe! If not, cut him and go with Orton and draft a quarterback for the future...and at the same time start drafting offensive and defensive lineman.

But the one thing that really bugs me about how this team is run is for some reason they think guys should play just because they are high draft picks. Jones shouldn't be playing, that punk Bryant should have been cut and Robinson signed.

And that offensive line is completely pathetic.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl as long as the Jones family owns this team. Heck I read this week that Jones wants to open up contract talks with Romo...why? Wait till season ends...if they made the playoffs and some noise in the playoffs, then maybe! If not, cut him and go with Orton and draft a quarterback for the future...and at the same time start drafting offensive and defensive lineman.

But the one thing that really bugs me about how this team is run is for some reason they think guys should play just because they are high draft picks. Jones shouldn't be playing, that punk Bryant should have been cut and Robinson signed.

Jones is more of a "I want it RIGHT NOW" type, and not much of a "building for the future" type of guy. In the past couple of years Jones has seemed to me to be getting very antsy, as he should be. Dallas is far removed from any real success, and the further in the past those 90's rings get, I think the more Jones struggles to pretend the Cowboys are still relevant. I'm not saying they're irrelevant, but not as relevant as Jones would like them to be. I'm sure Jerry loses sleep at night over the fact that Dallas is wore well known for December collapses than for any success.

As for today's game, I unfortunately slept through it so I can't opine on what exactly their problem is. Other than the same problems that have plagued them the past few years, which from what I read still hold pretty true. And of course the most glaring problem, Jerry Jones. After that Papa Johns commercial I'm starting to think he should retire from football and start a rap career.

jerry_jones.JPG

DJ Jazzy Jerry
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    #beatdown.....truly awful game, 180 degrees from week #1.....What have they done with the real Jason Witten?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    #beatdown.....truly awful game, 180 degrees from week #1.....What have they done with the real Jason Witten?

I'm not one to make excuses, especially for Cowboys players, but he just came back from an injury. I'm not sure how hard a spleen injury is to bounce back from, but it doesn't sound fun, and he was a surprising game-time decision to play against the Giants. He only had 2 catches for 10 yards in that game, so it's not like he came back from the injury and lit the world on fire and then had a bad game. I think he's still just recovering. If I were you I wouldn't be worried.... at least not about Witten.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

I think Jason Wittens a great player...most likely going to the hall of fame. I however think he slipped a little bit last year...and that should be no surprise...he been tough player, willing to go get the ball and take the big hit and that takes a toll on your body after a while.

Whats frustrating is seeing Bennett have success in NY, just further proves that Romo get locked into certain players and does not give some of these other guys the shot they deserve.

This team is really just average...and if Jones gives Romo a 5 year extension then they continue to be average.

They need to cut Romo after this year, draft a young QB, start drafting O lineman and D lineman and let them young guys grow together.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Jones is more of a "I want it RIGHT NOW" type, and not much of a "building for the future" type of guy.

Exactly...except by hiring the right personnel it shouldn't take that long...look at what Harbaugh has done in San Francisco, Sean Patton, etc.. The problem is Jones thinks he built that 90's team and can do it again, but he didn't build the 90's team...Jimmy Johnstone did. Jones is not a football GM. As an owner he's good, maybe one of the best.

The only way Jones will ever get it is when he starts to show up for home games and the stadium is half full...other than that forget it.