Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

I still believe that Romo will gow down as a better qb than Eli when it's all said and done.

That's hilarious.

Come see me in five years....Or a year or two when your city is hatin on Eli again when breaks don't go your way ;)

Eli puts together 1 great season and he is better than Brady or Peyton? That's hilarious. :lol:

I think Eli has earned himself a lifetime pass with two superbowl MVPs

I didn't say he was better than Brady or Peyton, just Romo
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    the way football is played today is in IF's and played out in a sample of one, then we make broad based claims about how good or bad, clutch or unclutch a player is based on their performance in one part of a play in one game - it's absolutely stupid. eli made a nice pass to manningham to be sure, but only after jarrod mayo overran an easy pick 6, and a pat cb dropped a pick 6 on an out, and two fumbles bounced the right way. without all those things eli never is in that position in that moment to make that pass. however, he's got the ball bouncing his way right now, the way the ball bounced right for brady a few years ago - but seemingly not anymore. that isn't to say that eli is bad or horrible, in fact, he's pretty damn good and he has made the play when he's had to in two big moments - but to use that as a reason for why he's "so clutch" is too simplistic and yet a major part of sport coverage.
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Until he loses one. That's why sports is like sales. What have you done for me lately? Look at how Brady was treated after losing this game when he played outstanding.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Romo is not the problem on this team...the last few years every time he took the field he knew he could be under siege because of poor line play, plus he doesn't have the D to hold leads late in the game. This last season the line was bad and he really only had 1 reliable receiver and he wasn't even on the roster opening day...

As for Eli he was the MVP of the mediocre bowl, neither of those teams deserved to be there...imo. This years playoff was marred by mediocre play...close scores don't make a great game...great play with limited mistakes make a great game...imo, in the mediocre bowl I don't think 1 pass play was completed over 40 yards and these are 2 teams with average secondaries and calling NE average is probably a complement.

Sorry when 12-4 teams have to travel to play 8-8 teams and so on, then the NFL playoff system is messed, it needs to be fixed.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    This talk about how the Giants don't deserve to be there is so dumb. I have seen it in a few places. Everyone bitches that colleges teams don't have a shot and want the team with a couple losses to get a shot at the title but when an NFL underdog makes a run, it's not right? How about Butler in the NCAA tourney? Do they not deserve to be where they were the last two years? Any team that makes the playoffs and beats the 15-1 packers and 13-3 niners on the road in the playoffs deserves to be in the bowl.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    the way football is played today is in IF's and played out in a sample of one, then we make broad based claims about how good or bad, clutch or unclutch a player is based on their performance in one part of a play in one game - it's absolutely stupid. eli made a nice pass to manningham to be sure, but only after jarrod mayo overran an easy pick 6, and a pat cb dropped a pick 6 on an out, and two fumbles bounced the right way. without all those things eli never is in that position in that moment to make that pass. however, he's got the ball bouncing his way right now, the way the ball bounced right for brady a few years ago - but seemingly not anymore. that isn't to say that eli is bad or horrible, in fact, he's pretty damn good and he has made the play when he's had to in two big moments - but to use that as a reason for why he's "so clutch" is too simplistic and yet a major part of sport coverage.

Alright, but is Terry Brandshaw a worse QB because if Franco Harris didn't make that play things would have turned out differently? As you say, that's football. Eli is a two time superbowl MVP and beat one of the most successful teams in this era in the biggest game twice.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Until he loses one. That's why sports is like sales. What have you done for me lately? Look at how Brady was treated after losing this game when he played outstanding.

It's no secret that I have absolutely no love for Romo (though I did stick up for him after the NYG loss) but I don't really have any love for Eli either. But lets look at the facts.

Romo: 1-3 post-season record

Manning: 8-3 post-season record, 2 Super Bowls Championships, 2 Super Bowl MVP's

I don't think Eli is as good as all the hype, but he's certainly better than Romo. And in my opinion at no point did Eli ever have the best team in the league around him, but they got it done. Romo has had some decent teams around him, usually about on par with what the Giants had (if not better at times), but for whatever reason they DIDN'T get it done. This is a team sport, so you can't put all the praise or blame on any one person, but Eli has something Romo doesn't. I think Eli is much more competitive, composed, and has several other intangibles that Romo just doesn't.

Yes it's true that the Giants fans will turn on Eli if he doesn't play as well in the future, but that's every damn city. Living in Dallas I've seen it first hand around here many times. Tom Landry, Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith are just a few Cowboys Legends that I specifically remember people calling for their retirement or firing. So I don't really see the point in calling out Giants fans for this, unless it's just jealousy over the fact they just won a Super Bowl. Sports fans are fickle, all there is to it, it's not a New York or Boston thing.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    edited February 2012
    RW81233 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    what more did romo have to do for you this year? underthrow a pass so that hammy mcaustin could catch it? he came back against the 49ers on the road (NFC runner up) with broken ribs...he brought the cowboys back to within 7 of the eventual SB champion with a broken hand and should have gotten the ball back with a chance to tie if our defense could have stopped a classic eli throw-it-up there ball...Gave us a lead against the Super Bowl runner-up only to watch our defense lose it.

Sure there were a couple bad games at the start of the year, but he hadn't played NFL football for almost a year at that point. In short I do criticize him when warranted but Romo was badass this season (completed something like 86 percent of his passes out of the pocket - that's absurd).
    I've hated Romo from day one and wanted him gone after the playoff fg bobble in Seattle years ago. Hes a talented qb, but doesn't have the leadership qualities if you held a gun to his head.
    there's a real fine line between Romo and say Eli...like if Romo doesn't let that ball slip he's got another playoff win at least, if Crayton doesn't drop a ball Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Samuel doesn't drop a pick Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl win, if Austin catches a ball the Cowboys are in the playoffs and Giants are out, if Welker catches a ball Eli doesn't win. The Cowboys can win with Romo, and there aren't a lot of QBs like that out there. He's def. not perfect, but neither is Eli - one has had a bit more luck at the right times than the other.

I don't live in a what if world, I live in REALITY and the NOW and right now Romo hasn't won shit and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same Breath as Eli or any other elite qb. Eli has buncha 4th quarter comeback and 2 super bowl MVP'S compared to Romo's nothingness. Eli has the moxy to be a leader and get the locker to believe in him. Something Romo doesn't have. Please don't ever discuss qb's cause you are clueless. FFS some players wanted kitna to be qb over romo. Luck will always be involved in this sport. Some qb's like Aikman and Bradshaw are lucky to fall into a good team and others fall into the what if group like marino or moon and everyother qb like them. Romo to me is another Danny White when its all said and done. I hope I'm wrong just cause I wanna see this team will another super bowl and be at the game and hopefully see the cowboys win.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Romo to me is another Danny White.

Danny White was more productive than Romo, he took the Cowboys to three straight NFC Championship games. Romo is closer to Steve Pueller or Gary Hogeboom.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

Danny White was more productive than Romo, he took the Cowboys to three straight NFC Championship games. Romo is closer to Steve Pueller or Gary Hogeboom.
    thanks for pointing the absurdity of my post. My point worked in the comparison of Romo to Eli and the absurdity of it.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,506
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's no secret that I have absolutely no love for Romo (though I did stick up for him after the NYG loss) but I don't really have any love for Eli either. But lets look at the facts.

Romo: 1-3 post-season record

Manning: 8-3 post-season record, 2 Super Bowls Championships, 2 Super Bowl MVP's

I don't think Eli is as good as all the hype, but he's certainly better than Romo. And in my opinion at no point did Eli ever have the best team in the league around him, but they got it done. Romo has had some decent teams around him, usually about on par with what the Giants had (if not better at times), but for whatever reason they DIDN'T get it done. This is a team sport, so you can't put all the praise or blame on any one person, but Eli has something Romo doesn't. I think Eli is much more competitive, composed, and has several other intangibles that Romo just doesn't.

Yes it's true that the Giants fans will turn on Eli if he doesn't play as well in the future, but that's every damn city. Living in Dallas I've seen it first hand around here many times. Tom Landry, Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith are just a few Cowboys Legends that I specifically remember people calling for their retirement or firing. So I don't really see the point in calling out Giants fans for this, unless it's just jealousy over the fact they just won a Super Bowl. Sports fans are fickle, all there is to it, it's not a New York or Boston thing.

fantastic post. spot on.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    metsfan wrote:

...and Danny White was also the team's punter.....it took a miracle (The Catch) to deny Danny White a trip to the Super Bowl
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    There is no comparison between Romo and Manning, there is a reason Manning was drafted and Romo wasn't. I think when Parcell's signed Romo it was to be the bus driver as Parcell's used to say. With the right team I think Romo can get to a superbowl, but realistcally speaking this team is no where near being a SB contender they have way too many holes to fill.

The Giants this year had a much better team than the Cowboys...who wouldn't take Cruz and Nicks for Bryant and Austin, Bradshaw for either of our backs, their O line for our O line, their defensive front 7 for our defensive front 7.

I don't see 1 area of our team where we were better than the Giants.

The Cowboys spend a high draft pick on a receiver and after 2 seasons he's only the 3rd best receiver on this team and our best receiver wasn't even on the opening day roster.

Jones continues to make the same mistake year after year...he extends Witten and Ratliff contracts till their almost 35...he's been around football long enough to know that most football players skills fall off after their 30's...how much salary cap is tied up on players who are no longer on the team? and the he did it again this year with Witten, Ratliff, Scandrick and Hamlin none of which will see the end of the contracts.

Then you get to his shrewd drafting :lol:...in order to build a winner you need to find more than a player or 2 in each draft :lol:.

The 1 constant on this team since 1995 is JERRY JONES...they will not win with him as GM.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    tybird wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

...and Danny White was also the team's punter.....it took a miracle (The Catch) to deny Danny White a trip to the Super Bowl

That's true...

I just can't figure out why everyone wants to compare Romo to White or Manning...this Cowboy team up and down the roster is not very good.

On D we have 3 good defensive players, Lee, Ratliff, Ware.

On O we have 1 lineman in Smith, a starting TE who is on the downside of his career and the guy that should be our number 1 receiver a FA.

I don't see much on this team that gives me hope.

Early in the season I did, but this team regressed so fast at the end of the season.

I figure we'll be 6-10 next year and looking for new coaches when they should be hiring a GM.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

The 1 constant on this team since 1995 is JERRY JONES...they will not win with him as GM.

When can we start placing the blame on the players? The Cowboys have a team that can win a superbowl with a few additions/subtractions. I don't think it's a lack of talent. However, the difference I see is the players. They need to bond together, play like a team and go to war for each other. That's what wins championships! Of course, you need someone capable of drafting the right players but when it comes down to it, the heart of the player wins championships. Just ask the NYG. They didn't look great until it counted. They showed the heart, efffort and TEAM spirit that ultimately got it done. They were poised and had their eyes set on ONE thing. They were awesome!

Maybe everything I mentioned DOES come down to 1 thing. Leadership. I don't think Eli the player is ANY better than Romo the player. However, I know that Eli the leader is way above Romo the leader at this point.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I figure we'll be 6-10 next year and looking for new coaches when they should be hiring a GM.

I think you are very wrong there. This year's team was 8-8, had several games that could have gone either way, and could have been 12-4. So, to say they are going to finish a dismal 6-10 after they make some changes AND have a full training camp with Rob Ryan is premature. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I still see them as being competitors for the division crown next season. A couple O linemen, maybe a better #2 TE , a new CB(Kirkpatrick?), a new safety and a change in the middle(Brooking and James need to go) and they may have a significantly better team. As long as they improve enough to make the playoffs, anything can happen. I'm not saying they are superbowl contenders because that is premature as well with the draft and free agency yet to take place.
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I think you are very wrong there. ...I'm not saying they are superbowl contenders because that is premature as well with the draft and free agency yet to take place.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Cowboys have a team that can win a superbowl with a few additions/subtractions..

:thumbup:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I think you are very wrong there. This year's team was 8-8, had several games that could have gone either way, and could have been 12-4. So, to say they are going to finish a dismal 6-10 after they make some changes AND have a full training camp with Rob Ryan is premature. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I still see them as being competitors for the division crown next season. A couple O linemen, maybe a better #2 TE , a new CB(Kirkpatrick?), a new safety and a change in the middle(Brooking and James need to go) and they may have a significantly better team. As long as they improve enough to make the playoffs, anything can happen. I'm not saying they are superbowl contenders because that is premature as well with the draft and free agency yet to take place.

I'll stick with 6-10...as Bill Parcell's used to say "you are what you are"...this team was 8-8...next year 6-10, they'll be fighting Washington for the caller.

• Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

When can we start placing the blame on the players? The Cowboys have a team that can win a superbowl with a few additions/subtractions. I don't think it's a lack of talent. However, the difference I see is the players. They need to bond together, play like a team and go to war for each other. That's what wins championships! Of course, you need someone capable of drafting the right players but when it comes down to it, the heart of the player wins championships. Just ask the NYG. They didn't look great until it counted. They showed the heart, efffort and TEAM spirit that ultimately got it done. They were poised and had their eyes set on ONE thing. They were awesome!

Maybe everything I mentioned DOES come down to 1 thing. Leadership. I don't think Eli the player is ANY better than Romo the player. However, I know that Eli the leader is way above Romo the leader at this point.

You need players, this team only has a hand full of decent players on both sides of the ball. Romo doesn't have to be the leader, in the early 90's I would say Irvin was the leader of the team. In Baltimore it's Ray Lewis...anyone can step and be the leader...know one does on this team.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    You need players, this team only has a hand full of decent players on both sides of the ball. Romo doesn't have to be the leader, in the early 90's I would say Irvin was the leader of the team. In Baltimore it's Ray Lewis...anyone can step and be the leader...know one does on this team.

I know. How can NOONE want to step up and be a leader for fucks sake!?? Even though Brooking is a douche, he tried to be the leader..What about Ware? Sean Lee? I think it would be awesome to have a leader that is on the defensive side of the ball. I just don't get it sometimes with this team. They had the world by the balls and had to win 1 game, yes, 1 game to get into the tournament and couldn't find the heart to do so... :roll:
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I think you are very wrong there. This year's team was 8-8, had several games that could have gone either way, and could have been 12-4.

The Cowboys 8-8 record is a little misleading and makes them look average when I think they were less than average. They had a very easy schedule. They only played 4 teams with an above .500 record, and in of those 5 games (since they played NYG twice) they only had 1 win. They beat San Francisco, I'm not sure what happened there, could be every dog has their day, San Fran was having an off day, or maybe the underachieving Cowboys just showed up that day. I don't know. That's 1 quality win though, it's all they accomplished all season long. They only beat one division team, the 5-11 Redskins in two games that were closer than they should have been, if Dallas were any good that is.
  • Options

The Cowboys 8-8 record is a little misleading and makes them look average when I think they were less than average. They had a very easy schedule. They only played 4 teams with an above .500 record, and in of those 5 games (since they played NYG twice) they only had 1 win. They beat San Francisco, I'm not sure what happened there, could be every dog has their day, San Fran was having an off day, or maybe the underachieving Cowboys just showed up that day. I don't know. That's 1 quality win though, it's all they accomplished all season long. They only beat one division team, the 5-11 Redskins in two games that were closer than they should have been, if Dallas were any good that is.

Right. The Pats record was even more misleading since they didn't beat any teams with a winning record until the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. While it may be important for some to over-analyze strength of schedule and wins based on opponents record, one fact remains the same. Any team can win a 60-minute football game, regardless of your record and strength of schedule. I don't think you can judge the Cowboys or any team by that measure. They could have gone 15-1 if they get a few breaks. They could have gone 4-12 as well.

A win is a win. That's my point.
  • Options
    coulda. woulda. shoulda.

the cowboys were an 8-8 football team.

nothing more. nothing less.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    coulda. woulda. shoulda.

the cowboys were an 8-8 football team.

nothing more. nothing less.

:clap: Exactly.
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:

Right. The Pats record was even more misleading since they didn't beat any teams with a winning record until the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. While it may be important for some to over-analyze strength of schedule and wins based on opponents record, one fact remains the same. Any team can win a 60-minute football game, regardless of your record and strength of schedule. I don't think you can judge the Cowboys or any team by that measure. They could have gone 15-1 if they get a few breaks. They could have gone 4-12 as well.

A win is a win. That's my point.

I won't argue that a win is a win, but if you're going to use their 8-8 record to point out they weren't that bad, it is worth pointing out their schedule wasn't that tough. The Pats record was misleading, if anybody had been talking about how great they were because of it, but most people were quick to point out the weak schedule when talking about them. The big difference between Dallas and the Pats was that they did their job and dominated their weak schedule. With the exception of losing to Buffalo, they beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and had two understandable losses to New York and Pittsburgh.

Dallas did get a few breaks, which led to them winning several games they could have lost. For each bad break they had, they got a good one.
  • Options
    There is only 1 way I see the Cowboys being competitive next year...Draft a center in round 1, sign the FA guard from NO, sign Robinson get a reliable number 2 TE...basically throw all there eggs in the offense because it can be fixed quicker...as for the D they need 2 CB and a safety and 2 starting linebackers.

If they are unwilling to to that then they might as well draft Romo's replacement...I believe he has 2 years left on his contract, I really hope they don't extend it, but we know Jones will extend the contract.

Only way I see them doing much next year is by scoring a lot.

• Options
    Did Romo have anything to do with Tiger's horrible play in the final round? Coincidence? :lol:
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Did Romo have anything to do with Tiger's horrible play in the final round? Coincidence? :lol:

I doubt it :lol::lol:, but I'm sure he'll get the blame by someone. I know people who are huge Woods fans and they just refuse to believe that maybe he's lost his game for good or he's on the downside of his career. It does seem that once a golfer loses his game it usually never comes back to where it once was.

I guess we'll see going forward...I do know this the other golfers he plays with no longer find him intimidating and I think that was a big part of his mental game.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

I doubt it :lol::lol:, but I'm sure he'll get the blame by someone. I know people who are huge Woods fans and they just refuse to believe that maybe he's lost his game for good or he's on the downside of his career. It does seem that once a golfer loses his game it usually never comes back to where it once was.

I guess we'll see going forward...I do know this the other golfers he plays with no longer find him intimidating and I think that was a big part of his mental game.

Yeah, I didn't notice Lefty shaking while he was putting with Tiger lurking nearby :lol:

I think Woods is very close to returning to form. He just needs to dial in that putter and he should be alright. I think he gets a major win this year...
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    There is only 1 way I see the Cowboys being competitive next year...Draft a center in round 1, sign the FA guard from NO, sign Robinson get a reliable number 2 TE...basically throw all there eggs in the offense because it can be fixed quicker...as for the D they need 2 CB and a safety and 2 starting linebackers.

If they are unwilling to to that then they might as well draft Romo's replacement...I believe he has 2 years left on his contract, I really hope they don't extend it, but we know Jones will extend the contract.

Only way I see them doing much next year is by scoring a lot.
    agreed with everything you said, but I'd like to a CB drafted in the first round